Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,191 members, 7,815,156 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke (31836 Views)

Sinners And Saints: Who Destroyed Nigeria? - Enemi George / Road To War :nigeria To Sign Defence Pact With Russia Over Bakassi/cameroon. / Why It Is Illogical To Claim That 'PDP' Destroyed Nigeria For Sixteen Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Licensed2Kill(m): 2:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
RoyPCain: i am not a supporter of gowon and almost all the administrations since him. i think gowon was particularly corrupt if only measuring his wedding victoria [an igbo woman] with so much lavishness in the height of the war. gowon should even be seized now and charge to court in nigeria for his action.

i do not think ojukwu was a good leader either for not knowing how to keep peace. to you youth, i was almost in high school when the war started so this is not a history book thing or somebody embellishing a story to make himself look like a victim or a hero.

the people advocating biafra should know that if you get it, the igbo will discriminate against the minority ethnic groups as the dust settles. the yorubas who are mose homogenous among the 3 sectional countries that may emerge from the dissolution of present day nigeria may probably at some future point, discriminate among themselves by the ara oke and atoun rewa mindset.

every person thinks he is better in theory, if not in practice and that is attested within family structure; father thinks he must dominate mother because of gender. children do the same by birth right. there are many artificial proposition people use.

its high time the youths if they truly believe the future is for them to shape abandoned tribalism. go for nation building and build it faster than america did from first world war onward. france may bully nigeria today. if you youths make your nation of tomorrow emerge as powerful as france, by sheer nearness to the theater of war, france will be powerless and you can decimate her because you will have population advantage above all.

the disaster of the past, each of the leaders of the past has a slice of the blame. it is dishonest to imagine some are blameless. you have nigeria. work hard to make her great. america was not born great. it is by hard work that everyone wants to come to her.

best wishes to all of you.
the wise one has spoken.
COURRRRRTT!
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by IFELEKE(m): 2:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
@topic
What OBJ did was diplomatically essential considering the fact that all factors were against us.
Let's hope our 'leaders'(present&future)can remedy this anomaly...
not for the oil but for displaced nigerians at the recieving end of cameroon's brutality.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by sylve11: 2:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Nuclear deterrent ke! undecided See how it's rolling off your tongue with ease.....bros, you think say nuclear deterrence na beans?

Our bumbling officials being what they are......they'd probably press the wrong button on the day and end up blowing up the whole country back to the ice ages!

abeg no make me laff. grin cool
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
crackhaus:
Don't be so sure saying stuff you're not certain of.

The royal family had no communication with Germany, if you check right you'll see they were even ashamed that the press was insinuating they had ties with germany, reason for this was because the name of the Royal house then was of German origin through the Prince's side of the family (the Prince's arranged marriage to the Queen of England was done because he's a distant cousin of the British crown).

My point is, the present 'House of Windsor' which is like the surname of the British crown right now was chosen by the Queen then to replace the former German house name (can't remember that now, it's quite long), to eliminate the sentiment that there might have been an alliance between the Crown and Nazi-Germany.

The only person that can return to the german house name right now is Prince William if he becomes King and only if he wants to, because his grand-father Prince Philip's actual surname is of German oringin.

This is their German name: Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

However, what would you say about King Edward VIII's romance with the Nazi's?
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by BonnyDominic: 3:06pm On Oct 12, 2013
Atimes dis is why dis Democracy of a tin is on d wrong side. France cud not speak wen Abacha was alive. Abacha dares even d world court den but dey cud not impliment dea verdict, Obansanjo earlier in his 1st regime told cameroon to b d one to first "throw stone"nd dey cud not, so if at d end, bakassi is given out, Mr Duke shud find something else to say.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by crackhaus: 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

This is their German name: Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

However, what would you say about King Edward VIII's romance with the Nazi's?
Of course King Edward VIII had Nazi-sympathies, I mean he is of german origin, but that doesn't mean the British throne condoned it. From what I've read and deduced so far, there's a big possibility that the 'Simpson affair' was given much fire and used as a focal point by the press and the Royal court so as to have a reasonable ground for abdication.
King Edward had to resign because of his affiliation and sympathy for Nazi-Germany and not completely because of the affair with Miss Simpson like we've been led to believe, thus leaving the throne vacant for his stammering younger brother. (Propaganda maybe?)

