Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja (28450 Views)

Women Working At Church Children's Chapel (Photos) / BBC Calls Winners Chapel "Witchcraft Church" / Bishop Oyedepo's Winners' Chapel Accused Of Exploiting British Worshippers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 1:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
As a response to the current news of violence regarding the notorious winner's chapel church currently in the media, a friend of mine decided to share his experience on facebook. With his permission i have decided to reproduce his account here as it corroborates the fact that impunity and violence are characteristic of the church, enjoy the read:

After attending Winners in Abuja for 5 years, my relationship with d Church ended on d day I was severely beaten and lied on by Church officials over a case of PARKING my car around d church. This is my own personal story:

I parked my car where I am certain was not Church premises (it was a mechanic yard close to d church) it was a typical busy church day and d overzealous church traffic guys would never tell u where to park but will be yelling "don't park here" only to park more favored cars there. I was tired of being tossed around and I located this mechanic yard where about 12 other cars were parked.. It was simple, d Church guys as usual did not direct me anywhere to park so I located another place, I was running into d church because I was almost late. When I got in, I realized I had left my phone in d car so I went back out to get it, when I came out i discovered someone had willfully damaged my four tyres and when I asked, these Church guys standing there said he did it, because he called me to move d car when I was going in and I didn't. I then insisted he must fix d car tyres as he had no right or authority to touch my vehicle, when he refused and he and his gang were threatening to be violent, i went to make an official report to d Police station nearest to d church.

D police were initially reluctant to follow me and d DPO said "if na Church my hand no dey" and only reluctancly gave me an officer when i said i would petition d IG. The police man came with me to where d car was and immediately d Church guys asked d culprit to go into church to hide, the police said "oga we no tell u?" and when he could not find d culprit, he left back to his station; that is where d violence started, it was a 7.00am service and d clothes I wore to Church that day almost 9 years ago i keep till today as a souvenir. I was beaten thoroughly by about 12 people, my clothes torn and i was dragged on d floor for having d audacity to bring law enforcement to Church, I was screaming and shouting so badly that d pastors on d pulpit inside had to send someone to find out what was going on. They sent a man I later identified as "Elder Gboje" who was d first person to ask "what is going on here?". D church guys were like "we told him not to park he parked, so we deflated his tyre and he went to call police". When he asked me my answers were simple, I said "willful damage of my car and aggravated assault on my person". D man immediately recognized that I was a knowledgeable person, he spoke sternly with them and asked them to fix d car while he took me into a church office room upstairs in my tattered clothes, each time I wanted to speak he just asked me be quiet and they offered me cold water, and all sorts of orange juice and drinks.

At d end of d day they brought three other elders to interview me, when I finished they said d only thing I did wrong was calling d police into a church matter, one of elders a woman said she was a commissioner of police and that there was a woman that owed her money that she met in church that she did not harass her because it was church. When I asked her what I should have done she said I should have gone to report to their unit head, I said he was there and he was d most abusive, just as if on cue, d Unit head leading a team of ANTI-ROBBERY POLICE, burst in to d office we were having d meeting and pointed me out to d armed police, d leader of d police team now said "u have to follow us to d station" then d lady police commissioner shouted at them that how dare they burst in to d office. D leader of d new police team recognizing a superior officer now saluted and said "madam the parking unit leader came to us to say there wad an ARMED ROBBER making trouble in d church". D lady now told off d unit leader and asked d police to leave that nothing of that sort happened that it was a minor argument over parking, d police team leader called me aside and said I should not take this lightly that if THEY HAD MET ME OUTSIDE THEY PROBABLY WOULD HAVE SHOT ME and then later they would say it is "parking argument" he encouraged me to file a petition with d IG, any way d elders team begged and cajoled me with scriptures that I should forget and that it was d devil that wanted to steal my blessings from God.

