Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Aborisa:yoruba Religion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Aborisa:yoruba Religion (22825 Views)

Reasons Why Yoruba Religion(aborisa) Is Evil / YORUBA Religion :: 8 World Religions, 4 Axes: Something is Wrong With The World. / So Which Is The True Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 4:26pm On Oct 03, 2013
IFA
Ifá refers to the system of divination and the verses of the literary corpus known as the Odù Ifá. Yoruba religion identifies Orunmila as the Grand Priest, as he who revealed Oracle divinity to the world. Such is his association with the Oracle divinity; in some instances, the term "Ọ̀rúnmìlà" is used interchangeably with Ifá.
Ifá originated in Ile-Ife in the form of a stringent Yoruba religious system, and is celebrated in traditional African medicine, Santería (referred to as Lukumi),Candomblé, West African & Diaspora Vodou, and similarly in Orisa'Ifa lineages all over the globe.

Ifa is an ancient sacred science that has been passed down generationally for thousands of years. Ifa is a means of communicating with the spiritual world. Through ifa we can see what cannot be seen- in the past, present and future, therefore when we place our trust on the word of ifa, we are always ensured hope, no matter how dire the situation may seem.
Performing Ifa divination is called Ifa dida or idafa (ounte ale), also called consulting Da'fa. Ifa dida / Idafa is performed by a Babalawo or Iyanifa (an initiate of Ifa oracle). Babalawo can be translated as "father of the secrets" while "Iyanifa" means "mother that has Ifa(i.e. its blessing)". The babalawo or iyanifa casts for the odu or "pattern" and provides insights according to the odu about the current circumstances impacting the life of a person requesting this information and provides any necessary information to aid the individual. Awo is a reference for devotees in the Orisa tradition. It includes Babalawos, Iyanifas, Babalorishas, Iyalorishas and even uninitiated devotees. Traditionally in Lucumi, women have not been initiated into Ifa priesthood, according to the teaching which allows them as little a single Ikin and as many as 12 (according to the Sode tradition). In the USA and abroad (in Yorubaland), practitioners of the Ifa tradition do initiate women into Ifa.
Initiation into Ifa requires rigorous study. The Babalawo or Iyanifa must learn and understand each of the 256 chapters (Odu) of Ifa. The minimum of four verses will of necessity include ebo (sacrifice) and oogun (medicine) that are embedded and relevant to each of the verses, plus other issues that complement divination. An accomplished initiate must know about ten verses of each of the 256 chapters of Ifa (256 Odu Ifa). Other sources say that before an initiate can serve others through Ifa divination he or she must first be able to recite at least four verses from each Odu. Everyone who is initiated to Ifa can serve others through the Ifa oracle. Ifa service is an office bestowed once you have received training from an elder. Those who aspire to serve through Ifa must have this qualification.
Odu — a special Orisa — can only be received by a Babalawo (male) who decides to perform the special initiation that will allow him access to Odu. In essence, initiation into Ifa is the first step towards initiation into Odu. A woman cannot be initiated into Odu. This is because since she already has a womb, she has no need to receive Odu.
Character Traits of an Awo: Orunmila demands humility from his initiates, therefore, a Babalawo/Iyanifa should be an embodiment of patience, righteous character, honesty, and humility. The respect that one would give to a Babalawo is to also be extended to his Apetebi (the wife and assistant of a Babalawo).
Conversely, in Cuba and parts of Nigeria such as Ode Remo, Ijebuland and Ibadan (and Ile Ife up until at least 1992), the position of the Iyanifa as a divining initiate of Ifa is hotly contested on the grounds that in the Odu; Ogunda 'Ka, Irete 'Gbe and Oshe 'Yekun, no one can become a full Awo Ifa without the presence of the Orisa Odu, and in the Odu Ifa Irete Ogbe, Odu herself says that she would only marry Orunmila if he promised not to permit women to be in the same room as her. Also, Dr. Ikulomi Djisovi Eason reports that in Ile Ife, widely considered Ifá's capital among traditional Yoruba, did not initiate women as late as 1992. These views appear to be confirmed by books published in Nigeria as far back as the 19th century. For instance, the eminent Yoruba author James Johnson wrote in one of the most detailed early descriptions of Ifa that "Whenever this should be the case, a woman would receive from a Babalawo only one Ikin or Consecrated Palm nut called Eko, which she would carry about her body for her protection, and whenever divination should recommend and prescribe to her sacrifice to Ifa, she would, for the time being, hand over her Eko either to her husband or to her brother, or any other male relative according to prescription, who would include it in his own Ikins for the purpose of the worship and sacrifice in which she would participate. Sources from Yorubaland going back to the mid-19th century clearly state that only men can become Ifa diviners. The idea that any woman's womb is the equivalent of Odu, the force that created the universe, is not a tenable one to traditionalists. This is the theological equivalent to a man who might want to claim to be a Babalawo without initiation due to the virtue of having male Instruments as does the Orisha Orunmila.
Apetebi is a title given to the wife of a Babalawo. In many shrines houses any female who has the hand of Ifa is viewed as apetebi. Apetebi is the name Orunmila gave to his wife, whom he cured from leprosy before giving birth to his child. This is from the Sacred Odu Ifa Obara Ogunda.
Iyanifa is the title of female initiate to IFA, but can mean several other things as well depending on region and tradition.
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 6:05pm On Oct 03, 2013
ok, ifa is wisdom, the past, present and future, what is, what was and what will be. Orumila is high priest, the balawo is suppose tn aquire that knowledge by interpreting a set of chanced circumstance usually palm nut or bead and using a technique of divinition learned from an elder.
Now is ifa an orisa itself or just the technique orumila and his initiates use to access a certain supernatural knowledge?
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2013
Ubenedictus: ok, ifa is wisdom, the past, present and future, what is, what was and what will be. Orumila is high priest, the balawo is suppose tn aquire that knowledge by interpreting a set of chanced circumstance usually palm nut or bead and using a technique of divinition learned from an elder.
Now is ifa an orisa itself or just the technique orumila and his initiates use to access a certain supernatural knowledge?
you are following. Good smiley

