Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? (5707 Views)

Please Strong Christians What's The Meaning Of This Dream / Fellow Christians: What Is Happening To Us? / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by MEILYN(m): 8:12am On Sep 16, 2013
Chibuebem: we have passed the era of being under the law. The law is now fulfilled in us, as we walk in love. The fact that you do not even understand what i am saying now implies that
-you should have studied harder before creating this thread
-you are an unspiritual man. Spiritual wisdom is incompatible with you..
rubbish.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 16, 2013
MEILYN: rubbish.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 16, 2013
plaetton:

Unbelievable!

Sir honourable Reyginus,
If I have to show you where the bible tasked Christians to keep the Sabbath holy, then I may have to recommend you for a refresher course in junior Sunday school.
Pls, don't make me do that.
Still pretending not to understand. You made a claim that saturday is the sabbath day. I know such to be untrue. All i'm asking for is your reason for making such claim.
And stop pretending you don't understand.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by takeprofit: 10:02am On Sep 16, 2013
noblefada:
The Sabbath in the law was figurative of what was to come in form of salvation, where God's people will seize from their works (law) and receive the grace of salvation through Jesus Christ and all that is needed is to believe, Heb 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. ( pls read Hebrews chapter 3&4 for better understanding). So through the grace of God that is gotten thru faith in Christ Jesus, believers now have rest in the finished work of Cross. So what happened to the Sabbath day, it has been fulfilled. Mat 5:17: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

makes some sense but still trying to understand.
does it mean God working for six days to create the world is also a figurative of man's work to obtain salvation by obeying the laws?
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by takeprofit: 10:03am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 10:03am On Sep 16, 2013
plaetton: @Goshen360, Chiduebem, Haibe, Noblefada etc,

2. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Here again, Jesus categorically states that till heaven and earth pass ( till the end of the world) nothing whatsoever shall be removed from the law till all be fulfilled.

Again, Goshel, et al, you are sooooo wrong.

Just calm down and read okay? This verse you quoted should answer your question but because you are being skeptical you won't ever notice the answer.

"For verily i say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED"

We can rephrase this statement in new english as "UNTIL ALL THE LAW IS FULFILLED, one jot or one title shall in now wise pass away until heaven and earth pass away.

Either way you understand the statements above it simply mean; the law's won't pass away 'until it is fulfilled'

The word until means 'up to the time of something happening'

So Jesus fulfilled the law when he died on the cross of carlvary, he became the perfect sacrifice for our sins, the law was temporary pointing to the permanent and the true will of God 'Jesus'.

When Jesus died he fulfilled the law.

So Now that he has fulfilled the law, it simply means the law can now pass away(heb 8:13) since the new covenant in christ has been made, once again Jesus said "the law won't pass away until it is fulfilled", so now that it is fulfilled, the law can now pass away.

"For christ is the end of the law to everyone that believeth" (Romans 10:4)

When you accept christ into your life, the law ends that moment, you now operate by the leading of the Holy Spirit.

"But if ye be led by the Spirit, ye are not under the law"(galatians 5:18).

When you posess the Spirit of God, you begin to operate in liberty, liberty means freedom from any form of bondage, whether bondage of sin or bondage of the law.

"Stand fast in the liberty wherewith christ has made you free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage" (galatians 5:1)

"And where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty" (2 corinthians 3:17)

However as christians we do not use our liberty as an occassion to please the flesh but to please God and this is very possible since we are dead to sin and alive to holiness and newness of life through Jesus.

So plaetton, the law has been fulfilled by Jesus and since it has been fulfilled it can now pass away and has passed away for those that believe.

We christians also prove the fulfillment of the law by loving our neigbour as ourselves (Galatians 5:14).

1 Like

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 10:03am On Sep 16, 2013
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

Just calm down and read okay? This verse you quoted should answer your question but because you are being skeptical you won't ever notice the answer.

