Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:58 PM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131697 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 03, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

Hahahahahaa!...... He is not a M0derator 00! Check 0ut his P0sts!

Rumors On Being A 'moderator' In
Nairaland

I Was Banned For Nothing; I Quit
Nairaland

Do you ^^^ still Believe he is a M0derator?
WHAT angry angry
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:33pm On Oct 03, 2013
LoL

You know you like speaking your feelings VS FACTS.

the name "LOYOLA" is known as a jesuit school. Loyola University IN CHICAGO ranks 650 on QS WORLD rankings and Quinlan Business school is NOT ranked. HERE ARE THE LINKS FOR REFERENCES (AGAIN, something you don't seem to be able to do)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/loyola-university-chicago-1710

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyola_University_Chicago#Rankings_and_demographics

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/loyola-university-chicago/

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/undergraduate_mba_profiles/loyolachi.html

http://www.topuniversities.com/node/2832/ranking-details/world-university-rankings/2013

The ONLY "prestigious" ranking your school has is it is ONE OF the largest 28 Jesuit universities.

I am a citizen. Born in Cali. Sorry to burst your bubble. I work directly with EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP. I attend an Ivy. I know it sucks for you that you can't use the "loyola" name to brag. If you went to Loyola University in MARYLAND or even the one in New Orleans, THEN you could even SPEW the "Loyola name"

I have my ID card, It's very easy to SCAN it and show as proof, but are you even worth that. If you shoot me an email I can show you my STUDENT ID CARD, AT MY IVY. You're really salty I see.. LMAO it's cool, you're allowed to feel bad about yourself.

Unlike you, when I STATE a FACT, I FOLLOW UP with PROOF, REFERENCES and EVIDENCE. I don't "just talk out of my feelings"

I google? LMAO, I am SURE you have "google" as well... Can you USE it I mean, since I have google and you do as well, why can't you COME UP WITH FACTS? I am not making anyone think I know better - I KNOW BETTER.

You can't spell , you are NOT ahead of me in any way. I can almost bet on it. Of course, there are people who are way advanced, to those who are actually AHEAD in life, I give them due respect and LEARN from them. You? I don't think so.

LMAO You can sponsor me in college? LOL sure thing, here is a list of my tuition http://www.finaid.cornell.edu/cost-attend

You don't see the lackluster skills of "Loyola Chicago" ?? Evaluate yourself, you can't even spell. What does that say about your degree?

You have a LOT OF TALK, nothing to back it up. Shut up and enjoy your 5th tier MBA

Lucasbalo: . It shows how dump and stupid u are. Go and talk to anyone from the Midwest and ask about Loyola university . It's one of d top catholic colleges in d Midwest . It's irrelevant to argue with a dunderhead like u still trying to find your way thru life if infant you are still in college. You said you are a student in an Ivy League school. Yea you are right, president Obama is my cousin. You google all this crap on d Internet and try to make people think u know better. Impress the fools that doesn't know better. Not people that are way ahead of u in all spheres of life. Come talk to me after u are done with college and get something positive going in your life. I am comfortable enough to sponsor u thru college. By the way, u mentioned that you work in direct contact with CEO. Whoa , u r a know nothing clown. Waiting for ur immigration officers , need free ticket to Nigeria , my vacation is coming up soon. Bye fool.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:36pm On Oct 03, 2013
Like Seriously.

Now I get it why a Nigerian Attorney I met here said Nigerians don't honestly deserve help. I get it. smh

Originalsly: Comparing USA to Nigeria...is that the topic? If it were the topic I would agree with you....but that is not the topic. You guys tire me.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:42pm On Oct 03, 2013
At least you argue like a literate.

saying I am "indirectly" doing anything is you making ASSUMPTIONS. And you know what they say about assumptions?

Any SANE objective reasonable person will LOOK at this thread and decipher what needs to be deciphered. This thread is not geared to "hopeless naija boyz/illiterates"

It is geared to those who can REASON and are OBJECTIVELY considering moving to America. It HIGHLIGHTS some of the harsh realities of America and allows the reader to make an HONEST, and INFORMED opinion about moving to America. There are "opportunities" in New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland (the best economy in the world, HQ of World Bank etc) Sweden, France, etc.

It may NOT be a "healthy" option to DIRECTLY move to America (if "making it" is HONESTLY the reason for wanting to move), perhaps "making it" in less harsher countries might EASE the transition to America.

A lot of people want to move to america JUST TO SAY they are in AMERICA - we all see those who claim they have MBAs from schools ranked 650th. Are OAU and Lagos Business school not better than that?

fittty:

Young man, your thread is indirectly comparing the US and NIGERIA. You are asking nairalanders who intend migrating to the US if they really know where they are heading to, so that would leave them with weighing their opportunities in both countries. An average Nigerian would want to stick to migrating anyday anytime. Go take a look at the visa lottery thread/ Study Thread. If you're having a difficult time in the US then get on the next flight to Nigeria.

