Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,765 members, 7,824,212 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80359 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 14, 2013
Chillisauce:

Why not read the beginning of the thread. Your answers are right there undecided

Thanks for this.
Please folks try to read the whole thread before posting.i may have already answered your question.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 7:22pm On Oct 14, 2013
babyosisi:

The decision is ultimately his
If he decides to make it lapse,I believe he is passing up a good opportunity
Sounds to me like this is a young couple
That is the best time to migrate besides when one is single
The first few years will be rough but with hardwork and perseverance and listening to the right people,he will be alright.
Maybe when his state govt owes him about 3 months salary he will change his mind lol.
I will advise him to get a one year leave of absence from his job,paid or unpaid and come
If he decides he doesn't like it,he can go back but will have a green card to return should he change his mind again
thanx babyosisi
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 7:39pm On Oct 14, 2013
babyosisi: For those already established in Nigeria making hundreds of thousands of Naira monthly

I will advise you not to move in a hurry
I wrote that earlier
Take a vacation and come for a visit and see things for yourself before making that move
Don't get a 6 months visa and sell off your property ,quit your job in Nigeria to move to the USA without setting foot here
It could be the most foolish decision you ever made,more so with children.

First of all it will take you at least 5 years or more to get to the comparable financial status you were in Nigeria
And if your kids were already teenagers ,college will be creeping up on you while you are still trying to find your feet.
If you came with DV lottery,it is still a hard decision to make let alone coming with a visitors visa in that situation.

The best time to move is when you are single,just starting off your career,as a single student,young couple with no kids or little kids in the preschool years.man and wife well under 40.
You have years to get stabilized
Above the age of 40,with teenage kids,your transition will be rougher and tougher.
@babyosisi pls wat range f mnthly incom one can b mäkg in Nig b4 u can say d person is establishd comparg 2wat is obtainable in d US mnthly with minimum USwages, mayb menial job,cos u said hundred f thousand f naira mnthly in Nig lik in wat rang(dis might help) pls. u r angel
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 15, 2013
ayooyee:
@babyosisi pls wat range f mnthly incom one can b mäkg in Nig b4 u can say d person is establishd comparg 2wat is obtainable in d US mnthly with minimum USwages, mayb menial job,cos u said hundred f thousand f naira mnthly in Nig lik in wat rang(dis might help) pls. u r angel

Statistics tell us that the average American family make 50k annually
That is roughly $4,000 monthly before taxes
So I will think that if you and your spouse make about N500- 600k monthly and above,you shouldn't move in a hurry.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 3:29am On Oct 15, 2013
@babyosisi,,,,, now @ Las Vegas oo

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ultrazone(m): 6:43am On Oct 15, 2013
@babyosisi. Thanks a lot for answering my questions.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by amosolaniyi: 6:45am On Oct 15, 2013
I am physic Electronics graduate at Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State(FUTA), 2003. Currently working now with Airtel Communication Contractor. But, I wish to travel and I want A Company abroad that can Sponsor me abroad(USA), and will be paid back on Monthly Basis. On getting there and Started working. I will be very happy and grateful, if I can be connected to the kind of foreign(USA/European countries) Companies. I will be expecting your feedback. THANKS.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 7:52am On Oct 15, 2013
babyosisi:

Statistics tell us that the average American family make 50k annually
That is roughly $4,000 monthly before taxes
So I will think that if you and your spouse make about N500- 600k monthly and above,you shouldn't move in a hurry.
@babyosis U r angel in human form. Pls can $3-4k montly incom b ok 4 a new couple 4 a start i mean livg gud lif in atlantaG? Gud apartm n a car?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babestell(f): 8:54am On Oct 15, 2013
Babyosisi, Ogugua, Phema and other contributors thanks for good job you guys are doing.
For those still in school wishing to port, another route is to graduate with a first class and then even b4 graduation start applying to universities. USA schools like to attract the best talent and if you impress them , you can get a full scholarship. My school mates who graduated with first class in maths are all abroad in good schools, 2 are even in Harvard. Those who didn't got good jobs at home.
Education I think is a good route to go

5 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
Husmern: @babyosisi,,,,, now @ Las Vegas oo

Yeah!!!!!!!!
I am happy for you my dear brother
Please keep in touch through this medium
I may send you a Christmas present to welcome you to America,you never know
Trying times will come but it will pass,don't forget that.
Stay focused,be safe ,keep away from the wrong Nigerian crowd
God bless

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:00pm On Oct 15, 2013
ayooyee:
@babyosis U r angel in human form. Pls can $3-4k montly incom b ok 4 a new couple 4 a start i mean livg gud lif in atlantaG? Gud apartm n a car?

