Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,079 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80245 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 06, 2013
ty osho:

baby Please dont argue with emeka or whatever his name is.There will always be people like him.If the US isnt as wonderful as we are made to believe like hes claiming,he should come home and see wonders.Every year i travel and hear people say im going back to niger,this country is too stressful,its you guys that come in when you feel like that are enjoying.All na wash.6years on they are still there,another 20years,they are still there.All the ones that have come to set up businesses have all run back.they enjoy the first month in niger,manage the second,struggle through the 3rd month and by the fourth month,they are cursing what brought them here.
Please just leave him.Let people try out their options biko mr emeka.

God bless you
Na today?

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 06, 2013
darocha1: @op as an immigrant coming into the US,what state would you advice the person to settle in for a start

Most people start off going to where they have a relative or close friend that will house them for a while
There are pluses and minuses for all the locations
if you could take your pick,I will advice you to go to one of the southern cities and states like Atlanta Georgia,Raleigh North Carolina ,Dallas or Houston Texas etc
The big advantage in those places is cost
They are some of the cheapest places to live in the USA
The big disadvantage in some like Houston and Dallas is lack of public transportation so your host will be saddled with driving you around.

NY,Boston,DC area and atlanta have good public transport system for the most part and you can get around and also walk to areas but those places except atlanta have higher cost of living.
A two bedroom apartment in an OK area of atlanta metro area could cost you $700 a month ,in Boston,the same apartment will be $2000.
If you hate the snow,that is another reason to go to the south.

If you had a green card and decided to migrate to the USA,I would advice you to go to a city in the south because of cost.
Most Nigerians live in the south also.

To give you an idea,we rented a condo in Cambridge Massachusetts and paid $1800-$2200 a month from mid 90's to 2002
We moved to the south and paid 600 less in mortgage for a 5 bedroom house.

10 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
Husmern: @babyosisi, i'l b headin 2 U.S in d nxt few weeks as an imigrant visa holder wit jst ND in computa sc...wht advice can u giv me to further my study as an undagraduate in US? whc scul do u tink is best suite me as part time studnt? Jst 2 b able 2 b workin & sculin in order 2 b sponsorin mysef..or i'l nid 2 hustle 4 sm times to gt fund? i'l b headin 2 Vegas...Thanks

Congratulations
Coming in with an immigrant visa gives you an edge over many of us that came in with student or visitors visa.
Las Vegas
Oh lala
Sin city.
I guess that is where you have relatives
The dream of going to school should be foremost in your plan
I wish you told me your age too,married?,single?
Let me tell you what I would tell my own brother in the same situation.

First of all make sure you get an international driver license from Nigeria
You can legally drive with it here for at least 6 months.
Also get a sealed copy or two of your transcripts from the polytechnic you attended.

1. As soon as you Come in,you go and apply for a social security number
The card takes a few weeks to arrive but about the next day after you apply you can go back to the SS office and they will give you the number which will be on that card.

2. Go to Bank of America or Wells Fargo and open a bank account and put the required minimum in it.
I recommended those two because they have branches all over the USA.

Why do you need a bank account soon?

When eventually you go to get a drivers license,they ask for 2 proofs of address in your name and a bank statement is usually one since the bills in the house will bear your host's name.
The letter from the social security office will be your second proof .

3.make a resume in the format used here in the USA

4. Go to the nearest community college and make inquiries about the course you want to study.

The good thing here is that you can get loans and some grants because of your immigrant status.Community colleges are flexible ,most people there take classes and also work.
You can take classes to upgrade to the associate degree there and then transfer to a 4 year college for the remaining two years.
If you ask me to suggest a course of study,I will say Pharmacy Tech.
It takes about 12 months and you can continue and work your way to a pharmacy school eventually.
People have done it and so can you.

Let me let out another thing I just learned recently and I know someone doing it so I am speaking fact here
Another good field to get into for those who are more handy and not into bookuru is truck and tractor driving
There are truck driving schools and some that have accommodation for the length of training,usually about 2 months.
Truck drivers can make as much as $40 an hour
Starting salary about $25/ hr
And it is not just cross country driving,some drive locally,some in oil fields
Not an easy job but you can make a good living doing it

Lastly please lose that way of writing
It will do you no good here
Spell out your words properly and spell check your resume especially

I wish you the best when you arrive the USA
Stay focused and you will make it!!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by xp17(m): 9:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
ozo_emeka: no one is "scaring" anyone. Grown men and women should not be "scared" by a thread they read. Which is why I provide REFERENCES. Research and disprove my claims if I lay any false fact.

I am Nigerian-american, born in Cali, lived in Lagos and LIVING in America.
the truth is mostly unacceptable. frm my day 2 day observations; I have come to a reasonable conclusion that there re more homeless folks in the US than It's in Nigeria .

