Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? (17489 Views)

W.H.O Scientists Investigate ‘mysterious Deaths’ In Nigerian Town (graphic Pics) / Suspicious Deaths At A Chinese Company In Lagos / Boko Haram Deaths In Pictures-not For The Faint-hearted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by deeptesting(m): 1:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
@OP I feel you but the truth is, Nigeria is a third world country that is ravaged with poverty, no functioning institutions, where superstitious beliefs reigns supreme over simple reasoning, where everything is left to God to resolve, we can go on and on,,,It is just sad and pathetic, the most pathetic fact is that no one cares, we just go about our daily activities as if all is well, loosing sight of the fact that we or someone close to us might be a victim someday....Well, you can start an NGO that is basically committed to unraveling the circumstances of suspicious death in Nigeria, sure you have the passion...Hit the Internet make research, get in touch with international NGO's and start small, don't forget that it is a delicate job that may consume your life and your death might go unresolved....That's just the fact....RIP to all whose death remains unresolved and their killers are walking free due to the failure of our government and investigative institutions...Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:17pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

I actually reported to the police by suggesting that her death looks suspicious, but they didn't take me seriously because i didn't have any evidence and tried to say its a libel against the man, it would have been looked into closely and given more attention if it was reported by any body from the family. . .I am not a family member, I don't even know them, just went there to separate them once when they were fighting. . .Keep yawing. . .
**In Sergent Dudu's voice** : "are you in LOVE with this woman? You've even seperated them once before; that makes you a prime suspect! Constable! Strip him and lock him up!"
Guy luck up! If you like that woman tell us, it's a different ball game from that perspective! **Just saying** grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 1:18pm On Aug 08, 2013
Tragically this is the fact

Murder cases take time too to solve

bellong: Op,

The problem is complicated and institutional.

If you have ever entered police trouble before, you will know that an armed robber is a better friend compared to the police.

Before people can voluntary supply information without the fear of being roped into the case, the police must first gain the confidence of the population. How will you be encouraged to report to police when the previous one you reported landed you in trouble that took divine intervention to get off it.

Have you visited the forensic section of the NPF in Ikoyi before? It is as good as a collection office.

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Rawpidgin(m): 1:18pm On Aug 08, 2013
the police should do their job alone, nigerians are no snitch
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by k10: 1:20pm On Aug 08, 2013
Some do get investigated. It depends largely on the family of the deceased -- how wealthy or how influential they are. Remember the case of the husband who stabbed his banker wife to death or the death of facebook cynthia etc

who wants to go to the police, who will accuse you of complicity or libel ( as you said) but if you are wealthy or influential then the police will believe you.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by segzicres(m): 1:20pm On Aug 08, 2013
I understand how people feel when they avoid police wahala. I almost slept in jail because someone said my car looks like his stolen vehicle, I gave them all my papers and the way they handled it and collected 5k for bail was soo annoying! Imagine! The person I bought it from came and they collected bail too. Since they I don't ever pity any policeman, if they get shot it's good news as far as I'm concerned. Back to the topic, I don't wanna sound like an ATHIEST but I feel the reason nigeria won't move forward is because of religion. I'm a christian and I've seen may situations when someone feels cheated or was actually cheated and d pastor will say "leave it for GOD". Too many issues but I'll stop here today cause I'm beginning to type this with emotions(anger).

8 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by IAMBREEZY: 1:21pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje: There is a guy who I am really sure killed his wife here in Nigeria, they have been having serious issues, suddenly the wife a very healthy woman was said to have died 2 days ago and the reason given was that she fell in the bath room. Now people are crying. . No one is pointing accusing fingers at the husband, no police has been called in, no autopsy, nothing, as muslims the woman was buried the next day. A killer has gone away with murder in this crazy country of ours, I am very sure he killed that woman. I know there are may other similar cases as well.

In a community that I visited in Benue about 3 ladies have been found dead in the community in a span of 3 months but no body seems to be doing any thing about it, even the police have not been called in, people are just living in fear, while a serial killer is on the lose. . .Why don't we report such cases to the police? When a dead body is found people try to identify it and then bury it, no one calls the police to come, when the police comes people don't want to coperate by speaking up, some people go as far as saying that it is the will of god. . .I know that our police lack the capacity to conduct such complicated investigations, but some little lead here and there can help. . .

I am just angry today so my rants might not seem coherent. . .I seriously believe that many people kill their family members both nuclear and extended or spouses and claim they died in their sleep or had a domestic accident and the issue just dies like that, no investigation, no questioning, nothing. . .Imagine a husband telling people that he found his wife's body in the bath room, he said she fell and died and that's all. . .People just accepted that explanation with out any question, next thing people are praying for her soul and reciting Arabic verses from the Koran. . .what is that?. . .Am pissed. . .
op since u knew the man killed his wife why
didn't u report to the cops. smiley
mazaje: There is a guy who I am really sure killed his wife here in Nigeria, they have been having serious issues, suddenly the wife a very healthy woman was said to have died 2 days ago and the reason given was that she fell in the bath room. Now people are crying. . No one is pointing accusing fingers at the husband, no police has been called in, no autopsy, nothing, as muslims the woman was buried the next day. A killer has gone away with murder in this crazy country of ours, I am very sure he killed that woman. I know there are may other similar cases as well.

