Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80318 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by pickabeau1: 6:12am On Oct 05, 2013
This ozo is a typical nigerian to the core

In the bad days irish n brits immigrating helps each others to settle

Indians are doing it
Chinese even mexicans - yes o come cut grass but e better than doing nothing

Only nigerians will be sabotaging each other... u are still black in ur mind

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Coldfaya(m): 6:16am On Oct 05, 2013
grin ;DPlz I want Obama and Kerry to b on d high table ob d day of my freedom selebration after I finish learn market; kan u get me dia number? wink

Hehe u guys should cool off joor. Too mush tantrums flying btw u guys
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Acidosis(m): 7:23am On Oct 05, 2013
babyosisi:

Yes thou art

shocked shocked

One of your ...?

That means I've been disrespecting my sist all these while...
shocked

ayam sorry ma'am...

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Lucasbalo(m): 8:41am On Oct 05, 2013
Acidosis:

shocked shocked

One of your ...?

That means I've been disrespecting my sist all these while...
shocked

ayam sorry ma'am...

cheesy
. You are a standup guy for admiting your folly..
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fittty(m): 11:30am On Oct 05, 2013
fernandoc: No one asked u to jump into this thread with ur negative aura and discourage people. Even with ur self acclaimed status u reek of negativity. Guy carry ur rantings to smwhr else and leave the good woman alone. Uninvited advisor.

I tire for the guy oh!...
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fittty(m): 11:32am On Oct 05, 2013
This emeka boy is one frustrated soul. I'm beginning to think he has started taking hard drugs!..

11 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lymelyte(m): 11:37am On Oct 05, 2013
babyosisi:

The biggest huddle for you and every immigrant here is the fund to go to school
If you come in with a visitor's visa and have a relative willing to support you,your best bet will be to have a co signer for your school loans if they qualify credit wise.

It is a big thing to ask anyone to undertake because if you default on your loans the person becomes liable too
Most of the time it is usually a sibling that will be willing to take that sort of risk for you.
When you secure an admission,the school will help you get a student visa F1
With an FI visa if you have a wife back home,she can come with an F2 visa
The good thing about F2 visas is that she can apply for a work permit and work legally as long as you maintain your F1 status.

Tuition differs from school to school
Universities in America are either state universities or private
The state universities are usually much cheaper than the private and tuition in state schools are still high.it can be up to 20-25k a year in professional schools like Engineering.
Your computer skills can come in handy even though I think there are lots of people into that field but everyone get their akaraka ( good will)
I hope I have helped
thanks a lot for the info.i am not going in for an undergraduate degree but a master degree(preferably info tech).And like i said,I am saving for it.
Will 3.5m naira be enough for my masters in a state university in the US?
Do I need to have a relative abroad to ensure that this move is possible? I am not married and I am still young (in my mid 20s).

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ikecinho(m): 12:41pm On Oct 05, 2013
@OP, I said I wnt to study theatre art because my arm is to come back to nigeria nd as a better actor,I hav lik 3 uncles who are producers,and I was thinking like having a part time job while I goto sch,I also have knowledge in web design,computer software repair and some basic video editing although am still learning and will be done b4 I embark on dis journey.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by solomon111(m): 12:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
lymelyte: thanks a lot for the info.i am not going in for an undergraduate degree but a master degree(preferably info tech).And like,i said I am saving for it.
Do I need to have a relative abroad to ensure that this move is possible? I am not married and I am still young (in my mid 20s).
Na wa o.
3.5 million is enough to start a good business in Nigeria and expand,and especially now that jobs are scarce.
I wonder which school dangote went to.
What a waste of funds!