In Nigeria, only lunatics roam homeless on the streets ,but in US sane folks re more on the streets homeless than the lunatics.no matter how jobless u re in Nigeria, a shelter is for sure, either frm friends or close relatives. Not applicable in highly rated US.

On the contrary , only willingness can make u in the US, but in Nigeria even if u re willing, where re the jobs?.

My buddy, if u lament like the book of lamentation 5 vs 4 while based in a God owned country, that mean the smell of Nigeria alone would kill u.

On the last note, racism is not ur limitation over there, u seem to be low self esteemed.

Rip in advance,

11 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
xp17: ma'am, its like u ain't got no clue of what immigrant means wen it comes to US immigration services.

Having an Immigrant status u have thesame benefits as born citizens, except for voting and being voted for.

Student visa is a under a non immigrant status,
Btw u can say a non immigrant immigrating grin grin

Sugar coated tongue madam, pls also endeavor to educate ur followers the turn down rate of student kpali.

Pls, no one should quote me.

Go and check up the meaning of immigrant
I didn't say immigrant status
An immigrant is one who migrates to another country
You understand clearly that in the context of that response the word immigrant refers to someone here with hopes of remaining here regardless of what is stamped on their passport.
The person I responded to understood me
Stop being silly and stop splitting hairs
If the advise is not for you move on

5 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
Afam when are you moving to Charlotte North Carolina?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by xp17(m): 9:56pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

Go an check up the meaning of immigrant
I didn't say immigrant status
An immigrant is one who migrates to another country
You understand clearly that in the context of that response the word immigrant refers to someone here with hopes of remaining here regardless of what is stamped on their passport.
The person I responded to understood me
Stop being silly and stop splitting hairs
If the advise is not for you move on
ma'am, if u do understood privacy, u should have not quoted me. Nothing spoil. grin

Frm u comments u said immigrants can't get loans and grants. Btw that includes both of family based and lottery winners.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 9:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi: Afam when are you moving to Charlotte North Carolina?
I've not made up my mind about Charllote yet. It's just one of the places that i'm considering. I also have Houston, Dallas and Boston on my mind. I'm also considering the Lagos of America(New York). But by default, i'll settle in Baltimore because that's where my family is based.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
I've not made up my mind about Charllote yet. It's just one of the places that i'm considering. I also have Houston, Dallas and Boston on my mind. I'm also considering the Lagos of America(New York). But by default, i'll settle in Baltimore because that's where my family is based.

Better go to Baltimore then
You have to start off where your support system is then move wherever you please
Which is usually dictated by where you get a better job

Don't get me started on NY
The first time I went there,At night on Times Square I was like a kid again
NY is beautiful but too expensive
I like to visit ,wouldn't wanna live there

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:02pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

You have to start off where your support system is then move wherever you please
From what i've read and heard about the place, i'm not really a fan. Do you know that blacks account for over 60% in that city? I want a city with the right mix.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:
From what i've read and heard about the place, i'm not really a fan. Do you know that blacks account for over 60% in that city? I want a city with the right mix.

I did my citizenship interview and swearing in as an American in Baltimore
You couldn't pay me to live in that city
It is a very unattractive place
The worst downtown area I have seen so far in the USA and I have been to quite A few cities
Very high crime city too
I am sure your relatives will live in the suburban areas of Baltimore which will be better
The only thing I liked about Baltimore was the harbor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

I did my citizenship interview and swearing in as an American in Baltimore
You couldn't pay me to live in that city
It is a very unattractive place
The worst downtown area I have seen so far in the USA and I have been to quite A few cities
Very high crime city too
I have done some research and Baltimore is one of the last places i'll like to live. I'd rather live in Minnesota if not for the snow. Boston is also a great city with little crime rate and a higher standard of living but then the snow is a turn off. I like Houston too and parts of Texas because of the space. I noticed they have a lot of spaces and the rent is not as high as eastern cities. But at the end of the day, i may start from Baltimore and branch out much later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:14pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:
I am sure your relatives will live in the suburban areas of Baltimore which will be better
The only thing I liked about Baltimore was the harbor
Yeah, they live on the outskirts but i think the city should be as good.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva:

Wow. I never knew who were this serious about moving to America. If you eventually do go, which kind of job will you be doing ? Work in the IT sector ?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:24pm On Oct 06, 2013
adaobi123:

Wow. I never knew who were this serious about moving to America. If you eventually do go, which kind of job will you be doing ? Work in the IT sector ?
I intend starting my own IT firm but first, it won't be a bad idea to work for some company for some time. I'm leaving Nigeria to put mind and sould together and then return much later. If i remain in Nigeria, i might join Ogboni. My head wan scatter for here.