In a community that I visited in Benue about 3 ladies have been found dead in the community in a span of 3 months but no body seems to be doing any thing about it, even the police have not been called in, people are just living in fear, while a serial killer is on the lose. . .Why don't we report such cases to the police? When a dead body is found people try to identify it and then bury it, no one calls the police to come, when the police comes people don't want to coperate by speaking up, some people go as far as saying that it is the will of god. . .I know that our police lack the capacity to conduct such complicated investigations, but some little lead here and there can help. . .

I am just angry today so my rants might not seem coherent. . .I seriously believe that many people kill their family members both nuclear and extended or spouses and claim they died in their sleep or had a domestic accident and the issue just dies like that, no investigation, no questioning, nothing. . .Imagine a husband telling people that he found his wife's body in the bath room, he said she fell and died and that's all. . .People just accepted that explanation with out any question, next thing people are praying for her soul and reciting Arabic verses from the Koran. . .what is that?. . .Am pissed. . .
op since u knew the man killed his wife why
didn't u report to the cops.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2013
You have asked good questions but there are more to ask

Why do we have the highest paid politicians in the world?
Why is corruption the order of the day in Abuja?
Why are our hospitals not working?
Why havent we found the killers of Dele Giwa, Funsho Williams, Harry Marshall, Kudirat Abiola, Bola Ige?
Why is unemployment rate high and no one is doing anything?
Why is power still a huge problem?
Why are our roads very bad and no one is complaining?

The simple answer is that we do not care. Each person is only after his/her own comfort and is not interested in the common good of the society. Our police are very poorly trained and they cannot carry out a detailed investigation - thats why. And if you ask them to carry out an investigation, you will have to part with a huge bribe that most people cannot afford.

I am not even sure of the competence of our doctors - no offense. And in the case of muslims, how can you perform an autopsy when the dead have to be buried by the next day.

We will start seeing a change when people begin to care about their neighbour. All people just say is that "its not my business or its not my problem". We really care only about ourselves that is why people do not report. The police doesnt care either except they will make a huge amount from it. Truth is that we only care about ourselves!

9 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Youngzedd(m): 1:22pm On Aug 08, 2013
jude d writer: because we don't value lives in dis country. In america, they can investigate d death of a child up to 10 years till they trace d killer; d whole nation is tensed when a citizen dies. here, boko kills scores of kids and within a week we forget all about it.

They investigate the death of a cat not to talk of humans.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 08, 2013

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Skmoda360(m): 1:25pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

The thing tire me, but in some cases its very glaring, a man that is having serious issues with his wife should be questioned at least when she suddenly dies from domestic accident, but no, every body is busy praying for he departed soul and a person has gotten away with murder. . .What is that?. .Many people are getting away with murder in naija, its just crazy. . .
Walai my bro
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by zolajpower: 1:26pm On Aug 08, 2013
LET GOD BE THE JUDGE Q.E.D
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
debrief08: Because we are mentally lazy.
We prefer our superstitions to real actual facts.
We prefer to believe that a "wombless" Pastors wife will mysteriously give birth to a 10pound baby without asking questions like if there was a womb transplant, where is the Doctors report, what was actually medically done.
We prefer to jump from one prayer house to the other rather than focus our energy and harness the scientific breakthroughs God helped Doctors to discover.
We prefer to believe a Pastor who under 3 months learns the art of sweet mouth than a Doctor with 10 years of training, and 20 years of professional practice.
We prefer to lazily "leave it to God" than to equip our labs and take the years and study foresic sciences.
We prefer to hide things than say it out so others can learn and apply your mistakes and experiences to their own decisions.
We also prefer to carry rumours of money rituals than simple basic scientific tests
Simple answer: we are lazy, pretentious, religious hypocrites. That's all
Round of applause jare

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Hadelhi: 1:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
Well, a very good question to ask. But I can say in the Medical World, we investigate the cause of death everytime there is a death case, be it in-patient or Out-patient. That is why they call it Autopsy....Just a humble submission.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by orgasticdance: 1:29pm On Aug 08, 2013
could it be correlated with the fact that we don't have a translation of a term like autopsy in any of our indigenous languages? if we don't then it shows we don't really care about the basic stuff. that's what it falls on ultimately undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Ramcie(f): 1:29pm On Aug 08, 2013
berem: Karma is a bytch! He which kills by the sword, dies by the sword.

