Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (119893 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 10:01pm On Jan 29, 2019
dont b emotionally vested in your viewpoint. It beclouds clear reasoning
CodeTemplar:
The market will always be there for every field and open to skilled people or self taught people

true. But markets are not static systems. They r in different states. Declining,static, booming, etc. The state affects the reactions of players. In d case of d i.t market ,it is in a booming to stable state in certain areas. Web nd mobile. This state combined with low barriers to entry has incited an influx of players akin to d way,the prospects of gold led to d gold rush in america centuries ago. There is similarity btwn d american goldrush nd current i.t markets. Or if you like a more recent example,the dot com bubble of the early 2000s. Now during the web (stable) and phone nd ai (booming) mkt, every1 is getting in. Including a large influx of low quality suppliers. It's inevitable. In the dot com bubble,the subpar companies died out. But few thrived to this day.e.g Amazon.com,yahoo.com etc. This influx of coders of varying degree in the booming segmnts has nothng to do with mode of learning. In all mkts they r suppliers of varying degrees. Same in tech. As d mkt matures,the weak will b shaken out,like it happened in the dot com era. You hav seen a lot of low quality self taughts and wrongly GENERALIZED tht ALL self taughts are d same and the symptoms you've observed are peculiar nd arise as a result of the learning mode.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CodeTemplar: 10:04pm On Jan 29, 2019
asalimpo:

dont b emotionally vested in your reasoning. It beclouds clear reasoning
There is no emotional influence in my submissions here. I only showed you why it will be wrong to claim CS degree is a waste of four years as the knowledge acquired are always relevant to CS fields but may not help the average CS grad be a proficient programmer at time of graduation.
You appear to be too proud to accept other people's valid views when contradictory to yours and that explains the sudden attack on the messenger and not the message.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 10:17pm On Jan 29, 2019
CodeTemplar:
There is no emotional influence in my submissions here. I only showed you why it will be wrong to claim CS degree is a waste of four years as the knowledge acquired are always relevant to CS fields but may not help the average CS grad be a proficient programmer at time of graduation.
You appear to be too proud to accept other people's valid views when contradictory to yours and that explains the sudden attack on the messenger and not the message.
without requoting your last posts,your argumnts are ,if coldly held up to logic, wrong. You tie d poor quality of developmnt from selft taughts to how they obtained their education! In otherwords, the problem lies with how u go about getting taught. While some of ur claims are valid for most self taughts or even a majority,the premise of ur logic is wrong.
I'm not resorting to personal attacks, we can always disagree without being disagreeable. My bolded statemnt was a call to weigh ur points on a more logical scale. E.g knowledge of design patterns isnt valid case for dismissal of self taughts.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CodeTemplar: 10:19pm On Jan 29, 2019
asalimpo:
dont b emotionally vested in your viewpoint. It beclouds clear reasoning

true. But markets are not static systems. They r in different states. Declining,static, booming, etc. The state affects the reactions of players. In d case of d i.t market ,it is in a booming to stable state in certain areas. Web nd mobile. This state combined with low barriers to entry has incited an influx of players akin to d way,the prospects of gold led to d gold rush in america centuries ago. There is similarity btwn d american goldrush nd current i.t markets. Or if you like a more recent example,the dot com bubble of the early 2000s. Now during the web (stable) and phone nd ai (booming) mkt, every1 is getting in. Including a large influx of low quality suppliers. It's inevitable. In the dot com bubble,the subpar companies died out. But few thrived to this day.e.g Amazon.com,yahoo.com etc. This influx of coders of varying degree in the booming segmnts has nothng to do with mode of learning. In all mkts they r suppliers of varying degrees. Same in tech. As d mkt matures,the weak will b shaken out,like it happened in the dot com era. You hav seen a lot of low quality self taughts and wrongly GENERALIZED tht ALL self taughts are d same and the symptoms you've observed are peculiar nd arise as a result of the learning mode.