11 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lymelyte(m): 1:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
solomon111: Na wa o.
3.5 million is enough to start a good business in Nigeria and expand,and especially now that jobs are scarce.
I wonder which school dangote went to.
What a waste of funds!
You mean going into biz I am not sure of? Not everyone wants to do biz everyone in the country is doing.Actually,my sole purpose of travelling is to acquire skills,ideas,knowledge e.t.c and come back to start up a unique biz.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
^^
grin grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 06, 2013
aggymore: Good day, I need your advice. I am looking for someone I can talk to on what to do. I applied for US visa 5years ago and was refused. Now I need to apply again and was told I should talk to people on how to go about it. I need you to help me and tell me how to go. I will be heart broken if I am refused again.

Waiting to hear from you.

I don't know much about visa issues so I can't help much there but one mistake we make is that our people tell a lot of lies
Remember that you are dealing with trained folks who have been schooled about Nigeria and Nigerians
Once they smell a lie or concocted stories,every other thing you say becomes suspect.
Sadly once you are denied it becomes harder and harder and once you have visited,it becomes easier.
Are you working in Nigeria?
What type of work do you do?
I heard that you are viewed more favorably if you have travelled to other countries so you may want to go to South Africa or Dubai and return before trying again.
It is easier when you have a good job in Nigeria than if you are unemployed.
I wish you better outcome when next you go to the embassy.

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:14am On Oct 06, 2013
lymelyte: thanks a lot for the info.i am not going in for an undergraduate degree but a master degree(preferably info tech).And like i said,I am saving for it.

Which school do you plan on attending?
Tuition and living expenses vary from place to place
Tell me the school you have in mind so I can check into it for you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by darocha1: 2:54am On Oct 06, 2013
@op as an immigrant coming into the US,what state would you advice the person to settle in for a start
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by toshmann(m): 3:42am On Oct 06, 2013
CFCfan:
That guy na comedian
cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 4:14am On Oct 06, 2013
For anyone wishing to attend undergrad or grad school in the USA and are serious about such endeavors, it's probably best to contact the admissions office of the school or schools you're interested in via email as the requirements vary for each school and state. Also, the information on their websites may vary from what you're actually told through direct contact. It's good to follow the info on their site and be in contact with someone from the admissions office as you progress. A missed deadline, a missing document, a wrong signature, etc., can make or break you.

5 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Lucasbalo(m): 7:28am On Oct 06, 2013
darocha1: @op as an immigrant coming into the US,what state would you advice the person to settle in for a start
. That's very easy. You have to go to a place where you have a reliable family member or very reliable friend. America is not a fun place to go if you do not have any of those. Good luck to u.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Ugosample(m): 1:09pm On Oct 06, 2013
Can a university graduate become a teacher without going through teachers training? What are the prospects for upward mobility in that direction?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kunlebal(m): 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

One thing I like about your write up is that u said It the way it is, if you want quick paper u have to marry a lady or guy that as paper.
My question is this, what are the chances of somebody that want to study MBA in the state with an accounting background from nigeria and more than 4years working experience in the automotive company here in nigeria.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 3:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
@babyosisi, i'l b headin 2 U.S in d nxt few weeks as an imigrant visa holder wit jst ND in computa sc...wht advice can u giv me to further my study as an undagraduate in US? whc scul do u tink is best suite me as part time studnt? Jst 2 b able 2 b workin & sculin in order 2 b sponsorin mysef..or i'l nid 2 hustle 4 sm times to gt fund? i'l b headin 2 Vegas...Thanks

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lymelyte(m): 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

Thanks sis. I will get back to you asap. smiley
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tochium: 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2013
ozo_emeka: "Tribalism is a million times worse" Where are your sources? Citations? References? Or are you just assuming in your "thick skull" that it should be so SINCE you THINK SO? I gave you facts, please support your BROAD claims with FACTS

Colossal lawsuits, you mean like the Trayvon Martin law suit that ended up with...Zimmerman acquitted? Oh yes, of course the justice system in the US is VERY VERY fair.once you get racially profiled you will get GAZILLIONS of dollars in compensation - OH YES! Lie to them.