Chineke! which kain made in China English be this? correct am sharply. haba! gringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by obi123: 1:30pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.

and even if he goes to the police nko, what exactly will they do? the crime scene has since been compromised , do we have what is called CSI, even the good actors and actresses with their yrs of acting and the equipments on the set of CSI Miami will do better than our police, i trust David Caruso aka Horatio caine , only him can solve all our crime problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by victorv12(m): 1:31pm On Aug 08, 2013
It's because we don't like ourselves, laziness and corruption. Our police are too corrupt to carry out any proper investigation without it being stained with corruption. How many political killing were they able to solve not to talk about the normal day to day killing that's happening? Again, poverty as finished Nigerians too...Nobody cares. Nobody is ready to assist the police or give out information to assist them. To cut things short, poverty as finished Nigeria!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by bookface: 1:32pm On Aug 08, 2013

When you say "very sure", either you are a witness to the alleged murder incident, or you have very credible evidence that implicates the husband in the death of the his wife. Being "very sure" just because of your sentiments/suspicions is a little silly, won't you say?

Although, on the subject matter itself, "why we don't investigate deaths in Nigeria", i believe this is merely an offshoot of the general incompetence of the Nigerian Police/Judiciary.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by laplace19(m): 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.
. 90% of this problem is mostly as a result of the Nigerian police inability to conduct such complicated probes and not as a result of most citizens non-reporting attitude. Let me ask you,how many such cases has the police carried out and the aftermath proved "success"? This is 9ja,you fit report sef and enter into wahala,especially in the case of all these rich influential businessmen and politicians. So shine your eyes.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by juman(m): 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
Because nigeria is a country on its knees.

nigeria is a country ravages by problem of 'one nigeria'.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by collynzo2(m): 1:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje:

I actually reported to the police by suggesting that her death looks suspicious, but they didn't take me seriously because i didn't have any evidence and tried to say its a libel against the man, it would have been looked into closely and given more attention if it was reported by any body from the family. . .I am not a family member, I don't even know them, just went there to separate them once when they were fighting. . .Keep yawing. . .
...and what evidence would the family members have had? They probably have seen time fighting before and separated them just like you did. What else?
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by yungtunchi: 1:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
nobody cares except it affect dem,,we need to be our brothers keeper before we can move forward,,,wat do u expect wen bribery the order of the day,,d killers are sumtimes politicians so hw do u investigate someone who is giving u huge sum of money
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 1:40pm On Aug 08, 2013
yung tunchi: nobody cares except it affect dem,,we need to be our brothers keeper before we can move forward,,,wat do u expect wen bribery the order of the day,,d killers are sumtimes politicians so hw do u investigate someone who is giving u huge sum of money

Even when it affects them, they still turn blind eyes and blame the devil

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by collynzo2(m): 1:40pm On Aug 08, 2013
berem: Karma is a bytch! He which kills by the sword, dies by the sword.
Gbagaun!!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 08, 2013
mkmyers45: The lord giveth and the lord taketh away
No! Actually it should be,"The lord giveth, household wickedness taketh away." And the phrase,"its the will of Allah." are two of the reason boko haram wont see anything wrong with their bombing of innocent souls! As for me, the God I serve is not the author of confussion.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Truckpusher(m): 1:42pm On Aug 08, 2013
It's no longer news that a lot of people are getting away with murder on daily basis because all the agencies in place are in total shambles though ignorance and inadequate resources are largely to blame for this......it's a pathetic situation sha! little wonder Nigerians are flocking into churches in their thousands because this is the only place where they can find solace and hope for justice that the government and her institutions fails to provide.....smh
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by IYANGBALI: 1:42pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva:
Cos you are asking why. If you had gone, you would have spoken up about your experience there. Any more questions? *yawns*
I am suspecting you of the woman,s death
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by cyril10(m): 1:43pm On Aug 08, 2013
Nigeria is a very lawless and carefree country, plenty nonsense going on everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Ayoobscom(m): 1:44pm On Aug 08, 2013
Why do I sense hypocrisy in the article...what is the relevance of when the person was buried and the verse which was recited?

@op we know the hidden objective of this post.

Has any Muslim here watched skyfall,the part where james bond was quizzed for intellectual fitness?

@op it will certainly take you lesser energy to report your suspicion to police than investing your energy in bigotting your sourceless faboo on nairaland where nobody can help you.

Oponu.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
WHO GET TIME ? IF YOU DIE, YOU WERE MEANT TO DIE. LIFE IS FOR THE LIVING. LET THE DEAD BURY THEIR DEAD. cheesy
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by freeangel: 1:45pm On Aug 08, 2013
that is Nigeria for u.. nigerian police are makin matters worst u better go nd thank God that u were not arrested for d death u know nothing about

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Police Arrests Suspected Armed Robbers In Akwa Ibom (Pictured) / Abducted Plateau Bride-To-Be Regains Freedom (Photo) / Shari’ah Court’s N7,000 Fine On Rapists In Zaria Sparks Controversy (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.