The real discussion here is about whether a degree in CS is waste of four years. it isn't.
Programming can be learnt just like any other skill and if a man with no formal training works hard enough at it and excels then he is good to go. My point revolves around the fact that most self-taught programmers are ignorant of what they do not know and tend to exaggerate that which they know as soon as they start making money.
A CS graduate who works as hard as a self-taught programmer will never be comparable to the self-taught programmer because he is more aware of what and what he is missing unlike the largely unguided self-taught programmer.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 11:04pm On Jan 29, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Programming is a complex and very broad field that needs a dedicated university program like computer science to teach its principles in formal setting.
People celebrating their ability to code for loops and a few other aspect of some languages as a substitute for CS degree are being delusional.

Just like people confuse Comp Engr degree for repair of PCs ( desktop and laptops ). Computer Sci. isn't exactly programming.
It is the science around scalable and efficient computing. That's why they may explain basic hardware that runs programs to a CS grad and teach him/her design patterns, computer architecture etc

this is what you said, that led to my initial response. It's different from what u are saying now.
You classed programming by self education as blue collar and rote (mechanical rather than intellectual). To which i countered. I pointed out tht self programmng and work can b as intellectually demanding and equivalent to any discipline out there! And is far above blue collar work ... This has been crux of the argumnt.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 11:18pm On Jan 29, 2019
Did you also know that the design patterns, you regard as an standard of scientific education are not all mathematical sound? So,imagine d damage done to unquestioning students who've gulped those knwldge in full faith tht they were rocksolid?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CodeTemplar: 11:25pm On Jan 29, 2019
asalimpo:

this is what you said, that led to my initial response. It's different from what u are saying now.
You classed programming by self education as blue collar and rote (mechanical rather than intellectual). To which i countered. I pointed out tht self programmng and work can b as intellectually demanding and equivalent to any discipline out there! And is far above blue collar work ... This has been crux of the argumnt.
Please stop mentioning me if you won't stop outright twisting of fact. I likened the ignorant perception around CS to Comp Engr.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 11:41pm On Jan 29, 2019
airsaylongcon:

This is where there's a difference. Computer Science is NOT about programming! Programming/Developing is the "OND" of computing. Can I develop? YES. Do I currently do so? NO because job responsibilities have escalated. You talked about when last I used time analysis. It's like asking when last the cylinders in your car's engine were pressure tested. Probably only during manufacturing. BUT if they weren't you'd not be driving today. The intricacies in safely pressure testing is part of what sets a mechanical engineer aside from a mechanic. The theories of Computing is what sets aside a Computer SCIENTIST from a programmer/developer. Think about it, if your DFS algorithm wasn't time optimal would a developer use. But the developer has absolutely no care in the world how the algorithm evolved for him to use. Computer Science transcends development. The fact that what the world sees is the job of the developer does not now then reduce computing to that. Do you know the volume of research on going that common developers cannot even begin to comprehend
i've seen argumnts like this disparaging programming. Have u nd d people fronting these view developed signifcant software bf? If you have, you'd know that,you cant talk down on programming so lightly. The complexity of writing a robust well designed software is on a magnitude of complexity on par with the most complex disciplines known to man. Medicine doesnt compare. Only mathematics and theoretical physics can b said to b arguably above. Programming isnt inferior to computer science. THEY ARE COMPLEMENTARY. it's not like mechanic nd auto engineer but like chemical engineer and structural engineer. There's shortage of skilled programmers because at higher levels,many people cant handle the load. Creating complex abstractions nd juggling them,while wiring all the parts to work seamlessly.
Why dyu think many cs lecturers can only teach but not produce practical workable systems? They dont KNOW how to? Donald knuth,the famed computer scientis,took 10 whooping years,to write the program TEX! Why didnt he just whip it up in a month with his genius mind? Many university lecturers,nigerian,couldnt write elegant,maintenable signicnt software using software engineering principles they espouse,if their lives depended on it! Many of these ppl r just lazy mediocre individuals with high titles.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 12:01am On Jan 30, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Please stop mentioning me if you won't stop outright twisting of fact. I likened the ignorant perception around CS to Comp Engr.
there's a trail of the argumnts we've had so far leading to this point. It's not about fact twisting but assertions you made nd defended which u r now backing off from. I never debated relevance of cs but rather ur stance of self taughts! Refer to d trail pls. First self taughts r on d blue collar scale (e.g computer repairers), prone to pride nd egotism and ignorant of concepts for developing robust applications e.g design patterns. This was ur stance which u defended nd which i responded to. Again, i'm not attckng u or ur person but ur argumnts. Theyre flawed. Nothing personal.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2019
CodeTemplar:
its alright. There's no need to fight over topics tht will soon b long forgotten.You hav ur viewpoint,i hav mine.Only time can tell who is right or wrong. All we can do is present our views with the reasons why we subscribe to them.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Feb 03, 2019
asalimpo:

the governmnt can try to regulate programming but will fail woefully. Except they can censure the internet and police every citizen. The only thing "regulation" will achieve is in creating a closed system and a niche and mystify the field. It will drive up prices everywhere. Programmers will earn mor. Be more respected. Hav initials nd titles they can append to their names etc and have greater self esteem. All fair nd good,but in d long run, it will stiffle the rate of innovation resulting in more losses overall.
In d current free mkt system, barrier to entry is very low. No excessive bureaucracy. The good ones rise to d top, by their works. Mediocres stay at their level. To make money,you sell a product-software or service- no dangling of paper bf anybody making it possible for ppl to earn from their works right away.

Most of the innovations today were developed by those with a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering.

WhatsApp the world's biggest mobile messaging service - 1. Brian Acton: Degree in computer science. 2. Jan Koum - Became interested in
programming he enrolled at San Jose State University.

C++ - Bjarne Stroustrup PhD in computer science.

Java - James Gosling: Bachelor of Science, M.A. and Ph.D. all in computer science.

Linux - Linus Torvalds: Between 1988 and 1996 graduated with a master's degree in computer science.

Jquery - John Resig: Graduated with a degree in Computer Science.

Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat Reader the Portable Document Format (PDF) and Adobe Creative Suite - 1. John Edward Warnock degree in electrical engineering and computer science. 2. Charles Geschke PhD in computer science

Windows and Apple: This youtude video tells us that the GUI technology they are using was developed by Xerox team of computer scientists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQocN_c2uLI

Other innovations by the big companies were possible due to them recruiting computer scientists.

Canada is the only country in the world where Software Engineering is regulated https://www.engineerscanada.ca/become-an-engineer/examination-syllabus
If you don't have a degree in software Engineering in Canada you can take these exams https://engineerscanada.ca/sites/default/files/syllabus_4_20.pdf or work under someone that is licenced that can check your work.

Regulating programming will not drive up prices everywhere as you have stated but will only ensure that the quality of software developed are up to standard and will help to check those that take up programming projects they are not qualified to be doing.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 4:48am On Feb 07, 2019
Febup:

Most of the innovations today were developed by those with a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering.
true. I'm not disputing that. People without degrees nd formal education hav also played their part too,though they're never as acknowledged
WhatsApp the world's biggest mobile messaging service - 1. Brian Acton: Degree in computer science. 2. Jan Koum - Became interested in
you point him enrolling but never mention him dropping out? Proving tht university is not take credit for his work

Java - James Gosling: Bachelor of Science, M.A. and Ph.D. all in computer science.

Linux - Linus Torvalds: Between 1988 and 1996 graduated with a master's degree in computer science.

to design a language like c++ at the time nd engineer a virtual machine, requires some deep knowledge of theory. Computer scientists bother with the theory, programmers take those baked theories nd build mega projects with them. The two fields are complementary.

jquery isnt what it is because of the authors cs knowledge. Another programmer without a knowledge of cs could equally hav created it.

Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat Reader the Portable Document Format (PDF) and Adobe Creative Suite - 1. John Edward Warnock degree in electrical engineering and computer science. 2. Charles Geschke PhD in computer science

what about people like Larry Wall? Creator of the perl programming language? Did he hav a cs degree and did his lack of it prevent him from writing world class software? At one time most of d web was powered by perl!
What about John Carmack- the video game programmer. He is not only a rock solid developer,he has contributed theoretically to computer science. He has an algorithm named after him- "the carmack reverse"!
How could he know so much with no certifctn to his name?
What of Jamie Zawinski, one of d main developers of xemacs? He is a high school dropout! He shouldnt know what he is doing cuz-- afterall he didnt finish secondary school!

