Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? (17486 Views)

W.H.O Scientists Investigate ‘mysterious Deaths’ In Nigerian Town (graphic Pics) / Suspicious Deaths At A Chinese Company In Lagos / Boko Haram Deaths In Pictures-not For The Faint-hearted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
Oj wishes he was nigerian

He'd be sitting pretty
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by touchmeder: 3:27pm On Aug 08, 2013
Op i feel you. whether there is foul play involved or not our police are not good. they are poorly trained and do not have the resources to carry out a simple investigation that can be solved ASAP. What am i saying, let me give you 2 instances. A simple issue a family member reported of clear theft and the officer on duty taking statement said
''ok madame, please give me money for foolscap sheet''

now you know that is going to be a very long night indeed.

Secondly a case i would never forget a neighbor very young girl maybe primary 4 or 5 was taken advantage of by another neighbor a young man.Some said it was consensual s e x others said it was rape, in any case what can a girl of that age willingly do plus she claimed it was rape. The young man didnt deny, he only made excuses while his parents pleaded for mercy. The case was not reported although the girls parents threatened to, i saw neighbors(who i consider knowledgeable and educated) plead for calm on the young man's behalf ''leave it for God, let God judge''. I dont know if they would have done the same if it was their daughter.
The case ended, with medical bills and some money paid to the girls parents. Life went on.
I never looked at that young girl in the same way, same for my educated neighbors. Now thats naija for you

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by korexdodo(m): 3:28pm On Aug 08, 2013
Nigerians are very wise! There is no point spending money on the investigation in this poverty stricken country.
Instead use the money to take care of the relatives left behind.
Example: all investigations into deaths of OJ Simpsons wife, Micheal Jackson, Tupac, Biggie...... how did they end?
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:29pm On Aug 08, 2013
toosweet: You don't just go to the police cos you settled quarell for people once and that they usually have issues, killing isnt easy the way you just said it and I thot you said you are sure, there must be evidence for you to say you are sure. A lot if people just drop dead especially in this Lagos cos they have high BP and dont know it cos they wont go for medical check up, they assume every headache is to be cured by a paracetamol which in reality is a sign of something more dangerous.

You making a big mistake bro. The OP is saying here that the deceased case should be investigate and the conclusive cause of her death must be find out. It not just easy to believe that someone healthy was in the bathroom, fell of and died just like that. The first person to question in this case is her husband and people they said house together. It is very easy to fish out something from her autopsy pointing to body harassment...she might be hit and drowned in the bath tub. It might be poison or health problem or anything but Which ever way, the autopsy will give a better understanding for her death. Imagine a man fighting and beating his wife often and often, dont you think it will have an effect on the woman. IT IS BETTER TO QUESTION THINGS AND SEEK PROPER INVESTIGATION.......thats how life is. The husband, housemate and those she dealt with before her death should be questioned.

Letting this problem untouched will give stance for another unreasonable killing hiding in the disguise of natural death and wont be investigated and truth fished out
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2013

Here's why:

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.
Don't you know that a person reporting suspects to the Nigerian Police Force is himself a suspect?
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Bella3(f): 3:33pm On Aug 08, 2013
II know of a pregnant woman in my neigbourhood, who was beat to death by her husband, but guess what??
The miserable family simply said ' Allah knows best'.

Women are mostly on the recieving end.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by babydioku(f): 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2013
Op you sound so sure that the man killed the wife. Where you having something going on with the man's wife while she was alive.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by raypapy(m): 3:41pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva: Because, people like you who have suspicions about a certain persons death; don't go to the police to make a report but come to nairaland to bore us.
and when he goes to police what moral does police have toward ppl reportin..he could be slam in cell or probably turn the murder on..public awareness like dis on n/land is great step coz most of us wil knw whr we lack
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by flexymole: 3:47pm On Aug 08, 2013

i think coming to nairaland is a step to sensitize us on things we over look, n u n those that liked ur post re actually guilty of emotional murder...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Crixina(f): 3:51pm On Aug 08, 2013
obowunmi: Even Americans don't know how people died. So many unresolved murders.
they may not know all,but they try their best.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 08, 2013
because politicians do alot o killings.
because pathologists are few in the country

because there is no strong coroner law in the country

because everything na will of God

because nobody is willing to request for autopsy report

because nobody is ready to pay pathologists for autopsy services
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Toecynne(m): 3:55pm On Aug 08, 2013
mazaje: There is a guy who I am really sure killed his wife here in Nigeria, they have been having serious issues, suddenly the wife a very healthy woman was said to have died 2 days ago and the reason given was that she fell in the bath room. Now people are crying. . No one is pointing accusing fingers at the husband, no police has been called in, no autopsy, nothing, as muslims the woman was buried the next day. A killer has gone away with murder in this crazy country of ours, I am very sure he killed that woman. I know there are may other similar cases as well.

