Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131673 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
The artistes are ridiculous and that's how I can class them. The WANNABES are low class, Iyaya joined them with the "i've GUHT" (trying to say "got" with a british accent) it..

No you are nigerian, born and raised. A 2 day trip to London doesn't make you a LONDONER.

fizokey: This thread is a real eye opener and has changed my perspective about the U.S. This is where you get to read about the REAL AMERICA.

Secondly: I think Nigerians especially the music artistes all suffer from "Cultural Cringe" or a cultural inferiority complex. I always feel ashamed seeing them on TV sagging trousers, forming fake american accents...smh

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ugosample: What i know about the US? It is a unique country, the most diverse country (in New york city, newspapers are published in more than 400 languages) they draw strength from their diversity, attracted the best minds from the world over from Albert Einstein to Steve Jobs e.t.c. Admits their society is not perfect but indoctrinates their people from childhood that the USA is the best country on earth and they strive to live up to their name. One of the few countries where the Child of an immigrant is the president(kenya), governor of Lnuisiana(india) former governor of california (Austria) speaker of the house of representatives (Poland) and the list is long. Looking at the entertaiment industry, some of the biggest stars are foreign born eg Rihanna (Barbados) Minaj(Trinidad) Akon (US born of Senegalese descent) Drake (Canada) Wale (US born of Nigerian descent) the world wants to be like them. The Chinese, Japanese, African youths want to identify with the culture (which is a bit hollow anyway) and if i go on, space will fail me. That is why America remains the number one destination for Immigrants. Do you get it?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 8:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
You are MAKING ASSUMPTIONS. America is NOT the most diverse country, nor is it specifically 'UNIQUE"

Let's get your "facts" straight.

The most diverse country in the world is UGANDA, followed by Liberia, way down the line you find America. How many blacks do you think are in America?

As of 2012 ONLY 13.1% of the entire US population was black.

Again you watch TOO MUCH TV. America is NOT AS DIVERSE AS YOU THINK.

Here is a paper from HArvard supporting these FACTS

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=319762

And the Washington Post Article about it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/16/a-revealing-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-ethnically-diverse-countries/

here is also the link to the United States Census Bureau.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/00000.html

Again the point of this thread is to WASH OUT the TV in you and get you to see the FACTS

That's like saying the most beautiful place in Nigeria is Enugu because ALL THE MOVIES I watch with big houses and cars are all made in Enugu

2 We like to think that the United States is unique among nations in the way it attracts and integrates immigrant. But in our increasingly globalized and prosperous world, the data suggests America is just average. That may have been true a century ago, when Ellis Island welcomed the world’s huddled masses. But it’s not true today. Large-scale immigration is a worldwide phenomenon tied to contemporary globalization. Porous borders and rising education levels have allowed tens of millions of people in developing societies to become more mobile, and new communications and transportation technologies give everyone access to information about other countries and ways to get there. Perhaps most important, rising global demand has created vast new opportunities for foreign labor – whether it’s to bolster shrinking labor pools across much of Europe, provide services in thinly-populated, oil-rich countries in the Middle East, or cater to wealthy global elites in dozens of tax havens.

In fact, when it comes to foreign-born residents, America looks fairly average.

Consider the percentages of foreign-born residents living today in various nations: America, with just under 13 percent of its population foreign-born, according to U.N. data, ranks 40th in the world for immigrants as a share of the population. By contrast, across the 10 most immigrant-intensive countries, foreign-born people account for between 77 percent and 42 percent of their total populations.

Austria, Ireland, New Zealand and Norway also lead the United States in immigrants as a share of their populations, as do the smaller and less-advanced nations of Estonia, Latvia, Belize, Ukraine, Croatia, and Cyprus. (World Population Policies, Page 81
By United Nations. Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs. Population Division
)

Of the remaining seven nations, four are in the Middle-East – Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Bahrain – where tens of thousands of foreign workers are needed to help meet global demand for oil and provide services for native populations who have grown wealthy off of their oil. The other three countries in the top 10 are global tax havens and financial centers – Andorra, Monaco, and Singapore -- that draw thousands of global elites followed by foreign workers to provide their services.

The next 10 most immigrant-heavy countries, where foreign-born persons comprise between 42 percent and 22 percent of their populations, include five more tax havens (Nauru in Micronesia, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, San Marino, and Switzerland) and three more oil rich countries (Saudi Arabia, Oman, and Brunei). The two others in this group are the special cases of Israel, where Jewish national identity is the draw, and Jordan, home to hundreds of thousands of people displaced by the Iraqi and Israel-Arab conflicts.

