Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,315 members, 7,836,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80411 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
souleymon: According to US department of labor http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Highest hour rate is 9.19$ Washington
Lowest Hour rate is 5.15$ Georgia

Designated working hour for full time is 40 hours (Overtime or part excluded)

For two weeks wages - 9.19$ X 40 = 367.6 x 2 = 735.2 On a regular Job in Washington

For two Weeks wages - 5.15 X 40 = 206 X 2 = 412 $ On a regular Job in Georgia

For a Payment in Washington $ 1470.4 Minus Tax which could be close to 300$ or More
depending on the dependency you claim in your tax

Same is Applicable to All states.
For Further clarifications, Please use the above analysis .

Mind you, it varies per job, Skilled Jobs brings more money and you pay more tax.

So for an average New immigrant from Nigeria with No Skill,Either you go learn a Certified skill by

the Government or Work in stores and Factories with a Pay not above 10$..

Hey i am not hating anyone or discouraging
But if you are in Nigeria, working and earning above N120K and still not Paying our Government Tax
Not Paying Automated Car Insurance,Health Insurance and others,But have a Visiting Visa and want to abandon
Your Nigerian lifestyle,when you dont have an immediate Family..
wat r u tryg 2say, can u explain beta?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gayigaskia:

My man i used to drive tokumbo from Cotonou to Kano and Abuja thru Niger Republic after i graduated from Kad Poly. trust me here in the US the government extort money from you all the time. after all my governor is called Martin O'malley

Lmao! What has your governors name to do with the states exorting your money via taxes. So you live in MD, glad 2 know
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kaka22(m): 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
@op... Answer my question
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2013
auschris: @OP, what are my options? I am an RN with a BSc in Nursing. I have passed the CGFNS exams. An agent(American) was assisting in processing an EB-3 visa for until the visa retrogression set in.

Back in the 90s there were very reputable agencies recruiting nurses,now there are a lot of scams so beware of agencies
If they don't come recommended from someone they helped,don't listen to them.

I don't know any other way around it but to ask you to try to come with a visitors visa if you are single
The single nigerian men here will rush you like October rush
A single nurse here will sell like hot cake
Suitors with citizenship will be all over you grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dolpaz: 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
Am not qualified to call you by name, so i'll say mama Babyosisi wink, I have been reading your response for the past couple of hours and i must commend you for the great job and effort you exhibit to reply most of the messages here..How i wish other Nigerian in diaspora can emulate this feat. God bless you real good.

Now to my question? I have been pursuing ma way out of this country and the dream dropped into me some months back. Am a programmer/web developer with specialty in php and java programming. I have over 2 years working experience and i will love to pursue a master course abroad, preferably the united states.
I have some offers from universities in some eastern and western europe but would never mind coming to America grin for my advanced degree.
The set back is this: I managed to sponsored myself during Bachelors days and also did my sun java training at NIIT. I had a bad degree embarassed def not a pass and am so down with this. despite my skills and stuffs, i still manage to carry on and i think now is the time to forge ahead

Can I get a school in US that can offer a student M.sc degree course in an information technology course with a low degree , or better still a pre-masters course for entry into a certain programme?
The schools in Europe hardly request for IELTS/toefl/sat, why is this a compulsory requirement to gain entry into any university in the states?
When i get to US, Can i differ my admission and work for sometimes to gather some money and fund myself?

I am single in my mid twenties..with a lot of zeal and enthusiasm. Personally, I love just three countries in this world: US, Canada and Germany, any other European country will do apart from UK with due respect.

Please Mama Babyosi, advice me gallantly and u can send me an email to dolpaz02[at]yah00.corm

Thank you and God bless you !
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gayigaskia:

My man i used to drive tokumbo from Cotonou to Kano and Abuja thru Niger Republic after i graduated from Kad Poly. trust me here in the US the government extort money from you all the time. after all my governor is called Martin O'malley

When are you moving back to Nigeria?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Shankboye(m): 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Have I told anyone it was easy?
Have I advised anyone they can ride a jet working as a substitute teacher
Isn't it options of what they can do and what others have done that I'm offering?
If you have ideas and suggestions please provide it
That is the essence of this thread
Even if you are driving cab,tell people how to get into the cabbie industry
. Driving a cab is even better trust me..