"For verily i say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED"

We can rephrase this statement in new english as "UNTIL ALL THE LAW IS FULFILLED, one jot or one title shall in now wise pass away until heaven and earth pass away.

Either way you understand the statements above it simply mean; the law's won't pass away 'until it is fulfilled'

So Jesus fulfilled the law when he died on the cross of carlvary, he became the perfect sacrifice for our sins, the law was temporary pointing to the permanent and the true will of God 'Jesus'.

So Now that he has fulfilled the law, it simply means the law can now pass away(heb 8:13) since the new covenant in christ has been made, once again Jesus said "the law won't pass away until it is fulfilled", so now that it is fulfilled, the law can now pass away.

When you accept christ into your life, the law ends that moment, you now operate by the leading of the Holy Spirit.

When you posess the Spirit of God, you begin to operate in liberty, liberty means freedom from any form of bondage, whether bondage of sin or bondage of the law.

"Stand fast in the liberty wherewith christ has made you free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage" (galatians 5:1)

However as christians we do not use our liberty as an occassion to please the flesh but to please God and this is very possible since we are dead to sin and alive to holiness and newness of life through Jesus.

So plaetton, the law has been fulfilled by Jesus and since it has been fulfilled it can now pass away and has passed away for those that believe.

We christians also prove the fulfillment of the law by loving our neigbour as ourselves (Galatians 5:14).
GOD BLESS YOU nwokem.

1 Like

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 10:39am On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

We humans are created in the image of God, wonderfully and fearfully made so He won't want us to be murdered even though he can create more.

Killing animals aren't unlawful, infact some are created mainly for meat, do you eat meat or fish or snail or crab??

God cannot be male since he isn't human, i used He because that's the only possible pronoun i know to use.

If "god" is neither a he or she, why not use " it" ? And since you say god is neither male nor female, what image(according to you) are humans created in? But from my understanding the bible did not use the word "create", " make" was the word used. In fact it said " let "us" "make" man in our image and after our "likeness".

So please can you re- explain to me once again.

Thanks
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by MostHigh: 10:41am On Sep 16, 2013
Goshen360: @ plaetton,

Do. you know why the law, including the 10 commandments is null and void to Christians?

This is because, the law itself says, if you gonna keep the law, you must keep ALL. And the Sabbath is included in this ALL that you have to keep.

Since we cannot pick some and leave others out, the WHOLE is null and void. The ones that are re-introduced to us in the new testament is not because the law says so but because it is part of our new nature in Christ.

Goshen the Lawless man. smiley

1 Like

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by MostHigh: 10:47am On Sep 16, 2013
Goshen360: The ten commandments is null and void at the cross of Christ including the Sabbath. When the new testament says, don't commit adultery, it's not because the law said so but because it is instructed in the new testament and because adultery is against our new birth and nature.

Which kinna talk is this one ma sef?

Your professed master never said such, as a matter of fact he upheld.

You keep on trying to decieve children by telling them it dosent matter how your master lived.

A devil transliterated into english simply means DECIEVER. smiley

1 Like

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Goshen360(m): 10:49am On Sep 16, 2013
takeprofit:

nawaoo. so, i have no business with the old testament (what is it still doing in the bible?) since its an executed contract.
lets face the new testament/contract.

btw Tithing is a product of old contract? hw about all these talk about women wearing trouser or not?

You have a better covenant in Christ. The old covenant was between God and Israel, the new is between God, through Christ and the church, as many that believes. You should better understand your own covenant rather than understanding another man's covenant.

Tithing, trouser for women are not part of the new covenant.

1 Like

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 10:49am On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

Obviously Goshen meant murder, not understanding context is what make you find the bible confusing, if you murder someone now is it a sin?

Yes murder is a crime in most societies on the planet and also a possibility in nature. If it were possible to remove the act murder from the society,it would have been a huge achievement for a "creator" . The makers of Microsoft haven't been able to block viruses from attacking their software,while the makers of apple have been able to. Who among the two would care less about virus? Certainly it would be the apple makers!

