Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:42 AM

An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers (11471 Views)

The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria / All Nigerian Internet Data Bundle Plans & Subscription Codes / How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 02, 2013
I am pained by the rip off going on in the data providers sector with NCC turning a blind eye or bribed.

I contacted NCC twice on their website contact page lamenting the cheating and rip off going on in the data sector through their contact page but they haven't responded. May be all Nairalanders need to visit NCC website and fill a petition in their contact page lets see if they will respond.

I used to spend 18k monthly on cobranet 4yrs ago, but as soon as GSM providers join the business then data got capped, now 40k subscription is not enough monthly and I spend more.

Can some tell me the cheat to use ? I feel I am cheated by these gluttonous ISPs.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by ifex370(m): 9:59am On Oct 02, 2013
i saw a campaign like this on another forum.....lets join forces and fight these thieves called ISPs... imagine airtel in india gives monthly data plan of 170gb for about 7-8k...and they are giving us 2gb for 1600.... bloody thieves

team #AffordableInternetng

p.s: u guys shld reduce ur dependency on ISPs for internet access
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 02, 2013
ifex370: i saw a campaign like this on another forum.....lets join forces and fight these thieves called ISPs... imagine airtel in india gives monthly data plan of 170gb for about 7-8k...and they are giving us 2gb for 1600.... bloody thieves

team #AffordableInternetng

p.s: u guys shld reduce ur dependency on ISPs for internet access

How can one reduce dependence on ISP. Will you mind breaking the code of silence by sharing the info ?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 02, 2013
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by ifex370(m): 10:06am On Oct 02, 2013
Billyonaire: I am pained by the rip off going on in the data providers sector with NCC turning a blind eye or bribed.

I contacted NCC twice on their website contact page lamenting the cheating and rip off going on in the data sector through their contact page but they haven't responded. May be all Nairalanders need to visit NCC website and fill a petition in their contact page lets see if they will respond.

I used to spend 18k monthly on cobranet 4yrs ago, but as soon as GSM providers join the business then data got capped, now 40k subscription is not enough monthly and I spend more.

Can some tell me the cheat to use ? I feel I am cheated by these gluttonous ISPs.

what's their website abeg
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by RoadLord: 10:06am On Oct 02, 2013
Monthly 1k MTN BB data plan is just 300MB.

First, I can't check my usage, it will tell me "you are within fair usage".

I don't get any message when the 300MB is exhausted. It dips into my call account balance even when I have sent DATA OFF to 131.

I can't buy a new plan. I have to wait till the suppose expiry date of the expired 300MB.

Glo offers same 1K plan for 3GB

@ MTN,
The cap renders your price slash useless.
We can get this thing cheaper, cheaper could mean more usage and more revenue.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 02, 2013
swift sells 1GB for 1000 naira
You get hypertensive when you call home and you are told "Nepa just brought light"
knowing you left a youtube addict at home

4 Likes

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Artorius(m): 10:10am On Oct 02, 2013
Those of you advising us to depend less on IPs, please tell us what the alternatives are. Na beg we dey beg.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by ifex370(m): 10:13am On Oct 02, 2013
grin
Billyonaire:

How can one reduce dependence on ISP. Will you mind breaking the code of silence by sharing the info ?

grin
Billyonaire:

i used to use multilinks before oh,but then they became money consious like their greedy counterparts mtn-eti

Now,i don port go school wireless hotspot! very breezy indeed
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Davo93(m): 10:14am On Oct 02, 2013
@OP, have you forwarded this to the appropriate quarters?? Nice one tho
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by ITbomb(m): 10:16am On Oct 02, 2013
People tend to think that Internet Bandwidth is like a tap the service provider turn at will .
NO
The main determinate is the capacity of the gateway to carry quality traffic.
Nigeria has not invested much in internet services . NigComSat is useless , fiber optics is mostly private and limited.
Turning the tap full on for all subscribers will grind the network to a halt .
It is like JAMB , if Nigerian Universities had the capacity to take everyone who wishes to pursue tertiary education , there will be no need for JAMB .
The high subscription is like a bottleneck to to provide near-quality service to few who can afford it within the capacity of the system
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by austinsmat(m): 10:17am On Oct 02, 2013
I hate network providers in Nigeria but man have no choice
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by KakiP(m): 10:20am On Oct 02, 2013
The revolution starts now!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by ifex370(m): 10:21am On Oct 02, 2013
Road_Lord: Monthly 1k MTN BB data plan is just 300MB.

First, I can't check my usage, it will tell me "you are within fair usage".

I don't get any message when the 300MB is exhausted. It dips into my call account balance even when I have sent DATA OFF to 131.