You obviously don't know what graduates face in Nigeria. After spending years of studying hard coupled with strikes and all, you end up in the labor market for years searching for jobs....

You are still 20 years, when you're all grown and face the challenges of life rather than checking google then you'll know what grown men are talking about

Use your initiatives, The topic boils down to comparing surviving in both countries

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Allohrandy(m): 10:44pm On Oct 03, 2013
fittty:

Young man, your thread is indirectly comparing the US and NIGERIA. You are asking nairalanders who intend migrating to the US if they really know where they are heading to, so that would leave them with weighing their opportunities in both countries. An average Nigerian would want to stick to migrating anyday anytime. Go take a look at the visa lottery thread/ Study Thread. If you're having a difficult time in the US then get on the next flight to Nigeria.

You obviously don't know what graduates face in Nigeria. After spending years of studying hard coupled with strikes and all, you end up in the labor market for years searching for jobs....

You are still 20 years, when you're all grown and face the challenges of life rather than checking google then you'll know what grown men are talking about

Use your initiatives, The topic boils down to comparing surviving in both countries
Just like in Nigeria, US also has a high rate of unemployment and underemployment for graduate too. I know many US graduates that are unemployed or underemployed working minimum wage job in Wal-mart,or waiting table in restaurant. Unless you are some kind of Genius with years of experience, getting a GOOD job in US now is all about Networking ( knowing the right people). it is not easy in both US or Nigeria and its all about hard work and some kind of luck to survive in both country. The US government recently shut down because of its debt and needs to borrow more money by raising the debt limit. This is an article on the present state of US economy..............................................................................................................

Stacey Kalivas should be celebrating her graduation from college later this week. Instead, the 22 year-old is getting ready to move back home with broken dreams and in debt. Kalivas is a member of the class of 2013, the fifth successive wave of students to enter into a stubbornly weak U.S. labor market—marked by high unemployment, a large number of part-time workers, and many who have given up the hunt for jobs. “It’s kind of tough to be graduating and not having anything,” said Kalivas. The finance major will graduate from Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island, on May 18.

It has been nearly four years since the end of the worst U.S. economic downturn since the Great Depression, but the recovery has been too spotty to patch up the deep scars. Growth has struggled to rise much above two percent on a yearly basis, with quarters of relatively strong expansion typically followed by lulls. Employers have been reluctant to ramp-up hiring, leaving unemployment at 7.5 percent—nearly three percentage points above its pre-recession level. Employers plan to hire only 2.1 percent more new college graduates this year than in 2012, according to a survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers. Last fall they thought the increase would be 13 percent.
A separate survey by staffing firm Adecco found that about 58 percent of 500 hiring managers across the country have no plans to hire new graduates. Of those hiring, more than two thirds said they would take only one or two candidates. These grim statistics resonate with Kalivas. In her search for a job as a financial analyst, she has applied for seven positions. “It’s frustrating because I feel like I will be more than qualified for the job description, but I am not even making it past the first stage,” she said.
Similar tales are recounted by other students.

“Nobody is hiring or accepting interns,” said Brian Dobson, who recently graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a degree in political science. The 29-year-old Iraq war veteran has submitted resumes to 15 companies hoping to find employment in either public affairs, marketing, or as a lobbyist. All have been met with rejections.
The Class of 2013 is competing with four other groups of graduates going back to 2009, many of whom are still struggling to get a job or find full-time work.

Brian Hackett graduated in 2010 with a political science and public policy degree. “I am working part-time at a research company, but it’s not enough hours, it’s not enough pay and it’s not my career path. That’s the type of rut a lot of people like myself are falling in,” said Hackett.
In April, unemployment among workers under the age of 25 was at 16.1 percent, more than double the national rate.
While the unemployment rate for young college graduates between the ages of 21-24 who are not enrolled in further schooling is 8.8 percent, the underemployment rate, a gauge of those only working part time or who want a job but have given up looking, is at 18.3 percent. The jobless rate for this group was 5.7 percent in 2007; the underemployment rate was 9.9 percent.

“In addition to the substantial share who are officially unemployed, a large swath of these young, highly educated workers have either a job but cannot attain the hours they need or want a job but have given up looking for work,” said Heidi Shierholz, a senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute (EPI) in Washington. The tough labor market is forcing college graduates to settle for jobs that do not require a degree, a trend economists refer to as cyclical downgrading.

