Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,644 members, 7,809,424 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (161) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516989 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
Thanks everyone for your contributions..

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:25pm On Aug 12, 2014
Yes I also believe John was a prophet who was call even before he was born. The question he answered was not "are you a prophet?" but "are you the prophet?" Showing the pharisees were asking after a particular prophet not just any prophet. John's answer probably stems from two reasons..,

1) He wasn't really unaware of his prophethood but at the same time he knew he wasn't the particular prophet they were asking after. Therefore he was right to answer "NO" to the question "are you the/that prophet?"

As for his prophethood, even his own father was inspired and prophecised it upon his birth when he said in Luke 1:76..."You my child will be called the prophet of the Most High God", ....

This was further affirmed by the belief of the jewish people ..Matt 14:5, and the words of Jesus Christ himself. Matt11:9.

2) A feeling of un-worthiness: John said something, "He is coming after me, and I am not good enough even to untie his sandals" John 1:27.

John did not just feel unworthy to be placed on per with Jesus but even to be considered his messenger--a prophet of God. He preferred only to be seen as "a voice" instead of a prophet.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
Syncan:

The passage you refer to, isn't it this one : " And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No".

Nne. Try take a look at the highlighted word there, some versions use the. It was specific...a particular prophet who they refer to as "the prophet". He wasn't that Prophet (most likely Elisha who got a double portion of Elijah's prophetic spirit... also due to 2Kings5:8 ). He was a prophet, but not that prophet.
This post actually brought out the bone of contention in the question John answered. Good one.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:39pm On Aug 12, 2014
SalC: This post actually brought out the bowl of contention in the question John answered. Good one.

Thanks Sis.

I am not sure there was any bowl in contention there, John wasn't know for his appetite, he actually fed on wild bees and honey, so he couldn't have been dragging any bowl with them cheesy.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2014
debbie: Many times we easily give up on a brother whom we feel is lost or derailed.Its not easy human-wise to go after that singular sheep....after all we have more than enough in the sheepfold,so naturally we will ask,why will i have to worry and disturb myself?But to our God,a soul is as important as the others.That is why he is all Loving and caring.
Personally i have at one point in my life given up on someone and even felt that some people i know will never change,but i realized that if God in his infinite mercy didnt give up on my.....why should i let go?
Syncan:

A splendid submission...we have no reason to let go.
Good!
But then how can we relate this to this passage
Matt 18:15-17

V17 talked about treating one who didn't listen as though he were a pagan or tax collector.
Isn't that an example of giving up on the said person?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:47pm On Aug 12, 2014
Syncan:

Thanks Sis.

I am not sure there was any bowl in contention there, John wasn't know for his appetite, he actually fed on wild bees and honey, so he couldn't have been dragging any bowl with them cheesy.
You can't be sure he wasn't hungry na tongue Smh cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:55pm On Aug 12, 2014
damerry:

Yes, he was a prophet in that like other prophets before him, he.....

1,He condemned the evil practices of his time and preached repentance. Luke 3 : 7-15

2. Kept the people's hopes of the coming of a messiah Luke 3: 15-17. (this is a consolation of better days to come as advocated by the prophets before him.)

John's consecration as prophet was right from his mother womb, as he was filled with the holy spirit even from his mother womb (Luke 1:15.) unlike other prophets who were called and consecrated by God in their latter lives. As a consequence, his prophetic mission was manifested inately (was inborn).

This can be seen as he came to the desert without being called, probably to seek truths by living a solitary life typical of monks and hermits.

There The word of God came upon him (his mission was activated) and he started preaching.

This (inborn prophetic mission) is what accounts for his oblivion of being a prophet. To make things a little bit pellucid, it can be said that..

he was programmed to be a prophet right from the bliss of his mother's womb. Thus, to John, his prophetic ministry seemed like living a normal life like everyone else.

Through out salvation history, the fall of Adam and the promise of salvation began at a broad base, form age to age events and prophets tapers gradually to the peak which was the birth of Christ.

It's like a pyramid where the fall of Adam and the promise of salvation represents the broad base, the higher the base, the higher the events and prophets of which John the Baptist ranks next to the peak (Jesus)

In John the holy spirit concludes his speaking (of repentance and consolation by the coming of a messiah) through the prophets. In John, the holy spirit also completes his work of making ready a people for Jesus.

just like in Jesus, God spoke at once, all that he had to say.

Thus, it can be said that after Jesus, john ranks next in the order of prophets.

Thats because he did things as a prophet

Yes.

like i earlier said, he did things inately hence he didn't consider his work dat special of being prophetic.

In the bible, we only heard of prophets before the birth of Jesus.
And from the deeds of the prophets, it can be inferred that prophets are

1. consecrated/called by God to condemn wrongs and preach repentance.

And most importantly...

