Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,814 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? (39717 Views)

Why Most Guys Don't Marry Their Girlfriends... / 10 Things Most Guys Do When Expecting Their Girlfriends / Is It Normal For A Male Virgin To Have Wet Dreams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 4:22pm On Jun 15, 2008
crazykid,
and thats why I'm confuse. undecided sad
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by NegroNtns(m): 4:49pm On Jun 15, 2008
Gabryl, do they have a child in the family? If me and my girlfriend have a child, yes I see nothing wrong calling her mom. If no child between, no I will find another word to use. Calling her mom does not diminish my knowledge or rub me of the sense of priority of which womb I came out of. I know who mammie is and I know who mom is, calling her that is an affirmation of motherhood (I repeat affirmation, I didnt say validation, I dont want you ladies jumping on me "oh negro, what an insult, you got some nerves" grin)
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by amyg(f): 4:56pm On Jun 15, 2008
lol
lucky u if ur guy notices u beside him to cal u a pet name.knowing fully well that nigerian men r not romantic and sentimental.but mine calls me that and am happy about that cos he does it in public so am d first lady
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by bluesky4(f): 5:06pm On Jun 15, 2008
amyg:

lol
lucky u if your guy notices u beside him to cal u a pet name.knowing fully well that nigerian men r not romantic and sentimental.but mine calls me that and am happy about that because he does it in public so am d first lady

your bf calls u mom in public. . . oh my undecided
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nwaka77: 9:34pm On Jun 15, 2008
blue-sky:

your boyfriend calls u mom in public. . . oh my undecided

LMAO grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by skfa1: 10:47pm On Jun 15, 2008
crazykid:

If I call my girlfriend mum; what do you expect me to call my real mother

Baby or something grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by popsonj(m): 11:07pm On Jun 15, 2008
It'd better be "real mum" or "mother"

Anywayz there aint nothing bad there, i don't think this should be an issue you can all anybody anything as long as it implies respect and dignity. Just like you can use sir or ma for a kid, it all depends on you and what you believe, and besides you calling your girlfriend mum know quite right that she's not your mother, but to show how much you respect and adore her. NO RULES FOR THAT JUST A PLAY OF WORDS
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by cutensexxy(f): 11:50pm On Jun 15, 2008
im trying to understand the topic question, do you mean when your boyfriend calls you ma?, here in the U.S. thats what our men refer to us as, like for instance: whats up ma? mami (pronounced mommie) what u doin tonite? its just slang talk just like sometime we call our men daddy or papi (pronounced pop pee) if thats what you mean i can answer this question my honey does not call me that is calls me sweetie or baby, but im sure some 9ja men do call thier women mommie wink
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by osisi7: 12:05am On Jun 16, 2008
My former flame called me mom actually mommy lipsrsealed
I liked it sorta.
My husband calls me the same pet name my parents call me and I love it to pieces.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 16, 2008
osisi wat happened to sheniqua cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by squirrel20(f): 12:13am On Jun 16, 2008
Really do not like the idea of my boyfriend calling me mum even though it has happened in the past. i don't really like it, wonder where all these guys got the idea from.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by osisi7: 12:25am On Jun 16, 2008
jennykadry:

osisi what happened to sheniqua cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

ha egbuola sheni grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:27am On Jun 16, 2008
he he he osisi rio'ya ari rio oga apu ya?ogburumu yesterday hapu mu today
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 16, 2008
see this ppl. . .always getting banned. . .lol
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:30am On Jun 16, 2008
morenike again cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 16, 2008
Dnt blame me. , blame the hot weather wink
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by eiete(f): 12:36am On Jun 16, 2008
amyg:

lol
lucky u if your guy notices u beside him to cal u a pet name.knowing fully well that nigerian men r not romantic and sentimental.but mine calls me that and am happy about that because he does it in public so am d first lady