Lauren Hughes, a double major in theater and English, is heading in that direction. After graduating from Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, she will work as a waitress in her home town of Huntley, Illinois. But she hopes it will be only for a few months. Hughes will make about $4.95 an hour, but with tips she figures she can take home between $45 and $110 a day—money she will save for a job hunt in New York’s theaters in the fall. Hughes is also looking at secretarial work, copy editing, and teaching as a back stop. “I am not very optimistic,” she said.
Emily Savage is looking to go the same route after a frustrating search for jobs in the fields of conservation biology, genetics, and molecular biology. “It’s kind of disappointing. I am probably going to get a job that’s not in my field to survive for the next six months and apply to grad school,” said the Penn State University biology major. “A minimum wage job might be my only option.”

Dobson, who did two tours in Iraq between 2003 and 2006, is not far behind. He and his wife moved in with his parents when he enrolled in college after four years of active duty in the Army. He has tried jobs that give veterans preference. “I need to get back into the workforce. My plan is to find any employment that is possible, whether it is at Applebee’s or Lowe’s, whoever is hiring,” he said.
A study by the EPI found that 52 percent of employed college graduates under the age of 24 were working in jobs that did not require a degree last year. That was up from 47 percent in 2007.
In the fight for jobs, the young graduates are also up against a large group of older Americans forced to work beyond their retirement age to rebuild nest eggs shattered during the recession. The share of Americans aged 65 years and older with either a job or looking for one is at a 51-year high.

LIFETIME OF LOW WAGES
The combination of unemployment and menial jobs puts young workers on course for a life of low wages and earnings. “For the young who are getting out of school, studies show a lot of their earnings growth comes in the first 10 years after they get out of school,” said Keith Hall, a senior research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center.

According to the EPI, young college graduates with full-time jobs earned an average hourly wage of $16.60 last year, roughly $34,500 a year. That is down 7.6 percent from 2007. Benefits are also a problem. Between 2000 and 2011, the share of young graduates whose jobs provide for retirement plans dropped to 27.2 percent from 41.5 percent, EPI said. The trend is troubling given that most students are graduating from college with huge debts.

Dobson is fortunate. The government took care of his tuition costs through the Post-9/11 GI-Bill, which provides financial support to service personnel. But Kalivas and Savage are not so lucky. Each owes about $30,000 in student debt. According to the New York Federal Reserve Bank, the share of 25-year-olds with student loan debt has risen to more than 40 percent from about 25 percent in 2004. The non-profit Institute for College Access & Success says students who graduated last year had average debts of $26,600.
“The next generation will find it hard to buy their first home or finance other large purchases,” said Julia Coronado, chief North America economist at BNP Paribas in New York.

Kalivas, the would-be financial analyst, will take a break from her job search for a month after graduating. “A lot of companies have been telling us to look for positions opening up in the second and third quarter. They are starting to advertise some positions,” said Kalivas. “I am going to move back with my parents, unfortunately, but I do plan on getting out as quickly as possible,” she said, with a laugh.

http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/economic-trouble-for-graduating-class-of-2013-57700/

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
thank you for your common sense

Allohrandy: Just like in Nigeria, US also has a high rate of unemployment and underemployment for graduate too. I know many US graduates that are unemployed or underemployed working minimum wage job in Wal-mart,or waiting table in restaurant. Unless you are some kind of Genius with years of experience, getting a GOOD job in US now is all about Networking ( knowing the right people). it is not easy in both US or Nigeria and its all about hard work and some kind of luck to survive in both country. The US government recently shut down because of its debt and needs to borrow more money by raising the debt limit. This is an article on the present state of US economy..............................................................................................................

Stacey Kalivas should be celebrating her graduation from college later this week. Instead, the 22 year-old is getting ready to move back home with broken dreams and in debt. Kalivas is a member of the class of 2013, the fifth successive wave of students to enter into a stubbornly weak U.S. labor market—marked by high unemployment, a large number of part-time workers, and many who have given up the hunt for jobs. “It’s kind of tough to be graduating and not having anything,” said Kalivas. The finance major will graduate from Bryant University in Smithfield, Rhode Island, on May 18.

It has been nearly four years since the end of the worst U.S. economic downturn since the Great Depression, but the recovery has been too spotty to patch up the deep scars. Growth has struggled to rise much above two percent on a yearly basis, with quarters of relatively strong expansion typically followed by lulls. Employers have been reluctant to ramp-up hiring, leaving unemployment at 7.5 percent—nearly three percentage points above its pre-recession level. Employers plan to hire only 2.1 percent more new college graduates this year than in 2012, according to a survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers. Last fall they thought the increase would be 13 percent.
A separate survey by staffing firm Adecco found that about 58 percent of 500 hiring managers across the country have no plans to hire new graduates. Of those hiring, more than two thirds said they would take only one or two candidates. These grim statistics resonate with Kalivas. In her search for a job as a financial analyst, she has applied for seven positions. “It’s frustrating because I feel like I will be more than qualified for the job description, but I am not even making it past the first stage,” she said.
Similar tales are recounted by other students.