Ifa is the system of divination, but the spirit behind it is Orunmila, it is all Orunmila's knowledge that is stated in the odu-ifa. it's not wrong to call ifa an orisa because Orunmila is Ifa, without Orunmila there won't be Ifa. Ifa exist because Orunmila exist(and would always exist). It is true that Orunmila and his initiates use it to access supernatural knowledge but It is all Orunmila's knowledge. And as the closest and most loved orisa by Olodumare, he knows the will of Olodumare, and Ifa is the pure word of Olodumare as interpreted by Orunmila.

1 Like

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 9:39pm On Oct 03, 2013

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by InesQor(m): 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2013
Maferefun Olodumare
Oyigiyigi (The steadfast, unmovable, great and mighty one)
Oba ti gbobo oba nt’owo re gb’ase (The king from whom all kings take directives)
Olorun Agbalagba (The ancient of days)
Adagba ma paaro oye (Unchanging God)
Okan titi aye ainipekun (The same forever)
Onibuore (The benevolent one, whose barns are full of blessing)
Atogbojule (Dependable God)
Oludariji (The forgiving one)
Olutusile (God of freedom)

Maferefun loosely means "in the praise of", and is used when one offers praises, adoration (or even adulation) to a deity in the Yoruba religion. In the above, I have offered praise to Olodumare, the creator. Olodumare is one of the manifestations or expressions of the SUPREME GOD. The other two manifestations are Olorun (God of the heavens) and Olofin (God who connects heaven and earth, and who permeates all, and is all and is in all.)

3 Likes

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 10:21pm On Oct 03, 2013
InesQor: Maferefun Olodumare
Oba ti gbobo oba nt’owo re gb’ase (The king from whom all kings take directives)

Maferefun loosely means "in the praise of", and is used when one offers praises, adoration (or even adulation) to a deity in the Yoruba religion. In the above, I have offered praise to Olodumare, the creator. Olodumare is one of the manifestations or expressions of the SUPREME GOD. The other two manifestations are Olorun (God of the heavens) and Olofin (God who connects heaven and earth, and who permeates all, and is all and is in all.)
I always thought Olofin and Olorun are manifestations of Olodumare. Olodumare being the complete form of both
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by InesQor(m): 10:33pm On Oct 03, 2013
macof: I always thought Olofin and Olorun are manifestations of Olodumare. Olodumare being the complete form of both

(A) Yes, this is actually another way that people look at it: Olodumare, the creator, has two manifestations Olorun and Olofin.