Beyond the top 20 countries for foreign-born residents, numerous other nations that more closely resemble the United States, in economic opportunities and social benefits, also draw immigrants in greater relative numbers than America. For example, some 19 percent to 20 percent of the populations of Australia and Canada are foreign-born, compared to our 13 percent. Austria, Ireland, New Zealand and Norway also lead the United States in immigrants as a share of their populations, as do the smaller and less-advanced nations of Estonia, Latvia, Belize, Ukraine, Croatia, and Cyprus. A similar pattern emerges from OECD data covering 25 industrialized countries from 2001 to 2010. Over that decade, the share of the American population born somewhere else has averaged 12.1 percent. By this measure, the United States trails not only such countries as Australia, Austria, Canada, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Israel, as noted above, but also Sweden, Germany, and Belgium.

Again, you are making your assumptions BASED ON TV.

Ps: Did Wale also tell you he was BORN AND RAISED in DC. Which according to the US census makes him a "CITIZEN" not an immigrant.
Did Akon tell you he was BORN in St.Louis Missouri? (WHICH MAKES HIM A CITIZEN)
Did Nnamdi Asomugha who plays AMERICAN football, tell you he was BORN and RAISED in America?
Did you also know that places like Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are PART of the UNITED STATES? I.e Their government IS the United States?

Again stop falling for TV and the LIES you watch. These people did not just "migrate" and make it.

Ugosample: What i know about the US? It is a unique country, the most diverse country (in New york city, newspapers are published in more than 400 languages) they draw strength from their diversity, attracted the best minds from the world over from Albert Einstein to Steve Jobs e.t.c. Admits their society is not perfect but indoctrinates their people from childhood that the USA is the best country on earth and they strive to live up to their name. One of the few countries where the Child of an immigrant is the president(kenya), governor of Lnuisiana(india) former governor of california (Austria) speaker of the house of representatives (Poland) and the list is long. Looking at the entertaiment industry, some of the biggest stars are foreign born eg Rihanna (Barbados) Minaj(Trinidad) Akon (US born of Senegalese descent) Drake (Canada) Wale (US born of Nigerian descent) the world wants to be like them. The Chinese, Japanese, African youths want to identify with the culture (which is a bit hollow anyway) and if i go on, space will fail me. That is why America remains the number one destination for Immigrants. Do you get it?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 30, 2013
OP, did u say you are just 21? shocked. You write way more mature than your age. Love your presentation and well articulated facts. Weldone!

30 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
Thank you. yes I am. December baby!

Phema: OP, did u say you are just 21? shocked. You write way more mature than your age. Love your presentation and well articulated facts. Weldone!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
Did you know that the "GREAT" United States of America is SHUTTING DOWN ITS Government tomorrow? Aka Oct 1st?

While Nigeria celebrates independence. America will be shutting down its economy.

Read more about it here

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/30/test-2/?hpt=hp_t1
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by philfearon(m): 10:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
@MODS,you will not be forgiven if this Thread doesnt make it to Frontpage....
For crying out Loud,many Nigerians need to see this Thread and be enlightened!!
@OP,God bless you bro..Keep it flowing...
Let he who has ear hear....

4 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by fizokey(m): 11:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
@ Ozo Emeka, Nothing fascinates me more than detailed facts and figures.
At 21 I have no doubt that by the time you get to my age (30) you'll become a walking Encyclopedia! Keep it up nwa nna!

10 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 11:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
I like your intellegent response to my write up but i guess you should understand me. Dont judge me by saying i watch tv a lnt cause you dont know me. Maybe i should have said the most racially diverse country. About Wale and Akon, didn't you read what i wrote in the bracket beside their names? If i may ask, which other country has the child of an immigrant as head of state? You asked what i know about America and i told you. Besides, aren' t they still attracting the best brains from the world over? D truth is that the USA is a great country but still has its ciallenges as 1 in 7 americans are considered poor, subtle racism, e.t.c. That's d point i'm bringing out [quote author=ozo_emeka]You are MAKING ASSUMPTIONS. America is NOT the
As of 2012 ONLY 13.1% of the entire US population was black.
Again you watch TOO MUCH TV. America is NOT AS DIVERSE AS YOU THINK.
Again the oint of this thread is to WASH OUT the TV in you and get you to see the FACT
That's like saying the most beautiful place in Nigeria is Enugu because ALL THE MOVIES I watch with big houses and cars are all made in Enugu
2 We like to think that the United States is unique among nations in the way it attracts and integrates immigrant. But in our increasingly globalized and prosperous world, the data suggests America is just average. That may have been true a century ago, when Ellis Island welcomed the world’s huddled masses. But it’s not true today. Large-scale immigration is a worldwide phenomenon tied to contemporary globalization. Porous borders and rising education levels have allowed tens of millions of people in developing societies to become more mobile, and new communications and transportation technologies give everyone access to information about other countries and ways to get there. Perhaps most important, rising global demand has created vast new opportunities for foreign labor – whether it’s to bolster shrinking labor pools across much of Europe, provide services in thinly-populated, oil-rich countries in the Middle East, or cater to wealthy global elites in dozens of tax havens.