“Nobody is hiring or accepting interns,” said Brian Dobson, who recently graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a degree in political science. The 29-year-old Iraq war veteran has submitted resumes to 15 companies hoping to find employment in either public affairs, marketing, or as a lobbyist. All have been met with rejections.
The Class of 2013 is competing with four other groups of graduates going back to 2009, many of whom are still struggling to get a job or find full-time work.

Brian Hackett graduated in 2010 with a political science and public policy degree. “I am working part-time at a research company, but it’s not enough hours, it’s not enough pay and it’s not my career path. That’s the type of rut a lot of people like myself are falling in,” said Hackett.
In April, unemployment among workers under the age of 25 was at 16.1 percent, more than double the national rate.
While the unemployment rate for young college graduates between the ages of 21-24 who are not enrolled in further schooling is 8.8 percent, the underemployment rate, a gauge of those only working part time or who want a job but have given up looking, is at 18.3 percent. The jobless rate for this group was 5.7 percent in 2007; the underemployment rate was 9.9 percent.

“In addition to the substantial share who are officially unemployed, a large swath of these young, highly educated workers have either a job but cannot attain the hours they need or want a job but have given up looking for work,” said Heidi Shierholz, a senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute (EPI) in Washington. The tough labor market is forcing college graduates to settle for jobs that do not require a degree, a trend economists refer to as cyclical downgrading.

Lauren Hughes, a double major in theater and English, is heading in that direction. After graduating from Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan, she will work as a waitress in her home town of Huntley, Illinois. But she hopes it will be only for a few months. Hughes will make about $4.95 an hour, but with tips she figures she can take home between $45 and $110 a day—money she will save for a job hunt in New York’s theaters in the fall. Hughes is also looking at secretarial work, copy editing, and teaching as a back stop. “I am not very optimistic,” she said.
Emily Savage is looking to go the same route after a frustrating search for jobs in the fields of conservation biology, genetics, and molecular biology. “It’s kind of disappointing. I am probably going to get a job that’s not in my field to survive for the next six months and apply to grad school,” said the Penn State University biology major. “A minimum wage job might be my only option.”

Dobson, who did two tours in Iraq between 2003 and 2006, is not far behind. He and his wife moved in with his parents when he enrolled in college after four years of active duty in the Army. He has tried jobs that give veterans preference. “I need to get back into the workforce. My plan is to find any employment that is possible, whether it is at Applebee’s or Lowe’s, whoever is hiring,” he said.
A study by the EPI found that 52 percent of employed college graduates under the age of 24 were working in jobs that did not require a degree last year. That was up from 47 percent in 2007.
In the fight for jobs, the young graduates are also up against a large group of older Americans forced to work beyond their retirement age to rebuild nest eggs shattered during the recession. The share of Americans aged 65 years and older with either a job or looking for one is at a 51-year high.

LIFETIME OF LOW WAGES
The combination of unemployment and menial jobs puts young workers on course for a life of low wages and earnings. “For the young who are getting out of school, studies show a lot of their earnings growth comes in the first 10 years after they get out of school,” said Keith Hall, a senior research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center.

According to the EPI, young college graduates with full-time jobs earned an average hourly wage of $16.60 last year, roughly $34,500 a year. That is down 7.6 percent from 2007. Benefits are also a problem. Between 2000 and 2011, the share of young graduates whose jobs provide for retirement plans dropped to 27.2 percent from 41.5 percent, EPI said. The trend is troubling given that most students are graduating from college with huge debts.

Dobson is fortunate. The government took care of his tuition costs through the Post-9/11 GI-Bill, which provides financial support to service personnel. But Kalivas and Savage are not so lucky. Each owes about $30,000 in student debt. According to the New York Federal Reserve Bank, the share of 25-year-olds with student loan debt has risen to more than 40 percent from about 25 percent in 2004. The non-profit Institute for College Access & Success says students who graduated last year had average debts of $26,600.
“The next generation will find it hard to buy their first home or finance other large purchases,” said Julia Coronado, chief North America economist at BNP Paribas in New York.

Kalivas, the would-be financial analyst, will take a break from her job search for a month after graduating. “A lot of companies have been telling us to look for positions opening up in the second and third quarter. They are starting to advertise some positions,” said Kalivas. “I am going to move back with my parents, unfortunately, but I do plan on getting out as quickly as possible,” she said, with a laugh.

http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/economic-trouble-for-graduating-class-of-2013-57700/

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 11:15pm On Oct 03, 2013
ozo_emeka: LoL

You know you like speaking your feelings VS FACTS.

the name "LOYOLA" is known as a jesuit school. Loyola University IN CHICAGO ranks 650 on QS WORLD rankings and Quinlan Business school is NOT ranked. HERE ARE THE LINKS FOR REFERENCES (AGAIN, something you don't seem to be able to do)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/loyola-university-chicago-1710

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyola_University_Chicago#Rankings_and_demographics

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/loyola-university-chicago/

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/undergraduate_mba_profiles/loyolachi.html

http://www.topuniversities.com/node/2832/ranking-details/world-university-rankings/2013

The ONLY "prestigious" ranking your school has is it is ONE OF the largest 28 Jesuit universities.