Windows and Apple: This youtude video tells us that the GUI technology they are using was developed by Xerox team of computer scientists:

Other innovations by the big companies were possible due to them recruiting computer scientists.

the most valuable company in d world,apple,was founded and run by largely uni dropouts . Many of apples founding engineers had no/little college education.

Canada is the only country in the world where Software Engineering is regulated https://www.engineerscanada.ca/become-an-engineer/examination-syllabus
If you don't have a degree in software Engineering in Canada you can take these exams https://engineerscanada.ca/sites/default/files/syllabus_4_20.pdf or work under someone that is licenced that can check your work.

Regulating programming will not drive up prices everywhere as you have stated but will only ensure that the quality of software developed are up to standard and will help to check those that take up programming projects they are not qualified to be doing.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 5:05am On Feb 07, 2019
Febup:

in otherwords,except u go thru their system, you dont know what you are doing? You dont hav knowledge until d govermnt tells you that you hav? The jamie zawinskis, palmer luckys (created oculus rift,and spawned the vr craze,without formal unvsity knowledge), john carmacks, larry walls, initial apple engineering teams, FIRST NEED TO go take some "test" to show nd prove to the governmnt that can program before they go program their ground breaking works?
Next,they'll need to recertify nd pay some dues to be entitled to practice! This stuff only works in fields where it's hard to prove urself by yourself. Alone.

Regulating software will DRIVE UP prices AND limit the number of participants AND kill the rate of innovation in the field.
It will drive up prices because d cost of REGULATION will b passed on to d developers , who will pass it onto customers.
It will limit participants because, not every1 will b qualified,inspite of interest nd passion,to b software engineers.
With fewer partcpnts they'll b fewer innovation nd d field will stall.
For the few insiders,they'll b higher prestige-via d titles "licensed engineer". Higher fees, and less software for d masses. A blackmarket system will evolve as a result. E.g in licensed practices, the services eventually bcome unaffordable except for d rich/middle class. E.g law,accounting, engineering,surgery. The not so well off,do without or find lower quality alternatives. All these are because of d state/industry sanctioned barriers to entry in those fields. How many people can afford d services of a good lawyer? How many students? How many poor/low income ppl?
How affordable is good health care? Say major surgeries-brain/cancer etc.
If d majority of d population cant afford these servces,then who are they for? The rich/well to do.
What's d cost of hiring chartered accountants to audit ur business?
What do u learn in law school that is different from you learned in university. What do u learn taking accountng certs that is different frm what u learned in school?
It can b understood y govt should regulate certain fields e.g to reduce the risk to lives (e.g in engineering nd medicine) and d economy (banking). I'm not saying regulation is evil but in highly creative fields,it will do more harm than good- in d long run.

Why will android playstore eventually eclipse apple store? because, barrier to entry is low on google. So many players,means more competition,more innovation,more crappy software-yes,more options for consumers and a lessening cost overall. More software,makes playstore more valuable to consumers nd phone makers than apple store.
On the issue of quality assurance -that's almost impossible to implemnt. One,a team will hav to monitor software sold, or shipped , to ensure it is well made. Issue is, what is d objective criteria for well-made software? There's none! 2) legal issues in opening up your sourcode to external examination will further kill d process. 3) for basic software, it would b useless waste of labour incurring d inspection cost. E.g. If i want a software that sorts a list of numbers - how much knowledge of cs do i need for that? What if i pick d slowest sort routine but the maximum size of elemnts it will sort is relatively small e.g d size of a school (say at most 2000 students) how worst of will software perform bf my clients sue me? Besides, without cs knwledge i could use sorting routines in the inbuilt libraries of my chosen language. Why would i need a 4-7 yr cs degree for this? It would b a different thing if i'm creating google and sorting 1billion queries/day. Then,i'd need more advanced knowledge but until then, regulation is overkill. And when a programmer gets to that level,he'll know what to do. He'd have read up on sorting algorithms, read up on maths, researched latest sorting techs etc he wont just foolishly try to create somethng on that scale with no adequate knowledge,if he is smart.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 07, 2019
@asalimpo You should have responded to my post separately rather than mixing your response with my post. Regulation of social media will help put a check on you doing such. You sound like you are afraid of a degree in Computer Science, but actually a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering will not only make you a better programmer but it will also teach you 'Ethics' which will make you to know to avoid mixing your response to a post that is not your own like you have done above.