In fact, when it comes to foreign-born residents, America looks fairly average.

Consider the percentages of foreign-born residents living today in various nations: America, with just under 13 percent of its population foreign-born, according to U.N. data, ranks 40th in the world for immigrants as a share of the population. By contrast, across the 10 most immigrant-intensive countries, foreign-born people account for between 77 percent and 42 percent of their total populations.

Austria, Ireland, New Zealand and Norway also lead the United States in immigrants as a share of their populations, as do the smaller and less-advanced nations of Estonia, Latvia, Belize, Ukraine, Croatia, and Cyprus. (World Population Policies, Page 81
By United Nations. Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs. Population Division
)

Of the remaining seven nations, four are in the Middle-East – Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, and Bahrain – where tens of thousands of foreign workers are needed to help meet global demand for oil and provide services for native populations who have grown wealthy off of their oil. The other three countries in the top 10 are global tax havens and financial centers – Andorra, Monaco, and Singapore -- that draw thousands of global elites followed by foreign workers to provide their services.

The next 10 most immigrant-heavy countries, where foreign-born persons comprise between 42 percent and 22 percent of their populations, include five more tax havens (Nauru in Micronesia, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, San Marino, and Switzerland) and three more oil rich countries (Saudi Arabia, Oman, and Brunei). The two others in this group are the special cases of Israel, where Jewish national identity is the draw, and Jordan, home to hundreds of thousands of people displaced by the Iraqi and Israel-Arab conflicts.

Beyond the top 20 countries for foreign-born residents, numerous other nations that more closely resemble the United States, in economic opportunities and social benefits, also draw immigrants in greater relative numbers than America. For example, some 19 percent to 20 percent of the populations of Australia and Canada are foreign-born, compared to our 13 percent. Austria, Ireland, New Zealand and Norway also lead the United States in immigrants as a share of their populations, as do the smaller and less-advanced nations of Estonia, Latvia, Belize, Ukraine, Croatia, and Cyprus. A similar pattern emerges from OECD data covering 25 industrialized countries from 2001 to 2010. Over that decade, the share of the American population born somewhere else has averaged 12.1 percent. By this measure, the United States trails not only such countries as Australia, Austria, Canada, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Israel, as noted above, but also Sweden, Germany, and Belgium.

Again, you are ma
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 12:14am On Oct 01, 2013
@ozo_emeka Don't assume that i'm not intellegent or base my assumptions on t.v. I know a lot of facts about the world too so don't assume. First prosperity in the USA is not evenly distributed as the Eastern sea board is the most prosperous and the southern states (louisiana, mississipi Arkansas e.t.c) with the exception of Texas and maybe Florida and Georgia. Did you also know that more than 50 percent of the black population live in the southern states? Did you also know that most North Dakota residents are of German descent ? Did you know that New york city has the higest number of Jews in a geographical region outside Israel? Did you know that most Asian immigrants settle in the pacific rim?Did you also know that the USA owes China $1.4 trillion dollars in bonds and other securities and not $15 trillion as many claim? Did you also know that Japan is next in line as the second biggest creditor to the USA with a cumulative amount of over $1 trillion? Do you also know that NAFTA (You should know what that means) is one of the biggest undoings of the USA as trade deficits began to climb after the agreement was signed with Mexico and Canada? Do you also know that the USA have 11 aircraft carriers while Russia has 1 and France 1 with the rest of the world having none? Did ynu know California's economy is bigger than the whole of West Africa's economy put together? Do you know that Los Angeles is the only city in the USA that has no clear majority as no ethnic group (race) has up to 50 percent? If i continue, space would fail me. Is this what i watched on t.v.? I'm not offended, i'm just saying.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 1:52am On Oct 01, 2013
Thank you, Daluu sir.
fizokey: @ Ozo Emeka, Nothing fascinates me more than detailed facts and figures.
At 21 I have no doubt that by the time you get to my age (30) you'll become a walking Encyclopedia! Keep it up nwa nna!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:01am On Oct 01, 2013
Ugosample: I like your intellegent response to my write up but i guess you should understand me. Dont judge me by saying i watch tv a lnt cause you dont know me. Maybe i should have said the most racially diverse country. About Wale and Akon, didn't you read what i wrote in the bracket beside their names? If i may ask, which other country has the child of an immigrant as head of state? You asked what i know about America and i told you. Besides, aren' t they still attracting the best brains from the world over? D truth is that the USA is a great country but still has its ciallenges as 1 in 7 americans are considered poor, subtle racism, e.t.c. That's d point i'm bringing out