Like I said before, the British Crown could not afford to be seen in coalition with any thing Nazi.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Ramanto(m): 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
i'm really short of worlds.i'v gone through all ur contributions and come out wt the comclussion that the hope of Nigeria lies on Nairalanders.The forum is full of pple wt great deal of ingenuity and wit.u guys are too much.u all should occupy a key position in the govt come 2015 wen i become the president

1 Like

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by ocelot2006(m): 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

But do you think Nigeria would have been able to maintain its hold on the place after the ICJ judgement? I honestly doubt Nigeria can win a war against Cameroon with the French beside them. Nigeria isn't that militarily strong for that. Your navy would have been crushed within 24 hrs and your airforce is next to non-existent. Coupled with that fact that your poor air defense system is of French origin. So it would have been a one-sided affair with heavy loses on the Nigerian side. They probably would have annexed Cross River, Akwa Ibom and Biafra - to Cameroon as well. grin

Against the French, we dont stand a chance. But against the Camerounians, HA!! Younde would've fallen in weeks...ok maybe not....just sectors close to the Peninsular. Experience and firepower-wise, Cameroun simply CANNOT match Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by onila(f): 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2013
onila: Attack By Cameroonian Gendarmes Displaces 1000 Bakassi Indigenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toOC0U2CZcs
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by alanmwene: 3:37pm On Oct 12, 2013
I think that Mzee Mugabe should be decreted the president of the federal republic of naija! ;Mzee Robert will instill some courage into Nigerians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlVAEVwod-M

1 Like

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by kingslly(m): 3:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
Am so sure d French were bluffing...why didn't they level Nigeria during Abacha's regime when our Military engaged d camerounian soldiers in a serious conFrontation in d bakassi region?
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Thomsbuky(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
France bullied Nigeria and we back off Bakasi, leaving million of Nigerian stranded,deprive of resources and land at the mercy of Cameroon. Why do we still allow french company exploiting our oil resources, when they have shown us where there national interest lied. Why did Nigerian government not retaliate by Nationalise french oil company and ask them to sod off to Cameroon to exploit Bakasi oil. Its a shame we have no strong leadership (credit to Buhari/Idiagbon and Abacha government who refused to negotiate this island). In future other neighbour might see this as weakness and claim our coastal region since this cowardly government had laid such precedent.. It show the hypocrite of west especially Britain who is our colonial master.. While Britain still lay claim to Falkland Island, spanish resort island ICJ and united nation did not give them ultimatum to give up these island. My Personal opinion Nigeria should have drag it on as france will not attack sovereign nation while united nations look on.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by olopan(m): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2013
dude you have no point here, is boko haram a country | are they know!!! cameroon is a country with border etc...........please find something else to say than this rubbish you uttered
gratiaeo: Everybody is a general and commander in Nigeria. Nigeria that can not fight and defeat Boko Haram, they can only wage war against France in dream.
It su ck to be Nigeria
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by onila(f): 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
olopan: dude you have no point here, is boko haram a country | are they know!!! cameroon is a country with border etc...........please find something else to say than this rubbish you uttered
grin
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Kirinwa: 4:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
Licensed-2-Kill:
I see no sense in this post. Some dumbass jst dont understand how international politics works. The worst france could have done was to back cameroon up with weapons and tactical advice like they did in libya. They wouldnt dare raised a single finger against Nigeria and well, that's not because they can not.

Did you think before you wrote this?France showed Nigeria the exact positions of their soldiers.Do you know what it means?That technology is not your mate o.

If you're making a call and lied to your wife that you are in Lagos and she says,Darling you re in Port Harcourt at the Cinema,say me Hi to that girl wearing purple beside you.You look around and it checks out fine and she wasn't supposed to know this.Won't you feel insecure?

Think again.Think!
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by cap28: 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
This totally confirms what I hve been saying abt the cowards who run nigeria. Impetialist lackey and houseboy extraordinaire obj is the most useless sack of sh..t on.the planet. He ran to his mastrs britain and the us but they told him to piss off . How cn u expect a white man to side with u against their own?
At the end of the day u r only in thr picture to be exploited.

Courageous people like the Vietnamese forced the French to surrender en masse but coward obj surrendered before any shots were fired shame!

3 Likes

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by pheesayor(m): 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
South south which cross river falls under will never join Biafra and that is even if Biafra becomes a reality which I'm not sure will happen.
chidindufrank: This is one reason we must get our Biafra back. Cameron and France will then know who owns Bakassi. Gowon may the sword never depart from your village,family and household
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
pheesayor: South south which cross river falls under will never join Biafra and that is even if Biafra becomes a reality which I'm not sure will happen.
What is south south? Who was Ojukwu's deputy and later became the President of Biafra?