In a community that I visited in Benue about 3 ladies have been found dead in the community in a span of 3 months but no body seems to be doing any thing about it, even the police have not been called in, people are just living in fear, while a serial killer is on the lose. . .Why don't we report such cases to the police? When a dead body is found people try to identify it and then bury it, no one calls the police to come, when the police comes people don't want to coperate by speaking up, some people go as far as saying that it is the will of god. . .I know that our police lack the capacity to conduct such complicated investigations, but some little lead here and there can help. . .

I am just angry today so my rants might not seem coherent. . .I seriously believe that many people kill their family members both nuclear and extended or spouses and claim they died in their sleep or had a domestic accident and the issue just dies like that, no investigation, no questioning, nothing. . .Imagine a husband telling people that he found his wife's body in the bath room, he said she fell and died and that's all. . .People just accepted that explanation with out any question, next thing people are praying for her soul and reciting Arabic verses from the Koran. . .what is that?. . .Am pissed. . .
in 9ja if day kill u.. Its NATURAL
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by sloo1: 4:02pm On Aug 08, 2013
Watch crime and investigation channel you will understand that Nigeria is very backward in solving crimes.
Our problems include:
No good forensic labs
No comprehensive data base
Poorly equipt police force ...
Etc etc etc etc
Crixina: they may not know all,but they try their best.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Ferdinandu(m): 4:03pm On Aug 08, 2013
Life is so cheap in this Country,Police is so corrupt that the money being allocated to it on yearly basis seems useless.People are so ignorant ,superstitious and completely brain washed that sometimes you feel like you have to be flogging some people every day to wake them up from their captivity.In a sane society every death no matter how obvious the cause of the death need doctors report on cause of death,if there is a little suspicion nobody dare touch the corpse until the police has finished the preliminary investigation.As of now somebody is being murdered or about to be murdered and nobody is going to care to go the extra mile to know the cause of death.it is a pathetic situation."It is God's will " is a phrase that seems to be causing more problem than solution in this country.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by chimchim1(m): 4:09pm On Aug 08, 2013
One of d reasons is dt to start an investigation U̶̲̥̅̊ need to report an incident via d Nigerian police. Å̝Ω̴̩̩ϑ remember dt most times wen people report to police dey become suspect. Å̝Ω̴̩̩ϑ no one wants to suspect for reporting a case.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Femijay: 4:13pm On Aug 08, 2013
We don't have enough Pathologist in Nigeria to examine every death, plus it's easier to kill and not be caught in this God forsaken country. Human life has no value, practically cheaper than the dirt we walk on. Mobs lynch people everyday, the law enforcement people kill everyday and no one gets prosecuted. It's much safer in Kabul or Congo than any street in Nigeria.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by collynzo2(m): 4:16pm On Aug 08, 2013
Jerry-jat:

that one of the reason i love the west... your neighbor is watching....
Lies! The west even mind their businesses more than us.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by kabaka1: 4:17pm On Aug 08, 2013
debrief08: Because we are mentally lazy.
We prefer our superstitions to real actual facts.
We prefer to believe that a "wombless" Pastors wife will mysteriously give birth to a 10pound baby without asking questions like if there was a womb transplant, where is the Doctors report, what was actually medically done.
We prefer to jump from one prayer house to the other rather than focus our energy and harness the scientific breakthroughs God helped Doctors to discover.
We prefer to believe a Pastor who under 3 months learns the art of sweet mouth than a Doctor with 10 years of training, and 20 years of professional practice.
We prefer to lazily "leave it to God" than to equip our labs and take the years and study foresic sciences.
We prefer to hide things than say it out so others can learn and apply your mistakes and experiences to their own decisions.
We also prefer to carry rumours of money rituals than simple basic scientific tests
Simple answer: we are lazy, pretentious, religious hypocrites. That's all

U've just hit nail on Head as u don really summarize the main problem that impedes naija from advancing in terms of investigating suspicious death n other crimes
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by ireneidiva(f): 4:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
flexymole:

i think coming to nairaland is a step to sensitize us on things we over look, n u n those that liked ur post re actually guilty of emotional murder...
How am I guilty of 'emotional' murder?
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
The OP has raised a very important issue but our police are just too lazy to go the extra mile even when such is reported.

