Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,054 members, 7,863,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 03:04 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80551 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
sCun: So when Mgbuocha dey tell you say even with your big 2:1 job no dey, you think say na lie? All my guys don run go do masters for UK, Germany etc. The painful thing is that they are likely to come back to Nigeria after the masters. What happens then?

Nwanne employers they worship degree,unless you go to a cheap school.

My HR when I dey serve said one thing get a cheap degree get a cheap job.

Instead of me to go to a school in EU or america that is not amongst the top 50 in engineering worldwide.

I go use that money enter mainmarket.

Anyway guy abeg you get Mbaocha number,I need reference from the guy or anyother lecturer wey you get their number. I'm in Lag I no fit go Owerri abeg
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Chinwem(f): 8:14pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nice thread @ babyosisi .........very practical advice.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I really don't read good reviews about Cleveland or anywhere in Ohio for that matter. I heard there's a lot of segregation in that city just like in Detroit.

I work in Cleveland live in Euclid city, anyway Cleveland is much better than before the city is becoming safe more lively, a lot of young couples here, and people from different cultures are here. Jobs are a lot here. I went to college in texas that place is more racist than Cleveland. My people live in Houston. I almost went to Texas tech at Lubbock but i transferred to Cleveland State univ with my gf. Texas is really hot there is no even air. The transportation in Cleveland is better than Dallas or Houston. As a student that time i have to beg to get ride to common walmart..lol it was stressful sha. Anyway i just love that there more Nigerians there and the place is cheap.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Mintayo(m): 8:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah:

For those that do not have a first degree it is a must, you can get schorlarships on line for your masters simply by applying, the higher your G.P the better your chances
thanks man,i finished witha 2.1.i am planning to go for public health,do u have any idea on how i can go about that?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Correct me if i'm wrong. You studied Political science, right?
You're right
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 8:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
sCun: I can't believe none of you who quoted him understood what he meant by ''I am my own local government chairman'' he simply meant that he provides electricity, water and security for himself and doesn't depend on government for anything. Most middle income and wealthy Nigerians do the same.

well said, but it could be either way, you just pointed that out, twill be better if he can clearify himself. By default, it means he is the LG's chairman, the other meaning can be better constructed.

The bolded is a lie, most? Nigeria would have been better than what we have now

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by rafcrown(m): 8:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
With Bachelor and Masters degrees in Guidance and Counselling , British Passport and member of Counselling Associations in UK/USA,any chance of getting good job?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
babestell: Babyosisi, Ogugua, Phema and other contributors thanks for good job you guys are doing.
For those still in school wishing to port, another route is to graduate with a first class and then even b4 graduation start applying to universities. USA schools like to attract the best talent and if you impress them , you can get a full scholarship. My school mates who graduated with first class in maths are all abroad in good schools, 2 are even in Harvard. Those who didn't got good jobs at home.
Education I think is a good route to go
Hoping to graduate with a first class by 2014 if ASUU comply though am studying industrial chemistry in futo...which universities offer good scholarships and is it possible to start applying now..or taking the GRE.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 8:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Look at this eediot
If the thread is not for you why don't you buzz off
Believe me there are people here who would snap your thieving neck if they could lay their hands on your tolotolo neck
Ewu
Don't make me keep my Bible one side and dip into my bag of disgust for politricksians and descend on you

It is people like you that are making these youths seek alternatives
Why are Nigerians dying from snake bites and heat stroke and turning to okporoko in the sahara desert just to get to morocco?
Why are our women doing ashawo in Togo and Ivory Coast to support their aged parents at home
Don't let me descend on you right now

Thanks . I don't hurl insults and abuses. I don't know anything about the people you are trying to describe but if u read my post which I believe was written in everyday english, you will realize that all I said was that you were working so hard to convince people to come over when I know for a certainty that people are making it back home. Now if you have issues with that, deal with it. I will not descend to the level of throwing mudslings and gutter language with you. Perhaps that is part of your American orientation which is why I refuse to be sucked up . As for people wishing to go through the Sahara desert, its their choice and as for praying for me for evil to befall me, please I beg of you to try. The America you so praise will bring up a bum that will put a hole in your head. In God I trust every other ranting ant we suspect and deal with as a spy and an agent. Again I hope you are not one.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by zomby(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
Tricks to a comfortable life in USA: (First, you can not mix it up, you must pick either you want to live in Nigerian or USA)

1. Have 1 or 2 college degrees
2. Live in a very good neighborhood
3. 2 or 3 Nigerian friends between you and your wife is more than enough
4. Marry a Nigerian ch1ck (an american Nigerian) that knows very little about Nigeria or Nigerian culture or an American (white or black) with a solid background
5. Cut your coat according to your size.
6. Exercise and eat healthy food.
7. Keep a good job
8. As you get older start your own business.
9. Visit Nigeria but focus more on living or maintaining a comfortable life style in USA
10. Take advantage of many great things around you, travel as much as possible within USA.
11. Play golf or discover other hobbies that give you pleasure and relaxation you desire.
12. Spend quality time with your family by being completely involved.
13. Save your money as much as possible, but don't deprive yourself in the process.
14. Crave for quality and not quantity in everything that you do.
15. Go to church or mosque (which ever works for you) regularly.