Boko haram is slaughtering for religion, and you don't have psychos who do so in America in the name of the Lord? The CT shooting? Oh, of course you are FALSELY encouraging immigrants, so why mention that to them. Afterall, AMERICA IS PERFECT!

85% of people live in worse places? LMAO WOW the way you COME UP with your MAGIC numbers. Citation? References? I am waiting for TANGIBLE thoroughly researched EVIDENCE

You and the guy who claims magnet research is science, I don't know who is worse. I guess it's a nigerian thing huh, not having concrete facts

Ozone Emeka pls kindly let us be. We r tired of ur lies. If I may ask u what r u still doing in america? Now let me tell u, I have visited America as a tourist, u cannot deceive me. Who does not kw abt tribalism in Nigeria? A frnd of mine was denied employment cos he isn't a muslim.... I saw the pics u share in ur thread, I can tell u that those places r no ghettos when compared to some places in Nigeria. Pls enough of ur argument and let us enjoy this thread.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by africanchilds: 5:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ozo Emeka,
If Nigerians in Nigeria don't believe you,
I,a Nigerian in America do believe you.
My accent never helped in getting a job as a customer
Service representative.
And for records, there are more homos in America than in Nigeria.
If you are on 100k above earnings, please don't
Try to come on a visitors visa to come and hustle.

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Originalsly: 7:04pm On Oct 06, 2013
Cele-pope:
Am a new bee in Yankee.Been here like going to a year now.I want someone with broad knowledge to reply me and give me advice.I am actually a graduate of English in Nigeria and hope to continue with a masters in Communication.What are my chances of getting admitted and what are also my chances of getting employed after my Masters Program in Communication.I decided to ask this question here because most of my pals are in the medical line therefore they see nothing good and promising outside the health field and I am not cut out for that medical ish cause I believe one can still become a success story even without being in the medical line.Reasonable advice and insights are welcome.
Your friends and Babyosisi are telling you like it is. If you get your Masters today I can guarantee next year this time you will still be walking the streets. Balance your dreams with reality.

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by xp17(m): 7:58pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi: @ozo_emeka

Will you pay his tuition there?
Can an immigrant come in and get grants and loans just for asking
I told you going to google copying and posting nonsense to feel among is not the answer
Practicable workable answers only
That is what they were looking for
ma'am, its like u ain't got no clue of what immigrant means wen it comes to US immigration services.

Having an Immigrant status u have thesame benefits as born citizens, except for voting and being voted for.

Student visa is a under a non immigrant status,
Btw u can say a non immigrant immigrating grin grin

Sugar coated tongue madam, pls also endeavor to educate ur followers the turn down rate of student kpali.

Pls, no one should quote me.

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tyosho: 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

Stupid liar

Which Ivy League school are you in?
In your dreams
Can someone with your mentality get into a first tier university let alone ivy league
You will be lucky to be accepted into Bowie state university
Who dash monkey banana
My husband is a proud graduate of the finest of them all and my child is in one ,a prestigious one for that matter so ivy league is not an unreachable place in my household.
See this one
Name the school you are in
Empty vessel

baby Please dont argue with emeka or whatever his name is.There will always be people like him.If the US isnt as wonderful as we are made to believe like hes claiming,he should come home and see wonders.Every year i travel and hear people say im going back to niger,this country is too stressful,its you guys that come in when you feel like that are enjoying.All na wash.6years on they are still there,another 20years,they are still there.All the ones that have come to set up businesses have all run back.they enjoy the first month in niger,manage the second,struggle through the 3rd month and by the fourth month,they are cursing what brought them here.
Please just leave him.Let people try out their options biko mr emeka.

15 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
kunlebal:
One thing I like about your write up is that u said It the way it is, if you want quick paper u have to marry a lady or guy that as paper.
My question is this, what are the chances of somebody that want to study MBA in the state with an accounting background from nigeria and more than 4years working experience in the automotive company here in nigeria.

Do you mean chances of getting admission for the MBA or chances for securing a job afterwards?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.