asalimpo:

the governmnt can try to regulate programming but will fail woefully. Except they can censure the internet and police every citizen. The only thing "regulation" will achieve is in creating a closed system and a niche and mystify the field. It will drive up prices everywhere. Programmers will earn mor. Be more respected. Hav initials nd titles they can append to their names etc and have greater self esteem. All fair nd good,but in d long run, it will stiffle the rate of innovation resulting in more losses overall.
In d current free mkt system, barrier to entry is very low. No excessive bureaucracy. The good ones rise to d top, by their works. Mediocres stay at their level. To make money,you sell a product-software or service- no dangling of paper bf anybody making it possible for ppl to earn from their works right away.

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 10:37am On Feb 07, 2019
Febup:
@asalimpo You should have responded to my post separately rather than mixing your response with my post. Regulation of social media will help put a check on you doing such. You sound like you are afraid of a degree in degree in Computer Science, but actually a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering will not only make you a better programmer but it will also teach you 'Ethics' which will make you to know to avoid mixing you response to a post that is not your own like you have done above.

ok. You dont like that style of commntng. It's used a lot here. It enables d commenter,reply to a post ,point by point, as you saw me do.
As for being afraid of a degree in computer science,where did you get from?
I hav listed many stalwart programmers,who had no cs degree. Countering d claim u make. If cs teaches u ethics then mathematics should teach you integrity nd medicine honesty. Right? Heard of the unabomber and Dr. Jack the mercy killer?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 07, 2019
I said "Most of the innovations today were developed by those with a degree in Computer Science" I did not say all innovations. The ones I have listed are the most popular today.

You mentioned about integrity & honesty, I listed 5 innovations that are still the most popular today but you have listed 3 which you call many.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 11:53am On Feb 07, 2019
Febup:

I said "Most of the innovations today were developed by those with a degree in Computer Science" I did not say all innovations. The ones I have listed are the most popular today.

You mentioned about integrity & honesty, I listed 5 innovations that are still the most popular today but you have listed 3 which you call many.
you r shifting your emphasis from how formal education in computer science is mandatory for ensuring higher software quality in d industry to how not all innovation stemmed from cs but some. My points were about how your premise is wrong. And how red-taping software developmnt will castrate d industry and lead to more losses down d road. I made examples of the legal accounting medical (medicine n surgery) industries and how barriers to participation has led to more poorer value of life for majority of d masses overall. But this isnt d case with software-for now. It was never about counting nd comparing number of examples made to make my point. One example could very well have sufficed.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 07, 2019
asalimpo:

I hav listed many stalwart programmers,who had no cs degree. Countering d claim u make.

Updated
You mentioned about integrity & honesty, I listed 5 innovations that are still the most popular today but you have listed 3 which you call many and are they popular today?

Take XEmacs for example: "In my opinion, XEmacs development started to stagnate several years ago, after release of GNU Emacs 21. Most elisp packages are written for GNU Emacs nowadays and they aren't guaranteed to work in the XEmacs." Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/634306/xemacs-vs-emacs-which-is-better-for-programming-c posted 11-03-2009

asalimpo:

ok. You dont like that style of commntng. It's used a lot here. It enables d commenter,reply to a post ,point by point, as you saw me do.
Yet you did not mix your response to the other posts on this page with the quotes you were responding to as you did with mine.

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 2:24pm On Feb 07, 2019
vezycash:

[s]Curious about how you came to head the accounting team. Knew some oga at the top? [/s]

You modified your post and answered this before I asked.

Lucky you. Only two of my programming lecturers knew what they were doing. C and VB.

You're a self learner just like me. You learned using a book. I learned through practice. The qBasic interpreter taught me.

I mistakenly thought getting a CS degree would make me a programmer. I was utterly bored and frustrated in all my CS programming classes - throughout 4 year sentence.