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by clefstone(m): 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

There are only few states that allow foreign trained dentists to take their licensure exams and one of those states is California
It is a series of exams that could take over 2 years to complete and at the end of it,you can only practice in California

His best bet will be to seek admission for what they call advance standing
It is a program run by some dental schools where foreign dentists can go in and do an accelerated program for an American dental degree for 2 or 3 years depending on the school.

It is very competitive to get in

He needs a high score in part one and two national dental board examinations
A good TOEFL with TWE score
His transcript evaluated
Before he can even apply to a school

One of such schools is NYU dental school
Another is Loma Linda in California
There are others

Let him go to their websites and check on the admission requirements for foreign trained dentists
You sure know your stuff. You see, i like ur approach to d whole America ish. The world is actually becoming one big country(like global) and its not a bad idea for those who want to leave naija to do so. This is whr @Ozo-emeka got it wrong. But on d flip side, its important to know tht its not all rosy anywhr in d world as Ozo-emeka was pointing out, albeit in an over-pessimistic manner. The two of ur views r complimentary in a way. Luv u guyz
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
kaka22: @op... Answer my question

Can you repost please
I missed it
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
clefstone: You sure know your stuff. You see, i like ur approach to d whole America ish. The world is actually becoming one big country(like global) and its not a bad idea for those who want to leave naija to do so. This is whr @Ozo-emeka got it wrong. But on d flip side, its important to know tht its not all rosy anywhr in d world as Ozo-emeka was pointing out, albeit in an over-pessimistic manner. The two of ur views r complimentary in a way. Luv u guyz

Thanks
I have lived here a while,travelled to many states in the USA and lived in many places and have friends and acquaintances in all sorts of professions so I am speaking from what I have heard from people.
It is not easy to make it here
The first few years will be tough but it can be done
The day you see us running back home in large numbers then I will tell people not to come

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by auschris: 6:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi:

Back in the 90s there were very reputable agencies recruiting nurses,now there are a lot of scams so beware of agencies
If they don't come recommended from someone they helped,don't listen to them.

I don't know any other way around it but to ask you to try to come with a visitors visa if you are single
The single nigerian men here will rush you like October rush
A single nurse here will sell like hot cake
Suitors with citizenship will be all over you grin
A beg o. I'm male and married.

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
@ auschris abeg forgive me,I thought you were female just by your profession
Male nurses are sought after too
There are some units where male nurses are preferred.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dolpaz: 6:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
@OP, I need your response ma oooo..
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by auschris: 6:50pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi: @ auschris abeg forgive me,I thought you were female just by your profession
No wahala. We(male nurses) are used to the stereotyping.
I guess I'll just wait and hope that the retrogression improves. Any plan that does not include my family is a 'no no'
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dolpaz: 6:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
So my matter is complicated in a way that it cant have a single response??
angry angry angry
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 7:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah:

Lmao! What has your governors name to do with the states extorting your money via taxes. So you live in MD, glad 2 know

I live in MD in case you don't know this governor has really made everything so high, from fuel taxes to alcohol and all toll rd taxes everything when up. Oh not to mention property taxes, as a result many are moving to Pennsylvanian to live and work in MD.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 17, 2013
dolpaz: Am not qualified to call you by name, so i'll say mama Babyosi wink, I have been reading your response for the past couple of hours and i must commend you for the great job and effort you exhibit to reply most of the messages here..How i wish other Nigerian in diaspora can emulate this feat. God bless you real good.

