Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:54 AM

An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers (11470 Views)

The Terrible Price Of An “unlimited Internet Service” In Nigeria / All Nigerian Internet Data Bundle Plans & Subscription Codes / How To Stop Spam Texts And Calls From Telecom (GSM) Service Providers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Littlehooper: 11:48am On Oct 02, 2013
solidbroda: Can u imagine etisalat 200mb is sold for 2k. Hat nonsense! Sumtin you can use up within the next hour.

IT IS 1K NOT 2K N 260MB NOT 200 MB....
REPPING ETIBABA
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 02, 2013
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 02, 2013
Felixadded: That 'Mumu' doesn't comprehend the concept of that letter. I hope you can see that from what he has quoted. I'll rather you to stop wasting your time with him.

well said
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by YoshiMaster: 11:51am On Oct 02, 2013
Sunymoore:
Didn't he said fiber? Did wired telephone in Nigeria starts at a higher price?

That's my bad, re-read it, he did say fibre.

All the more reason why we shouldn't expect cheap uncapped plans from current wireless technology in Nigeria, i.e, 3G, 4G.

With regards to price, it's a well known fact that service providers strive to recoup capital investment first before reduction of price follows. Further reduction of prices is also facilitated by adequate competition.

A company in Abuja is presently laying fibre in select communities, and I got a chance to look at their "cost recovery plan", the first few years are aimed at recouping massive costs for laying fibre.

Btw, I just tested swifts wireless 4G LTE, and got a result of 10mbps, I'm about to jump on that.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 02, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

That's my bad, re-read it, he did say fibre.

All the more reason why we shouldn't expect cheap uncapped plans from current wireless technology in Nigeria, i.e, 3G, 4G.

With regards to price, it's a well known fact that service providers strive to recoup capital investment first before reduction of price follows. Further reduction of prices is also facilitated by adequate competition.

A company in Abuja is presently laying fibre in select communities, and I got a chance to look at their "cost recovery plan", the first few years are aimed at recouping massive costs for laying fibre.

Btw, I just tested swifts wireless 4G LTE, and got a result of 10mbps, I'm about to jump on that.

10mbps...... thats nice enough.may consider it.
whats the price like?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Littlehooper: 11:58am On Oct 02, 2013
ASSU STRIKE HAS DAMAGED THINGS...... CHUZZY GO N FIND WORK TO DO.. SITTING DOWN AT HOME, COMPOSING OR WRITING ARTICLE THAT WILL NOT BRING ANY CHANGES AIN'T GONNA HELP YOU.......

GOD HELP US OOO
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by YoshiMaster: 12:01pm On Oct 02, 2013
Chuzzyrules:

10mbps...... thats nice enough.may consider it.
whats the price like?

Not sure, the guys that are setup at palms mall said they would start selling today, going there during my lunch break to find out the price.

Up till now, they just put a tester for people. So I used speedtest.net for the tests, it was really impressive. I can finally beat all them gamers in Japan with a crisp, lag free, network.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 02, 2013
Littlehooper: ASSU STRIKE HAS DAMAGED THINGS...... CHUZZY GO N FIND WORK TO DO.. SITTING DOWN AT HOME, COMPOSING OR WRITING ARTICLE THAT WILL NOT BRING ANY CHANGES AIN'T GONNA HELP YOU.......

GOD HELP US OOO

dude i dont need to go look for a job..... am a programmer and i seriously need the internet at this early days of my venture.. but i believe u should have more of a positive mindset.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Artorius(m): 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
hammedkola: If you have DStv, get 4 things; Cable modem, wireless router, cat 5 cable and RJ45 cable,

Connect d cat5 cable to the RF Out port @ d back of the DStv decoder, and d other end to d back of the cable modem

Plug the RJ45 (also known as Lan cable) to the back of the cable modem and the other end to the wireless router, and that's all...

Configure your router, and connect to the wireless network to browse. Its unlimited and damn fast. So far you have any type of plan subscribed to on your DStv, you are good to browse for that month.
wow must it only be dstv?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 02, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Not sure, the guys that are setup at palms mall said they would start selling today, going there during my lunch break to find out the price.