(B) Yet some others say Olodumare (the Supreme God) has 3 manifestations: Olodumare (the creator), Olorun and Olofin.

Worldview B seems a bit ambiguous because Olodumare refers both to the Supreme God and also to the creator God. Like, the creator God is just ONE part of the entire supreme God. However, it is usually the more common view. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olorun

One may ask, but didn't Obatala create human beings? Not exactly. He created their human bodies, and Olodumare breathed life into the bodies.

In either case, it is believed that is impossible to approach Olodumare directly with our normal human psyche because he is an impersonal God. This is why in the Yoruba religion Olodumare is not usually worshipped directly. Instead, the Orishas are the conduit through which Olodumare is reached by Yoruba worshippers.

1 Like

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 10:52pm On Oct 03, 2013
InesQor:

(A) Yes, this is actually another way that people look at it: Olodumare, the creator, has two manifestations Olorun and Olofin.

(B) Yet some others say Olodumare (the Supreme God) has 3 manifestations: Olodumare (the creator), Olorun and Olofin.

Worldview B seems a bit ambiguous because Olodumare refers both to the Supreme God and also to the creator God. Like, the creator God is just ONE part of the entire supreme God. However, it is usually the more common view. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olorun

One may ask, but didn't Obatala create human beings? Not exactly. He created their human bodies, and Olodumare breathed life into the bodies.

In either case, it is believed that is impossible to approach Olodumare directly with our normal human psyche because he is an impersonal God. This is why in the Yoruba religion Olodumare is not usually worshipped directly. Instead, the Orishas are the conduit through which Olodumare is reached by Yoruba worshippers.

I would always prefer to accept the A. B is downgrading to his majesty Olodumare(since I think Olodumare is an evolved being comprising of both Olorun and Olofin)

1 Like

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:07pm On Oct 03, 2013
@ OP

Pls what is supernatural in Ifa divination?
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 11:50pm On Oct 03, 2013
FOLYKAZE: @ OP

Pls what is supernatural in Ifa divination?
foly am not a babalawo or in any awo cult so I honestly don't know a lot about Ifa. But wat I do know is dat Ifa is a way of helping humans to achieve their destiny. U can't go wrong wit Ifa
And these Babalawos have gone through a lot of training, their ability to memorize that much odu verses is simply awesome.

The supernatural aspect of Ifa
1. The fact that the powers behind it are not visible and it makes u wonder how Ifa has been able solve problems and give priceless advise to people of different situations over the last few thousands of years.

2. The omnisense of Ifa

3. Ifa is the true word of Olodumare as interpreted by Orunmila

4. Ifa is about spiritual awareness, it prescribes Spiritual solutions, and narrates spiritual experiences

1 Like

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:06am On Oct 04, 2013
macof: foly am not a babalawo or in any awo cult so I honestly don't know a lot about Ifa. But wat I do know is dat Ifa is a way of helping humans to achieve their destiny. U can't go wrong wit Ifa
And these Babalawos have gone through a lot of training, their ability to memorize that much odu verses is simply awesome.

The supernatural aspect of Ifa
1. The fact that the powers behind it are not visible and it makes u wonder how Ifa has been able solve problems and give priceless advise to people of different situations over the last few thousands of years.

2. The omnisense of Ifa

3. Ifa is the true word of Olodumare as interpreted by Orunmila

4. Ifa is about spiritual awareness, it prescribes Spiritual solutions, and narrates spiritual experiences

I appreciate the fact that you dont know much about Ifa. I dont know much too. Nobody knows everything about ifa. It a continuous education that can take life time and might not been acquired till death. I agree the Babalawo have more knowledge about it than we do....i just want you to understand that the 16 corpus of Ifa and those Odu we learnt are just peripherial aspect.

PERMIT ME CORRECT TO SOME MISTAKES YOU MAKE ON SUPERNATURAL IN IFA

1. There is nothing invisible to Ifa. Maybe supernatural to you is something you dont understand. I think when you know the procedure of practising Ifa, it become more like practise and skill to you. Here are my thoughts on yoruba spirituality....

Eledumare = El' (body or owner) + Odu (intelligence) + mare (infinity) which mean the body of infinity intelligence/consciousness. So Eledumare is totality of forces, energies and all that therein in the universe. No skydaddy attached to this. Eledumare is universe itself.