1 Like

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by meforyou1(m): 6:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
I love international politics and diplomacy. US said they stand where britain stands. And britain is speaking from both sides of their mouth.
Gowon sold bakassi to cameroon durin d civil war. So why's nobody talking of that.
For those quoting france 2nd world war and vietman records, where was nigeria then?
French revolution in d 18th century produced the modern france. But have we gotten a modern nigeria?
Don't try france in any way at any time, they will crush u.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by cap28: 6:18pm On Oct 12, 2013
No wonder no one respects us and for those who are yet to understand how Europe and the us operate pls be aware of the fact that the us, France and the UK are allies and eill never go to war with each other over a colony as they have signed treaties agreeing not to interfere with each other's property- nigeria is Britain's property and Cameroun is france's

If nigeria had gone to war with france I can tell u now britain and the us would immediately impose economic embargo on Nigeria and make sure it is completely isolated a m not sure China wld even be able to trade with Nigeria at that point
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by eaglechild: 6:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

Come on, now. I doubt Hitler really wanted to defeat the UK, to be honest. I believe he just wanted to bring the country to its kneels, but everything was more of a game than anything else. The Royal Family is German - and best believe they had direct communication with the Germans during the war. Heck, all of Germany's best military assets were deployed against the Russians in lieu of the UK.

That said, the yanks did help by selling weapons to the UK. However, without the brave Russians - there was absolutely no way the Americans would have defeated the Germans, trust me. Hence why most historians still question why Hitler attacked Russia. The Russians won the war.

Anyway, yes, the French used to great fighters, but since world war 2, they have been puzzies. Smashed in Algeria. Disgraced in Vietnam. Chickened out in Egypt during the Suez Canal crisis when the Soviets gave them a stern warning. France is puzzy! undecided
You are mostly right about the Russians, but I can see your sentiment lies with the Brits(The Brits are notorious for calling the French pu***).
Even the Americans were disgraced by the Vietnamese not just the French.
Was it not the French that struck the first blow against Libya while UK was still waiting for their American masters to give them a go ahead?
Truth is France has sworn never to lick anyone's buttt after WW2.
They have been testing their nuclear weapons since the 80s in the midst of controversies.
The French have had very embarrassing war records in the past just like every other world power.
It's just that the Brits make it a point of duty to rub it in their faces and being a former British colony, that's what we see.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
eaglechild:
You are mostly right about the Russians, but I can see your sentiment lies with the Brits(The Brits are notorious for calling the French pu***).
Even the Americans were disgraced by the Vietnamese not just the French.
Was it not the French that struck the first blow against Libya while UK was still waiting for their American masters to give them a go ahead?
Truth is France has sworn never to lick anyone's buttt after WW2.
They have been testing their nuclear weapons since the 80s in the midst of controversies.
The French have had very embarrassing war records in the past just like every other world power.
It's just that the Brits make it a point of duty to rub it in their faces and being a former British colony, that's what we see.

After what happened during world war 2 and how the French didn't put up any resistance - I doubt their image would ever recover from that. Subsequently, they have been smacked around in almost every other country except militarily weak sub-saharan African countries.

As for the Libya fiasco, Sarkozy was just trying to get his mini napoleon complex on - and market the French Dassault Rafale jets at the same time. Don't forget the Dassault Rafale jets were also part of the fighter jets vying for the Indian fighter jets contract at that time. And what other way is better to show off those jets than defying the Libyan air defense system before the tomahawk cruise missiles started dropping on the Libyans? Add Gaddafi's refusal to purchase those jets from the French to the equation and you would understand the mindset of Sarkozy and why they struck first.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Libya was the UK's war; the UK launched more than 2 dozens of tomahawk missiles on the Libyans; and the RAF did more sorties than the French airforce.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by eaglechild: 6:47pm On Oct 12, 2013
alanmwene:
you are just trying to justify cowardice!Vietnameses took on French with all the odds stacked against them ,but they crushed frenchs in Dien bien phu:
A real army general in action:Vo Nguyen Giap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG3mifrpGp0
Then they took on America,the most powerful state on earth,with zero chances of winning the war.But they came on too!Mind you,vietnam is a small country with just about 60 millions of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6zxKKfgFI
It is not enough to have big mouths.You have to back them up when the going get tough!
In other words, you are saying that Vietnam is stronger than America and France?
I don't know how to help you really.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 12, 2013
cap28: No wonder no one respects us and for those who are yet to understand how Europe and the us operate pls be aware of the fact that the us, France and the UK are allies and eill never go to war with each other over a colony as they have signed treaties agreeing not to interfere with each other's property- nigeria is Britain's property and Cameroun is france's

If nigeria had gone to war with france I can tell u now britain and the us would immediately impose economic embargo on Nigeria and make sure it is completely isolated a m not sure China wld even be able to trade with Nigeria at that point

I concur. And this is more reason why Nigeria needs to modernise its military. There will always be external threats and the Nigerian armed forces can't fight their way out of a paper-bag. That's how poor they're.

1 Like

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by eaglechild: 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

After what happened during world war 2 and how the French didn't put up any resistance - I doubt their image would ever recover from that. Subsequently, they have been smacked around in almost every other country except militarily weak sub-saharan African countries.