Up till now, they just put a tester for people. So I used speedtest.net for the tests, it was really impressive. I can finally beat all them gamers in Japan with a crisp, lag free, network.

smiles..cool
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by seunnuga: 12:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
I am really shocked that u have to pay 2k on etisalat for just 200mb. For crying out loud i got 3GB for 2,800 on airtel. With the code *440*001#
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by olumuyiolaoluwa: 12:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
Don`t mind Etisalat I angrily sold my Eti Modem after experiencing dat 2k to 200mb Data dat vanished anonymously Bro I was angry I hav 2 embrace d Visafone I initially wanted to dump.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by bionicdude(m): 12:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
Littlehooper: ASSU STRIKE HAS DAMAGED THINGS...... CHUZZY GO N FIND WORK TO DO.. SITTING DOWN AT HOME, COMPOSING OR WRITING ARTICLE THAT WILL NOT BRING ANY CHANGES AIN'T GONNA HELP YOU.......

GOD HELP US OOO
be quiet u t.w,a.t
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by RoadLord: 12:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
10 years ago, On-net, MTN was charging N50 for 0-59 seconds. Today, it charges barely 10k/s. SMS was N15, now N4. Infrastructure didn't improve.

Then, Sim sold btw 6-25K, today it is about N25 with I beg. Only the casing changed.

BB plan use to be 5K, down to 3K. Few weeks ago, MTN BB plan was 3K, unlimited. The price was slashed and the package was capped. Nepa is still PHCN

Why would glo sell 3072MB for 1k and MTN gives 300MB for same 1K.

I can't remember any improvement in infrastructure. We are talking exploitation, you are saying infrastructure. Same excuse in 2001.

Do you know MTN has a target of 50 Billion Naira monthly in Nigeria market, a market where infrastruture is any issue.

Has it even occurred to you that almost every business can use "infrastructure" excuse.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by xyuche: 12:52pm On Oct 02, 2013
National communication commission should be at the front line in making this request a reality

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by fineworker24(m): 12:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia: 2kdoesn't look sustainable because it will more likely ovaload the Internet data trunkline. I agree tho' that they should shore up Internet facilities and reduce the price: till then, I'll find tweaks. But, seriously if I find between 6-8k per month uncapped I'll be impressed, moreso if the price is lesser but that's unlikely.
That's not a good reason because the internet trunkline as you put it can be expanded to accomodate the traffic on it.
May be you don't want poor people to have access to internet. How many people can afford a monthly uncapped internet at the rate of 6-8k? Remeber that minimium wage is 18k
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
Road_Lord:
10 years ago, On-net, MTN was charging N50 for 0-59 seconds. Today, it charges barely 10k/s. SMS was N15, now N4. Infrastructure didn't improve.

Then, Sim sold btw 6-25K, today it is about N25 with I beg. Only the casing changed.

BB plan use to be 5K, down to 3K. Few weeks ago, MTN BB plan was 3K, unlimited. The price was slashed and the package was capped. Nepa is still PHCN

Why would glo sell 3072MB for 1k and MTN gives 300MB for same 1K.

I can't remember any improvement in infrastructure. We are talking exploitation, you are saying infrastructure. Same excuse in 2001.

Do you know MTN has a target of 50 Billion Naira monthly in Nigeria market, a market where infrastruture is any issue.

Has it even occurred to you that almost every business can use "infrastructure" excuse.

u can imagine.......
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by fineworker24(m): 2:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
iyobs7: Until unlimited power supply is guaranteed in Nigeria, we should forget about the cost of internet going down. I am studying in India with a population of more than 1.2billion people and they have uninterrupted power supply. I am using fiber broadband internet of 15mbps with Fair usage policy of 50GB after that the speed drops to 4mbps unlimited and I pay just 1100 rupees per month which is not even up to 3000 naira. Let the government fix electricity issue then you can talk or you want them to burn fuel or diesel then layer give u cheap internet?
To be honest with you I didn't see any logic in what you said. It wasn't constant electricity that made them to sale sim card at the rate of 100 naira as against 30,000 naira. It wasn't constant electricity that made them to reduce call tariffs from 50 naira per minute to 20 kobo per seconds. In as much as we yean for constant electricity which seems to be a long thing, we want cheaper internet subscription rates.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by cupid4ig(m): 2:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
solidbroda: Can u imagine etisalat 200mb is sold for 2k. Hat nonsense! Sumtin you can use up within the next hour.
why are u lying 200mb 2k u can lie ooh
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Phikom(m): 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
guy na 1k...its 500mb dat is being sold 4 2k...
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by victorious1986: 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
Big.game:
Of what use is the unlimited plan without stable and standard Network. What we need most is fast, stable, standard and reliable 3G and 4G services not all this Glorified edge crap they provide us with. am in support of your motion tho
even if its 1G we have and we dont get to be exploited by ISP we can manage abi?.....
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
victorious1986:
even if its 1G we have and we dont get to be exploited by ISP we can manage abi?.....