I can't buy a new plan. I have to wait till the suppose expiry date of the expired 300MB.

Glo offers same 1K plan for 3GB

@ MTN,
The cap renders your price slash useless.
We can get this thing cheaper, cheaper could mean more usage and more revenue.
i can very much remember a time when mtn monthly bis was unlimited! befor they brought down to 3gb this year!

this just goes to show you that the can make it unlimited for peets sake,buh dey js want u to kip coming bk and making themselves richer! they can afford to spend millions on celebrity embasadors and shows,buh they cant giv us steady internet access!
judgement day is coming for dem sha

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 02, 2013
ifex370: grin grin
i used to use multilinks before oh,but then they became money consious like their greedy counterparts mtn-eti

Now,i don port go school wireless hotspot! very breezy indeed

Okay, mine is corporate for office of over 20 staff. Will be funny if I relocate my staff to one barbecue joint free hotspot...lol

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Ess: 10:29am On Oct 02, 2013
Chuzzyrules: Dear ISPs,

With a heavy and sad heart, i write to you all on behalf of the general people of Nigeria who day in day out are on the internet serching for tricks and tweaks on how to bypass the restrictions you guys have placed for access your networks.

Personally i love to pay for services i use but dont want to be exploited. You guys have made a lot of money in this nation. Starting from the days you sold sim cards for 30,000 naira till date that we now get the simcards for 100 naira. If development must come to this nation, some things such as this should be put in check.

I have a feeling that after reading this, there will be a positive response in no time from you all.. i want to make a suggestion that all data types ranging from the normal mobile plan through blackberry,blackberry10,android,IOS,pc etc, become capless. let them all become unlimited data and then you can make a flat rate of 1500 naira or 2000 at most monthly "for the main time".. When this is done, the common man will at least be able to afford this and it will help.

Students in our Nigerian schools are often accused of their lecturers as being lazy but is that true? absolutely NO! not all of them can afford the means of internet research which is more direct. i have come to understand that majority of the information i read over the internet tends to stick faster.

Please i want to beg you all to please come to our aid. we want development in our country and if all sectors can employ simple measures as this, we will be where we aspire to in no time.

Thanks in anticipation

Chuzzy

The bolded is for sure!
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by PastorOluT(m): 10:33am On Oct 02, 2013
Chuzzyrules: Dear ISPs,

With a heavy and sad heart, i write to you all on behalf of the general people of Nigeria who day in day out are on the internet serching for tricks and tweaks on how to bypass the restrictions you guys have placed for access your networks.

Personally i love to pay for services i use but dont want to be exploited. You guys have made a lot of money in this nation. Starting from the days you sold sim cards for 30,000 naira till date that we now get the simcards for 100 naira. If development must come to this nation, some things such as this should be put in check.

I have a feeling that after reading this, there will be a positive response in no time from you all.. i want to make a suggestion that all data types ranging from the normal mobile plan through blackberry,blackberry10,android,IOS,pc etc, become capless. let them all become unlimited data and then you can make a flat rate of 1500 naira or 2000 at most monthly "for the main time".. When this is done, the common man will at least be able to afford this and it will help.

Students in our Nigerian schools are often accused of their lecturers as being lazy but is that true? absolutely NO! not all of them can afford the means of internet research which is more direct. i have come to understand that majority of the information i read over the internet tends to stick faster.

Please i want to beg you all to please come to our aid. we want development in our country and if all sectors can employ simple measures as this, we will be where we aspire to in no time.

Thanks in anticipation

Chuzzy
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by isaacphy: 10:47am On Oct 02, 2013
unlimited power supply is guaranteed in Nigeria, we should forget about the cost of internet going down. I am studying in India with a population of more than 1.2billion people and they have uninterrupted power supply. I am using fiber broadband internet of 15mbps with Fair usage policy of 50GB after that the speed drops to 4mbps unlimited and I pay just 1100 rupees per month which is not even up to 3000 naira. Let the government fix electricity issue then you can talk or you want them to burn fuel or diesel then layer give u cheap internet?
I agree with you abit, but do you think power supply is the only/main reason for what i call extortion by our ISP.
Pls i want to further my studies in India, can you pls inform me how to go about it? I'm really serious.
Thank you
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Dannylux: 10:49am On Oct 02, 2013
Not rich
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by remmyz(m): 10:57am On Oct 02, 2013
solidbroda: Can u imagine etisalat 200mb is sold for 2k. Hat nonsense! Sumtin you can use up within the next hour.
big lie. its 1k nd not 2k. nd besides, its even 260 Mb. not 200mb
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by dasdexter(m): 11:00am On Oct 02, 2013
mehn dis country is a joke, opinions don't count much(but i pray dis one excels), after i ave exhausted lyk 1.5gb on airtel, i turn off my browser image, imagine browsing lyk a blind man courtesy of a country i was born into dat misunderstand service for profit, one day e go beta(our prayer siince wen dem born us).