Now to my question? I have been pursuing ma way out of this country and the dream dropped into me some months back. Am a programmer/web developer with specialty in php and java programming. I have over 2 years working experience and i will love to pursue a master course abroad, preferably the united states.
I have some offers from universities in some eastern and western europe but would never mind coming to America grin for my advanced degree.
The set back is this: I managed to sponsored myself during Bachelors days and also did my sun java training at NIIT. I had a bad degree embarassed def not a pass and am so down with this. despite my skills and stuffs, i still manage to carry on and i think now is the time to forge ahead

Can I get a school in US that can offer a student M.sc degree course in an information technology course with a low degree , or better still a pre-masters course for entry into a certain programme?
The schools in Europe hardly request for IELTS/toefl/sat, why is this a compulsory requirement to gain entry into any university in the states?
When i get to US, Can i differ my admission and work for sometimes to gather some money and fund myself?

I am single in my mid twenties..with a lot of zeal and enthusiasm. Personally, I love just three countries in this world: US, Canada and Germany, any other European country will do apart from UK with due respect.

Please Mama Babyosi, advice me gallantly and u can send me an email to dolpaz02[at]yah00.corm

Thank you and God bless you !

After this thread maybe I need to retire from NL now that I have become mother general of nairaland lol

I wrote earlier that a high GRE score and a good transcript from undergrad will go a long way to help you secure admission
You also need evidence of funding for the school to issue you an 1-20 which is a document you need before the embassy will issue a visa
Not a guarantee.

Let me tell a personal story here

Many years ago I walked into a community college and filled out an application for our last born in Nigeria to get admission to a community college here in the USA a
I had my father's bank account from Nigeria which was up to what they wanted
I had my sibling's WAEC result,TOEFL, everything
Within one week I got her the 1-20 from the school
I mailed it back home she went to the American embassy armed with that ,they took my sibling's passport and asked them to return in two days for the visa
In two days lo and behold they handed Over the passport and said they wouldn't give the visa anymore,that he/ she could study whatever course it was in Nigeria.
We were devastated.
It was very sad.

I told that story to let you know that you can do all you need to do and yet be turned down at the embassy for whatever reason
Na only them sabi.

About TOEFL,almost every school requires that for foreigners who don't have English as their primary language.

Most schools will not allow you defer your admission here without compelling evidence like a life threatening illness.You will need to re apply to be reconsidered.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 7:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
babyosisi: @ auschris abeg forgive me,I thought you were female just by your profession
grin grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by hardbody: 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2013
The two of you are raving mad. I graduated from Unical In Nigeria, I have lived and worked here all my life, the few occasions i have had the desire to travel, i have come out there (UK not US oo) to spend money riding on the back of my sponsors, my Company. I have no plans of trying to confirm how right or wrong either of you are. You failed here and you relocated. I want to prove a point to you guys, that you can sure make it here if you are focused and work hard enough.

For the records, i do not live in Lekki, but i stay in my personal house here in Lagos and it is standard by any yardstick. I do admit that I am my own Local Governemnt Chairman, providing water, light and security and even contributing alongside my neighbours to fix my street. I have houses both in the village and a few of the metropolitan cities in Nigeria (including Abuja). You guys should quit trying to lure us over. Whomsoever wishes to travel can do so and whomsoever wishes to stay back here and make ends meet will surely succeed with hardwork. Stop painting another man's country with white or black paint, some of us dont give a flying fork.

make una carry una wahala commot here. US is just another country where i am sure you either survive or die. Perhaps you are both corect on your assumptions and reasoning, but i am irked at the level of effort you are both putting to convice people. Are you paid agents?

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 7:06pm On Oct 17, 2013
justwise:

Lol! You're not Ŋĭcέ. Come back to Nigeria and start driving tokunbo 4rm cotonou to kano? Guess, America is way way better
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kaka22(m): 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
@op... I don repost oooo....I am presently an undergraduate studying political science in Nigeria. I plan to further my studies in the states and stay after my Masters there. Please what are my chances in securing employment after masters in USA?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2013
justwise:

January, i may not live in Nigeria tho, i may live Lome, Cotonou or Niamey. Before you say anything i have family in all these places.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gayigaskia:

I live in MD in case you don't know this governor has really made everything so high, from fuel taxes to alcohol and all toll rd taxes everything when up. Oh not to mention property taxes, as a result many are moving to Pennsylvanian to live and work in MD.