I am a citizen. Born in Cali. Sorry to burst your bubble. I work directly with EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP. I attend an Ivy. I know it sucks for you that you can't use the "loyola" name to brag. If you went to Loyola University in MARYLAND or even the one in New Orleans, THEN you could even SPEW the "Loyola name"

I have my ID card, It's very easy to SCAN it and show as proof, but are you even worth that. If you shoot me an email I can show you my STUDENT ID CARD, AT MY IVY. You're really salty I see.. LMAO it's cool, you're allowed to feel bad about yourself.

Unlike you, when I STATE a FACT, I FOLLOW UP with PROOF, REFERENCES and EVIDENCE. I don't "just talk out of my feelings"

I google? LMAO, I am SURE you have "google" as well... Can you USE it I mean, since I have google and you do as well, why can't you COME UP WITH FACTS? I am not making anyone think I know better - I KNOW BETTER.

You can't spell , you are NOT ahead of me in any way. I can almost bet on it. Of course, there are people who are way advanced, to those who are actually AHEAD in life, I give them due respect and LEARN from them. You? I don't think so.

LMAO You can sponsor me in college? LOL sure thing, here is a list of my tuition http://www.finaid.cornell.edu/cost-attend

You don't see the lackluster skills of "Loyola Chicago" ?? Evaluate yourself, you can't even spell. What does that say about your degree?

You have a LOT OF TALK, nothing to back it up. Shut up and enjoy your 5th tier MBA

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 12:01am On Oct 04, 2013
i just wonder how some ppl think. Here is an excellent post, geared towards helping ppl make informed decisions, but some few ppl who so much believe everytin dey c on tv and r dying to go to america (without a single fact in their hands wot they should expect) and who r ready 2kill 2do so just cant deferentiat between facts and figures (realities) and blind guesses (dreams). Pls ppl, try to get de essence of wot this post is aiming at, den u'l be able to comment effectively

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by fittty(m): 12:10am On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: At least you argue like a literate.

saying I am "indirectly" doing anything is you making ASSUMPTIONS. And you know what they say about assumptions?

Any SANE objective reasonable person will LOOK at this thread and decipher what needs to be deciphered. This thread is not geared to "hopeless naija boyz/illiterates"

It is geared to those who can REASON and are OBJECTIVELY considering moving to America. It HIGHLIGHTS some of the harsh realities of America and allows the reader to make an HONEST, and INFORMED opinion about moving to America. There are "opportunities" in New Zealand, Canada, Switzerland (the best economy in the world, HQ of World Bank etc) Sweden, France, etc.

It may NOT be a "healthy" option to DIRECTLY move to America (if "making it" is HONESTLY the reason for wanting to move), perhaps "making it" in less harsher countries might EASE the transition to America.

A lot of people want to move to america JUST TO SAY they are in AMERICA - we all see those who claim they have MBAs from schools ranked 650th. Are OAU and Lagos Business school not better than that?

Now tell me why is everyone against you having at least a point comparing both countries?

What you don't simple get is this. A Nigerian with the intention of migrating will read your thread and get the message you are passing across, He/She will then look at where he/she is coming from(Nigeria) then look at where he/she is heading to(USA) then weighs both and make a decision. Now tell me what does this boil down to? Nothing but COMPARISON. You are passing across a message to them and at the same time comparing both countries.

Your thread has 2,037 views, and I'm certain most travel section readers have read this thread. Now go check these threads below and see people (who have probably read your thread) still making enquiries and sharing testimonies:

https://www.nairaland.com/1229483/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part4/377#18556190

https://www.nairaland.com/927190/dv-2013-winners-meet-here/855#18519648

https://www.nairaland.com/1359935/u.s-consular-officer-ask-me/42#18532657

https://www.nairaland.com/1275397/dv-2014-winners-meet-here/91#18550972

https://www.nairaland.com/1058937/diversity-visa-immigrant-welcome-america/72#18511553

https://www.nairaland.com/1275426/usa-students-lounge-no-visa/33#18424771

https://www.nairaland.com/608780/usa-visit-visa/89#18479709

https://www.nairaland.com/617280/give-birth-usa-cost-procedure/29#18

4 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 12:17am On Oct 04, 2013
fittty:
pls point of correction, there's nothing to show tht an average nigerian wud always want to jump into de next availabl train to US. just like a lotta nigerians wud wanna take tht leap of faith, there're loads who wudnt wanna risk it. So pls dont pass a sweeping statement tht an average nigerian wud wanna jump to america. Not all wud