Orisa = Ori (consciousness) + sa (selected) which mean selected consciousness among the infinity consciousness....ELEDUMARE. It not necessary for you to select them. Remember 'ori eni lo ye ka bo, aba fi orisa sile'? Meaning our consciousness is more essential than those selected ones. There is nothing like demons, monsters or supernatural attached to this.

Irunmole are Spiral energies.

Orun is sky/space not heaven where sky daddy live.

Orunmila is the convex of awakeness, intelligence, knowledge and insight. This is a special form of energy within us....well I agree allegory were attached to it and it was personify but I think our ancestors did that to simplify and understand this energy among themselves. No monster attached to it.

Ifa then is a special and esoteric body of knowledge which aids spiritual connection with Eledumare and interact with Irunmoles. Ifa is the knowledge and understanding of spirituality of Orisha practice with spiritual calculations that bring and interpret message, warning, solutions, advise from spirits..... Nothing like supernatural attached. When you are initiated, divination will be more like skills.

2. It more like google..... There is a saying that Ifa dont lie or say deceit. It is the corpus song the babalawo sing to it that it reveal. Just like google search engine, when you search for 'kimbet', you will have result for that....what you search for is what you got.... Same apply to Ifa. There is no supernatural thang here.

3. True.... Despite, Eledumare is not supernatural. Orunmila is not supernatural. Same thing with Ifa.

4. True.

There is nothing bad accepting that you know something happen but do not know how, why, what or reason why such thing happened. I encourage open minded into everything and questioning everything. If by saying Ifa is supernatural to mean....'it really amazing, whao but I dont know whats behind it', i tend to agree with you but I dont seem to embrace attachment of Monster and demon to our ignorance. The more we seek and walk through, the more we know. So I think walking and seeking should be essential.

Let me ask, have you ever seen babalawo divining and have you really been amazed at the way they touch issues and problems? Can you share it here?

1 Like

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:05am On Oct 04, 2013
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 10:14am On Oct 04, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

I appreciate the fact that you dont know much about Ifa. I dont know much too. Nobody knows everything about ifa. It a continuous education that can take life time and might not been acquired till death. I agree the Babalawo have more knowledge about it than we do....i just want you to understand that the 16 corpus of Ifa and those Odu we learnt are just peripherial aspect.

PERMIT ME CORRECT TO SOME MISTAKES YOU MAKE ON SUPERNATURAL IN IFA

1. There is nothing invisible to Ifa. Maybe supernatural to you is something you dont understand. I think when you know the procedure of practising Ifa, it become more like practise and skill to you. Here are my thoughts on yoruba spirituality....

Eledumare = El' (body or owner) + Odu (intelligence) + mare (infinity) which mean the body of infinity intelligence/consciousness. So Eledumare is totality of forces, energies and all that therein in the universe. No skydaddy attached to this. Eledumare is universe itself.

Orisa = Ori (consciousness) + sa (selected) which mean selected consciousness among the infinity consciousness....ELEDUMARE. It not necessary for you to select them. Remember 'ori eni lo ye ka bo, aba fi orisa sile'? Meaning our consciousness is more essential than those selected ones. There is nothing like demons, monsters or supernatural attached to this.

Irunmole are Spiral energies.

Orun is sky/space not heaven where sky daddy live.

Orunmila is the convex of awakeness, intelligence, knowledge and insight. This is a special form of energy within us....well I agree allegory were attached to it and it was personify but I think our ancestors did that to simplify and understand this energy among themselves. No monster attached to it.

Ifa then is a special and esoteric body of knowledge which aids spiritual connection with Eledumare and interact with Irunmoles. Ifa is the knowledge and understanding of spirituality of Orisha practice with spiritual calculations that bring and interpret message, warning, solutions, advise from spirits..... Nothing like supernatural attached. When you are initiated, divination will be more like skills.

2. It more like google..... There is a saying that Ifa dont lie or say deceit. It is the corpus song the babalawo sing to it that it reveal. Just like google search engine, when you search for 'kimbet', you will have result for that....what you search for is what you got.... Same apply to Ifa. There is no supernatural thang here.

3. True.... Despite, Eledumare is not supernatural. Orunmila is not supernatural. Same thing with Ifa.

4. True.

There is nothing bad accepting that you know something happen but do not know how, why, what or reason why such thing happened. I encourage open minded into everything and questioning everything. If by saying Ifa is supernatural to mean....'it really amazing, whao but I dont know whats behind it', i tend to agree with you but I dont seem to embrace attachment of Monster and demon to our ignorance. The more we seek and walk through, the more we know. So I think walking and seeking should be essential.

