₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,158,753 members, 4,702,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 January 2019 at 01:58 PM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (76063 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by bigdot1759(m): 8:54pm On Dec 31, 2018
Febup:

Your comments are very misleading for those wishing to study computer science.

Waterfall methodology is still the most important methodology today.
Waterfall methodology covers the development of applications from start to finish. The new methodology you mentioned only allows for incremental development like agile and this just makes Waterfall more flexible. You cannot develop an application that allow customers to put money in their account then tell the customers the application to allow then the get their money out is not yet ready, this is what you get if you are not using Waterfall methodology.

The knowledge you have acquired in computer science will make it easy for you to researh and learn a new programming language or technology better than someone without a computer science or software engineering degree.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/01/25/how-self-taught-14-year-old-tanmay-bakshi-became-an-ai-expert-for-ibm.html

Read dis about a 14yts old boy who never been to university but a genius programmer
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Possessedchild: 9:31pm On Dec 31, 2018
bigdot1759:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/01/25/how-self-taught-14-year-old-tanmay-bakshi-became-an-ai-expert-for-ibm.html

Read dis about a 14yts old boy who never been to university but a genius programmer

The website reads

"Though he technically does not work for IBM, because he is not paid, Bakshi has continued to partner with the tech company on various projects" I don't believe this though, what knowledge can he have other than all those Swift and SQL I'm seeing on his page. And we have expert programmers he would not be able to displace so until he obtains a degree. He will be discriminated upon.

We have prodigies everywhere who learns programming. The point is this, ensure you go to university, get things doing and graduate to be sorted in your career.

As the boy is, he may not be recognised unless he introduces a ground breaking Software hence being his own CEO...Or he gets into IBM after Degree and rise to become the Chief Program Manager or stuffs like that.

No one wants to associate with you if you don't study like I didn't embarassed. I'm still travelling to Kenya to start a degree in Computer Science. undecided .

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Febup: 12:29am On Jan 01
bigdot1759:

What we have not been told is that the boy's dad could have been a computer science lecturer, because it is impossible for anyone to just pick up such knowledge from no where. Take a look at Zuckerberg, his father taught him Atari BASIC Programming in the 1990s, and later hired software developer David Newman to tutor him privately https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Darivie04: 5:30am On Jan 01
Febup:

What we have not been told is that the boy's dad could have been a computer science lecturer, because it is impossible for anyone to just pick up such knowledge from no where. Take a look at Zuckerberg, his father taught him Atari BASIC Programming in the 1990s, and later hired software developer David Newman to tutor him privately https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zuckerberg.

Books!!!
E-books are freaking numerous. All he had to do was to type "best books on swift", " best books on AI", "best books on SQL". Then go to a free PDF site e.g www.b-ok.xyz and get the books he needed. Stop making this computer science degree seem more special than it is.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by famuad: 11:49am On Jan 01
The Best Freelance Site You Can Work To Earn Money Without Stress

What is freelancing? Freelancing is the act of working for people based on a contract level. However, it may be working remotely from the comfort of your home. There are different ways freelancers can sell their skills, and yes, freelance gigs can turn into a lot more than your typical one-off project. In fact, according to Intuit, “the gig economy . . . is now estimated to be about 34% of the workforce and is expected to be 43% by the year 2020.”

The following are the freelancing sites you can work:

1. Freelancer: Freelancer is a popular platform where you can turn your skills into a lot of money by working for people. Freelancer is one of the trusted and largest online platform for finding jobs. Different companies and individual across the globe post thousands of engagements. How does a freelancer work? A buyer will post a project with a budget, and any seller that has the actual skill for the project will bid for the gig. There are many opportunities on freelancer, whatever the skill you possess.

Click the link for the details of the Websites >>> https://www.techtrenz.com/the-best-freelance-site-you-can-work-without-stress/

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Febup: 1:45pm On Jan 01
Darivie04:

Books!!!
E-books are freaking numerous. All he had to do was to type "best books on swift", " best books on AI", "best books on SQL". Then go to a free PDF site e.g www.b-ok.xyz and get the books he needed. Stop making this computer science degree seem more special than it is.

With all you have learnt with e-books, now ask yourself why have Microsoft, IBM, Apple etc not discovered you?