6 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 06, 2013
Afam, come join me in San Diego county; or Ogugua in Sacramento
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 06, 2013
ozo_emeka: Listen to the trash you are offering. He should marry someone for a green card?

If you are ACTUALLY nigerian american (not one of those immigrants who managed to get "papers"wink you would encourage him to look at programs like the Meyerhoff Program for people in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), you will encourage him to take advantage of organizations that offer scholarships to Africans or people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

You will encourage him to apply to NASA, they accept immigrants and provide you a work visa

But no, you, the "one who knows what she is talking about" is suggesting to a "graduate looking for greener pastures" to commit a crime (marry a girl for papers) and risk going to jail.

GREAT ADVICE

Somebody deleted my prompt response to this trash and I wonder what that person's motive was
Anyone interested can read my exact post on the first page
I never advocate sham marriages and never promoted here
So this person's attempt to misrepresent my stand falls flat on it's face
I repeat
A visitor to America can find a single lady,fall in love,marry them and get their papers legally
It happens everyday
There are many single ladies looking for husbands
A win win situation IMHO
And it is perfectly allowed by law

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 06, 2013
CFCfan: Afam, come join me in San Diego county; or Ogugua in Sacramento

How far apart are the two counties ?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
For some reason, Nigerians based abroad don't talk about places in California much for whatever reason. Initially Los Angeles was on my radar but i went to Skyscrapercity and some people especially from the east coast were bad mouthing the place. The place i'm really impressed with in Cali and that's rated very highly is San Francisco. People always have nice things to say about the place. Btw, how big is the Nigerian community where you live. Is there really a Nigerian community?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
Btw, is San Diego not the place that shares border with Mexico?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by xp17(m): 10:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
Afam4eva: Btw, is San Diego not the place that shares border with Mexico?
el Paso, in Texas.

@cfc fan, u near Mexico?, if so inbox me burritos.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
xp17: el Paso, in Texas.

@cfc fan, u near Mexico?, if so inbox me burritos.
I know El paso shares a border with Mexico but there's a city in california that shares a border with them too.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by kunlebal(m): 10:46pm On Oct 06, 2013
babyosisi:

Do you mean chances of getting admission for the MBA or chances for securing a job afterwards?
Have been admitted already, going for F1 visa interview very soon. My question is securing a job afterwards in the state.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 06, 2013

Why are you giving our brother bad advice? He touch your sister? Lol.

Afam4eva: For some reason, Nigerians based abroad don't talk about places in California much for whatever reason. Initially Los Angeles was on my radar but i went to Skyscrapercity and some people especially from the east coast were bad mouthing the place. The place i'm really impressed with in Cali and that's rated very highly is San Francisco. People always have nice things to say about the place. Btw, how big is the Nigerian community where you live. Is there really a Nigerian community?

There are Nigerians in California, but as you can see, we're a very large (long) state. Los Angeles is 6-8 hours away from both San Francisco and Sacramento. If you're coming from San Diego, add another 2-3 hours. The east badmouth us and we badmouth them. Baltimore is crap (but your family must be doing okay for them to still live there lol). I hate Texas (suya shops at every corner and a lot of them there are WAY too chummy with rogue politicians and businessmen in Nigeria; I don't trust them). The Nigerians I've met in Georgia aren't bad at all, same goes for New York, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. Different locations attract different people at the end of the day. I don't care too much for Los Angeles myself, yet I would choose Los Angeles over the central/east any day.

San Francisco is divine. I'm there almost on a monthly basis. It's only good for visiting though, unless you have (a lot of) money. A small studio (one room) apartment is at least $1800/month. If you want an apartment with a proper bedroom and such, at least $2500/month on average. They have amazing public transportation like the east coast, but in terms of finances, you're much better off in the east. California and New York are two states I rule out for anyone coming, most especially if they don't have anywhere to stay.

Hypothetically, if you were to stay with me (Ada no vex) or in my town, you wouldn't be able to survive without a car. I've only been to San Diego once (2008), so CFCbobo could tell you more.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
Issokay ogugua. I trust you. grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 11:08pm On Oct 06, 2013
ogugua88:

Why are you giving our brother bad advice? He touch your sister? Lol.

There are Nigerians in California, but as you can see, we're a very large (long) state. Los Angeles is 6-8 hours away from both San Francisco and Sacramento. If you're coming from San Diego, add another 2-3 hours. The east badmouth us and we badmouth them. Baltimore is crap (but your family must be doing okay for them to still live there lol). I hate Texas (suya shops at every corner and a lot of them there are WAY too chummy with rogue politicians and businessmen in Nigeria; I don't trust them). The Nigerians I've met in Georgia aren't bad at all, same goes for New York, Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan. Different locations attract different people at the end of the day. I don't care too much for Los Angeles myself, yet I would choose Los Angeles over the central/east any day.