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 12:38am On Oct 04, 2013
god_of_music: Ok, it will be moved to the frontpage. Just wait
Lol....I realized just after after posting that you are not a moderator! ....the moderators are Did Guy and Justwise! ..you got me!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by lymelyte(m): 12:52am On Oct 04, 2013
alala dakosta:

bobo, average 9ja will survive anything, any weather conditn plus naturaly we are all born hustler, if a lady like me can make it here,i believe u can do better cus i have kids i have to spend time with.see the thing iz no be say its that easy here too, but comparing here to nigeria na wetting i no go gree. so fr u can work. and u finish secondary school u can better ur life by upgrading ur self. if na CNA u go do first work with, then later u go gor LPN or RN. see its depends on person wey u stay with jare.let me stop i no want make some people decode who i be.
Who u be madam?please I want to know grin
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 1:10am On Oct 04, 2013
fittty:

Let me try this again.....is the topic comparing the US to Nigeria?...yes/no? If no, you should withdraw this your comment which shows that you do not understand the thread. If yes...it is the topic....then I can only suggest that you open the windows of your mind. You can take the horse to the water but you can't make him drink it.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ojdollars(m): 1:27am On Oct 04, 2013
@Ozo_Emeka

God Richly Bless You For This Information You took your time to put out here.

@ALL Nairalanders.... You know me by now... I will tell you whole heartedly. What this Nairalander is saying is nothing but the real truth. All He has said is, make a well informed decision before leaving Nigeria for America.

This Media is full of Falsehood. This guy has said nothing but truth. No doubt, America has Money, is the most wealthy nation in the world. But the Money goes round the Elite, The Corporations. Being black is a sin here.. I live in Texas so I know what I am saying.

The Treasures in America is in a Glass Container, at the sides of it, there is no entrance built for the ordinary man to get in. But on the top, lies the entrance. The only way to get in through the top, is only by the Anointing of God functioning in your life. If by personal wisdom, struggle, strength, hard work, then you will fail like others and be a part of statistic.

Living in God's Grace and Presence at all time, is the only Guarantee for Success in America or any other Nation. Look inward, is more easier to Make Money in Nigeria to America. You make $3000usd a month, like $1800 - 2500 Can go for different bills sometimes. I will post survival tactics and ways to live above the struggle in America or any other nation in another Thread very this weekend by God's grace.

@Ozo_Emeka, please I would like to get in touch with you, how is that possible? At least we can talk sometimes when you free. I can send you my num and email. Blessings

6 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:01am On Oct 04, 2013
9icegee: i just wonder how some ppl think. Here is an excellent post, geared towards helping ppl make informed decisions, but some few ppl who so much believe everytin dey c on tv and r dying to go to america (without a single fact in their hands wot they should expect) and who r ready 2kill 2do so just cant deferentiat between facts and figures (realities) and blind guesses (dreams). Pls ppl, t[size=16pt]ry to get de essence of wot this post is aiming at,[/size] den u'l be able to comment effectively

Nigerians LOVE being sold dreams from what I am learning here. Now I see why Shell is MILKING the LIFE out of Nigeria. I think the whole poverty thing is ingrained in their beings, facts don't move them. STORIES do.

@Lucas have you read the constitution? I have, PAGE TO PAGE to the last cover. You should so you KNOW some facts.

" Education is favorable to liberty, freedom can only exist in a society of intelligent individuals, without learning men are unable to know their rights, liberty can neither be equal or universal in a society where intelligence is only left to a few" - Benjamin Rush 1786

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:05am On Oct 04, 2013
Moderators I am so curious to see what the "hidden posts" actually were.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 4:35am On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: I answered your question.

From what I know Blacks see "AFRICANS" (including their "pidgin english" ) in a condescending way. Regardless of what part of "africa" you are from.

Liar!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 4:45am On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
Liar!
Read again..."From what I know"...key words. He is giving his opinion...how can that make him a liar? Is he not entitled to his opinion? This is a discussion forum...if you disagree with him then let's hear yours instead of popping out of the woodwork ...screaming liar and disappearing under a rock.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 4:47am On Oct 04, 2013
I was just reading through and I noticed some things. The fact that Ozo-Emeka is so quick to defend himself and calling people names is appalling! Like why would you scan your school ID? undecided E reach that level? Stop trying too hard bro.
Yorubas say: you might see something from the anterior why somebody else sees it from the exterior. Accepted some people don't have it rosy here in America, while some people have it really good. And trust me, I've seen people have it really good here without being shady.
So you're meaning to tell me that every immigrant here will have it tough and wanna move back home at the end of the day? Olohun maje!!
If you come here with tall dreams and you're not ready to do the hard-work that goes with it, then expect to have it bad. If you can persevere, you're good.
And about Americans looking down at Africans....well that's your own opinion. nobody can make me look bad over my own identity. I deliberately speak my pidgin loud and everywhere I go. People ask me to speak it to them. And trust me, i ain't lying. People tell me they like my accent countless of times. If you refuse to be ashamed of yourself, nobody can make you feel bad. I rock my African attires from time to time. I'm proud of my "Africanness". Even if you feel I'm inferior to you, you good. So far you don't talk it to my hearing. If I hear!!!! E Don be for you.
Moral of the story......America is whatever you want it to be for yourself....either good or bad