Atlanta is a relatively cheap city,you won't live lavishly on that amount but you can have your needs met
You can get a 2 bedroom apartment in OK areas of atlanta suburbs like marrietta for $800 a month
You can get a good and reliable second hand car for $3-5k and pay in installments.
There is no reason why a young couple cannot live on that amount and save money at the end of the month
As long as you don't join the high society Nigerian groups and clubs and their parties,you should be OK
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 15, 2013
amosolaniyi: I am physic Electronics graduate at Federal University of Technology, Akure, Ondo State(FUTA), 2003. Currently working now with Airtel Communication Contractor. But, I wish to travel and I want A Company abroad that can Sponsor me abroad(USA), and will be paid back on Monthly Basis. On getting there and Started working. I will be very happy and grateful, if I can be connected to the kind of foreign(USA/European countries) Companies. I will be expecting your feedback. THANKS.

I don't have any information on that type of arrangement.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by souleymon(m): 10:08pm On Oct 15, 2013
Your statistics about an average earner in America is wrong madam.

what's the most common job in America and how many are employed full time with insurance benefit.

what's the poverty range according to uscis.please provide concrete information to your followers
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayooyee: 10:38pm On Oct 15, 2013
souleymon: Your statistics about an average earner in America is wrong madam.

what's the most common job in America and how many are employed full time with insurance benefit.

what's the poverty range according to uscis.please provide concrete information to your followers
@souleymon pls giv us ur own view we r learng here
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Tochium: 11:07pm On Oct 15, 2013

You should drop ur own statistics...... we r not here to quarrel wif each other. Mind u, nobody knows everything
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 11:55pm On Oct 15, 2013
babyosisi:

Yeah!!!!!!!!
Stay focused,be safe ,keep away from the wronig Nigerian crowd
God bless
OK ma o..still watching films at home now, because my green card, SSN, and driver's license r still pending...I'll b expecting d present.
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:24am On Oct 16, 2013
Ok been readin throught the posts here
Nice job babyosisi
@ogugua I appreciate your input too

So I'm just a green horn here in naija. I just finished my NySC.
My field is biotech.what are the prospects of biotech in the U.S

Secondly no one said anythin about Washington.
How's life there?
My man lives there hoping to join him there somtime in the future.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by toshmann(m): 5:09am On Oct 16, 2013
babyosisi:

Yeah!!!!!!!!
Stay focused,be safe ,keep away from the wrong Nigerian crowd
God bless
BabyO you've never sent me xmas present angry

wetin i do?

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 10:08am On Oct 16, 2013
gud day sist @ babyosisi pls i rily need ur help on this:

am in my 500level in elect engr nd i am migrating to u.s through dv lottery

i hope to get a CNA certification once i get there

i want to transfer from my studies here in naija to any university in texas u.s.a but i dnt knw aw to go about it

pls can you enlighten me on how it is done ?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Husmern(m): 10:42am On Oct 16, 2013
toshmann:
BabyO you've never sent me xmas present angry

wetin i do?
lol.. She just promise me..Christmas don come?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Deolu1993: 11:24am On Oct 16, 2013
Hey guys I will like to find out if it is still possible for a student to get an admission for spring term, undergraduate in engineering.your replies are highly welcome.thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by iamchux(m): 1:59pm On Oct 16, 2013

Who is this one?? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Mamacita007(f): 3:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
iamchux:

Who is this one?? undecided undecided undecided

lloooooooll
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Mamacita007(f): 3:45pm On Oct 16, 2013
baba ajala: am in my 500level in elect engr nd i am migrating to u.s through dv lottery

i want to transfer from my studies here in naija to any university in texas u.s.a but i dnt knw aw to go about it

u wanna leave engineering for cna? cna takes one yr & most people that do it are either trying to go for nursing skl later or they're using it to pay for other degrees. abeg don't waste ur time becos the credit wont even count for rn or bsn so whats the point
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by souleymon(m): 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2013
According to US department of labor http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