Needless to say d church never offered me any official apology, d next service I came to d Pastor was preaching about those people who volunteer to stay in d sun and pass traffic or pass cars while d rest of us are sitting in church comfortably, that they were doing a great job for God and we should not disrespect them or argue with them. That was my last day in d church, I see all these guys so arrogant on d little tasks they volunteered to do in church and see it as another opportunity to I'll treat or oppress their fellow citizens. If truly Winners officials ASSAULTED OGUN STATE GOVT OFFICIALS (a story I would believe because of my experience), d state govt should come against them with d full might of d law, no institution is above d laws of this land and this kind of impunity disguising as "anointing" must stop.

The bible says that by their fruits we shall know them. If this is the kind of fruit Oyedepo follwers are bearing, what more can i say?

43 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
Many people are afraid to comment because it is a church matter.

Hides in wardrobe while typing

32 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 2:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is a comment from the original thread

It is peculiar with Winners church , i once use to stay at Durumi about 13years ago in Abuja - we had serious war with them ,they blocked the way to our house -then awon "boys " use to stay together in one big flat - unfortunately for them we were having meetings to usher in new excos of NANS in my house as former leaders - they started the assault first but trust my men- you can imaging rainbow coalition of Vikings ,Egede men and the likes - it was maximum beatings - one pastor Olutayo had to beg and even entertain boys who came in from various campuses . They are thugs not God workers

grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
These are not churches , in fact 99% of them are business centres.

27 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by algorithm(m): 2:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
The level of arrogance i see in that church marvels me.
na wao..

2 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Goshen360(m): 2:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
master dele: Many people are afraid to comment because it is a church matter.

Hides in wardrobe while typing

LWKMD!!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 2:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
Another comment from the original thread:

Imagine they were even going to frame a member of their church and arrange for him to be killed by the police? there is something we are yet to understand about Church business and about time someone carries out a proper investigation into these churches, I am sure a lot of conspiracies will be unearthed and possibly some really shocking truths. for crying out loud what has violence got to do with the church. I attend the Anglican church and I can swear this will never happen nor in any of the Roman catholic churches

14 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Another comment:

It is when Nigerians learn to accept the fact that these new generation churches are money making ventures like Zenith, Oando and co with a CEO that they will stop being shocked by the antics of thier management. Mr.XXXX sad to read about your encounter with these people, in the first place you have no business in a place where parking space is reserved for people who drive certain makes of cars, and this is the message such churches are sending out 'make money or die trying' in otherwords if only you had a G-Wagon you would have been offered a parking spot next to the church's entrance and the beating would have been reserved for someone else.

In response to the bolded my friend said:

True true Tolu my car was a tired looking Honda Civic.
undecided

5 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Vivly(f): 2:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is interesting.

1 Like

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by UyiIredia(m): 2:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
And it is nonsense like this that makes me condemn Christianity in particular, and religion in general.

1 Like

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia: And it is nonsense like this that makes me condemn Christianity in particular, and religion in general.

Try and be objective in your analysis.

3 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
frosbel:

Try and be objective in your analysis.
To be subjective is to claim to be Oyedepo's boy or Adeboye's boy. An objective reasoning actually leads one to Uyi's conclusion. undecided

Hw far? Long time.. Where u hide since? tongue
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by pxjosh(m): 2:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
See the english wey u take write d headings sef. Am nt reading again
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
Pastor Kun, check your thread's title.
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia: And it is nonsense like this that makes me condemn Christianity in particular, and religion in general.
Lol. But the 'nonsense' spurring your condemnation for christainity does not define the faith.

2 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 3:26pm On Sep 08, 2013

And it's for reasons like this that me and some other christian brethen come out to expose these charlatans parading themselves as christian leaders. What they are practising is clearly not christianity. They are just using the name of christ to gain credibility so they can pursue their greed motivated selfish agenda.

6 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by DrummaBoy(m): 3:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
Front page pls, mod'
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by homesteady(m): 3:59pm On Sep 08, 2013
Even if I was not there, I still believe what all this people are saying!

1 Like

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
Terrible, but I've another scenario of how terrible this church can be.