Obama may "on paper" be the child of an immigrant. BUT

Did Obama live in Kenya?
Is OBAMA an Immigrant?
Did obama NOT grow up as a WHITE BOY?
These are facts that can NOT be ignored. When you realize that Obama only KNEW his WHITE SIDE; then it makes sense why he CAN even MAKE IT PAST the SENATE. His grandfather (white of course) had connections to Politics, his mother was PhD holder and he was "RAISED" white. He is a white boy who happens to HAVE a trace of kenyan semen in him and thus has a tainted skin. NOTHING about him is Immigrant, black etc

He was sent to HARVARD to SEAL THE DEAL. Did you attend Harvard? Did you grow up in a White household? Does your grandfather have connections to Politics in America? IS your mother a White woman? Does your mother have a PhD and is known in the entire Academia? Do youre grandparents hold weight to PUT YOU in American Politics?

These are the odds that were stacked IN HIS FAVOR. Don't ignore those facts and skip to the "good parts" that he is a "son of a Kenyan"

What has Obama done for Kenya from his days as a Senator to now? I am waiting....

10 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 2:19am On Oct 01, 2013
Ugosample: @ozo_emeka Don't assume that i'm not intellegent or base my assumptions on t.v. I know a lot of facts about the world too so don't assume. First prosperity in the USA is not evenly distributed as the Eastern sea board is the most prosperous and the southern states (louisiana, mississipi Arkansas e.t.c) with the exception of Texas and maybe Florida and Georgia. Did you also know that more than 50 percent of the black population live in the southern states? Did you also know that most North Dakota residents are of German descent ? Did you know that New york city has the higest number of Jews in a geographical region outside Israel? Did you know that most Asian immigrants settle in the pacific rim?Did you also know that the USA owes China $1.4 trillion dollars in bonds and other securities and not $15 trillion as many claim? Did you also know that Japan is next in line as the second biggest creditor to the USA with a cumulative amount of over $1 trillion? Do you also know that NAFTA (You should know what that means) is one of the biggest undoings of the USA as trade deficits began to climb after the agreement was signed with Mexico and Canada? Do you also know that the USA have 11 aircraft carriers while Russia has 1 and France 1 with the rest of the world having none? Did ynu know California's economy is bigger than the whole of West Africa's economy put together? Do you know that Los Angeles is the only city in the USA that has no clear majority as no ethnic group (race) has up to 50 percent? If i continue, space would fail me. Is this what i watched on t.v.? I'm not offended, i'm just saying.

These are obvious facts. No one is disputing you maybe intelligent and knowledgeable of facts. You may have gotten your first facts wrong or misinformed. The Black population are in the Southern States because when slave owners imported slaves, the plantations were in the South, from 1919 a lot of Blacks moved to the North for racial equality, that movement is known as the "Great Migration" which resulted in the beginning of Black segregation up north.

Being of German descent reinforces the idea that they still do not count as 13.1 minority. Which is why blacks are called MINORITY, the ratio: 71%:13.1% is an unfair balance.

IF you read the top portion you will see where I referred to ellis Island, the US opened its doors to Jews who were displaced by Hitler, Gypsies etc. ALL of them settled in NY, the Bronx and Brooklyn specifically.

Again, the US functions on GREAT PR. Einstein became an American citizen because Hitler did not like what he had to say.

US owes China, every man and his dog knows this. MADE IN CHINA is the easiest thing to find in US. Why do you think Chinese citizens may find it fairly easy to get a US visa? $1 trillion, $1 million, $1. They owe. They need to pay up, they haven't.

Seeing that you are this well informed, it should not shock you then to know that America is the Land of Excellent PR.

If Obama was "RAISED" by his kenyan father he may not make it past the Senate house. Liberia has a female president, now that's groundbreaking. EVEN with Obama and ALL THESE CREDENTIALS, the US Government plans to shut down tomorrow, October 1st, SIMPLY because the Republicans DON'T want to Pass Obama's Healthcare law (IT WILL THEN GO IN THE BOOKS THAT HE, A BLACK MAN, IMPLEMENTED HEALTHCARE POLICY, NAMED AFTER HIM AND FOREVER ALTERING HISTORY) how come it isn't as rosy as you paint it?

Again, the purpose of this thread is to ensure INFORMED decisions are made. Why watch movies and move to Enugu when I can research properly and move to Ghana?

