Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,523 members, 7,861,518 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:38 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80543 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
bootlegaz:
That dude is not educated, you can tell from his poor usage of English language. Texas is an oil rich state yet California, a tech hub is the largest economy in the world.

California is actually the largest sub-national economy in the world, with a GDP of over $1 trillion. Bear in mind that the population of California is 33 million, yet it's GDP is more than twice the size of Nigeria's.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls, what's EEE?

Imperial college is the creme de la creme of British higher education alongside dem Cambridge and Oxdford. Cranfield is also a respected school...If your problem is funding then i think the US is a sure bet. There are cheaper schools in the US with lower standard of education compared to Imperial or Cranfield. It all depends on how low you're willing to go as far as funding and quality is concerned.

EEE is Electronics and Electrical Engineering
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
[quote author=babyosisi]

I will tell it like it is
It is not a bed of roses but people are living well here
If it is so hard for you,go home and try your luck
If you don't succeed here you probably couldn't succeed in Nigeria either[/quote. Hmmm...one tin i really like about threads like dis;other people point of view....u seee ozo emeka,i.e the guy †ђA̶̲̥̅† depicts the oda side of america wasn't like tryna dampen anybody's dream bout comin 2 america...i tink,wot he was tryna do is let you in on a little reality in america,so †ђA̶̲̥̅† if you"re comin,u"ll be fully informed aπϑ forearmed....its gettin argumentative now though,but i dnt tink emeka should go with the argument becos he"ll end up goin 2 the extreme in tryna defend his supposed postion,wich is nt the extreme of wot he is tryna portray...he simply gave an insight into the other side...2 be warned is 2 be fore armed abi....den the empowering point of view frm babyosisi...well,i stil tink it has 2 do with everybody's perspective aπϑ attitude towards life...@ least if we wanna cum,we shuld av a plan aπϑ nt js tink †ђA̶̲̥̅† once we leave nigeria,we"ve made it,lyk the sterostyped typical naija way of tinkin...(He's now in america...haaa...he don make am)guess u undastnd †ђA̶̲̥̅† type....well,me sef get my own personal questions too sha ooo...cos @ a tym,2go d america sef come dey fear me as i don manage get one secured job 4 naija....wetin i wan knw be dis....can it get any beta or magical in a place lyk america...u knw,the whole american dream aπϑ all...me go like marry americana. ]
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 9:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

California is actually the largest sub-national economy in the world, with a GDP of over $1 trillion. Bear in mind that the population of California is 33 million, yet it's GDP is more than twice the size of Nigeria's.
Sillicon valley(Tech) and Hollywood contributes a huge chunk to California's wealth.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Sillicon valley(Tech) and Hollywood contributes a huge chunk to California's wealth.
Yep, Hollywood alone has created tons of jobs in the entertainment industry.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:15pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
Real estate, Hollywood, Agriculture,Petroleum and Natural gas.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by oseo1(m): 9:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Going through all 17 pages of this thread has been quite interesting. the banter has been great, however i must say that there is some truth on both sides (nigeria vs america). I lived in the states for quite a few years and relocated back to Nigeria in 2010, people thought I was crazy for it because i just packed up my whole life and moved without a guarantee of a job or anything.

For those looking to move to the states going the F1(student visa) route, the best advice i can give you is this - "do your research" don't apply to just one school, apply to several, do not apply to a 2 year college, junior or community college because you will NOT get a visa. The embassy only issues F1 visas to students planning to attend 4-year colleges (there are a few exceptions however i doubt that you will be one). choose your school for good reasons, the strength of their academic programs, the communities they are in, the research opportunities and things like that. if you are going to study medicine apply to schools that are known for medicine, yes you may not get in or may chose another school bbut still apply because when you have your interview they WILL ask you is you applied to the best schools in whatever field you choose to study in and it looks better if you did apply even if you did not get in. also apply for scholarships, most colleges have scholarships you can apply for. if you are on financial aid the strength of your bank statement is not as important. When you go for your interview if you know your onions about why you chose the school and the course you are very likely to get your visa.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by oseo1(m): 9:24pm On Oct 17, 2013
CFCfan:

funny thing is that the state is broke ..........go figure
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:26pm On Oct 17, 2013
ose_o: Going through all 17 pages of this thread has been quite interesting. the banter has been great, however i must say that there is some truth on both sides (nigeria vs america). I lived in the states for quite a few years and relocated back to Nigeria in 2010, people thought I was crazy for it because i just packed up my whole life and moved without a guarantee of a job or anything.