San Francisco is divine. I'm there almost on a monthly basis. It's only good for visiting though, unless you have (a lot of) money. A small studio (one room) apartment is at least $1800/month. If you want an apartment with a proper bedroom and such, at least $2500/month on average. They have amazing public transportation like the east coast, but in terms of finances, you're much better off in the east. California and New York are two states I rule out for anyone coming, most especially if they don't have anywhere to stay.

Hypothetically, if you were to stay with me (Ada no vex) or in my town, you wouldn't be able to survive without a car. I've only been to San Diego once (2008), so CFCbobo could tell you more.
This is really incisive. Thanks. At the end of the day it's difficult for a new comer to survive without having someone to squat with for some time. I would have really fancied SF or NYC(as per big city things) if not for the cost. But somehow i'll end up in these expensive cities. I no go go Wyoming or North Dakota because i wan live for America.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 06, 2013
adaobi123: Issokay ogugua. I trust you. grin

Lol. wink

Afam4eva: This is really incisive. Thanks. At the end of the day it's difficult for a new comer to survive without having someone to squat with for some time. I would have really fancied SF or NYC(as per big city things) if not for the cost. But somehow i'll end up in these expensive cities. I no go go Wyoming or North Dakota because i wan live for America.

You're welcome. cheesy

If squatting wasn't an issue, I'd recommend Arizona, Colorado, Utah. You may not get the glamour or dropping jaws when you tell folks where you live (or maybe you will cos all na Amelika), but at the end of the day, that's not why you're coming here. They're cheap, have diverse big cities in (Phoenix, Denver and Aspen, and Salt Lake City), and much better than Wyoming or ND lol.

As far as I'm concerned, NY and CA are the best the USA has to offer, as long as ego di. cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by texanomaly(f): 11:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
ozo_emeka: Reading is fundamental, if you could read you would see the PLETHORA of facts. Not this magic wonderland you are spewing on this thread.

Stand your ground that was motivated by what factor - come on say it, you are a smart girl..

Visit a library close to you and ask for history of racism in america, perhaps that will make you more of an american by enlightening you.

help yourself with these few
http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/editorials/article/Crack-cocaine-penalty-inequity-finally-reduced-3180229.php
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/promise/299/eliminate-disparity-in-sentencing-for-crack-and-co/

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=28501933d0e5c5344b21f9640dc13754

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1121504
People like you, who go on and on about past racism, are why we may never get past it. You spew your racial hate. Yes I said it. You are the racist here. I have never owned a slave. No one has for over two hundred years in the Unites States. I'm sick and tired of people like you who try to spread hate and keep the hate legacy alive. I have never, I repeat, never discriminated against anyone because of their race, creed, color or religion. All Americans are not racist. If you want to fight racism, start with yourself. Don't try to bring the rest of us down to your level.

6 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by texanomaly(f): 12:06am On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
I intend starting my own IT firm but first, it won't be a bad idea to work for some company for some time. I'm leaving Nigeria to put mind and sould together and then return much later. If i remain in Nigeria, i might join Ogboni. My head wan scatter for here.
Come to Lubbock, TX. Lubbock Independent School District is looking for IT personnel. They got a federal grant to upgrade all technology in the entire school district. Lots of technology, no one that knows what to do with it. It is also a great city for starting a business. smiley
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fckyourman: 12:07am On Oct 07, 2013
Why are American unis more expensive than uk. Imagine 34kusd to 50kusd per year for Uni in the us, how do you survive while uk is around 7,000£ to 13,000£. Do they give you scholarship for international student or anyone is granted financial aids.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Originalsly: 12:46am On Oct 07, 2013
babyosisi:

Don't get me started on NY
The first time I went there,At night on Times Square I was like a kid again
NY is beautiful but too expensive
I like to visit ,wouldn't wanna live there
Hey!...he would get the right mix in NY! Besides being expensive....everything else would be at his fingertips. No need for car....public transportation available 24/7...meet uour people..find your foods...your place of worship..the city never sleeps. If from Lagos you will feel at home. But...if you want peace and quiet...well ehmm..it is very peaceful for a large city...but if you want quiet, and you like to take things easy...laid back...walk slow...exchange courtesies....hello how are you today and the family and bla bla bla.....and kinda nosey....scratch New York City off your list!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by strangest(m): 1:20am On Oct 07, 2013
Am hoping to move soon with my fiancee to America and still needs some advice.
She is an American citizen though she's been in Nigeria for the past 30 years without a SSN. Passport has also been renewed. As a citizen, how easy will it be for her to get a loan,grant or scholarship to study nursing (or a two year course that will lead to a nursing degree). Also advise if OHIO will be convinient for her, thank you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.