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by whitecat007: 10:23am On Oct 01, 2013
True that
The reality in America is different from what the world is made to believe. Racism and discrimination everywhere. You are viewed with suspicion before they get to know you. One trash was telling me how we Africans are better than the African Americans, this is woman who didn't know the difference between Ghana and Guyana, and how she was raised with prejudice and have prejudice for some AA over what they do. Knowing this is the type that will go somewhere else and talk about how we eat ourselves in Africa, I quickly brought in the question had been wanted to ask about how whites view the rest of the world, I didn't quite get an answer, she just danced around it
dasparrow: @Post

OP, God bless you for this thread. You see, America had been my residence for almost 14 years. I remember when I was coming to America in the late 90s, friends in Europe warned me not to go but I stubbornly did not listen because I was carried away by what I saw on MTV and BET. When I arrived in the USA, my eye come clear. America is nothing like what she portrays herself to be. Infact, America brings out the worst in people oftentimes. You see people asking their family relatives to pay rent even though said family relative(s) is/are unemployed. You see some Nigerians calling immigration on their fellow Nigerians who have not yet sorted out their immigration palaver. You see some Nigerians spending the whole paycheck of their fellow family member who had just migrated to America and had just started working.

Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck. Debt is a huge issue. Most Americans have mortgage loans, car loans, student loans, credit card debts, infact, 'gbese' all the way. Without credit cards, most Americans cannot survive. The American society is largely a debt-driven society. They encourage you to get into debt so that you can have a credit history. Without a credit history, you can't do much in America.

The racism is something else in America as well. You walk into a store and the whites think you want to steal. Sometimes they stalk you. The average american will harass you because of your accent, your African name, and threat you like crap once they find out that you come from a 3rd world country or from Africa. In America, you have nice neighborhoods and then you have the run down, crime-ridden neighborhoods which you find mostly in the inner cities. Many neighborhoods that have mostly black people and Latino residents in them are poverty-stricken but not all of course. Many neighborhoods are racially segregated especially in New York city.

Overall, America is just there. I truly believe that there are other more tolerant advanced societies an African immigrant can live a good life in. One just has to search. However, as for me, USA just ain't it. Yes, you have constant electricity, water, fast internet access, good universities and the likes. But, the average American will always remind you that you are not part of them no matter how long you reside in the USA and that is the gospel truth. I know some Nigerians will come on this thread and start defending America like their roots lie in that country or like that lives depended on it. However, I believe in telling it as it is. Many Nigerians love lying anyway so that they can keep boosting to their relatives in Nigeria and making themselves feel relevant. The truth however must be told so that people who wish to migrate to USA can make an informed decision. Shalom!

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by whitecat007: 10:50am On Oct 01, 2013
Immigrants potentials are stunt by the anti immigrant system set up by those who came to America for good lives and then shut the gate so others don't come in
honey: gullible nigerians wont mind paying [imagind having a $1200 debt monthly, which keeps growing]........... i will always say that america is not the best place to hustle.................why do immigrants never go beyond a particular stage?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by whitecat007: 11:02am On Oct 01, 2013
What!!!!! It's either your friend thinks you are dumb or you are truly dumb. Even people fight in the white house
dustydee:
My Spanish colleague told me it is only Africans that fight in Spain. I was so angry. . . He went further to say if someone wants to fight him now he wouldn't know how to defend himself cos he does not know how to fight. That got me thinking - why do Africans settle conflicts through fight.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by whitecat007: 11:57am On Oct 01, 2013
Is Australia the best kept secret? White Americans are moving there in droves

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Gbenge77(m): 1:47pm On Oct 01, 2013
While Brits and Indians move to the US,some Americans are also moving to Australia.For Nigerians,its a case of different strokes for different folks.While some have become incredibly successful in the US,others barely eke out a living.But many of the Nigerians I know in Maryland are doing wonderfully well,having made the decision to relocate from Nigeria ,and subsequently acquiring American education.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by GHPATRIOT(m): 5:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1460660/u.s-government-officially-shutdown/3#18499290

Hmmm: it seems People have seen the sham and are becoming enlightened everyday, is this the start of the end of America?
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
ozo_emeka: 6. Culture : Nigerians in Nigeria LOVE to emulate American/western culture. They WANT to look like, act like, dress like, feel like Americans. They talk about "summer" like nigeria has "summer" . Very funny. I think of that as a "poor man's reasoning" tattoos .. Haha and don't even get me started with wannabes like wizkid who unfortunately are the EXAMPLE nigerians see as "people who travel abroad" . The dress style is a reflection of what they see on Websites, Instagram and music videos. They even go as far as LIVING their DAILY lives like they see on TV....Amazing!