For those looking to move to the states going the F1(student visa) route, the best advice i can give you is this - "do your research" don't apply to just one school, apply to several, do not apply to a 2 year college, junior or community college because you will NOT get a visa. The embassy only issues F1 visas to students planning to attend 4-year colleges (there are a few exceptions however i doubt that you will be one). choose your school for good reasons, the strength of their academic programs, the communities they are in, the research opportunities and things like that. if you are going to study medicine apply to schools that are known for medicine, yes you may not get in or may chose another school bbut still apply because when you have your interview they WILL ask you is you applied to the best schools in whatever field you choose to study in and it looks better if you did apply even if you did not get in. also apply for scholarships, most colleges have scholarships you can apply for. if you are on financial aid the strength of your bank statement is not as important. When you go for your interview if you know your onions about why you chose the school and the course you are very likely to get your visa.

Great point but most Nigerians and other Africans move back home cos they fell out of status. So, what are you doing now in Nigeria? Most people that moved back to Nigeria also have the wrong perception before moving. They thought they will land a great job in Mobil , Shell and others.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 9:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
Empiree:

You chose to narrow the scope. I don't have to say white folks are in medical field. This is 2013 bro. Think bigger and faster. Me no have no time writing a page to make mai sef clear. I dey med field and 60% if mai co workers are white, mostly chicks.

You are not making any sense

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by laoludavid(m): 9:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
Do people that study agriculture have any chance over there. Pls i need a sincere advice cos i am an agric student(NCE) planning to go there
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by oseo1(m): 9:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
bootlegaz:
Great point but most Nigerians and other Africans move back home cos they fell out of status. So, what are you doing now in Nigeria? Most people that moved back to Nigeria also have the wrong perception before moving. They thought they will land a great job in Mobil , Shell and others.

Very good point about people moving with the wrong perception. When i came home i knew it would not be easy to get a job because of my background however i weighed my options and being close to family meant more to me than anything else.

I currently run two of my own businesses, one is a concierge company, I basically help people live without thinking, i like to think of myself as a life manager grin i handle everything from bil payments, home and office repairs/maintenance, automotive and generator repairs, purchasing both local and international, to the simple stuff like concert tickets. I also have a media company that does photography and videography.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
ose_o:

funny thing is that the state is broke ..........go figure
Yes, the State govt is broke. That's why Liberals are even advocating for increases in the state income tax.
Another irony is that California has consistently been ranked as the worst US State to do business in for the last 8 years or thereabout.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hptouch2: 9:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
This is an interesting post. One of the best thing that could ever happen to you in this part of the world (North America) is having an education. Already had a BSc in Nigeria. Find my way to Canada, did a Masters, and then got a scholarship for a PhD. After then worked with one of the top research group in the world in a university in Canada, then offered a job in US by one of the top five company who also filed my green card for me. Actually I was offered a green card through the outstanding researcher EB1 program. Fast-forward, I walked away from my job for career reasons, as the company wanted to change my career path totally (money is not everything). In truth, that was more reason for me to follow my dream and do what I'd always dreamt of. Though though. Just yesterday my bank just gave me 6-months grace period not to pay my home mortgage because I am going through a tough time. The question is would I have got all these if had stayed in Nigeria? Ironically, Nigeria is still part of the dream I am trying to actualize.

Nobody says its going to be easy .... I remember two of my former white colleagues ganged up with me informing my supervisor that they have issue with my accent. Meanwhile I was the best candidate for the job interview where I gave 45-min presentation; reason for the gang-up was simply because I do not do office-politics which is common in corporate America. In a nutshell there are thorns every where. But be careful what you read. I have been out of work for over a year (not that I am really looking for one now) but I still drive my 2012 Mercedes Benz GL450 and still have a roof over my head.