yesooooo we go manage wella.....
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by fineworker24(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2013
ITbomb: People tend to think that Internet Bandwidth is like a tap the service provider turn at will .
NO
The main determinate is the capacity of the gateway to carry quality traffic.
Nigeria has not invested much in internet services . NigComSat is useless , fiber optics is mostly private and limited.
Turning the tap full on for all subscribers will grind the network to a halt .
It is like JAMB , if Nigerian Universities had the capacity to take everyone who wishes to pursue tertiary education ,there will be no need for JAMB .
The high subscription is like a bottleneck to to provide near-quality service to few who can afford it within the capacity of the system
I didn't agree with you on the bolded. Glo has its own fibre optics and their internet subscription is stilll high. More over using high price to place a bottle neck for quality is not good for business. The private operators has the right to upgrade their services to accomodate their numerous subscribers. Are you now saying that in those days they charged us 50 naira per minute on voice calls was because they want to place a bottle neck for quality?
Today airtel is making much money on internet subscription because they allowed their BB subscription to run on other devices and they haven't complained of network overload.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Littlehooper: 2:56pm On Oct 02, 2013
bionicdude: be quiet u t.w,a.t

WHO IS THIS? IF U CAN'T AVOID D SUBSCRIPTION FEE, DROP UR GPRS PHONE N USE NOKIA 1200
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by Littlehooper: 3:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
Chuzzyrules:

dude i dont need to go look for a job..... am a programmer and i seriously need the internet at this early days of my venture.. but i believe u should have more of a positive mindset.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE FRUSTRATED....
AS A PROGRAMMER, I THINK U SHOULD BE ABLE TO AVOID D SUBSCRIPTION FEE... AIN'T THOSE U ARE PROGRAMMING FOR NOT GONNA PAY U?
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by nathdim: 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
me airtel 3.8gb 4 2500
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by hdcforumcom(m): 3:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Chuzzyrules:

what do u mean by ASUU strike i expect a better reasoning and always gear towards the positives... if this is made possible cant u imagine the ease at which information will be explored?

Just 4get about that guy, as much as u know those are the senseless fellows that can be found on NL.

when men will be reasoning, they themslves will killing thread with rubbish from the keyboard.
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by ITbomb(m): 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
@ fineworker24
Glo has its own fibre optics and their internet subscription is stilll high.
Going through comments here, you will notice some saying it is better to stay off the GSM company data and go to WIFI hotspot. The question is where do the Hotspot provider get the massive bandwidth at relatively cheaper cost. Glo and Mainone fibre cables.
The point is, it is still very expensive to get this services to phone subscribers but for those with direct connection to the cable, it is relatively cheaper and more capacity

More over using high price to place a bottle neck for quality is not good for business. The private operators has the right to upgrade their services to accomodate their numerous subscribers.
It is better to provide better quality service to fewer people than trash to everybody.
As for capacity and upgrading, they are doing that everyday

Are you now saying that in those days they charged us 50 naira per minute on voice calls was because they want to place a bottle neck for quality?
Yes , as the capacity was improved with the cost of maintaining the services, the rate went down, not through policy or force

Today airtel is making much money on internet subscription because they allowed their BB subscription to run on other devices and they haven't complained of network overload.
They havent complained of network overload but you are always complaining of slow speed. Network overload means slow speed. Dont expect them to complain publicly as they are always upgrading everyday to accommodate more traffic
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by purplekayc(m): 4:49pm On Oct 02, 2013
My friends in the UK and Sweden tell me that their internet connection comes with their cable payment and house rent respectively and its super fast and efficient .. We they suffer 4 here oo
Re: An Open Letter To Nigerian Internet Service Providers by purplekayc(m): 4:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
kingston247: Please post this on front page every week ...
??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Compare Smartphones - Symbian Vs Windows Mobile / Listening To Conversation On Your Cell Phone / Gotv Has Brided Us Not By Tstv. See What They Gave Their Customers Free.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.