Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,228 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (500) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (517068 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by mhizzcherry(f): 1:11pm On Jan 04, 2019
No he isnt
chikk:

You took that right from my mouth..

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:55pm On Jan 04, 2019
mhizzcherry:
Am a non catholic,who is planning to get married to a Catholic, a knight of St Johns,he wants us to get married in the Catholic church but my parents would never agree,what should I do plz
what denomination are your parents?

Has the matter of marriage come up in a "formal" way at home and they expressly rejected it or are you presuming from experience?

Marriage is considered an important thing for any Catholic, it is not just a ceremony or a contract, it is a sacrament, an effective sign and covenant ordained by God to give grace to the couple to sanctify their union and kick start for them a journey together to heaven.... It is almost impossible for you to find any serious catholic who would miss receiving this sacrament in the church.

You'll need to gauge your parents response on the issue, it may not be as bad as you think... If it is really that bad then you guys need to have a long discussion, find compromises etc. But I'll be blunt with you this is a hard one, many Catholics including myself will insist on a catholic marriage.

I pray it all works out well for you guys... Have you talked to your spouse about your parents position in the matter?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:01pm On Jan 04, 2019
mhizzcherry:
No o,he has been there right from when he was a teenager,after his dad who was a Knight died,he is the first born, i think he cant get to a. Certain position till he is married
I'm not an expert in knighthood...does anyone here know if it passes from father to son? Don't think I have noticed that before
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:16pm On Jan 04, 2019
mhizzcherry:
No o,he has been there right from when he was a teenager,after his dad who was a Knight died,he is the first born, i think he cant get to a. Certain position till he is married

Well, that's not the point of your query anyway.

As per your question, the post by Ubenedictus is a place to start. First, where to wed shouldn't be the first thing. To help you with his post, here is a simple checklist.

Has the marriage process commenced formally?
Do you intend attending the catholic church afterwards?
Is the wedding the only thing your parents are against?
Have they even expressed their objection openly?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:23pm On Jan 04, 2019
Ubenedictus:
I'm not an expert in knighthood...does anyone here know if it passes from father to son? Don't think I have noticed that before

Without delving much into this, we in these parts tend to exaggerate things a lot. Sometimes we can't even distinguish rules from fashionable. Eg Married deacons in Nigeria... cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:49pm On Jan 04, 2019
mhizzcherry:
Am a non catholic,who is planning to get married to a Catholic, a knight of St Johns,he wants us to get married in the Catholic church but my parents would never agree,what should I do plz

I did a little checking on your profile just to make sure you are not trolling... Seems you do have a genuine case.

You wrote somewhere that your parents were pastors... That usually complicates issues since some pastors hate the Catholic Church.
You also mentioned somewhere that you have no problem converting, what are your parents reaction to that?

You also wrote something about catechism classes for baptism and confirmation, have you finally began? How is it?

What stage will you say you marriage thing is now, really serious or casual?

Again is your spouse aware of your parents reservation? What does he say?

Sorry for the plenty questions I need a background if I will be able to speak objectively here.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 3:05pm On Jan 04, 2019
Syncan:

Without delving much into this, we in these parts tend to exaggerate things a lot. Sometimes we can't even distinguish rules from fashionable. Eg Married deacons in Nigeria... cheesy
on a lighter note, a friend once told me that after the VAT II council married deacons were actually a thing in kogi state and they still exist there but it seems the Nigerian bishops put a lid on that some years ago and no more are been ordained
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2019
Ubenedictus:
on a lighter note, a friend once told me that after the VAT II council married deacons were actually a thing in kogi state and they still exist there but it seems the Nigerian bishops put a lid on that some years ago and no more are been ordained

Oh is that so. You can see why you'll excuse a Nigerian Catholic for not knowing its possible.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 10:24pm On Jan 04, 2019
Ayam not even understanding...

Please you people should explain Abeg.

Agreement between both partners and families aside, I want to understand the lady. Knighthood as I know it isn't for young single men (to put it simply). Please how is the man a knight? I want to understand that before I Say what I'm thinking.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:42pm On Jan 04, 2019
chikk:

Agreement between both partners and families aside, I want to understand the lady. Knighthood as I know it isn't for young single men (to put it simply). Please how is the man a knight? I want to understand that before I Say what I'm thinking.
I dey your back on this one... Want to learn too...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2019
Happy New year brethren... And compliment of the season.