When I was in Ife, my sister attended this same winners chapel, I attended another church. On a certain sunday, she came back from the church and vowed never to step into the church again in her life.
When we asked her what happened, she said a certain man in need of help came to the church to ask for help and their pastor ushered him away refusing to help because he wasn't a member of the church.

I mean its just terrible, how can you refuse to help someone because he is not a member of your church. Apart from that, they did not even try preaching to him, obviously because he had no financial contribution to make if he joined the church.

The worst thing is this church one of the biggest if not the biggest in the town. I just thank God my sister had not been brainwashed like the other members who saw no fault in what the pastor did.

Its just unthinkable.
The writer should have mentioned names

20 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
I had a similar experience at the headquarters, Ota. Though, I was not beaten. It was a parking issue as well. I got so angry that I almost hit the guy. Those guys are rude and aggressive. I don't do sir/ma for church guys. I won't respect you because you are a pastor, you must earn my respect.

8 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by NextIG(m): 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
@Op, I am not going to exonorate the church from some unwanted happenings within her, but this your story lacks substance. Why did I said so?
(1) Every Winners Chapel has a designated parking lot either within the Church premises or outside the gate but, it is either fenced or well protected.
(2) Your friend made the mistake of parking near the church (outside) when he has been severally warned not to. That shows a sign of disobedience to the church leadership.
(3) Your friend lied by saying that the traffic officials will asked him not park at a particular point without showing him where to park.
(4) If your friend had been a true member of the Winners Chapel for Five years, he should by now knows where Church members, Church officials and Pastors do park their vehicles. Because each have their parking lot. Even the for the Church members, where the first service attendees will park is different from the second service.
(5) With the security situation everywhere, why must you park your car anyhow or somewhere near the church without letting the officials?
(6) If truly he has been a true member, he should know that even if the head of the unit is against him, he should have gone into the church and report him to any other Unit Head, Deacon/Deaconness, Elder(s), or any Pastor and his case would have been attended to immediately without bias. Because the leadership of the church won't take their action lightly if at all, it is true.
(7) For the number of years he has been in the Church he is still not a member of any unit group? That cast a doubt on his true membership in that Church. Because if he belongs to any unit, he would have reported the matter to his own unit head.
(cool The Bible said, if you had a grudge against your fellow brother (Christian), never you take the matter to the judge outside, rather, present it to the elders (pastors) in the church for an amicable solution, we shouldn't allowed unbelievers to settle our matters.
(9) How will you feel when you caned your child and he immediately went outside to call your neighbour when he hasn't reported it to his mother?
(10) Your friend said the head of the Police Anti Robbery Team called him aside and told him to take up the matter. Haba! When a Senior (woman) Police Officer is around and had shouted at him, he still had the audacity to call your friend aside for at least 3minutes advice? Hmmmm!
(11) Think with your mind not with the head. I know there is an onslaught of evil allegations against the Body of Christ the world over, but, the good news is, They Shall Not Prevail. The Church will Keep Marching on until the day of resurrection.
(12) Shalom! Jesus is Lord!!