shocked

Lol! Serious.  Mine der's not. How embarassing.  embarassed
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 16, 2008
me im still saying my own ,any man that calls me mum,whether in public or in secret ooooo,will definitely receive a knock on his head
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 16, 2008
@post
am sorry but it's not normal. .
what if another girl was checking him out. . .and you tried to make her jealous my whispering sth in his ears. then all of a sudden he's like "Mom, you're funny". . .
hell no!
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Ajebota(f): 12:45am On Jun 16, 2008
nawa o i learn something new on nairaland everyday. This is news to me ears. 'Mom?' No way jose, no one should even try calling me that. Some dude caled me 'ma' once and I gave him such a look of disgust i even grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by eiete(f): 12:46am On Jun 16, 2008
morenike09:

@Post
am sorry but it's not normal. .
what if another girl was checking him out. . .and you tried to make her jealous my whispering sth in his ears. then all of a sudden he's like "Mom, you're funny". . .
hell no!

Imagine!

We're not yet hitched neither am i his babys' mamma and he's already calling me mom.

I wonder what he will call me next.  angry
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 1:40am On Jun 16, 2008
Negro_Ntns,
No, I'm actually referring to myself because my boyfriend calls me Mom like most of the time everywhere.

amyg,
Yes, I know alot of Nigerian guys are not romantic (which is a good sign and you ladies should be lucky) and I dont think the word mom sound romantic either especially when calling your girlfriend that undecided

cutensexxy,
Yes, my boyfriend calls me Mom / Ma and he says its very normal in Nigeria so thats why I'm asking if thats true

squirrel20.
Yes I'm thinking of the same thing too on where these guys get the idea from. When I ask, he told me he heard from other men in his country and thats why he says its natural. Is it really??

morenike09,
Oh My God. . . . . You so have a point but I noticed that alot of girls are put off with him because as young as he might be, he talks like an old man most of the time and ladies tend to run away after 10 minutes listening to him blabbering about. grin

eiete,
hahah! Grandma?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by eiete(f): 1:45am On Jun 16, 2008
gabrywyl:

eiete,
hahah! Grandma?

hehehe! grin very funny. angry
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 1:47am On Jun 16, 2008
eiete,
Just kidding. grin Anyways, based on your picture, he should call you babe. wink
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by eiete(f): 1:54am On Jun 16, 2008
gabrywyl:

eiete,
Just kidding. grin Anyways, based on your picture, he should call you babe. wink

Aw! Thanks! That sounds better. grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by minto(m): 3:03am On Jun 16, 2008
It's nothing big calling your wifenot girlfriend o mummy. I call mine iya (mother)as I no kuku get mama again and sometimes mummy like every other person in the house. If we have to start calling girlfriends mom, I wonder how many moms an average Nigerian man will have.  grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 3:12am On Jun 16, 2008
Minto,
Yeah I guess that can be correct. So now I'm confuse. . . undecided
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by nj11(f): 4:30am On Jun 16, 2008
I think is okay for a man to call you mom only if you have kids for him,otherwise it's wired.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by misssexyu(f): 8:52am On Jun 16, 2008
It isn"t,cos i wnt fancy mine kaln mi dat.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by jkpretty(f): 10:34am On Jun 16, 2008
For the first time i'm hearing that guys call their girlfriends "mom" or "mummy". I thot that happened more with married people.

Ok, whether mama, or mum or mummy or aunty
I think the manner at which its called or pronounced does the trick wink
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by amaechijay: 10:36am On Jun 16, 2008
l'm kinda indifferent abt it.

My boyfriend calls me that when he desperately wants me to do something for him.

It doesn't happen always and I think I'm kool with it  that way.

He  calls me a special name he carved out himself and that is a whole lot sexy, . wink
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by spikedcylinder: 10:55am On Jun 16, 2008
Mom ke? Wetin do im mama? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Miss Nairaland 2015 Contest RELOADED {nomination & Verification Thread} / Customs Boss Use & Dump Story: My Pics Were Stolen, Used For Evil- Girl Exclaims / What Was The Worst Reply You Got From A Girl After You Asked Her Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.