From hearing your experience, I understand how wrong I was about the benefit of CS curriculum to the average student. I was an outlier - not the norm. Most CS students would hear about important computing concepts for the first time in their CS classes.

I still maintain however, that those who want mastery - not computing basics should study something else for their first degree.

Last update.
We are now in an an age of cheap laptops and internet where self learners like us can pick basic to advanced computing concepts online for free on YouTube, Khan Academy. And paid sites like Udemy, Edx, Udacity, Lynda...

If you grew up now, you'd see things more from my angle.

My view was that a cs degree would giv one rich theoretical grounding in computation and programmng would b a by thing. A cs graduate would b able to do things like create oses, compilers, device efficient algorithms , understand nd implemnt databases (not sql o but create db engines-b trees and all) etc. Linus torvalds wrote linux during his msc. He has no phD but look what he's been able to do. Others like d man who created d first rdbms,had a phd etc i held cs in high esteem but it seems apart from top universities,most institutions r poor eitherway. Poor in theory, poor in pragmatics with lame lecturers who dont even know their stuffs!

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 2:39pm On Feb 07, 2019
Febup:

Updated
You mentioned about integrity & honesty, I listed 5 innovations that are still the most popular today but you have listed 3 which you call many and are they popular today?

Take XEmacs for example: "In my opinion, XEmacs development started to stagnate several years ago, after release of GNU Emacs 21. Most elisp packages are written for GNU Emacs nowadays and they aren't guaranteed to work in the XEmacs." Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/634306/xemacs-vs-emacs-which-is-better-for-programming-c posted 11-03-2009

Yet you did not mix your response to the other posts on this page with the quotes you were responding to as you did with mine.
you point from the beginning of this thread is d necessity of cs to proper software developmnt. Which i counter by saying it isnt necessary. My examples r to support my view. Like i said,even only1 wouldav been okay. Besides,it's illogical to disqualify an argumnt on the number of supportng examples.
Your citing major cs graduates and their achievemnt nd contribution to cs ,isnt d main point of ur argumnt on this thread.
It's a side point.
I hav pointed out notable non cs achievers also- Carmack, Zawinski,larry wall, palmer lucky, initial apple tech team etc. Yes,more cs graduates hav more fame than non cs grads. But that proves nothing nd is irrelevant. Many ppl without cs degrees hav created robust nd efficient software debunkng the claim that non cs grads r inept/subpar.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by vezycash(m): 3:18pm On Feb 07, 2019
asalimpo:

My view was that a cs degree would giv one rich theoretical grounding in computation and programmng would b a by thing. A cs graduate would b able to do things like create oses, compilers, device efficient algorithms , understand nd implemnt databases (not sql o but create db engines-b trees and all) etc. Linus torvalds wrote linux during his msc. He has no phD but look what he's been able to do. Others like d man who created d first rdbms,had a phd etc i held cs in high esteem but it seems apart from top universities,most institutions r poor eitherway. Poor in theory, poor in pragmatics with lame lecturers who dont even know their stuffs!

I had to think for an hour to reply to your insightful comment. So, here we go.

We can summarize Nigerian education woes as a classic demand and supply one.

Decades ago, the number of available jobs dropped with increased number of secondary school graduates.

So, companies started asking for bsc - case in point, my father got his bank job right after waec. He upgraded his school based on company demands and retired as a senior manager.

Decades ago, government instability evaporated foreign investment and existing multinationals packed up and fled.

This reduced the job pool further. Thus, those trained practically for a field became unemployable. Companies refused to retrain people. We didn't have an apprentiship system like Germany. Thus, universities responded.

Teach only theory - so our graduates gain knowledge that are relevant for the next twenty years.

Instead produced graduates with knowledge not very useful anywhere.

Again, the problem isn't schools. It's jobs. When there are plenty jobs, there will be less need for schooling.

And schools will teach what people actually need right now.

In a job scarce society however, people spend more and more time in school. Because employers become choosy and demand more irrelevant certifications just to reduce screening efforts.

Consequently schools eliminate practical knowledge to create generalists who can work in multiple industries.