What am saying is, virus is not a crime,it only highlights the presence of "imperfection of the creator" . Therefore,if the" creator" of humans,which is god(according to you) is perfect with its creation, murder or any form of sin would have been eliminated from human possible behaviour.

The above leads to a kind of evidence that it is the fault of the creators and not the humans/creation.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 11:11am On Sep 16, 2013
Judas2013:

If "god" is neither a he or she, why not use " it" ? And since you say god is neither male nor female, what image(according to you) are humans created in? But from my understanding the bible did not use the word "create", " make" was the word used. In fact it said " let "us" "make" man in our image and after our "l
ikeness".

So please can you re- explain to me once again.

Thanks

Φƙα̲̅ψ you are right, it is make not create gringrin
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 11:20am On Sep 16, 2013
Judas2013:

Yes murder is a crime in most societies on the planet and also a possibility in nature. If it were possible to remove the act murder from the society,it would have been a huge achievement for a "creator" . The makers of Microsoft haven't been able to block viruses from attacking their software,while the makers of apple have been able to. Who among the two would care less about virus? Certainly it would be the apple makers!

What am saying is, virus is not a crime,it only highlights the presence of "imperfection of the creator" . Therefore,if the" creator" of humans,which is god(according to you) is perfect with its creation, murder or any form of sin would have been eliminated from human possible behaviour.

The above leads to a kind of evidence that it is the fault of the creators and not the humans/creation.

If you have the presence of God in your life as a christian, you won't think of commiting murder
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by noblefada: 11:26am On Sep 16, 2013
takeprofit:

makes some sense but still trying to understand.
does it mean God working for six days to create the world is also a figurative of man's work to obtain salvation by obeying the laws?
That is very good question. The answer is no, God actually created for six days, but what we understand now is that throughout the OT, while God inspired men to write, He seemingly inserted some clues, pointers, codes about Christ and the work of salvation, even the writers themselves were not aware. So through diligent study you will see Christ prophecy and mission scattered throughout the OT, which makes study of the bible very interesting.
Let me say this two things, this mystery of Christ in hidden in the scriptures is one of the reason why no one can disprove or invalidate the bible. Secondly majority of the epistles esp that of Paul where written from this hidden clues. Make effort to find it out the next time ur reading the epistles. God Bless
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Heathen(m): 12:13pm On Sep 16, 2013
The 10 commandments are null and void.....................finally i can covet my neighbours' OX.
I......i don't know okay, i just envy the man and his OX!

1 Like

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 12:32pm On Sep 16, 2013
Heathen: The 10 commandments are null and void.....................finally i can covet my neighbours' OX.
I......i don't know okay, i just envy the man and his OX!

You need to be born again, if you are you won't covet because you would have been transformed into a new creature, a creature that operates in love by the leading of the Holy Spirit, if you truely love your neighbour, you won't covet his property.

Just accept christ, you would understand what i mean.

2 Likes

Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by nnofaith: 12:46pm On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

You need to be born again, if you are you won't covet because you would have been transformed into a new creature, a creature that operates in love by the leading of the Holy Spirit, if you truely love your neighbour, you won't covet his property.

save your preaching, we are beyond redemption!
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 1:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
nnofaith: save your preaching, we are beyond redemption!

Φƙα̲̅ψ bro but speak for yourself, "you are beyond redemption"
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 1:21pm On Sep 16, 2013
nnofaith: save your preaching, we are beyond redemption!
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by takeprofit: 1:38pm On Sep 16, 2013
Goshen360:

You have a better covenant in Christ. The old covenant was between God and Israel, the new is between God, through Christ and the church, as many that believes. You should better understand your own covenant rather than understanding another man's covenant.

Tithing, trouser for women are not part of the new covenant.