As for the Libya fiasco, Sarkozy was just trying to get his mini napoleon complex on - and market the French Dassault Rafale jets at the same time. Don't forget the Dassault Rafale jets were also part of the fighter jets vying for the Indian fighter jets contract at that time. And what other way is better to show off those jets than defying the Libyan air defense system before the tomahawk cruise missiles started dropping on the Libyans? Add Gaddafi's refusal to purchase those jets from the French to the equation and you would understand the mindset of Sarkozy and why they struck first.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Libya was the UK's war; the UK launched more than 2 dozens of tomahawk missiles on the Libyans; and the RAF did more sorties than the French airforce.
The French did put up a resistance, Free French movement, fought throughout.
I agree WW2 will remain an indelible embarrassment, but come to think of it, perhaps if a proper battle was fought, the world would have lost the priceless treasures of Paris including the Louvre.
A large chunk of European history and civilisation would have been erased.
In any case, do you think if Britain and France were to swap locations, the same fate would not have befallen the Brits?

Lol at mini Napoleon complex. Sounds good.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by cap28: 7:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

I concur. And this is more reason why Nigeria needs to modernise its military. There will always be external threats and the Nigerian armed forces can't fight their way out of a paper-bag. That's how poor they're.

True, but in the end who is ready to fight and die for a country run by imperialist stooges? Also the average Nigerian is a coward. The reason the Vietnamese defeated the United States wss because they were ready to fight till the last man and woman, many Vietnamese women fought to defend their country

1 Like

Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by Nobody: 7:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
eaglechild:
The French did put up a resistance, Free French movement, fought throughout.
I agree WW2 will remain an indelible embarrassment, but come to think of it, perhaps if a proper battle was fought, the world would have lost the priceless treasures of Paris including the Louvre.
A large chunk of European history and civilisation would have been erased.
In any case, do you think if Britain and France were to swap locations, the same fate would not have befallen the Brits?

Lol at mini Napoleon complex. Sounds good.

Brother, when it comes to defending homeland - everything else becomes irrelevant. They can always rebuild another Paris and Louvre, however, when you lose your freedom - there's no coming back from that. You've to make sacrifices. Imagine if the Hitler and the Nazi's had not gone on their ego trip and attacked Russia, France would be a German colony now. The Brits fought with everything they have got despite all the bombs the Germans were dropping on all the UK cities. Heck, Buckingham Palace got hit, but they kept on fighting like warriors. Russia gave everything it had to defend the homeland - sacrificing 20 million people is not a joke. However, they had to pay that price for freedom.

If the UK were to swap locations with the French, trust me, the Brits would have continued fighting.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." - Winston Churchill
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by vedaxcool(m): 7:24pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

Brother, when it comes to defending homeland - everything else becomes irrelevant. They can always rebuild another Paris and Louvre, however, when you lose your freedom - there's no coming back from that. You've to make sacrifices. Imagine if the Hitler and the Nazi's had not gone on their ego trip and attacked Russia, France would be a German colony now. The Brits fought with everything they have got despite all the bombs the Germans were dropping on all the UK cities. Heck, Buckingham Palace got hit, but they kept on fighting like warriors. Russia gave everything it had to defend the homeland - sacrificing 20 million people is not a joke. However, they had to pay that price for freedom.

If the UK were to swap locations with the French, trust me, the Brits would have continued fighting.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender." - Winston Churchill

bros 1billion likes it is a pity our leaders cowed so easily, to the same France that armed biafra instead of feeding them.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by eaglechild: 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
shymexx:

There was Vichy France and the rest of France.
France continued fighting.
They also sacrificed a lot
Charles de Gaulle kept on fighting from exile.
Trust me Britain would have fallen to the Germans.
The same Brits have fallen to the French several times and vice versa.
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by eaglechild: 7:35pm On Oct 12, 2013
vedaxcool:

bros 1billion likes it is a pity our leaders cowed so easily, to the same France that armed biafra instead of feeding them.
Should Nigeria have attacked France?
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by danbdavid: 7:38pm On Oct 12, 2013
It is satodic it is lucubilous is in a state of disma pixma since d parlimentarian does nt rise up to put culpability were culpability really is
So why den re we blame obasanjo if he tries in so much for dis country
It's time for us to apreciate obasanjo as a hero leader
Re: France Would Have Destroyed Nigeria Over Bakassi - Duke by vedaxcool(m): 7:40pm On Oct 12, 2013
eaglechild:
Should Nigeria have attacked France?

we should have stood our ground.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: Fayemi To Meet With Ekiti Mornarchs, Ooni After Alaafin's Letter / Saraki Goofs, Says No Need For Senate Confirmation For New Service Chiefs / "My Enemies Will Be Sick And Die" - Fayose As He Celebrates Ekiti Women (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.