Highest hour rate is 9.19$ Washington
Lowest Hour rate is 5.15$ Georgia

Designated working hour for full time is 40 hours (Overtime or part excluded)

For two weeks wages - 9.19$ X 40 = 367.6 x 2 = 735.2 On a regular Job in Washington

For two Weeks wages - 5.15 X 40 = 206 X 2 = 412 $ On a regular Job in Georgia

For a Payment in Washington $ 1470.4 Minus Tax which could be close to 300$ or More
depending on the dependency you claim in your tax

Same is Applicable to All states.
For Further clarifications, Please use the above analysis .

Mind you, it varies per job, Skilled Jobs brings more money and you pay more tax.

So for an average New immigrant from Nigeria with No Skill,Either you go learn a Certified skill by

the Government or Work in stores and Factories with a Pay not above 10$..

Hey i am not hating anyone or discouraging
But if you are in Nigeria, working and earning above N120K and still not Paying our Government Tax
Not Paying Automated Car Insurance,Health Insurance and others,But have a Visiting Visa and want to abandon
Your Nigerian lifestyle,when you dont have an immediate Family..
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by africanchilds: 6:14pm On Oct 16, 2013
baba ajala: gud day sist @ babyosisi pls i rily need ur help on this:

If you are about to finish your Programme in Months time (sorry ASUU) is on strike
Finish the Programme
CNA , Certified Nursing Assistant is a Skill Job that is obtainable within 2- 8 weeks in some School /Nursing Homes
or Training Center or Even Online training.
Its cost is within 700$ -1500$.
Basic requirement is ability to speak English Language, Understand it and Pass the State examination
Thus, the issue of transfer from Elect to CNA Is no Go.
If your host would allow u don't work awhile, then you can go back to school upon arrival.

As at now, CNA's are sought after and over 750,000 Positions would be occupied in the coming years.
Its a start up job and not for someone to stick to forever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
souleymon: According to US department of labor http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

For two weeks wages - 9.19$ X 40 = 367.6 x 2 = 735.2 On a regular Job in Washington

For a Payment in Washington $ 1470.4 Minus Tax which could be close to 300$ or More

Mind you, it varies per job, Skilled Jobs brings more money and you pay more tax.

So for an average New immigrant from Nigeria with No Skill,Either you go learn a Certified skill by

But if you are in Nigeria, working and earning above N120K and still not Paying our Government Tax
Not Paying Automated Car Insurance,Health Insurance and others,But have a Visiting Visa and want to abandon
I don't get your point. Are you advising that someone with a salary of 120k in Nigeria should take the risk.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
souleymon: According to US department of labor http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

I don't get your point. Are you advising that someone with a salary of 120k in Nigeria should take the risk?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 16, 2013

Please go to department of labor website and see for yourself
It is not enough to tell me I'm wrong without proof
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 16, 2013
lorretta u: Ok been readin throught the posts here
Nice job babyosisi
@ogugua I appreciate your input too

So I'm just a green horn here in naija. I just finished my NySC.
My field is biotech.what are the prospects of biotech in the U.S

Secondly no one said anythin about Washington.
How's life there?
My man lives there hoping to join him there somtime in the future.

That is a good field to be in,when you arrive look towards getting a masters in that field,there is a lot you can do with it.
Is your man in Washington state or Washington DC
They are two different places.
I know more about DC
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
baba ajala: gud day sist @ babyosisi pls i rily need ur help on this:

Do not abandon your studies at that level to come here
I wish I could shout it from the rooftops
If you do that,it may be the greatest mistake of your life
Don't!
I have seen people do it and they are full of regrets today
I know a girl that abandoned her accounting course at UNICAL during a strike action and came to the USA to marry husbandi
This is almost 9 years and she still has no degree.
Don't make the same mistake.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
babyosisi:

That is a good field to be in,when you arrive look towards getting a masters in that field,there is a lot you can do with it.
Is your man in Washington state or Washington DC
They are two different places.
I know more about DC
he's in Washington state. Is it a good place to be?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (34) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / How Much Does It Cost To Travel By Road From Lagos To Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.