Let me ask, have you ever seen babalawo divining and have you really been amazed at the way they touch issues and problems? Can you share it here?
Unfortunately I have never seen a babalawo divining, I have actually been looking forward to that but I've been in Abuja ever since I fully went back to my ancestry and I doubt if there are active babalawos here.

I have seen only Ogun and Osun ritual ceremonies.
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 12:50pm On Oct 04, 2013
COMMON REASONS FOR CONSULTING IFA
Ifa divination (also called consultation) is performed for many proposes and a host of occasions, the purposes and occasions is what determines the instrument used in the divination sessions. Divination is often performed for lesser reasons such as "regular check up" to life-changing occasions such as marriage or child birthing etc., divination can also be performed for a group (small / large) or community (the first examples are more likely for a person, couple, parents or family). On occasion when it is performed for the community or society it takes on another significance.
• Annual Divination for the New Year - one occasion where a major divination is performed and the ranking Ifa initiate are present to witness and partake. This is called the divination of the new year, which is also sometimes referred to as the First Yam Festival (for ancient annual agricultural cycles). The results of such a divination will be discussed and analyzed by the Ifa initiates, shared with the Ooni (Custodian of Yoruba Culture, tradition and religion), and shared with the extended community. To read more about the governing Odu for 2012 & 2013, click here. Some teach that the youngest awo ( or newest initiate ) serves as the spokesman of the divining counsel.
• Establishing a new town or settlement, is another reason Ifa is cast to know more about that towns living principals and parameters etc. An example can be found in IrosunMeji.
• Mate selection - (or courting) a potential partner, several examples will be posted shortly.
• Esentaye (new born baby rites) - Also called Ikosedaye, is another major occasion to consult Ifa for direction and advice on the child's destiny and taboos
• Burial rites
• Planning a new business or enterprise etc. and/or starting a new job
• Moving to a new location and/or purchasing a home

INSTRUMENT FOR IFA DIVINATION
a group of sixteen Ikin, commonly known as sacred palm nuts, which are used to create ancient binary data
Dust from the Irosun tree (Iyerosun)
a vessel for the seeds (Ajere Ifa)
a divination tray (Opon Ifa).
a tapper instrument (Iroke Ifa)
a fly whisk (Irukere Ifa)
another form of divination is with the Opele (divining chain), though Ikin is considered superior

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:42pm On Oct 04, 2013
macof: Unfortunately I have never seen a babalawo divining, I have actually been looking forward to that but I've been in Abuja ever since I fully went back to my ancestry and I doubt if there are active babalawos here.

I have seen only Ogun and Osun ritual ceremonies.

Ifa is not something we advertise like chin-chin.

I believe some Yoruba men in Abuja have it for their personal use. It not poster and not a thang we force down people throat.

Experience is the best teacher. Words and book cant explain all. Most of, I appreciate your awakeness and your patriotic motive.

Ori e a gbe e o.
Ase

3 Likes

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 2:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
macof: you are following. Good smiley

Ifa is the system of divination, but the spirit behind it is Orunmila, it is all Orunmila's knowledge that is stated in the odu-ifa. it's not wrong to call ifa an orisa because Orunmila is Ifa, without Orunmila there won't be Ifa. Ifa exist because Orunmila exist(and would always exist). It is true that Orunmila and his initiates use it to access supernatural knowledge but It is all Orunmila's knowledge. And as the closest and most loved orisa by Olodumare, he knows the will of Olodumare, and Ifa is the pure word of Olodumare as interpreted by Orunmila.
beautiful, well put and understood
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 2:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
InesQor: Maferefun Olodumare

interesting. Thisis the first time i'm hearing that olorun has 3 minifestations.
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 3:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
if you wish ti discuss the act of divining, then i advise you invite pastor aio. He knows alot about that aspect
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 5:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
Ubenedictus: if you wish ti discuss the act of divining, then i advise you invite pastor aio. He knows alot about that aspect
a pastor who is also a babalawo
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 5:21pm On Oct 05, 2013
macof: a pastor who is also a babalawo
i think he studied it, he can explain the process and give some incantations. I dont think he is a babalawo
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 5:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
Odu Ifa are patterns of binary codes, which represent all of the energies contained in Igba Iwa. The odu themselves are the oracle of the divination system. It is through the Odu-Ifa, that babalawo and iyanifa are able to work with individuals to achieve the greatest potential of their destiny. It is through the Odu Ifa that priests and priestess of Orisa can help people repair their Ori, and better themselves.