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by dasdexter(m): 11:01am On Oct 02, 2013
remmyz: big lie. its 1k nd not 2k. nd besides, its even 260 Mb. not 200mb
wateva its still a ripoff
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Felixadded(m): 11:11am On Oct 02, 2013
Chuzzyrules:

what do u mean by ASUU strike i expect a better reasoning and always gear towards the positives... if this is made possible cant u imagine the ease at which information will be explored?
That 'Mumu' doesn't comprehend the concept of that letter. I hope you can see that from what he has quoted. I'll rather you to stop wasting your time with him.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by YoshiMaster: 11:19am On Oct 02, 2013
@OP, you can't expect to get uncapped, fast Internet for N2,000.

If it was your business, would you do that? You would lose all your money just to please ppl.

I think a price of about 7-15 would be ideal for uncapped Internet, depending on the speed.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by nenergy(m): 11:21am On Oct 02, 2013
iyobs7: Until unlimited power supply is guaranteed in Nigeria, we should forget about the cost of internet going down. I am studying in India with a population of more than 1.2billion people and they have uninterrupted power supply. I am using fiber broadband internet of 15mbps with Fair usage policy of 50GB after that the speed drops to 4mbps unlimited and I pay just 1100 rupees per month which is not even up to 3000 naira. Let the government fix electricity issue then you can talk or you want them to burn fuel or diesel then layer give u cheap internet?
I agree. Reduced cost of business equals reduced cost of service. Plus, Nigerians have become too data hungry.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by YoshiMaster: 11:31am On Oct 02, 2013
iyobs7: Until unlimited power supply is guaranteed in Nigeria, we should forget about the cost of internet going down. I am studying in India with a population of more than 1.2billion people and they have uninterrupted power supply. I am using fiber broadband internet of 15mbps with Fair usage policy of 50GB after that the speed drops to 4mbps unlimited and I pay just 1100 rupees per month which is not even up to 3000 naira. Let the government fix electricity issue then you can talk or you want them to burn fuel or diesel then layer give u cheap internet?

I find this quite hard to believe, but if its true, then obviously you may have failed to elaborate on some things.

For instance I'm sure that is a wired connection, not wireless like most cell carriers here.

Secondly I'm sure they started with higher prices first to recoup investments of laying cables.

With that said though, that has to be the cheapest price for Internet in the world.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Sunymoore(m): 11:32am On Oct 02, 2013
We are living deaths in Naija. Google provide optic connections of 1gbps while the maximum I got is 300kbps
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by iyobs7(f): 11:32am On Oct 02, 2013
isaacphy: unlimited power supply is guaranteed in Nigeria, we should forget about the cost of internet going down. I am studying in India with a population of more than 1.2billion people and they have uninterrupted power supply. I am using fiber broadband internet of 15mbps with Fair usage policy of 50GB after that the speed drops to 4mbps unlimited and I pay just 1100 rupees per month which is not even up to 3000 naira. Let the government fix electricity issue then you can talk or you want them to burn fuel or diesel then layer give u cheap internet?
I agree with you abit, but do you think power supply is the only/main reason for what i call extortion by our ISP.
Pls i want to further my studies in India, can you pls inform me how to go about it? I'm really serious.
Thank you

You can add me on Facebook my name is Aizehi cesc Fabian
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Sunymoore(m): 11:36am On Oct 02, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

I find this quite hard to believe, but if its true, then obviously you may have failed to elaborate on some things.

For instance I'm sure that is a wired connection, not wireless like most cell carriers here.

Secondly I'm sure they started with higher prices first to recoup investments of laying cables.

With that said though, that has to be the cheapest price for Internet in the world.
Didn't he said fiber? Did wired telephone in Nigeria starts at a higher price?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Osyxcel(m): 11:39am On Oct 02, 2013
webdezzi: swift sells 1GB for 1000 naira
You get hypertensive when you call home and you are told "Nepa just brought light"
knowing you left a youtube addict at home

Oh Gawd! Dis post is just so funny grin grin
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 02, 2013
HeWhoMusntBeNamed:

na ASUU strike cause this thing, no be your falt, your pleas will most def fall on deaf ears

#teamkeepdreaming smiley

See your life

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Listening To Conversation On Your Cell Phone / Gotv Has Brided Us Not By Tstv. See What They Gave Their Customers Free. / One Plus CEO; One Plus 6 To Arrive In June With Snapdragon 845 On Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.