Because of of this, employers demand 5-10 years of job experience to compensate for lack of practical knowledge.

It is a vicious cycle to the bottom with a clear solution - teach more practical, immediately useful skills. This will create more jobs and employers will demand more practical skills and less credentials.

It's a classic demand and supply problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by benjibabs(m): 4:09pm On Feb 07, 2019
pjosh1:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.

School is not only about a certificate. The life lessons you learn going through the campus are invaluable. Really, there is nothing stopping you from doing both simultaneously - while in school, learn a programming language. School will teach you computer fundamentals which will make you a better programmer. If you can get into a school with updated computer curriculum, that would be a great option.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2019
Those that have been claiming that a degree in Computer Science is not needed to be a good programmer should please show us their tool of work in programming in order to convince those that are listening to them not to waste 4 Years on Computer Science in University.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by asalimpo(m): 8:38pm On Feb 08, 2019
Mr febup. Do you need to know how ballistic missiles work as a military general? Do you need to know the science behind night vision as a special forces commando? How about how d electron miscroscope works as a brain surgeon? How about how chalk is made to be a good teacher? How about having deep knowledge of the chemistry behind how cement nd concrete work before embarking on building project?
You use the tools without a care believing that those responsible for creating them KNOW what they're doing? Computer scientists work on the theory programmers use their output to build systems with it? A computer scientist can be a programmer e.g james gosling, donald knuth and a programmer may venture more into the theoretical. But d two hav different jobs to do nd are different professionals.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by makavele: 12:19am On Feb 09, 2019
This is a very dumb thread that should have been trashed in one line.
Yes a degree in Comp. Sci is very good [especially one
gotten outside the walls of the Nigerian curriculum], but if a programmer doesn't have one and can push himself beyond limits, he'll do just fine! The only drawback is that
he'll have to learn by trial and error as he goes on; and will be very much dependent on tools created by the "computer scientists" in the first instance.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Amigos12(m): 11:03am On Feb 15, 2019
Febup:

Interesting read!
Is blockchain development captured in this regulation?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by NaHiim: 9:16am On Feb 17, 2019
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by WhayP: 9:47am On Feb 17, 2019
pjosh1:
I am not saying studyin com.sci is bad,ii am jst saying is a waste of time.For example, if u do not study medicine or law ,u can never be a doctor or lawyer.A simple webdeveloper do not need all what u've mentioned above to create a website, but some pple still call him a computer scientist .
Don't knw if u understand what i am sayng?

You're still saying trash, really.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GreatAchiever1: 5:37pm On Feb 17, 2019
NaHiim:
Hey guys, check out my game:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xploore.coronawars

Nice one, keep it up. Which engine did u use to make it?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GreatAchiever1: 5:56pm On Feb 17, 2019
Well if i will add, computer science is different from programming. For the fact one is extremely good in programming dosent mean he should consider comp sci useless. I see programming like art, if one is gifted in drawing or sculpturing and through hard work and practice becomes really good, will you say studying fine arts is a waste
No all these are not a waste even if u are really good in any field relating to them through been self taught, but if u are interested in knowing more about it, just major in it because its not a waste and will know more about it than just being self taught in it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by NaHiim: 7:17pm On Feb 17, 2019
GreatAchiever1:

kiss
GreatAchiever1:

Thanks man.
I used libgdx
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 1:44am On Mar 05, 2019
Standards are now in place for websites that accepts card payment online https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/faq/#2
This is in the form of Security By Design and not waiting till a website created by quack programmers have been hacked before taking action.
It will be nice if these standards become regulations.

More information:https://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/faq/#26
Q26: What if my business refuses to cooperate?
A: PCI is not, in itself, a law. The standard was created by the major card brands Visa, MasterCard, Discover, AMEX and JCB. At their acquirers’/service providers’ discretion, merchants that do not comply with PCI DSS may be subject to fines, card replacement costs, costly forensic audits, brand damage, etc., should a breach event occur.
For a little upfront effort and cost to comply with the PCI DSS, you greatly help reduce your risk from facing these extremely unpleasant and costly consequences. Learn how ControlScan helps simplify PCI DSS.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.