Thanks for ur contributions, if not some pple wld be more confused. the matter has bcome simplified. i have more difficult questions to understand here.
https://www.nairaland.com/1435868/bible-babble-contradictions-holy-bible
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by noblefada: 2:54pm On Sep 16, 2013
takeprofit:

Thanks for ur contributions, if not some pple wld be more confused. the matter has bcome simplified. i have more difficult questions to understand here.
If u're a xtian don't bother about the above, those guys are not ready for answers. Go through the thread u will see what i'm talking about. Shallow
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Goshen360(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
takeprofit:

I don't have much time at hand but I will honour your invitation, I will attend that thread when I do have time. There's absolutely no contradictions in the bible, we only need to study.

Even when I took a glance at the thread, I thought it was going to be a hard question, not knowing it was as simple as ABC... cheesy
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 5:26pm On Sep 16, 2013
macof:
Christians are confused people.

Moses allegedly was raised in the palace of Pharaoh. Everything he knew was learned in Egypt. Is there any archeological evidence that the Israelite were slaves in Egypt? no! . Amen Ra was the God Moses grew up to know. The 10 commandments made popular by the Israelite was originally written in Egypt long time before Moses was born. The story of Jesus belongs to Horus. Revelation is not an end time book. It was referred to the apocalypse of the end of the Roman rule over the jew back in the days. 666 was in reference to Nero the emperor of Rome back then. i can go on and on about the lies in the bible

A word is always enough for the wise!
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 5:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

Regardless of the fact that the first Christ was Horus. The story of Horus was photocopied and pasted on Jesus. I wanna believe you want him to accept Horus the Sun,which i would understand.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 5:31pm On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

If you have the presence of God in your life as a christian, you won't think of commiting murder

And talking about God. Isnt that supposed to be on the inside of everyone? Unless you are talking about another god here.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 5:33pm On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

And talking about God. Isn't that supposed to be on the inside of everyone? Unless you are talking about another god here.

Can a human be separate from god(his inner self)? i doubt! unless you experience an illusion of being without one
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by haibe(m): 6:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
Judas2013:

And talking about God. Isn't that supposed to be on the inside of everyone? Unless you are talking about another god here.

Can a human be separate from god(his inner self)? i doubt! unless you experience an illusion of being without one

God is a supreme being, i don't mean your inner self, when one becomes born again, God comes to dwell in him/her in the person of the Holy Spirit.
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by Judas2013: 6:49pm On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

God is a supreme being, i don't mean your inner self, when one becomes born again, God comes to dwell in him/her in the person of the Holy Spirit.

And who is this god you are talking about in particular? The ones written in the bible were in plural .And they were extraterrestrials. So which one are you talking about?
Re: Christians, What Happened To The 4th Commandment? by plaetton: 7:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
haibe:

Absolutely wrong .
you guys are way off the mark.

Jesus himself said ,
"Do not for once think that I have come to abolish the law"

Which part of that do you not understand?

Fulfilled does not mean abolish or annul.

Fulfill, in this context means to fill up, to expand, to reiterates, to embolden.

And this is exactly what Jesus does.
He expands the very laws you guys are erroneously thinking that he annuled.

For example, instead of just saying do not commit adultery (from the 10 commandments), Jesus ful-fills, or expands the law by stating that even looking or lusting after a woman is to be considered adultery.
And many more...

Do you understand?
Your misunderstanding comes from a mistransliteration of greek word in the original scriptures.
Ful-fill in this context means fill up, suppliment, expand, reiterate, etc.

It does not mean wiped off, abolished or annuled.

Jesus came to expand the law, not to abolish them.
This is what he said with his own mouth.

Paul reiterated this in Romans 3 verse 31:

" Do we then make Void the law through faith?
God forbid: Yea, we establish the law".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can You Curse What God Has Blessed? / Never Neglect Rules And Focus On Prayer / The Difference Between The Average Nairaland Muslim And Nairaland Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.