2. They also point to a coming consolation in the person of Jesus.

Thus it's not a misnomer or a common title if someone calls himself a prophet @ this age. This is Because some of them were actually called by God and they also preach repentance and proclaim a coming consolation by the second coming of Jesus.

Yes, infact when we manifest those Gifts, we often take them as an occurrence of chance. It takes prayers and close observation to grasp and understand those gifts. Unfortunately, such is most hardly to come by in this secular age of ours.

*I stand to be corrected.*
Now this deserve that baccalaureate award cheesy
Good one!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 8:04pm On Aug 12, 2014
^1500 thanks smiley.

Did i mention that my head is beginning to swell? wink. Abeg oh.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2014
SalC: Yes I also believe John was a prophet who was call even before he was born. The question he answered was not "are you a prophet?" but "are you the prophet?" Showing the pharisees were asking after a particular prophet not just any prophet. John's answer probably stems from two reasons..,

1) He wasn't really unaware of his prophethood but at the same time he knew he wasn't the particular prophet they were asking after. Therefore he was right to answer "NO" to the question "are you the/that prophet?"

As for his prophethood, even his own father was inspired and prophecised it upon his birth when he said in Luke 1:76..."You my child will be called the prophet of the Most High God", ....

This was further affirmed by the belief of the jewish people ..Matt 14:5, and the words of Jesus Christ himself. Matt11:9.

2) A feeling of un-worthiness: John said something, "He is coming after me, and I am not good enough even to untie his sandals" John 1:27.

John did not just feel unworthy to be placed on per with Jesus but even to be considered his messenger--a prophet of God. He preferred only to be seen as "a voice" instead of a prophet.

Something new! Gaining new insights here. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 8:44pm On Aug 12, 2014
debbie: To everybody i say good morning,and specially to me sister Salc...thanks for this bible discussion.please i will like us to contribute and also learn too.
Now to the question of John the Baptist being a prophet or not.I think he saw himself to be unworthy to be called a prophet,remember he was acclaimed to be a mouth speaker or rather a fore-runner,who constantly announced the coming of the Messiah.
All his life he grew in the desert and ate what normal humans didnt eat per say.So whenever he entered the city to baptize and preach....the crowd called him a prophet,personally i think he didn't know he was actually prophesying. no human revealed to him all he said and did....yet he knew that the Savior was coming soonest.

Many a times we have gifts in us which we may not know about...but it takes the holy spirit and your ability to hear God to actually 1.Discover 2.Develop .3 Utilize these gifts all to the glory of the Father.
The story of the talents given to those three servants clearly makes us understand that one out of those three refused to understand and discover that he had a treasure in his hands.

I missed this post while i was still typing mine in the morning. You've succinctly said it all in the most articulated manner.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:13pm On Aug 12, 2014
debbie: To everybody i say good morning,and specially to me sister Salc...thanks for this bible discussion.please i will like us to contribute and also learn too.
Now to the question of John the Baptist being a prophet or not.I think he saw himself to be unworthy to be called a prophet,remember he was acclaimed to be a mouth speaker or rather a fore-runner,who constantly announced the coming of the Messiah.
All his life he grew in the desert and ate what normal humans didnt eat per say.So whenever he entered the city to baptize and preach....the crowd called him a prophet,personally i think he didn't know he was actually prophesying. no human revealed to him all he said and did....yet he knew that the Savior was coming soonest.

Many a times we have gifts in us which we may not know about...but it takes the holy spirit and your ability to hear God to actually 1.Discover 2.Develop .3 Utilize these gifts all to the glory of the Father.
The story of the talents given to those three servants clearly makes us understand that one out of those three refused to understand and discover that he had a treasure in his hands
Exactly, it is one thing to be gifted and another thing to discern. Nice one!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:21pm On Aug 12, 2014
More contributions are also welcome....

Next question loading..... smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:26pm On Aug 12, 2014
SalC: More contributions are also welcome....

Next question loading..... smiley
This discussion is very interesting
*Following very closely*
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:34pm On Aug 12, 2014
SalC:
Good!
But then how can we relate this to this passage
Matt 18:15-17

V17 talked about treating one who didn't listen as though he were a pagan or tax collector.
Isn't that an example of giving up on the said person?

This Sister sef, so Jesus treatment of the tax collectors was that of abandonment abi? In that speech of his, you should see the meaning of the word "where sin abounds, grace abounds more" Rom5:20. Consider what he told Peter later in Vs 21. How many times will you forgive?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:57pm On Aug 12, 2014
Kamsified:
*Following very closely*

Shift make I join you...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:58pm On Aug 12, 2014
Did John the baptist at any moment doubted Jesus?