I remember early last year when I was in Division "B" police station Asaba there was this homicide investigation I assume was going on because I saw the DPO holding photos of the murdered lady but to my surprise I overheard the DPO telling his assistant that they should find a way to end the investigation so the relatives should bury the dead....He ended his statement with "God will judge the killer" undecided I was like WTF!!!

Nigeria should endeavor to have a complete biometric database of everyone in the country until then 90% of such homicides will remain unresolved.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 4:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
debrief08: Because we are mentally lazy.
We prefer our superstitions to real actual facts.
We prefer to believe that a "wombless" Pastors wife will mysteriously give birth to a 10pound baby without asking questions like if there was a womb transplant, where is the Doctors report, what was actually medically done.
We prefer to jump from one prayer house to the other rather than focus our energy and harness the scientific breakthroughs God helped Doctors to discover.
We prefer to believe a Pastor who under 3 months learns the art of sweet mouth than a Doctor with 10 years of training, and 20 years of professional practice.
We prefer to lazily "leave it to God" than to equip our labs and take the years and study foresic sciences.
We prefer to hide things than say it out so others can learn and apply your mistakes and experiences to their own decisions.
We also prefer to carry rumours of money rituals than simple basic scientific tests
Simple answer: we are lazy, pretentious, religious hypocrites. That's all
+10,000likes grin
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by DanAnyiam: 4:26pm On Aug 08, 2013
@Poster. I felt as you feel. Nigeria is such a place, where you can practically get away with murder. A serial killer can go many years and no one will know. Each day, week, month etc men and women will wake up in the morning and said that their other half is dead, no one ask question, People bring out the dead body of their child who was running around the day before, and quickly he is buried, no police is called, they will just bury the body. Even if police is called- they will ask whats their business. A police that cannot even clothe its men properly how can it afford or run a forensic unit.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by DanAnyiam: 4:35pm On Aug 08, 2013
baby_di_oku: Op you sound so sure that the man killed the wife. Where you having something going on with the man's wife while she was alive.
What sort of a baffoon are you? Brainless pig
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by armyofone(m): 4:36pm On Aug 08, 2013
Even if people go to the police, they don't have everything it takes to do crime scene investigations, complete autopsy etc People don't get away with crimes in the West. RIght now, my cell phone is being bombarded with Amber alert for a kidnapped person and I said to myself, this is just so wonderful and I'm on the look out for the car while driving lol!. That's how far they have gone in the west.
Nigeria is truly backward.

Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by kabaka1: 4:47pm On Aug 08, 2013
obowunmi: Even Americans don't know how people died. So many unresolved murders.

I think u have rephrase ur comment here, but I think u want 2 say that America 2 has some unsolved mysterious/suspicious deaths cases 2. That's absolutely true, I know they have hundreds of 'em per year, but d difference is that in America, in cases like this, through their professional investigative techniques, they always investigate about the nature of d relationship between d dead person n immediate relatives of d dead like d spouse/children etc b4 they lean towards a motive for suspicious death case at hand.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2013
ireneidiva:
Cos you are asking why. If you had gone, you would have spoken up about your experience there. Any more questions? *yawns*
when you listen to a lawyer or one with law background, you'll know him or her.
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by oladapo83: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2013
D truth of d matter concerning nigeria is d@ we don't av any long way to go cos we av lost d map to any meaningful road. End of tory
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
all dis thing dat u wrote doesn't make any sense,when they
are talking about investigation nd u are here talking religion and
pastor.who even need u in any religion,go find somewhere hid ur head i
use sense beg u o
Re: Why Don't We Investigate Deaths In Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 5:05pm On Aug 08, 2013
If i'm detained for killing my GF and i drop N2M for the hungry police, the DPO will probably load the whole case files in my boot so i can do whatever i like with it. Whats next? lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Policeman Kidnaps Dr. Ofodile Ekweogwu After He Treated Him - NMA Anambra / Father Burns His 8-Year-Old Daughter's Hand For Stealing In Kaduna (Graphic Pic) / Police Arrests Suspected Armed Robbers In Akwa Ibom (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.