I think the OP lives or once lived in MD, have been there before, have some relatives there too.
So many blacks and Nigerians live there and its a fairly Ŋĭcέ place, as per the governor what do you expect, he's a ....
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
kaka22: @op... I don repost oooo....I am presently an undergraduate studying political science in Nigeria. I plan to further my studies in the states and stay after my Masters there. Please what are my chances in securing employment after masters in USA?
In what sector do you want to secure employment. I want to believe your dream is to become a US president.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2013
hardbody: The two of you are raving mad. I graduated from Unical In Nigeria, I have lived and worked here all my life, the few occasions i have had the desire to travel, i have come out there (UK not US oo) to spend money riding on the back of my sponsors, my Company. I have no plans of trying to confirm how right or wrong either of you are. You failed here and you relocated. I want to prove a point to you guys, that you can sure make it here if you are focused and work hard enough.

For the records, i do not live in Lekki, but i stay in my personal house here in Lagos and it is standard by any yardstick. I do admit that I am my own Local Governemnt Chairman, providing water, light and security and even contributing alongside my neighbours to fix my street. I have houses both in the village and a few of the metropolitan cities in Nigeria (including Abuja). You guys should quit trying to lure us over. Whomsoever wishes to travel can do so and whomsoever wishes to stay back here and make ends meet will surely succeed with hardwork. Stop painting another man's country with white or black paint, some of us dont give a flying fork.

make una carry una wahala commot here. US is just another country where i am sure you either survive or die. Perhaps you are both corect on your assumptions and reasoning, but i am irked at the level of effort you are both putting to convice people. Are you paid agents?

Look at this eediot
If the thread is not for you why don't you buzz off
Believe me there are people here who would snap your thieving neck if they could lay their hands on your tolotolo neck
Ewu
Don't make me keep my Bible one side and dip into my bag of disgust for politricksians and descend on you

It is people like you that are making these youths seek alternatives
Why are Nigerians dying from snake bites and heat stroke and turning to okporoko in the sahara desert just to get to morocco?
Why are our women doing ashawo in Togo and Ivory Coast to support their aged parents at home
Don't let me descend on you right now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
kaka22: @op... I don repost oooo....I am presently an undergraduate studying political science in Nigeria. I plan to further my studies in the states and stay after my Masters there. Please what are my chances in securing employment after masters in USA?

If they give you visa come and try your luck
You may need to switch your field if that doesn't work
Come with an open mind and be ready to do what will work
Political science is not a field I am very familiar with
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Stegomiah:

Lol! You're not Ŋĭcέ. Come back to Nigeria and start driving tokunbo 4rm cotonou to kano? Guess, America is way way better

You think you are being sarcastic here but it seems, you don't know sh**t. That business back in the early 90's was very lucrative. Of course its not that anymore a lot of people who were doing got so much wealth in it. And i wouldn't mind doing if it was still profitable.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tonetonz(f): 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Oh my Jesu...i v laff tire...grt writeup ma'am...i study english here in Nigeria,if i wish to further my studies or study psycology later..how cool will it help in my job prospects..or if i wanna study law,how many years is it over there and are the job prospects ok
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2013
Someone asked earlier

Yes College in America refers to post secondary education
Be it community college that grants associate degrees ( equivalent of OND)
Even cosmetology and culinary schools are colleges and so are traditional universities called colleges loosely

But in the real sense,College refers to small post secondary institutions that don't have postgraduate schools
That is why some colleges change from College to University after some years when they have grown
The undergraduate portion of Harvard is still called Harvard College

But generally whenever you hear college it is referring to any sort of schooling after graduating secondary school
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by justwise(m): 7:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
Gayigaskia:

January, i may not live in Nigeria tho, i may live Lome, Cotonou or Niamey. Before you say anything i have family in all these places.

Ok.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (34) (Reply)

Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / 2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi / How Much Does It Cost To Travel By Road From Lagos To Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.