[img]http://4.bp..com/-8GhCa0e5fR0/UcrA_XnoGnI/AAAAAAAAAoM/m6V4336ce5I/s1600/kay-rhoma-front-1024x1024.jpg[/img]
[img]http://3.bp..com/-3zn2nxicIOI/UFHQwiXgDoI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/TmuSftqASO8/s1600/dave+t+2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://1.bp..com/-j1SB-Mr-hro/UiQoLK6EUgI/AAAAAAAAmow/RIivEzmxG64/s1600/Untitled.png[/img]

[img]http://1.bp..com/-VCjbJWaUcv4/UGIGJXFqKwI/AAAAAAAAJqQ/CcnPkM3pyn0/s1600/MR+STEVENATOR+%23TeamNigezie.jpg[/img]

What is REALLY funny is that Americans have NO CULTURE and are always seeking to IDENTIFY with other cultures. Why do you think they spend a LOT of money buying "african" memorabilia like masks? Why do you think almost any Black person you see in the US wants to tell you he is from "the motherland" (NYorkers you know all those guys who tell you about "motherland" Africa)
Why do you think every black person wants to tell you he is from Liberia, he is "west-indian", Cherookee Indian, "mixed" etc. They lack a culture YET nigerians with a VERY rich culture want to COPY.. smh

[img]http://4.bp..com/-tmQQx0F6H_E/UcsuTlpgCFI/AAAAAAAArzM/XlbnWrCcOUc/s1600/ice.jpg[/img] Did you know that in America if you were socks with flip flops (especially Addidas/Nike) you are considered ghetto?? I'm sure ice prince did not know that and thought it was a 'cool trait". NO. ESPECIALLY in NY you don't do that. Copy copy gets you no where.

They want to be like you and you want to be like them. They call it "black history"
[img]http://www.halifaxcc.edu/halifacts/HalPix/BHM1.jpg[/img] [img]http://jimaxtell.files./2012/02/nafisa-african-dress.jpg[/img]
Their professors ENCOURAGE blacks to look that way. Yet you from the culture want to look like what blacks are begging blacks to STOP looking like.. SMH

[img]http://2.bp..com/-FZVI4_KRuWE/TigmgSlWAFI/AAAAAAAABbY/SMYrz6u9iLQ/s1600/Ogunleye008.JPG[/img]

THE REAL money makers don't do ALLL THAT.
[img]http://anastasiaruth.files./2012/11/gbenga-oyebode.jpg[/img] bet you didn't know who that was. That is Oyebode Gbenga
Now you know
you should know who that is

You learn quickly that there are two DISTINCT classes of Nigerians (with sub groups nonetheless) : The Classy people who (most likely are the successful ones) and the Razz (the auto spare parts boys, the ones "making" money, A lot of nigerian hip hop artists, broke etc)

One tip: The "classy ones" never hop off nigeria and land in America. They take YEARS planning.

7. Accent : Every Dick and Harry in Nigeria talks in SOME accent. Geesh. From toolz on Tv, to the boy who works in the shop next door, to the comedians, and the actors? All of them have an accent.
"you like it Yerr"
"Oh yer my bruv did it"
"Oi man, where you going?"
"Nahh yo, I'm chilling"
"It's hot innit"

Really so bad. Seriously? EVERY ONE has been to "london" or "out of the country" - Ghana, Togo, Malaysia included?

Come on. Why ? I watched an interview with Iyanya where he said he would like to build a house in "MeeAMi" WHAT? Stop it. You look stupid, and very desperate. Omotola has a Times award and she still talks like a NIGERIAN with her Nigerian accent and all. Don't force it.

How many "rich" (not boys that have promised money aka artistes and actors, I'm talking Dangote, Adenuga etc) people do you know "have an accent"? You see the trend?

Unfortunately all the "Naija boys" want to "sound black"
"We outcheeaa yo"
This is the result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPP3tQpp6vA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUDpMGz-EB0

Thre truth? Americans have a WIDE RANGE of accents. Just like you have the Calabar accent, Yoruba accent, Hausa accent, Igbo accent etc. Same for America. New Yorkers "TOAWK" differently than those from "Bah-ston", likewise people from "Baldimorh" talk differently from those in "Cahli" and so is it from "Tehxxaz" . So you look stupid when you are in Boston forming a Texan accent.