17 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 4:50am On Oct 04, 2013
Originalsly: Read again..."From what I know"...key words. He is giving his opinion...how can that make him a liar? Is he not entitled to his opinion? This is a discussion forum...if you disagree with him then let's hear yours instead of popping out of the woodwork ...screaming liar and disappearing under a rock.
Was I quoting you? Mr Defender. grin Abeg oo, its late in the night. I no get time for Iregbe.
So, Ko rora losun jeje undecided

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Originalsly: 5:25am On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
Was I quoting you? Mr Defender. grin Abeg oo, its late in the night. I no get time for Iregbe.
So, Ko rora losun jeje undecided
Was his response directed to you? No...but you quoted him...and went on to answer a question that was not directed to you. So why be upset with me for the very thing you are doing? FYI....this is a public forum and anyone is free to quote and comment on any posting...just like you did. Let's keep it moving.

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by MsNas(f): 5:56am On Oct 04, 2013
Originalsly: Was his response directed to you? No...but you quoted him...and went on to answer a question that was not directed to you. So why be upset with me for the very thing you are doing? FYI....this is a public forum and anyone is free to quote and comment on any posting...just like you did. Let's keep it moving.
Just take it easy and let the guy talk for himself. No need bursting an artery defending someone you dunno. Let him come speak for himself, buster tongue
Addition: he's the owner of this thread, and he said things that I don't agree with. I can't see anywhere where I quoted you. Gba ran mi d'eleru undecided

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ojdollars(m): 6:52am On Oct 04, 2013
Ms Nas:
Just take it easy and let the guy talk for himself. No need bursting an artery defending someone you dunno. Let him come speak for himself, buster tongue
Addition: he's the owner of this thread, and he said things that I don't agree with. I can't see anywhere where I quoted you. Gba ran mi d'eleru undecided

@Ms Nas, why the argument and fighting over somebody's post that is intended to inform His own brothers back home that was borne out of love for his country men? By the way, what State do you reside in Ms Nas?

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Pasca07: 7:21am On Oct 04, 2013
Ms-nas and fitty i really commended your contribution,expecially fitty he knows where dis emeka abi na obina be d name is really driving at.Like i said earlier come to naija and see how graduates are husstling in the street of lagos and compare it with USA infact u will not even go further with all dis baseless observation.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 7:36am On Oct 04, 2013
Oh really?

"Africans" are not viewed in a condescending manner? "Africans" are not asked silly questions like do they have clean water? Did you attend colege in the US, ask those who do and ask them if their "accent" is/is not a problem.

The discourse is often that Africans are more snobbish towards blacks vice versa

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/why-do-black-americans-look-down-on-black-africans.452608742/

Ms Nas:
Liar!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 7:37am On Oct 04, 2013
Oh really?

"Africans" are not viewed in a condescending manner? "Africans" are not asked silly questions like do they have clean water? Did you attend colege in the US, ask those who do and ask them if their "accent" is/is not a problem.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101021121012AA5hY3l

Ms Nas:
Liar!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 7:43am On Oct 04, 2013
Again, you SAW what you wanted to SEE
Did you READ through or did you just STOP at one line

Did you READ the part where I said "I could scan my id but are you worth it?" (MEANING I WILL NOT GO TO THAT LENGTH TO PROVE TO A LOYOLA C GRAD THAT I AM AN IVY)

DID YOU READ THAT PART? OR IS YOUR BRAIN JUST TOO CLOGGED UP TO SEE?

Did you also read the part where the ret@rd said he can sponsor my education....you know what why do i even bother. If you are too dumb witted to see, you won't .

I AM NOT MEANING TO TELL YOU SHIIT! BLOCK HEAD! READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD! DAMN NIGERIANS AND ILLITERACY!

WHETHER YOU DECIDE NOT TO TAKE HOW PEOPLE PERCEIVE YOU PERSONALLY IS A PERSONAL DECISION THAT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT AFRICAN-AMERICANS, WHITES ETC CONSIDER (IGNORANTLY) THAT AFRICANS COME FROM EXTREME DISADVANTAGED CONDITIONS!