My people. Its a crazy and confusing world, but chose your path and stick with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
hptouch2: This is an interesting post. One of the best thing that could ever happen to you in this part of the world (North America) is having an education. Already had a BSc in Nigeria. Find my way to Canada, did a Masters, and then got a scholarship for a PhD. After then worked with one of the top research group in the world in a university in Canada, then offered a job in US by one of the top five company who also filed my green card for me. Actually I was offered a green card through the outstanding researcher EB1 program. Fast-forward, I walked away from my job for career reasons, as the company wanted to change my career path totally (money is not everything). In truth, that was more reason for me to follow my dream and do what I'd always dreamt of. Though though. Just yesterday my bank just gave me 6-months grace period not to pay my home mortgage because I am going through a tough time. The question is would I have got all these if had stayed in Nigeria? Ironically, Nigeria is still part of the dream I am trying to actualize.

Nobody says its going to be easy .... I remember two of my former white colleagues ganged up with me informing my supervisor that they have issue with my accent. Meanwhile I was the best candidate for the job interview where I gave 45-min presentation; reason for the gang-up was simply because I do not do office-politics which is common in corporate America. In a nutshell there are thorns every where. But be careful what you read. I have been out of work for over a year (not that I am really looking for one now) but I still drive my 2012 Mercedes Benz GL450 and still have a roof over my head.

My people. Its a crazy and confusing world, but chose your path and stick with it.
Work politics is everywhere sir. In Nigeria, your job is not protected by the law if push comes to shove. Anyways, enjoy your mercedes Benz. So what are your long term goals? Do you have kids? I would not want to find myself in your situation. I work in a Fortune 500 company and I don't involve myself in work politics. Sometimes I think Nigerians tend to over do things at their work place.I am not saying your situation is same
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
ose_o:

Very good point about people moving with the wrong perception. When i came home i knew it would not be easy to get a job because of my background however i weighed my options and being close to family meant more to me than anything else.

I currently run two of my own businesses, one is a concierge company, I basically help people live without thinking, i like to think of myself as a life manager grin i handle everything from bil payments, home and office repairs/maintenance, automotive and generator repairs, purchasing both local and international, to the simple stuff like concert tickets. I also have a media company that does photography and videography.

I wonder how you deal with lazy staff and dishonest clients in naija? I am not in for such headache.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
justwise:

You got no moral right to lecture anybody here about hard working because you are living big on people's money. Politicians are the biggest problem we have in Nigeria. You bought houses in many cities in Nigeria? How much is your salary?

I had always respected your understanding of the English language, I still do. I want to see this as an error of comprehension with the best of intents. A wonderful evening to you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Empiree: 9:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
T
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by martcrown: 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
somebody should pls say something abt this
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by oseo1(m): 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
bootlegaz:
I wonder how you deal with lazy staff and dishonest clients in naija? I am not in for such headache.

These are the 2 hardest parts of doing business in Nigeria, however i have a simple policy when it comes to staff, "micromanage and motivate" you have to stay on them, dont give them room to slack and motivate them with incentives and rewards. for the clients what i have come to learn is that you have to a high enough percentage of your bill upfront to cover all your costs so at the very worst you do not take a loss. With that said i have not really had any bad experiences with clients but i have heard horror stories.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by givic(f): 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
bootlegaz:
Work politics is everywhere sir. In Nigeria, your job is not protected by the law if push comes to shove. Anyways, enjoy your mercedes Benz. So what are your long term goals? Do you have kids? I would not want to find myself in your situation. I work in a Forbes 500 company and I don't involve myself in work politics. Sometimes I think Nigerians tend to over do things at their work place.I am not saying your situation is same
My dear the best thing that can ever happeen to a man is accomplishing his or her 'dreamz'
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 9:52pm On Oct 17, 2013
Empiree:
You and bootlegaz lack reading skills. Yet he accused me of being uneducated. Maybe you need to reread my post. I never said tech is bad. I said I would study and use it for personal purposes instead for living. Thats what my statement meant. Maybe he needs to tell me what defines educated person?. Also I'm not talking about individual typical african who sustain his living in the field.I'm talking about percentage of white and black folks that work in the fields. Be sincere, who have higher chance of getting the job in the field?. Do I need write a page bcus I want to make you guys understand my point?. Smh
But you were advising black people not to go into Technology cos in your warped mind, it's reserved for the whites cos they're better than blacks in technology. I think that's the assertion of an ignorant person(no offense). The whites may have a higher chance of being hired in the field and it can never be because they're more knowledgeable than blacks but could be for other reasons(racism etc).