Salc and kamsy, where my Christmas rice.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:17am On Jan 05, 2019
Happy new year brethren. The best of the years so far.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:18am On Jan 05, 2019
It's page 500 again. If I no post here na wetin I gain?
smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:22am On Jan 05, 2019
Ubenedictus:

Well I can't say am sure but sometime last year a friend of mine posted that he was made a knight of St Johns after his father.
I don't know if that means it was passed down from father to son or he merely decided to be one; following his father's footsteps.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:23am On Jan 05, 2019
Rich4god:
Happy New year brethren... And compliment of the season.

Salc and kamsy, where my Christmas rice.
Sorry it is finished. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:48am On Jan 05, 2019
SalC:
smiley
lol, someone already stole the first post from us all.

Sorry
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 11:57am On Jan 05, 2019
SalC:
smiley

They dey share kpuff kpuff for commenters on page 500?

Ife adikwa egwu o
Re: A Thread For Catholics by mhizzcherry(f): 8:37pm On Jan 05, 2019
He has never been married tho,I also do have a friend in the knighthood he was recommended by the bishop,he is 26 and not married too
Ubenedictus:
Re: A Thread For Catholics by mhizzcherry(f): 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2019
I asked him this and he said the Bishop also recommends young men using his discretion
chikk:

Re: A Thread For Catholics by mhizzcherry(f): 8:48pm On Jan 05, 2019
They don't hate pastors as my mum was a catholic bfr getting married,her family are still Catholics
My mum doesn't have a problem with me converting as I mentioned earlier she was a catholic, since I plan to join charismatic
I had started the classes then but stopped.
Serious,he don kuku come today with wine to make his intentions known.
Definitely, he knows my parents won't agree for a catholic wedding, he is actually scared abt it although he said if it raises too much issues we might just do the traditional and a reception and maybe fix the wedding after then
I actually love attending Catholic church,I av a rosary and a scapler,most times for St Anthony of Padua to interced for me when I lose something,damn it works everytime,e,maybe because I have faith that it would,sometimes I pray for St Rita to interceded,am planning to say the Novena but I dunno if it wud work for Non catholics,if u can answer that plz do
Ubenedictus:

I did a little checking on your profile just to make sure you are not trolling... Seems you do have a genuine case.

You wrote somewhere that your parents were pastors... That usually complicates issues since some pastors hate the Catholic Church.
You also mentioned somewhere that you have no problem converting, what are your parents reaction to that?

You also wrote something about catechism classes for baptism and confirmation, have you finally began? How is it?

What stage will you say you marriage thing is now, really serious or casual?

Again is your spouse aware of your parents reservation? What does he say?

Sorry for the plenty questions I need a background if I will be able to speak objectively here.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by mhizzcherry(f): 9:22pm On Jan 05, 2019
We even stay in separate states,like I stay in Lagos while he is in Delta.It wud av been much more easier to convince them if we both stay in same state,I really dunno if u get my point or how best to explain it since I am explaining on chats
Ubenedictus:
what denomination are your parents?

Has the matter of marriage come up in a "formal" way at home and they expressly rejected it or are you presuming from experience?

Marriage is considered an important thing for any Catholic, it is not just a ceremony or a contract, it is a sacrament, an effective sign and covenant ordained by God to give grace to the couple to sanctify their union and kick start for them a journey together to heaven.... It is almost impossible for you to find any serious catholic who would miss receiving this sacrament in the church.

You'll need to gauge your parents response on the issue, it may not be as bad as you think... If it is really that bad then you guys need to have a long discussion, find compromises etc. But I'll be blunt with you this is a hard one, many Catholics including myself will insist on a catholic marriage.

I pray it all works out well for you guys... Have you talked to your spouse about your parents position in the matter?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:51am On Jan 06, 2019
chikk:

Please note that we have a few standard requirements to join The Knights which are:

1. Roman Catholic man over the age of 16.

2. That you do not belong to any secret society forbidden by the Catholic Church.

3. That you be recommended by your Pastor and a Knight of. St. John in good standing.

This seem to be the basic written requirements, but it's not common in Nigeria to see single young men as knights, because it's like "class thing" in Nigeria.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:36am On Jan 06, 2019
mhizzcherry:
We even stay in separate states,like I stay in Lagos while he is in Delta.It wud av been much more easier to convince them if we both stay in same state,I really dunno if u get my point or how best to explain it since I am explaining on chats
I do understand ur point, I'm a little surprised though that your mum would also be against a catholic wedding.
it is usually a bad idea to do the trad rites with reception and postpone d white wedding because it comes with d expectation of living as husband and wife which is not right.