The Odu Ifa are like blueprints to all the energies possible in the universe. Each has verses of esoteric knowledge associated with it along with medicines,rituals and sacrifices that accompany each of the 256 Odu

first 16 Odu Ifa
1. Ejiogbe/Ogbe-meji
2. Ejioyeku/Oyeku-Meji
3. Iwori-meji
4. Odi-meji
5. Irosun-meji
6. Owonrin-meji
7. Obara-meji
8. Okanran-meji
9. Ogunda-meji
10. Osa-meji
11. Ejika/Ika-meji
12. Oturupon-meji
13. Otura-meji
14. Ejirete/Irete-meji
15. Ejiose/Ose-meji
16. Ejiofun/Ofun-meji

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 5:33pm On Oct 05, 2013
Ubenedictus: i think he studied it, he can explain the process and give some incantations. I dont think he is a babalawo
Then it would be nice to have him here. But he hasn't be active on NL for a month now. undecided
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
okeyxyz: Nice. Every once in a long while, nairaland surprises me by producing a beautiful thread like this one. Welldone @OP. Unfortunately The two idiots above me have already started trolling this thread and causing distractions from learning yoruba tradition/mythology/spirituality/ancestry. Please if you wanna bash christianity(as usual) go create a separate thread instead of digressing this one.

Now I wish somebody would create an igbo version of mythology.
Igbos has it's own creation story, maybe u should learn more about your ethnic group. Africa has a rich culture, and there's so many things Europeans have stolen from us. We must try to know urselves and appreciate our culture.

Maybe when u learn ur creation myth, u can post on NL for us to learn.
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by Ubenedictus(m): 6:24pm On Oct 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 6:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
FOLYKAZE: Dont curse the dark.....light the candle in it.

Obviously, some folks will be seeing this as mythical story. Nope, it is not....our ancestors has explained evolution spiritually to their knowledge. So instead of seeing the personify forces, you look beyond what you see.

Obatala means chief of white cloth. It is symbolic and more than cloth. White clothe symbolize light. Physics teaches that the first manifestation of dynamics in the universe was light.

Olokun is salty water which arose after the ice meltdown and turn to liquid water after she meant with Obatala....light.

The chain used by Obatala to travel from the Realm of the Ancestors to Earth appears to be a symbolic representation of the structure used to transmit genetic information from one generation to the next. The genetic code that is used to form each species is passed through a biochemical substance called DNA. When DNA is viewed under a microscope it appears as a double helix, which is similar to the pattern of a chain. In Ifa scripture the reference to the Realm of the Ancestors includes all those Natural Forces that led to the development of human life and is not limited to human form. In Western science that DNA which exists in mammals is believed to be an extension of a chain of transmission from single cell life forms at the bottom of the ocean to complex life forms that populate the earth. This was put in primodial soup....this is the reason Ifa call Olokun the mother of all life.

When Obatala climbs down the chain towards land, he takes soil a from snail shell. The shape of the snail shell is a pattern that recurs throughout Nature. The early Greeks called this pattern the “Golden Mean”. It is a series of expanding circles that get progressively larger at a steady rate. This growth pattern occurs in trees, plants, and sea life. It is the same pattern that regulates the distance of planets from the sun. The snail shell as a sacred object associated with Obatala symbolized the expansive quality of evolution.

Those who are versed in science can look up to this and find some senses.

@OP......pls stop calling this myth. It is not myth but spiritual hypothesis.

Ori wa a gbe wa o.
You make a lot of sense here.
Our ancestors might have actually locked into some sort of cosmic knowledge of nature and the universe, but interpreted it to a case of living sprits running the universe.

Like in the case of Yemoja; she is associated with child birth, it is said that she sends her fishes to the womb(which belongs to her).

It has been scientifically proven that, when we are in our mothers womb, we appear fish-like, but evolve gradually.

And also, I think the womb is some sort of incubator, filled with Liquid substance, and until we grow to size, we just swim around like fishes.