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dustydee: 9:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
hardbody:

I had always respected your understanding of the English language, I still do. I want to see this as an error of comprehension with the best of intents. A wonderful evening to you
You, sir, are very matured. Keep it up and God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
givic:
My dear the best thing that can ever happeen to a man is accomplishing his or her 'dreamz'
Dreams can never be accomplished. They are like wants, it can never be satisfied.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by oseo1(m): 9:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
martcrown:
somebody should pls say something abt this

without knowing all the facts I will have to ask if he is willing to marry her and wait the 2-3years. if he is then they should go ahead and marry. Next question is how is she getting to the states, because that wll determoine how long he will have to wait. If she is going on a student visa he can apply once she gets her F1 (I'm not 100% sure) same goes for most visa classes that qualify for spousal visas.

What it sounds like to me (i have a wild imagination) is that she is going on a visitor visa is gonna marry someone or do some shady business to regularize her status and thats why he has to wait so long.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 9:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
But you were advising black people not to go into Technology cos in your warped mind, it's reserved for the whites cos they're better than blacks in technology. I think that's the assertion of an ignorant person(no offense). The whites may have a higher chance of being hired in the field and it can never be because they're more knowledgeable than blacks but could be for other reasons(racism etc).
Stop replying that dimwit. He maybe a CNA that works 12hours shift a day, 6days a week. I don't associate myself with clowns with red nose. I think you should give him a clown cake grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by denzel2009: 9:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
ikecinho: , I said I wnt to study theatre art because my arm is to come back to nigeria nd as a better actor,I hav lik 3 uncles who are producers,and I was thinking like having a part time job while I goto sch,I also have knowledge in web design,computer software repair and some basic video editing although am still learning and will be done b4 I embark on dis journey.

Kanayo O. Kanayo.. God bless your hustle.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by vislabraye(m): 9:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
Both sides of the story are important. It could work well for some but not every one. If travelling is meant for you, go ahead.
I know a friend who was struggling in Naija, he travelled to the US after taking a professional exam. He's doing well. This is a guy who did not graduate.
On the other side, I know of a friend who once worked for a multinational company. He was doing very well in his career. His company transferred him to USA for some years. Over there, he saw many Nigerians suffering. The most pathetic one was about a Nigerian couple who won the visa lottery.
The husband had a good job in Nigeria but abandoned every thing for the States. He couldn't get a job to support his wife and children. It affected his marriage. He wife started doing aristo runs. There was nothing he could because if he dared touched his wife, he could be arrested. To cut the long story short, his son played American football and sustained a serious injury. He couldn't afford hospital bills because of insurance. His died afterwards.
Those are 2 scenarios from different perspective. But if you can go to US to STUDY, by all means GO.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
givic:

When I was little I wanted to be an astronaut,then I grew older I changed my dreams to being a pilot, now I'm an engineer job hunting.

My point is don't always be dogmatic in your dreams, always optimise your dreams,I can't judge the poster who resigned his job because he company tried to alter his career path but taking a detour to reach the ultimate goal is what matters.

Before you say money is not everything,make sure you have lots of it before say such 'nonsense'. (Its a quote ooo no be insult) My ultimate goal make MAD money. Simple

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by takin35(m): 10:04pm On Oct 17, 2013
Please I finished from technical school and I studied mechanical engineering and I have worked as an operator in Nigerian Breweries plc in the Packaging department section for 5 years pls if I have visa to USA can it be possible for me to see a better job that will give me good money?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (34) (Reply)

Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean / Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.