The next day John saw Jesus coming to him, and said, "There is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. John 1:29

The next day John was standing there again with two of his disciples, when he saw Jesus walking by "There is the Lamb of God!" he said. John 1: 35-36

When John the Baptist heard in prison about the things that Christ was doing, he sent some of his disciples to him. "Tell us" they asked Jesus, "are you the one John said was going to come , or should we expect someone else? Matt 11:2-3

Isn't it interesting to note that the fore runner of the Messiah who also showed the Messiah to the world turned round to ask the Messiah if he is actually the one whom he haas been talking about or should they expect another? Even when he heard the father during Jesus' baptism .."This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased"

Now the question is...
1) Can we say John was doubting Jesus being the Messiah?

2) If yes why?

3) could it be that this passage was about something else and not doubt?

4) How can we relate the action of John to our own actions as Christians?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:12pm On Aug 12, 2014
Kamsified:
*Following very closely*

grin welcome

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:20pm On Aug 12, 2014
Syncan:

This Sister sef, so Jesus treatment of the tax collectors was that of abandonment abi? In that speech of his, you should see the meaning of the word "where sin abounds, grace abounds more" Rom5:20. Consider what he told Peter later in Vs 21. How many times will you forgive?
Lol it seems the forgiveness and grace has a point of saturation

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:34pm On Aug 12, 2014
SalC: Lol it seems the forgiveness and grace has a point of saturation

Yeah "Until seventy times seven" wink

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 5:32am On Aug 13, 2014
Rich4god: Shift make I join you...
*Shifts n offers him pen/paper*
Welcome My prince,lets just observe n take notes. A very interesting discussion going on here
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 8:30am On Aug 13, 2014
SalC: Now the question is...

1) Can we say John was doubting Jesus being the Messiah?

No, John did not doubt.

2) If yes why?

Not yes.

3) could it be that this passage was about something else and not doubt?

Yes.

John knew very well that Jesus was the messiah and That he (john) was the the last of the prophets.

However, to John and his disciples, Jesus was performing below or not according to the high expectations they all had of this long awaited messiah.

John sent his disciples to ask that question as their motivation had begun to wane, whatever be the answer from Jesus, in as much as Jesus will not deny that he is the messiah, will be a consolation and hope for better days ahead.

For john, that was a consolation as he knew that death was nigh. And he wished that his disciples who had come to him as means to find the end which they are seeking ( Jesus) will by that encounter with Jesus develop faith in Him and be incorporated as Jesus disciples.

4)How can we relate the action of John to our own actions as Christians?

Many a time our expectations of what we want/expect from God seems not coming or below expectations, Just like John, we need consolation to know that God is still with us anyway(a sign of better days to come). And like John disciples, we need a firm stand in God to be still and know that he is
God. Exodus 14:14

Good Morning. Wishing all a fulfilled day.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 1:51pm On Aug 13, 2014
@damerry.....you have given a new insight into those questions.
This is one of the problems we have in our present age,when we expect or pray we have an expectation,but when its like what we are looking at isnt what we are seeing.....we tend to start doubting God or even grow faint-hearted.But that does not change who God is.

Remember when John was beheaded,his own disciples scattered and some thought that was the end of their salvation,but the few that held on to their faith went ahead to accept the true Messiah.
Like my sister SalC asked......really many times we see ourselves doubting what God has told us and even his words,just because things turned out different.I assure you my brethren...THOSE WHO PUT THEIR TRUST IN THE LORD ARE LIKE MOUNT ZION WHICH CAN NOT BE SHAKEN.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by chozkiel(m): 2:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
ProphetUdeme: is mary also included in the trinity? Why bless her name.. She is dead long ago and her bones awaiting rapture
can u tell us were de bones are? holyidiot
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 6:36pm On Aug 13, 2014
Following from the side lines.

Good work everyone
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
*Yawns*......
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
*drives in with a bottle of schnapp*

hello salC
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
frankben: *drives in with a bottle of schnapp*

hello salC
You are now transgendered? shocked
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:33pm On Aug 13, 2014
SalC: You are now transgendered? shocked
lol.... Any problem with that? grin grin

francistony taught me anyway?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
frankben: lol.... Any problem with that? grin grin

francistony taught me anyway?

Lol. Taught you gini?

E jor, noe koba me fa.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
FrancisTony:

Lol. Taught you gini?

E jor, noe koba me fa.
nwanne, me no dey speak yoruba and i no dey hear am.... Wetin i know be say.... I learnt from a great master grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 14, 2014
frankben: nwanne, me no dey speak yoruba and i no dey hear am.... Wetin i know be say.... I learnt from a great master grin grin

A sim gi e kwu kwa na ihem emeghi.

Lol. Hope you understands Ibo.

Well, I never taught you anything. angry
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 14, 2014
FrancisTony:

A sim gi e kwu kwa na ihem emeghi.

Lol. Hope you understands Ibo.

Well, I never taught you anything. angry
i understand am wella....

How did you get to learn yoruba?

(1) (2) (3) ... (158) (159) (160) (161) (162) (163) (164) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.