GOD HELP NIGERIA
LoL
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by GHPATRIOT(m): 8:19pm On Oct 01, 2013
god_of_music: LoL

@Carpenter I see y0u!^^^
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by santafe(m): 8:35pm On Oct 01, 2013
@Ozoemeka,

What a nice analysis and brilliant mind you have got, but dont forget that some of these guys become homeless cos of one addiction or other, its their personal choice. I have seen a lot of them but here in Western Canada, nobody sleeps on the street though. there is no ghetto and government run a well established homeless shelter where you are well fed and taken care of, that aside, there is enabling environment for an hardworking chap to make it more in the western world than in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by GHPATRIOT(m): 9:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
KKK rally in Pennsylvania becomes
casualty of government shutdown

GH PATRIOT:
A Ku Klux Klan rally became a casualty of the U.S. government shutdown on Tuesday when National Parks officials told the white supremacist group the event would have to be canceled.
The KKK had been granted a permit for
what it dubbed a First Amendment
demonstration on Saturday at
Gettysburg National Military Park, but
park officials said it could not take place because all National Parks have been closed.
"Because of the federal government
shutdown, Gettysburg National Military
Park has rescinded all permits for special events, including the October 5 First Amendment demonstration," the park said in a statement.
Park officials had previously defended
the decision to allow the KKK event,
saying the group was entitled to the free speech protections afforded by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
"As custodians of land owned by the
American people, the National Park
Service has a responsibility to make the
land available for exercising those
rights," a statement from the parks said.
The KKK has long been associated with
hooded, white-robed night riders who
menaced blacks with cross burnings,
lynchings and other acts of violence.
The U.S. government shut down at
midnight when Congress was unable to
pass a budget for the new fiscal year
because of a standoff between President Barack Obama and congressional Republicans over healthcare reform. The
shutdown has furloughed hundreds of
thousands of federal workers and closed government facilities across the nation.
(Reporting by Dave Warner; Editing by
Scott Malone and Andre Grenon)

resd more »»»
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 10:13pm On Oct 01, 2013
I'm curious since I am in the DMV.

"Successful" did you visit them?

Gbenge 77: While Brits and Indians move to the US,some Americans are also moving to Australia.For Nigerians,its a case of different strokes for different folks.While some have become incredibly successful in the US,others barely eke out a living.But many of the Nigerians I know in Maryland are doing wonderfully well,having made the decision to relocate from Nigeria ,and subsequently acquiring American education.
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 10:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
ozo_emeka:

BEST ADVICE EVER.

IT does not GET BETTER abroad, a liar that was made a pope is just a LYING pope. I never even mentioned the weather. I bet if a Nigerian witnesses an earthquake they would run back to Nigeria.
lol u made me laugh there. Thumps up anyway!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
GH PATRIOT:

@Carpenter I see y0u!^^^
Whaat?!!!! How did ........ Shhhhhhh!!
Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 01, 2013
god_of_music: LoL

And you had to quote all that just to "Lol"? Permit me to say that you are silly.

8 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by 9icegee: 10:58pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ugosample: @ozo_emeka Don't assume that i'm not intellegent or base my assumptions on t.v. I know a lot of facts about the world too so don't assume. First prosperity in the USA is not evenly distributed as the Eastern sea board is the most prosperous and the southern states (louisiana, mississipi Arkansas e.t.c) with the exception of Texas and maybe Florida and Georgia. Did you also know that more than 50 percent of the black population live in the southern states? Did you also know that most North Dakota residents are of German descent ? Did you know that New york city has the higest number of Jews in a geographical region outside Israel? Did you know that most Asian immigrants settle in the pacific rim?Did you also know that the USA owes China $1.4 trillion dollars in bonds and other securities and not $15 trillion as many claim? Did you also know that Japan is next in line as the second biggest creditor to the USA with a cumulative amount of over $1 trillion? Do you also know that NAFTA (You should know what that means) is one of the biggest undoings of the USA as trade deficits began to climb after the agreement was signed with Mexico and Canada? Do you also know that the USA have 11 aircraft carriers while Russia has 1 and France 1 with the rest of the world having none? Did ynu know California's economy is bigger than the whole of West Africa's economy put together? Do you know that Los Angeles is the only city in the USA that has no clear majority as no ethnic group (race) has up to 50 percent? If i continue, space would fail me. Is this what i watched on t.v.? I'm not offended, i'm just saying.
lol u made me laugh. All these 'facts' can be gotten online. U almost proof wot u were actually trying to disproof, tht u watch too mAny tV (add internet)

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Lucasbalo(m): 6:27am On Oct 02, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

OP, God bless you for this thread. You see, America had been my residence for almost 14 years. I remember when I was coming to America in the late 90s, friends in Europe warned me not to go but I stubbornly did not listen because I was carried away by what I saw on MTV and BET. When I arrived in the USA, my eye come clear. America is nothing like what she portrays herself to be. Infact, America brings out the worst in people oftentimes. You see people asking their family relatives to pay rent even though said family relative(s) is/are unemployed. You see some Nigerians calling immigration on their fellow Nigerians who have not yet sorted out their immigration palaver. You see some Nigerians spending the whole paycheck of their fellow family member who had just migrated to America and had just started working.

Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck. Debt is a huge issue. Most Americans have mortgage loans, car loans, student loans, credit card debts, infact, 'gbese' all the way. Without credit cards, most Americans cannot survive. The American society is largely a debt-driven society. They encourage you to get into debt so that you can have a credit history. Without a credit history, you can't do much in America.

The racism is something else in America as well. You walk into a store and the whites think you want to steal. Sometimes they stalk you. The average american will harass you because of your accent, your African name, and threat you like crap once they find out that you come from a 3rd world country or from Africa. In America, you have nice neighborhoods and then you have the run down, crime-ridden neighborhoods which you find mostly in the inner cities. Many neighborhoods that have mostly black people and Latino residents in them are poverty-stricken but not all of course. Many neighborhoods are racially segregated especially in New York city.

Overall, America is just there. I truly believe that there are other more tolerant advanced societies an African immigrant can live a good life in. One just has to search. However, as for me, USA just ain't it. Yes, you have constant electricity, water, fast internet access, good universities and the likes. But, the average American will always remind you that you are not part of them no matter how long you reside in the USA and that is the gospel truth. I know some Nigerians will come on this thread and start defending America like their roots lie in that country or like that lives depended on it. However, I believe in telling it as it is. Many Nigerians love lying anyway so that they can keep boosting to their relatives in Nigeria and making themselves feel relevant. The truth however must be told so that people who wish to migrate to USA can make an informed decision. Shalom!
. With all u just posted ,Why r u still livin in US ?. I live in Chicago and I came to US at 18 to study. Have an MBA and doing very well and I visit Nigeria at least once a year. Have a house in a nice part of Lagos . Not all nigerians in US are struggling or doing menial jobs. I have a lot of professional friends who are doctors, lawyers, architects, engineers and entrepreneurs. So stop generalising. If America is not rewarding for u , u can move back to Nigeria. Do not discourage whomever wants to. By the way, I will probably share my retirement domain between America and Nigeria because both countries has been good to me.

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by alaladakosta(f): 7:43am On Oct 02, 2013
lol, @ Op. all what u wrote are wrong about america, common i live in america too with my family, ahan wetting its no bad reach that level at all,well the thing is maybe thingz no rossy for u dont use that as a yardstick and generalise. see, wetting i get here i no fit get am for nigeria, no be say i look down on myself o. yoruba pple say" if u cry u go still dey see o"lol. here is my own take on the issue,if u are coming here legally abeg dey come. even u be student just pray u meet the right pple its go dey easy with God.i sabi soooo many nigerians well dey do well here.infact all nigerians wey i sabi dem dey do well. live in big house drive nice car, though they work in pay for it, many of this people no get keke napep for eko ile o.so far wey u dey enjoy the amenities why u no go pay am, u come go snap where disaster happen dey call am yankee, i fear u o. no bad mouth yankee abeg. if its no pay u, them no go hold u for jfk for wanting to relocate to nigeria o. u come dey analise apati say house food debt, omo u go wise up ni, ever since i come yankee if i file tax i go just add like 5k$ join buy nice car, i no carry car note. my aprtment nko na elele i get swinming pool get gym. i dey pay n i dey rnjoy am. if dem say make nigerians dey pay 2k for nepa make light dey dey constant u think say dem no go pay am? the thing be say we too lazy, na short cut we all dey find. omo make i watch flight jare. one life.

15 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Ugosample(m): 8:29am On Oct 02, 2013
9icegee: lol u made me laugh. All these 'facts' can be gotten online. U almost proof wot u were actually trying to disproof, tht u watch too mAny tV (add internet)
Well, if you say i read a lot on the internet, you are right, t.v.? No way. I'm an Economics student and i've done a lot of research about the workings, facts and figures. And besides, i thought the question the thread raised was what you know about the USA. I just said a bit of what i know and .i was accused of watching too much t.v. By the way, a bit off topic, when my niece visited us Nigeria with her parents (her dad Nigerian, her mum American) i overhead her praying in the morning in the room and her prayer ended God bless me, and the United States of America. I was suprised. She said that her teacher(s) always told the class that the US is the greatest country. I asked another boy in my neighbourhood (about 7 years old) whether he prays for Nigeria and his response? I cannot waste my prayers on a useless country. I was shocked! If anyone doubts me, conduct your own personal research, ask primary school students arround you. My point? Our schools (most of them) do not instill a sense of nationalism and pride in the youths and with what they see happening, they conclude that there is no hope for the country. For the country to change this trend must be reversed. Good day.

8 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 02, 2013
Phema:

And you had to quote all that just to "Lol"? Permit me to say that you are silly.
Thankyou

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.