Stay cool and leave the rest for God.

Side Note: For me, Naija remains the place to be; can't trade it for anything else.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by rafcrown(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
@babyosisi
You are really doing a great and nice job here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 8:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah:

well said, but it could be either way, you just pointed that out, twill be better if he can clearify himself. By default, it means he is the LG's chairman, the other meaning can be better constructed.

Thank you sir. Good to know there are people who can still read and comprehend. I am neithera politician nor have I ever held a political office. Indeed I have only voted once in my lifetime as an SUG officer and even then I voted only for myself as a welfare officer. As for the vilification from the rest of the posters, its welcome. I trained as a lawyer and that is all I have known how to do in my career. Again thanks for having a good head.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dustydee: 8:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah:

Mr local government chairman, please answer the questions below;
1. Whose money are you using to do those things aforementioned?
Definately not your own hard earned money cos you are a politician and we all know politicians are theives

2.You are wise enough to state what u've done for your community which i do commend only if it were true, kindly state the local government where you are serving and if possible your name, so we can confirm.

3.Stats don't lie, over 80% of Nigerian youths wants to leave this country cos of your failure, you said you are fixing lights, do residents enjoy 24hrs light in your area? How good is the road? water supply? Education? Job opportunities?... In your community and Nigeria at large?

If you follow this thread you'll know better that no one is trying to preach another man's land, no one will desire to leave nigeria if it is well developed enough, naija is a failed country. Since i was born, even before i was born we've not been able to acheive the primary things like good roads, electricity, quality education, good leadership...
Its still this same thing our politicians preaches when campaigning, same they will preach come 2015, a country with no realistic hope for the younger generations, many corpers released into the labour market with no realistic employment, cos we have a failed leadership, and you are part of them if your claims are true, and you have the guts to brag of your various sojourn to europe here. Next time before you type think with your brain, but what will you expect from someone whose IQ is the same as his shoe size?
Now go back and read his post again and apologize to him. He never stated that he is a politician. He meant he provides the basic amenities for himself.
@Justwise . . same goes for you too.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by africanchilds: 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Connecticut is Pretty cool -
I heard New York and New Jersey allows some without Papers, inside assistance.

Needing any info abt Connecticut, PM me
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 8:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
Considering you made no point, I consider your post a figment of your warped imagination and not deserving of a response. Have a wonderful evening.

Stegomiah:

Mr local government chairman, please answer the questions below;
1. Whose money are you using to do those things aforementioned?
Definately not your own hard earned money cos you are a politician and we all know politicians are theives

2.You are wise enough to state what u've done for your community which i do commend only if it were true, kindly state the local government where you are serving and if possible your name, so we can confirm.

3.Stats don't lie, over 80% of Nigerian youths wants to leave this country cos of your failure, you said you are fixing lights, do residents enjoy 24hrs light in your area? How good is the road? water supply? Education? Job opportunities?... In your community and Nigeria at large?

If you follow this thread you'll know better that no one is trying to preach another man's land, no one will desire to leave nigeria if it is well developed enough, naija is a failed country. Since i was born, even before i was born we've not been able to acheive the primary things like good roads, electricity, quality education, good leadership...
Its still this same thing our politicians preaches when campaigning, same they will preach come 2015, a country with no realistic hope for the younger generations, many corpers released into the labour market with no realistic employment, cos we have a failed leadership, and you are part of them if your claims are true, and you have the guts to brag of your various sojourn to europe here. Next time before you type think with your brain, but what will you expect from someone whose IQ is the same as his shoe size?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sCun: 8:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
dustydee:
Now go back and read his post again and apologize to him. He never stated that he is a politician. He meant he provides the basic amenities for himself.
I wonder why people didn't understand it. Is English that difficult?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
Kris d don.:
@ op, reading this whole conversations got me real scared. Though i'm not planning to travel to the States but peradventure the opportunity comes, does it mean nothing for me? I studied Local Government and Development Studies in A.B.U

What the heck is that?? grin

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah:

dustydee:
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by darkman200: 8:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
@babyosisi
Great job!