I'm sure you did not read all of my post, here is it again below. E-books are no use if you don't have an introductory lecture in computer science or software engineering at uni or someone who has have not thaught you.

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by confistified(m): 9:28pm On Jan 02
michicko:

C u 80% of com.sci students in my skul dey dnt knw half of wat I knw talkin abt programming lang... M studying maths in uniben so m tellin u its just a waste of time
how far
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by willsonsemilore(m): 12:00pm On Jan 03
Febup:

With all you have learnt with e-books, now ask yourself why have Microsoft, IBM, Apple etc not discovered you?

I'm sure you did not read all of my post, here is it again below. E-books are no use if you don't have an introductory lecture in computer science or software engineering at uni or someone who has have not thaught you.

Please what re the career options in computer science
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Setnigeria: 12:23pm On Jan 03
Life's coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uic_trYcMEw
willsonsemilore:

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by airsaylongcon: 12:27pm On Jan 03
People are still arguing about "genius" programmer? Let's take accounting for example which is a profession that was similar to IT in its past.

The equivalent of being a programmer in accounting is being a bookkeeper. That's the most mundane of jobs and the fact that you are an excellent book keeper does not in anyway make you an accountant!

Computer Science supercedes the ability to program.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by oloyedewaris(m): 7:51pm On Jan 03
it isnt all about programming alone oo
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Febup: 9:02pm On Jan 03
willsonsemilore:

This list is almost endless. But since it's not a regulated sector getting a job is not guaranteed, but if you can also learn another profession after computer science and apply your computer science knowledge then you should be able to create a nice application you can market for that sector.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Olizey(m): 1:45pm On Jan 04
bjboss:
Am currently studying computer sci. in school... if u say it doesnt worth,i agree cus i got frustrated in my first year but everything became clearer when i startd know wat it takes to study computer sci.

Computer sci. is not about programming. Computer sci is more of mathematics and its applications to solve computational problems,algorithm and designs, etc.

You wil appreciate it more when enter school and start looking into some cool mathematics

Are you in dire need for an udemy course, ranging from all sort of lectures and tutorials?

Or you need a premium software for your PC?

Or a Premium app for your phone?

Good news folks! YOU CAN GET ANYONE YOU WANT FOR A TOKEN OF 500 NAIRA.

You want proof? You can definitely ask for Screenshots.

I'm as legit as you can imagine.

For more enquiries, you can send me a mail at oliseohadike@yahoo.com. My whatsapp no is on my signature

Thank you.

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CodeTemplar: 9:26pm On Jan 04
bigdot1759:

This is a very exaggerated one-off and the knowledge a CS degree equips one with is still needed. It is like saying Medical training is waste of time because the knowledge can be acquired out the four walls of a medical school.
Can this boy relate to design patterns, processor architecture, parallel programming etc?
Those are key areas that every self taught programmer may completely miss in their first 10 years of learning. CS goes beyond mastering for loop in few languages.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Febup: 4:49pm On Jan 05
airsaylongcon:
People are still arguing about "genius" programmer? Let's take accounting for example which is a profession that was similar to IT in its past.

The equivalent of being a programmer in accounting is being a bookkeeper. That's the most mundane of jobs and the fact that you are an excellent book keeper does not in anyway make you an accountant!

Computer Science supercedes the ability to program.

Thank you for this. For a computer science or software engineering major programming is like the job of purchase ledger or sales ledger only. Just like a qualified ICAN accountant can do the job of purchase ledger and sales ledger which is very basic in accounting but would rather get a junior clerk to do such as the accountant's time is better spent on Profit and Loss Accounts, Balance Sheet, Year End Adjustments, Asset Revaluation, Statutory Tax Returns, Tax Planning and other accountancy consultancy services.

So is the case with a computer science or software engineering major, only that we are better off doing all that is involved in the software development life cycle, from Requirement Gathering, Project Management, Analysis and Design, Programming Paradigm with Code Implementation with Configuration Management, Testing, Deployment, Maintenance, new algorithm research and other software consultancy services.

So those saying 4 Years On Computer Science In University is a waste are just the BIGGEST JOKERS!!!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by wiconse: 9:04pm On Jan 06
so d question is should i go to yabatech or unilag for computer science?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.