How the Yoruba story rhymes with some latest scientific theories smiley
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 7:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
Ubenedictus: www.nairaland.com/48078/ifa-orisa-religion-true-identity/11
awesome thread. Mr. Idinrete and Pastor Aoi really know a lot about Ifa.
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
Here are some stories from Odu Ifa

A PASSAGE FROM HOLY ODU OYEKUDI(I think it's the 34th odu Ifa) in English.
"the road is very straight,
It doesn't turn
He cast Ifa for Oye,
When he was going to bring home a bride from his ward
They said he should sacrifice 1 he-goat and 14,000 cowries
So that his manhood should not disgrace him
Oye didn't make sacrifice,
When Oye brought his bride
He was not able to make love to her
They said "what kind of Oye is he?"
They said "he isOye who has died at his waist"
from the time on we have been calling him Oyekudi"

Odu Ofunse(256th Odu)
"Ofunse,
The priest of Aje,
Cast divination for Aje,
When she was coming from heaven to earth,
She was asked to perform sacrifice,
Both the youth and elder will look after getting wealth"

EXAMPLE OF A DIVINATION SESSION
The babalawo unravels details of the clients situation from Ese Ifa in a form of poem, he helps interpret and the client figures out how it applies to his personal current situation. Often the client would have an internal reaction to the message of Ifa and will tell the babalawo further interpretations based on how it affects the situation.

Next the babalawo would interpret the Odu Ifa to prescribe medicine and sacrifice necessary to ensure blessings and keep away negative forces. If the client has a problem, Ifa would reveal it and offer solutions. Ifa usually prescribes remedies including sacrifice to an Orisa.

Ifa is the word of Olodumare as interpreted by Orunmila(second below Olodumare, Consultant and adviser to Men and the Orishas.

Iwa(character) is one of perhaps the most important human endeavour taught in Odu Ifa, almost every stanza or verse has one portion dedicated to teaching the importance of Iwa-Pele(balance in character). Iwa transcend religious doctrine, it's central to every human being, and impacts communal, social and civic responsibility that our creator supports. Central to this is the theme of righteousness and moral behaviour.

Awo: A Priest in the Religion
Awo Alatese: A group of Awo having their own specialization within Ifa, mastering the aspect of Ifa preparations.
Oritse Udeji: Orunmila's name in Itsekiri
Obomila: initiate of Ifa in Bini
Apetebi: The Title given to a wife of a Babalawo

Ifa Priests, devotees and believers sometimes inherit names related to Orunmila and the Ifa system. Names like Ifadairo, Ifakoya, Ifabiyi, Ifadare, Ifabunmi, Ifaleye etc. but would have the "I" omitted to form Fadairo, Fakoya, Fabiyi, Fadare, Fabunmi, Faleye etc. there are also names like Awolalu, Awolowo, Awosika, etc. and Odufora, Odutola, Odugbemi etc.

The Ifa Divination system was added to the list of "Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity" by UNESCO
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:22pm On Oct 06, 2013
macof: You make a lot of sense here.
Our ancestors might have actually locked into some sort of cosmic knowledge of nature and the universe, but interpreted it to a case of living sprits running the universe.

Like in the case of Yemoja; she is associated with child birth, it is said that she sends her fishes to the womb(which belongs to her).

It has been scientifically proven that, when we are in our mothers womb, we appear fish-like, but evolve gradually.

And also, I think the womb is some sort of incubator, filled with Liquid substance, and until we grow to size, we just swim around like fishes.

How the Yoruba story rhymes with some latest scientific theories smiley

Thats what im trying to picture. It more than what we see in the surface. Good job dear
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 4:42pm On Oct 08, 2013
ABORISHA can be considered as the Religion of these beliefs: Yoruba traditional religion practice in south western Nigeria. anago practiced in benin republic, togo,and serrea Leone. Umbanda in brazil. Batuque in Uruguay. vodou in togo and haiti, Santeria in cuba. candomble in brazil. benin traditional religion in Edo sate, Nigeria. Itsekiri traditional religion . And many others in the Americas

The Orisas are series of deities under the Main God, Olodumare. The word “Orisha” has a deep meaning- “Ori” being the consciousness embedded on humans, and “Sha” which is the ultimate potential of that consciousness.
In this religion Life is circular, there’s no death. Death is seen as a transition from physical plain to the spiritual plain. The concept of life is that it is just a journey, a mission. Before an individual is born, he chooses his destiny with Olodumare in heaven; The goal in life is to fulfill the destiny, But when a child is born he forgets the destiny. And the purpose of the Religion is for the individual to learn and gain wisdom for life in the spiritual plain, and get all necessary help in achieving that destiny. The Yoruba believe that all of ones wrong and right decisions would be paid for with consequences.