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Empiree: 8:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
R
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2013
Empiree: Many of you guys talking about studying computer, information tech or anything that has to do with technology you really need to rethink that step. You think you know tech better than these folks? You better leave tech for whiteys and law enforcement. Go for anything related to medical. You have plenty fields to choose from therein. I graduated in information tech in 2008 in GA. I realized that I did wrong course. I re- enrolled the following yr in medical and dentistry. Forget about tech. Study tech for your personal purposes. Me no sabi all these universities this n that. Education does not guarantee anything. Its an opportunity that may never come. My White friend, Nick, back in 2007 told me education is bullshit. I laughed. I don't blame him at all. As for the guy who wants to spend 3.5m to get masters in US, na u sabi. I wont go for that. I would buy me a land and fence it. The way that 3.5 came another 3.5 would come make I start building my little bungalow than bring 3.5 to study masters that doesn't guarantee future just my thought fellas

... and there is no 'white' in medical field?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 8:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
dustydee:

Thanks bro. Blessed will be the day when we see others as selfless and deceit less as we presume in our imaginations. There are still people here who work hard to make a living, our infrastructure may not be as good as what is obtainable in the west but we believe that there is a silver.lining out there. It may take time, but it will surely come to pass. UK colonized America, I hope I am right and America is upwards of 200 years of independence. Nigeria got independence in 1960, our rulers may not be doing well but the environment and will power will change things for the better. You may choose what to believe.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 8:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
Those Nigerians here condemning America have low self esteem. They have the blackman syndrome (crab in a basket). I have met senior software engineers in Cisco, Apple, ,Microsoft and exxon Mobil that had their college degrees in Nigeria before proceeding for Masters degree in the United States. If you are intelligent and hard working, the opportunity is abundant out here. My retirement plan package is set for life. A friend came here three years ago for masters in an engineering field, he was offered 150k as his salary and a sign in bonus of 10k. I am not talking about the stock options given to him by Microsoft. Ask him if he would like to relocate to Nigeria?Dude looked like Somalian refugee when he first came to states, as we speak he doesn't fit in his old clothes. Education is the only way out and don't listen to failures like Ozo-emeka

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by 25omega(m): 8:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Empiree: Many of you guys talking about studying computer, information tech or anything that has to do with technology you really need to rethink that step. You think you know tech better than these folks? You better leave tech for whiteys and law enforcement. Go for anything related to medical. You have plenty fields to choose from therein. I graduated in information tech in 2008 in GA. I realized that I did wrong course. I re- enrolled the following yr in medical and dentistry. Forget about tech. Study tech for your personal purposes. Me no sabi all these universities this n that. Education does not guarantee anything. Its an opportunity that may never come. My White friend, Nick, back in 2007 told me education is bullshit. I laughed. I don't blame him at all. As for the guy who wants to spend 3.5m to get masters in US, na u sabi. I wont go for that. I would buy me a land and fence it. The way that 3.5 came another 3.5 would come make I start building my little bungalow than bring 3.5 to study masters that doesn't guarantee future just my thought fellas
i work in the tech field in Virginia. So what is the issue?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 8:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for your advice but no thanks. Technology is the future and redundancy in other spheres has necessitated the need for more technologically savvy people, so i encourage more people to go into that field.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
hardbody:

Thanks bro. Blessed will be the day when we see others as selfless and deceit less as we presume in our imaginations. There are still people here who work hard to make a living, our infrastructure may not be as good as what is obtainable in the west but we believe that there is a silver.lining out there. It may take time, but it will surely come to pass. UK colonized America, I hope I am right and America is upwards of 200 years of independence. Nigeria got independence in 1960, our rulers may not be doing well but the environment and will power will change things for the better. You may choose what to believe.
Compare Nigeria to those other countries that obtained their independence same year as Nigeria. Nigerians mentality will only uplift Nigeria. When your leaders stop seeking health care in America amd the UK things will change for good. I am not talking about importing a resource you guys have abundantly.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 9:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
[quote author=sCun] I wonder why people didn't understand it. Is English that difficult?[/quote

Thanks sCUN. I think it is known as perception. No ill feelings or bad blood. To every one his own.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Empiree: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
[
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Thanks for your advice but no thanks. Technology is the future and redundancy in other spheres has necessitated the need for more technologically savvy people, so i encourage more people to go into that field.
That dude is not educated, you can tell from his poor usage of English language. Texas is an oil rich state yet California, a tech hub is the 5th largest economy in the world.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dustydee: 9:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
@Justwise
Do the right thing - Apologize to the guy. You guys falsely accused the man of obtaining his properties through fraudulent means.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (34) (Reply)

Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean / Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.