53 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Urine: 6:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
Next IG: @Op, I am not going to exonorate the church from some unwanted happenings within her, but this your story lacks substance. Why did I said so?
(1) Every Winners Chapel has a designated parking lot either within the Church premises or outside the gate but, it is either fenced or well protected.
(2) Your friend made the mistake of parking near the church (outside) when he has been severally warned not to. That shows a sign of disobedience to the church leadership.
(3) Your friend lied by saying that the traffic officials will asked him not park at a particular point without showing him where to park.
(4) If your friend had been a true member of the Winners Chapel for Five years, he should by now knows where Church members, Church officials and Pastors do park their vehicles. Because each have their parking lot. Even the for the Church members, where the first service attendees will park is different from the second service.
(5) With the security situation everywhere, why must you park your car anyhow or somewhere near the church without letting the officials?
(6) If truly he has been a true member, he should know that even if the head of the unit is against him, he should have gone into the church and report him to any other Unit Head, Deacon/Deaconness, Elder(s), or any Pastor and his case would have been attended to immediately without bias. Because the leadership of the church won't take their action lightly if at all, it is true.
(7) For the number of years he has been in the Church he is still not a member of any unit group? That cast a doubt on his true membership in that Church. Because if he belongs to any unit, he would have reported the matter to his own unit head.
(cool The Bible said, if you had a grudge against your fellow brother (Christian), never you take the matter to the judge outside, rather, present it to the elders (pastors) in the church for an amicable solution, we shouldn't allowed unbelievers to settle our matters.
(9) How will you feel when you caned your child and he immediately went outside to call your neighbour when he hasn't reported it to his mother?
(10) Your friend said the head of the Police Anti Robbery Team called him aside and told him to take up the matter. Haba! When a Senior (woman) Police Officer is around and had shouted at him, he still had the audacity to call your friend aside for at least 3minutes advice? Hmmmm!
(11) Think with your mind not with the head. I know there is an onslaught of evil allegations against the Body of Christ the world over, but, the good news is, They Shall Not Prevail. The Church will Keep Marching on until the day of resurrection.

Really?

5 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Next IG: @Op, I am not going to exonorate the church from some unwanted happenings within her, but this your story lacks substance. Why did I said so?

The lord is good. And someone will tell us islam is brutal or terror.

1 Like

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 08, 2013

You are defending the indefensible behaviour of gangsters and charlatans.

55 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:53pm On Sep 08, 2013
frosbel:

You are defending the indefensible behaviour of gangsters and charlatans.

Let the Lord judge the criminals.

~Tupac Shakur
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by manmustwac(m): 7:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is why christians have to ask themselves question like who is a true christian. You are all hypocrites

2 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by UyiIredia(m): 7:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. But the 'nonsense' spurring your condemnation for christainity does not define the faith.

True. It does define the people however, and that's a huge shame, moreso when they think 'anointing' precludes certain doers of such evil from criticism. One thing rings clear from this: religion doesn't guarantee one's morality.

1 Like

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by soundtruth(m): 8:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
Eye opener
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 8:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
Words of a supposed man of God that is expected to follow in the foot steps of Christ:

"if i had my gun with me, i'd have gunned all of you down" who is Amosun? I will curse his government" "president Jonathan can not close that gate" Bishop Oyedepo

6 Likes

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

True. It does define the people however, and that's a huge shame, moreso when they think 'anointing' precludes certain doers of such evil from criticism. One thing rings clear from this: religion doesn't guarantee one's morality.
You are still saying the same thing. So long it is not the character of an individual that defines a particular faith, holding the adherents of that faith accountable for the behaviour of that individual is preposterous. You don't think so?

1 Like

Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 7:40am On Sep 09, 2013
Another comment:

I am sure he will ask God to step aside for 5 minutes so he can gun all of them. you can see the mindset of these very dangerous people. Nigeria is in real trouble, Politicians destroy lives to the extent that people troop to churches for succor but they get sucked in the process. We can see what the early churches did for this country and thier legacies are there for all to see from schools to hospitals, trade centres and farm settlements, what have these new generation churches done for anyone, their schools are unaffordable, the intimidate the poor people amongst them, gone are the days of the scarf wearing modest SUs, they have been replaced or metamorphosed into these flamboyant gangsters

^^^
This was in response to Oyedepo's statement of wishing he had a gun.
Re: How My Friend Was Brutalised By Winners Chapel Officials In Abuja by PastorKun(m): 7:43am On Sep 09, 2013
Another comment:

Na wa o. So this story still dey surprise some people? Me I just dey look and laugh like Baba 70. All these money making ventures, stealing and oppressing others all in the name of The Lord. Me I don re-trace my steps back to my roots several years ago, am ANGLICAN and PROUD. According to an old friend, "Na God himself know who dey worship in spirit and in truth". I rest my case.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

RCCG Cancels Cross-Over Service Nationwide / Pastor Oritsejafor Shows His Football Skills At Warri City Stadium (Photos) / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.