Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,951 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? (39896 Views)

Why Most Guys Don't Marry Their Girlfriends... / 10 Things Most Guys Do When Expecting Their Girlfriends / Is It Normal For A Male Virgin To Have Wet Dreams? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 1:27am On Jul 02, 2008
Radiant:

I think women have issues rather. What's wrong with the idea? Nothing really. It's just the way the guy feels but don't be deceived 'cause calling you mom don't mean he'll end up marrying you. wink

So you're okay with your bf calling you mom and then you will act like his mother? Cause I know mothers are the ones whom born you and take care of you in a motherly way. No sex and no intimacy feeling so for him to call you mother, dont you find that awkward?
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by chuckyee: 1:33am On Jul 02, 2008
:oy cum bring tha thread issue up naw na miracle b4 now u bring breakthrough
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AnthonyKil(m): 4:05am On Jul 02, 2008
Babe, what kinda thread is this? grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by chuckyee: 7:53am On Jul 02, 2008
sowin thread my bro n by the way thru tha post u posted u b a very dirtay man
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AnthonyKil(m): 9:26am On Jul 02, 2008
chuckyee:

sowin thread my bro n by the way through tha post u posted u b a very dirtay man

Which thread is dirty? grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Radiant(f): 10:47am On Jul 02, 2008
Dakore:

that's silly undecided

so "mom" is a new word for girlfriend?
then, what's the new word for mother?

Mom is not the new word for girlfriend. Ain't nothing silly about a guy callin me "mom". Been there and I enjoyed it. Why u making it sound as if he's callin u a bitch wink

Relax and enjoy jare.

gabrywyl:

So you're okay with your boyfriend calling you mom and then you will act like his mother? Cause I know mothers are the ones whom born you and take care of you in a motherly way. No sex and no intimacy feeling so for him to call you mother, don't you find that awkward?

I'm very okay with it. I actually like it and hell no that don't make me "act like his mother" grin It's just the way he feels like callin you. Habaa. . . y'all calm down grin

You want to tell me that when your man calls you "honey" or "sweetheart", you actually act like one?? wink
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by stokeson(m): 11:31am On Jul 02, 2008
it does not mattter what u call ur galfrend as both of u are carried away by love
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Radiant(f): 12:00pm On Jul 02, 2008
It's not about being carried away. . .it's just a flipping name. It doesn't mean he loves you more than when he calls your name grin Wetin concern name concern love? Don't be deceived abeg grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AnthonyKil(m): 1:36am On Jul 03, 2008
Call your gf mom OH NO. . . . . That is so wrong, when I'm making love to her, I wont want to imagine my mother havin sex with me!!! That bis sooo gross. I love calling girls Baby, Babe, Chicks, Beautiful, Sweetness, Sweet Pussy. Stuff like that. grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AshtonJake(m): 8:29am On Jul 03, 2008
Who on earth would reflect their girlfriend as their own mother Now that would be weird.

Anthony, I bet if you call your gf Sweet Pussy in Public, she will smack your head like the way Gabby smack you all da time Bro. grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 9:32am On Jul 03, 2008
AshtonJake:

Who on earth would reflect their girlfriend as their own mother Now that would be weird.

Anthony, I bet if you call your girlfriend Sweet Pussy in Public, she will smack your head like the way Gabby smack you all da time Bro. grin

And I will be glad to continue smacking him. grin

Jake, Anthony will be visiting me next month. You wanna join? My parents will be around this time so it will be great. cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Radiant(f): 1:07pm On Jul 03, 2008
LOL Different strokes for different folks. grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AshtonJake(m): 3:13pm On Jul 03, 2008
GABBYY. . . . You invited Anthony first before me OF COURSE I WANNA COME!!! Why not? I love your house and your family especially your grandma. She is one funky Hip Granny alright! grin

And would be nice if you could introduce me to your boyfriend?  cool

And if I come, do I have to do the Cooking and Housework again undecided sad
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by jgobaseki: 1:30am On Jul 04, 2008
@gabryl,
its fascinating to know that you came here seeking advice or opinions (good thinking). I just hope you would take a guys advice more seriously than a woman's advice. i didn't get a chance to read the whole thing, just the first few pages which i thought was long enough. i would tend to tow the line of "mellow" and "negro_ntgn" (at least their initial responses).
In many African families as you may know already, the parents/grandparents do not live very long compared to other parts of the world. Now usually when the husband's mother passes away, he may tend to refer to his wife as mummy. even when speaking to a third party in her absence, he could refer to his wife as mummy. this is quite common even up to today. But i will confess it is perpetuated mostly by beareaved guys, and because life expectancy isn't too high, it is common to see men refer to their wives or serious girl-friends as mammie. It also shows a streak of endearment on the part of the man, and an expression of the knowlegde or an acknowlegdement of the fact that he knows/trusts you are looking out for his best interests as a mother would do. it does necessarily mean that he expects you to do things for him. it is more of a selfless endearment. Now if i were the guy, i may be taken aback if you seem uncomfortable about this over a long period of time because it would indicate to me that you are not on the same page as myself. This in my opinion is an honest response and i hope it didn't have too much sting in it. I bet it would be similar to what your boyfriend's explanation.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 1:56am On Jul 04, 2008
jg.obaseki:

@gabryl,
its fascinating to know that you came here seeking advice or opinions (good thinking). I just hope you would take a guys advice more seriously than a woman's advice. i didn't get a chance to read the whole thing, just the first few pages which i thought was long enough. i would tend to tow the line of "mellow" and "negro_ntgn" (at least their initial responses).
In many African families as you may know already, the parents/grandparents do not live very long compared to other parts of the world. Now usually when the husband's mother passes away, he may tend to refer to his wife as mummy. even when speaking to a third party in her absence, he could refer to his wife as mummy. this is quite common even up to today. But i will confess it is perpetuated mostly by beareaved guys, and because life expectancy isn't too high, it is common to see men refer to their wives or serious girl-friends as mammie. It also shows a streak of endearment on the part of the man, and an expression of the knowlegde or an acknowlegdement of the fact that he knows/trusts you are looking out for his best interests as a mother would do. it does necessarily mean that he expects you to do things for him. it is more of a selfless endearment. Now if i were the guy, i may be taken aback if you seem uncomfortable about this over a long period of time because it would indicate to me that you are not on the same page as myself. This in my opinion is an honest response and i hope it didn't have too much sting in it. I bet it would be similar to what your boyfriend's explanation.
Thanks jg. No, I think what you have posted is quite a reasonable and a good way to think of it. grin

AshtonJake:

GABBYY. . . . You invited Anthony first before me OF COURSE I WANNA COME!!! Why not? I love your house and your family especially your grandma. She is one funky Hip Granny alright! grin

And would be nice if you could introduce me to your boyfriend? cool

And if I come, do I have to do the Cooking and Housework again undecided sad

Sorry jake, I wanted Anthony to come more often here cause I want to teach him something valuable in life. And no, this time you dont have to do any house chores because Anthony will be doing it all by himself. cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AnthonyKil(m): 5:24am On Jul 04, 2008
gabrywyl:

Thanks jg. No, I think what you have posted is quite a reasonable and a good way to think of it. grin

Sorry jake, I wanted Anthony to come more often here cause I want to teach him something valuable in life. And no, this time you don't have to do any house chores because Anthony will be doing it all by himself. cool

Gabby, What? You're saying that Jake goes to your place to actually have a real holiday? Thats not fair!!! angry Fine! if you want me to do the housework, at least let me do it with full pride and dignity which is only with my underwear on and nothing else. Ok? undecided
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Morenisexy(f): 5:34am On Jul 04, 2008
shocked shocked shocked shocked "
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 5:55am On Jul 04, 2008
AnthonyKil:

Gabby, What? You're saying that Jake goes to your place to actually have a real holiday? Thats not fair!!! angry Fine! if you want me to do the housework, at least let me do it with full pride and dignity which is only with my underwear on and nothing else. Ok? undecided
Dude, please don't embarrass me infront of my entire family generation. Do you know that I carry a good name in my family But if you insist, don't blame me if my grandma come molesting you in the middle of the night. I know she will. You can ask Omarion! HAHA!  grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by LordChaser(m): 5:59am On Jul 04, 2008
AnthonyKil:

DAMN Boy, you don't want to go that far. Her Grandma is MENTAL IN DA HEAD!!! When I walk pass her, she pinched my butt cheeks and than she always wants to kiss me and dance with me and she even pinches my tits. I'm like WHAT DA HELL Trust me Bro, you'll regret ever doin it.

GABBY, is there by any chance you could send your granny to the mental institution I think she is nuts for men younger than her which I find it scary. . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by AshtonJake(m): 6:03am On Jul 04, 2008
I dont know about you guys but I love gabby's granny. She's hip and cool and you can talk to her just about anything you want and she can speak so many languages which I find it amazing! grin
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Morenisexy(f): 6:04am On Jul 04, 2008
funny group. . nawa o
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by LordChaser(m): 6:05am On Jul 04, 2008
AshtonJake:

I don't know about you guys but I love gabby's granny. She's hip and cool and you can talk to her just about anything you want and she can speak so many languages which I find it amazing! grin

So you're saying that you love to be molested by an old hagged lady? Why dont you tell me earlier that you are lookin for a Sugar Momma. My grandma is interested in White boys like you. I'll give her your phone number ASAP, ok boyfriend?  cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 6:09am On Jul 04, 2008
Ok Guys, lets take this discussion in our main thread? As I think you are scaring poor Morenisexy grin

See ya guys there. cool
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by kkycee(m): 10:45am On Jul 04, 2008
that shows the kind of love he has for you.so enjoy it
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by mayhem: 5:06pm On Jul 07, 2008
what happens to the play we play as kids of which we have "daddy and Mummy " and of which the so called "daddy and mummy must sleep together . On a serious note Me I am a small guy and i usually wrap myself at night inside my large girlfriend and softly call her mummy all through the night . LOL
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 8:14am On Jul 10, 2008
mayhem:

what happens to the play we play as kids of which we have "daddy and Mummy " and of which the so called "daddy and mummy must sleep together . On a serious note Me I am a small guy and i usually wrap myself at night inside my large girlfriend and softly call her mummy all through the night . LOL

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 10, 2008
yeah i call her mom cos i see her as a mom and she behaves like a mom.
and of course she's going to be my mom very soon(gettin married)- taking care of me and being mother to my kids.
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by Gabry(f): 1:32am On Jul 11, 2008
kay-pawpaw:

yeah i call her mom because i see her as a mom and she behaves like a mom.
and of course she's going to be my mom very soon(gettin married)- taking care of me and being mother to my kids.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by GoldFinch(m): 2:53am On Jul 11, 2008
)))) :p
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by WendyRao: 10:49am On Jul 11, 2008
LKJLJOI
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by WendyRao: 10:58am On Jul 11, 2008
DFDVCX
Re: Is It Normal For Nigerian Men To Call Their Girlfriends "Mom"? by WendyRao: 11:00am On Jul 11, 2008
DFDSFA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Should I Worry About Her Size? / Birthday Gift That A Guy Would Really Appreciate / Lady Threatens To Leak Man's Nude Pics Because His Condom Burst During Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.