The babalawo is the most important figure in the religion, his role is one of great respect and experience. The babalawo’s training is long and very rigorous. It takes about 7years during the training before he is released to practise Aborisha.

ANIMAL SACRIFICE: this is central to All forms of Aborisha, the animal serves as a sort of food for the Orisa it is the orisa’s source of energy, in order to build and maintain a personal relationship with the orisa.
The animals are killed by cutting the carotid arteries with a knife. The meat is cooked and ate as the orisa is believed to have gained his energy from the blood of the Animal.

Egyptian connection:
The history of the Yoruba religion seems very controversial, as there was really no mention of when the religion started or much about the origin of the Yoruba people, because the beginning of our existence was always noted as being from Ile-Ife. According to some historians, Ife is said to have been established a little over 1000yrs ago and that the yorubas might have migrated from a Middle eastern territory. The religion is said to be derived from Ancient Egyptian religion known as Kemet. The Ijebus for one do claim Nubian ancestry.

-Recent studies showed that Kemet religion was brought to Egypt by king Horus from a southern territory. And when the Egyptians died, they were buried with their faces facing South west(the direction of West Africa).
-Some Babalawos claim that orunmila journeyed to Egypt and established a religion there. And that some religious names are similar. Amon, Horise, Hemi etc.
-The Greeks referred to the Ancient Egyptians as ‘Hoi Aiguptos’ meaning black people- Aiguptos is the name “Egypt” is derived.
-Some Egyptian-style monuments such as the pyramids have been replicated in other parts of Africa. A typical example is the warri pyramid recorded in Roth(1671).
-Language similarities exist between Egyptian and Yoruba languages( over 500 similar words bearing identical meanings).
Egypt /Yoruba/English
Ere/Ere/python
Horise/Orisha/deity
Ta/Ta/sell
Sueg/suegbe/fool or slowpoke
Enru/Eru/fear
Khu/ku/die
hika/ika/wicked
Omi/omi/water
Dudu/dudu/relating to black
kan/eyo-kan/one
-The Yoruba regalia, in most cases are similar to the ones worn by Royal Egyptians.

Adesina/adeshina/adechina brings Ifa to Cuba
Adechina Remigio Herrera as he is called in Cuba is one of the most important founding fathers of Aborisa in Cuba. A Yoruba born initiated as a babalawo was enslaved and taken to Cuba in the mid 1820s. He swallowed his sacred Ikin-Ifa in order to take them with him across the Ocean. An intelligent and gifted man, He worked at a sugar mill until he gained his freedom in 1827. He later became a rich property owner in Havana suburb of Regla. Already a recognised Babalawo in the area, he had a large family and many godchildren. He set up a famous religious institution, The Cabildo of Yemaya(Yemoja’s name in Cuba) in 1860, which became a powerful centre of Orisa worship and Ifa divination. Along with his daughter, the famous Ocha priestess. He organised the annual street procession on the feast day of the Virgin of Regla(Yemoja), every september 7th. The playing of Ilu bata by Afrocuban drummers like Pablo Roche Okilakpa was to the honor of Yemaya as they danced around town.
Adechina also went back to Africa many times. On the first occasion it was to bring the sacred materials needed initiate Babalawos. He was surely a great man that helped carry Yoruba profound spiritual knowledge to the Americas.
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by philfearon(m): 7:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
All i see here is some fairytales found in Childrens story book with its cartoon Pics!!
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by macof(m): 7:39pm On Oct 11, 2013
philfearon: All i see here is some fairytales found in Childrens story book with its cartoon Pics!!
yeah but still more reasonable than your half baked Jewish religion called christianity
Re: Aborisa:yoruba Religion by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
Op

Is Ifa a religion or spirituality?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Will This My Act Of Good Lead Me To Hell? / Scientific Study Of Speaking In Tongues / Which Of The Ten Commandments Do You Find Difficult To Obey??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.