It's like saying because I don't let racist comments get to me THEREFORE racism does not exist, is that not a FOOLISH claim? Stop projecting your "PERSONAL views" as reality! That is the issue here, separate FACTS from your OPINIONS

IF I CALL A SQUARE A CIRCLE, DOES THAT MAGICALLY MAKE THE SQUARE A CIRCLE? ?? ?
SMH...PLEASE USE YOUR HEAD NOT YOUR HEART NEXT TIME.
Ms Nas: I was just reading through and I noticed some things. The fact that Ozo-Emeka is so quick to defend himself and calling people names is appalling! Like why would you scan your school ID? undecided E reach that level? Stop trying too hard bro.
Yorubas say: you might see something from the anterior why somebody else sees it from the exterior. Accepted some people don't have it rosy here in America, while some people have it really good. And trust me, I've seen people have it really good here without being shady.
So you're meaning to tell me that every immigrant here will have it tough and wanna move back home at the end of the day? Olohun maje!!
If you come here with tall dreams and you're not ready to do the hard-work that goes with it, then expect to have it bad. If you can persevere, you're good.
And about Americans looking down at Africans....well that's your own opinion. nobody can make me look bad over my own identity. I deliberately speak my pidgin loud and everywhere I go. People ask me to speak it to them. And trust me, i ain't lying. People tell me they like my accent countless of times. If you refuse to be ashamed of yourself, nobody can make you feel bad. I rock my African attires from time to time. I'm proud of my "Africanness". Even if you feel I'm inferior to you, you good. So far you don't talk it to my hearing. If I hear!!!! E Don be for you.
Moral of the story......America is whatever you want it to be for yourself....either good or bad

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 7:46am On Oct 04, 2013
A LOT OF NIGERIANS LACK LOGICAL REASONING, NO NEED TRYING TO MAKE HER SEE THINGS FROM AN ANALYTIC POINT OF VIEW you are wasting your time and if she lacks the cognitive ability to she NEVER will. The thread will "MAKE SENSE" to those who CAN SEE , the rest, no need . Lost hopes.

YOU KNOW WHAT NIGERIANS WOULD LOVVVEEEEEE

IF I MADE A THREAD "TEACHING/SHOWING" THEM HOW TO BE LIKE AMERICANS AND POSSIBLY FILL IT UP WITH ALL THE LUXURIOUS HOTELS (CLEARLY DISREGARDING THAT THERE ARE LIKEWISE LUSCIOUS HOTELS IN NIGERIA)

I SEE WHY COMMON SOUTH AFRICA MAKES A HUGE PROFIT FROM NIGERIA. Inability to reason for themselves.

Originalsly: Was his response directed to you? No...but you quoted him...and went on to answer a question that was not directed to you. So why be upset with me for the very thing you are doing? FYI....this is a public forum and anyone is free to quote and comment on any posting...just like you did. Let's keep it moving.

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 8:15am On Oct 04, 2013
ozo_emeka: Again, you SAW what you wanted to SEE
Did you READ through or did you just STOP at one line

Did you READ the part where I said "I could scan my id but are you worth it?" (MEANING I WILL NOT GO TO THAT LENGTH TO PROVE TO A LOYOLA C GRAD THAT I AM AN IVY)

DID YOU READ THAT PART? OR IS YOUR BRAIN JUST TOO CLOGGED UP TO SEE?

Did you also read the part where the ret@rd said he can sponsor my education....you know what why do i even bother. If you are too dumb witted to see, you won't .

I AM NOT MEANING TO TELL YOU SHIIT! BLOCK HEAD! READ THE TITLE OF THE THREAD! DAMN NIGERIANS AND ILLITERACY!

WHETHER YOU DECIDE NOT TO TAKE HOW PEOPLE PERCEIVE YOU PERSONALLY IS A PERSONAL DECISION THAT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT AFRICAN-AMERICANS, WHITES ETC CONSIDER (IGNORANTLY) THAT AFRICANS COME FROM EXTREME DISADVANTAGED CONDITIONS!

It's like saying because I don't let racist comments get to me THEREFORE racism does not exist, is that not a FOOLISH claim? Stop projecting your "PERSONAL views" as reality! That is the issue here, separate FACTS from your OPINIONS

IF I CALL A SQUARE A CIRCLE, DOES THAT MAGICALLY MAKE THE SQUARE A CIRCLE? ?? ?
SMH...PLEASE USE YOUR HEAD NOT YOUR HEART NEXT TIME.
@OP hey man chill ok? Immediatly i read tht post i tot exactly ur tots, tht if some1 doesnt allow racist comments get to him tht doesnt mean racism doesnt exist. But i wud'v passed de msg down in a more dignified way. I dont like de way u passed down urs (DAMM NIGERIANS WITH THEIR ILLITERACY is surely not it. Dont make sweeping comments like these pls). U're allowing dem get at u. U dont have to reply 2everytin every 'tom-dik-and-harry' says so pls relax and make no more sweeping, general comment at nigerians (which will include me) simply because some ppl just cant grap wot u say, cos no matter how much u rant and rave, they stil wont get it. So once more, CHILL. ok?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.