Ask your guy if he is willing to be married in a protestant church. what denomination did you grow up in? there may be a compromise somewhere?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:48am On Jan 06, 2019
mhizzcherry:
They don't hate pastors as my mum was a catholic bfr getting married,her family are still Catholics
My mum doesn't have a problem with me converting as I mentioned earlier she was a catholic, since I plan to join charismatic
Definitely, he knows my parents won't agree for a catholic wedding, he is actually scared abt it although he said if it raises too much issues we might just do the traditional and a reception and maybe fix the wedding after then
I actually love attending Catholic church,I av a rosary and a scapler,most times for St Anthony of Padua to interced for me when I lose something,damn it works everytime,e,maybe because I have faith that it would,sometimes I pray for St Rita to interceded,am planning to say the Novena but I dunno if it wud work for Non catholics,if u can answer that plz do

If St. Anthony works for you as a protestant, why do you nurse a doubt that St. Rita would? I am glad to see that you're one who actually loves the church.

On the matter of your wedding, please stop entertaining fear. Roses grow on thorn for a reason, you have shown love for the man and his church too, then make up your mind that you're going to Marry him. Pray with faith that everything will turn out fine, it will surely. If your dad could pull your mum out of the Catholic Church, I doubt he will be able to withstand pressure to allow you wed in the Catholic Church. Why am finding it difficult to make suggestion is because it's all yet based on speculation. Your Father has not accepted the guy and now says wedding in Catholic church is his problem. You can actually go in line with having a traditional marriage that is loud in your father's place and a quiet wedding in the Catholic church same day or separate days. There are several ways to go about this and keep everyone satisfied, but please do not compromise a catholic wedding, it's for your own good spiritually and socially. You can always receive help and guidance from the Parish Priest of any Parish you attend. If you tarry here long enough, you may as well get advice as you move along and face each obstacle step by step.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 1:54pm On Jan 06, 2019
Syncan:

If St. Anthony works for you as a protestant, why do you nurse a doubt that St. Rita would? I am glad to see that you're one who actually loves the church.

On the matter of your wedding, please stop entertaining fear. Roses grow on thorn for a reason, you have shown love for the man and his church too, then make up your mind that you're going to Marry him. Pray with faith that everything will turn out fine, it will surely. If your dad could pull your mum out of the Catholic Church, I doubt he will be able to withstand pressure to allow you wed in the Catholic Church. Why am finding it difficult to make suggestion is because it's all yet based on speculation. Your Father has not accepted the guy and now says wedding in Catholic church is his problem. You can actually go in line with having a traditional marriage that is loud in your father's place and a quiet wedding in the Catholic church same day or separate days. There are several ways to go about this and keep everyone satisfied, but please do not compromise a catholic wedding, it's for your own good spiritually and socially. You can always receive help and guidance from the Parish Priest of any Parish you attend. If you tarry here long enough, you may as well get advice as you move along and face each obstacle step by step.

Fr Syncan has spoken...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by mhizzcherry(f): 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2019
I grew up in a Pentecostal church.I think she is against it because they would have to travel all the way to Asaba for the white
Ubenedictus:
I do understand ur point, I'm a little surprised though that your mum would also be against a catholic wedding.
it is usually a bad idea to do the trad rites with reception and postpone d white wedding because it comes with d expectation of living as husband and wife which is not right.

Ask your guy if he is willing to be married in a protestant church. what denomination did you grow up in? there may be a compromise somewhere?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:30pm On Jan 06, 2019
mhizzcherry:
I grew up in a Pentecostal church.I think she is against it because they would have to travel all the way to Asaba for the white
Comfortable transport and accomodation can be arranged na...
OR he can do it in a catholic church close to where your parents live.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:42pm On Jan 06, 2019
chikk:

Fr Syncan has spoken...
indeed he has.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:58pm On Jan 06, 2019
chikk:

Fr Syncan has spoken...

Ubenedictus:
indeed he has.

Shaking my head.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Mickey02(m): 10:32am On Jan 11, 2019
mhizzcherry:
As with other prayer, sayin NOVENA wil do.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 1:01pm On Jan 11, 2019
Syncan:

Shaking my head.

Why are you shaking it? Did you not speak and a very nice one too?

grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:59am On Jan 12, 2019
jnrbayano:

Why are you shaking it? Did you not speak and a very nice one too?

grin

I know say you go join them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (502) (503) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.