Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,044 members, 7,863,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 01:56 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80550 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by axion(m): 2:25am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia and mannylife e don do nau angry
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 2:26am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

No one has argued with you with regard to your bill. This whole discussion started with you questioning manny4life's electric bill by comparing to what you pay. Apples and oranges. Just because you choose to pay that amount doesnt mean others do.

Why you bother bro, as i stated in the DC area you ain't going to get a $50 electric bill there is no way unless as i said you live by yourself or you don't use at all. So why anyway you don't let him stay here and justify what he said, unless you are the same person. He said he live here , you live with OBJ over there and yet you gonna take the fight for him>
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:27am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Una don hear am?

Good to see you,longest time
How time flies
I remember when I first met you here in 2006, you were relatively new and doing a masters,I am happy to see how well things have worked out for you.

My dear could you answer these questions

1. Did you get your admission from Nigeria?
How?
What exams did you do before applying and how did u apply?i

2. Did you have a scholarship?
How did you obtain it?

3. How did you get a job?

I hope my questions are not intrusive
It will be good for the readers to hear from someone who has done it recently

Wow
I am so happy for you
You don marry ?

davidylan

No shaking my sister.

1. Got my admission sitting in my small room in naija. Infact i had my interview lying in my bed.
I already knew what i wanted to do by my 3rd year in college so it was relatively easy to pick out 3-4 key schools, figure out the application requirements and contact the key folks a good 2 yrs in advance. The only exam i had to take was the standard GRE.

2. Yep, i had a full fellowship and it was part of the application process. One school i eventually turned down had me apply for a teaching assistantship right from naija (which i ended up getting). The NIH gives out huge grants to schools running Phd programs in the biomedical sciences that are available to international students... take advantage of it.

3. I searched for jobs in my field (most biomed fields have national organisations that run job banks - use them!) and landed an interview a few months before my thesis defense. Got a call after 3 months, company flew me out for an interview and i got an offer the next day. I have since changed jobs for almost double the pay. Easy.

Please you all should read davidylan's answers to my questions
That is what separates those who will make it from the others
They seek those answers out and make the moves
We left Nigeria when my Husband got a scholarship to study for a masters in Europe
This was way before Internet and emails when one had to go physically to libraries ( British council library) and dig out information and write letters and send telex.
He got admissions to two schools with scholarships that way.

You can't sit around and wait for an opportunity to land on your laps
You seek them out

Thanks for sharing bro

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by axion(m): 2:30am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:
Please you all should read davidylan's answers to my questions
That is what separates those who will make it from the others
They seek those answers out and make the moves
We left Nigeria when my Husband got a scholarship to study for a masters in Europe
This was way before Internet and emails when one had to go physically to libraries ( British council library) and dig out information
He got admissions to two schools with scholarships

Thanks for sharing
Thanks so much for all your useful info, I've learnt loads on this thread smiley

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 2:33am On Oct 18, 2013
axion: Gayigaskia and mannylife e don do nau angry

See me see trouble o, are we aggressive to each other? undecided I'm offering him solutions to his problem and nothing else... So it's you my bro that should chill out...aight cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:35am On Oct 18, 2013
David u don find nwa baby?
Come to your mother's people and find wife,you know we make good wives
I have relatives you can pick from
We want a solid inlaw kajara a kaja and I want to wear asho ebi for you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:40am On Oct 18, 2013
axion:
Thanks so much for all your useful info, I've learnt loads on this thread smiley

You are welcome
That was the whole essence of this thread

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:43am On Oct 18, 2013
Azu tilapia is also available in the US.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi: David u don find nwa baby?
Come to your mother's people and find wife,you know we make good wives
I have relatives you can pick from
We want a solid inlaw kajara a kaja and I want to wear asho ebi for you

my sister, as i dey look am e be like say that road don close oh. Na only oyinbo full this side. anyway, God talk say all of us na the same. grin

Where are your relatives? I cant see them oh. No naija for this side.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by frederal(m): 2:47am On Oct 18, 2013
ozo_emeka: "Tribalism is a million times worse" Where are your sources? Citations? References? Or are you just assuming in your "thick skull" that it should be so SINCE you THINK SO? I gave you facts, please support your BROAD claims with FACTS

Colossal lawsuits, you mean like the Trayvon Martin law suit that ended up with...Zimmerman acquitted? Oh yes, of course the justice system in the US is VERY VERY fair.once you get racially profiled you will get GAZILLIONS of dollars in compensation - OH YES! Lie to them.

Boko haram is slaughtering for religion, and you don't have psychos who do so in America in the name of the Lord? The CT shooting? Oh, of course you are FALSELY encouraging immigrants, so why mention that to them. Afterall, AMERICA IS PERFECT!

85% of people live in worse places? LMAO WOW the way you COME UP with your MAGIC numbers. Citation? References? I am waiting for TANGIBLE thoroughly researched EVIDENCE

You and the guy who claims magnet research is science, I don't know who is worse. I guess it's a nigerian thing huh, not having concrete facts

Mr man, u again! She has more knowledge and facts for Nigerian and American cases than you. If I may ask, what are you still doing in American? Come back to Nigeria na. Rubbish
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Stegomiah: 2:49am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan: Azu tilapia is also available in the US.
gringringringringrin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:50am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

my sister, as i dey look am e be like say that road don close oh. Na only oyinbo full this side. anyway, God talk say all of us na the same. grin

Where are your relatives? I cant see them oh. No naija for this side.

So you are bent on marrying a white woman
Chai David
No be today your eye begin look that side
My relatives are here in America,American born naijas
Beautiful girls

Where are you sef
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:52am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Chai David
Beautiful girls

Where are you sef

Daalu nne. grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:52am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
When you arrive in the US, a tuberculosis immunization card is necessary before you can even apply for the green card. You'll have to go to a primary health centre to take the shot.

To become a naturalized US citizen, one has to be a permanent resident (green card holder) for a minimum of 4 years. The application fee to the US Dept of Homeland Security is $450.

Gotcha.....i didn't know they had to do all that, im aware the application fees are ridiculous, my cousin had to pay over a grand for his parents some years ago.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:56am On Oct 18, 2013
Nemesis83:

Gotcha.....i didn't know they had to do all that, im aware the application fees are ridiculous, my cousin had to pay over a grand for his parents some years ago.

Yeah, the US government basically see immigrants as cash cows
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 3:06am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:

Yeah, the US government basically see immigrants as cash cows

Before nko

Imagine where the govt denies say 1million application annually x $680, that's free money to the govt. The govt denies millions of application, go figure.

Oh btw, the fee isn't $450, it's $585 plus $85 biometric fee ($680 total). undecided

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Click the link to see price table
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:06am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Chai David
Beautiful girls

Where are you sef

My sister, i keep asking folks. Where are these nigerian chics you all talk about? Point them out and i am there pronto. I like in NJ/PA.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 3:08am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

My sister, i keep asking folks. Where are these nigerian chics you all talk about? Point them out and i am there pronto. I like in NJ/PA.

You sef like better thin...

@babyosisi... Their waist, their waist, all he wants is their waist.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 3:09am On Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, I just had a brain fart grin grin

Waste instead of waist. embarassed embarassed
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:10am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Before nko

Imagine where the govt denies say 1million application annually x $680, that's free money to the govt. The govt denies millions of application, go figure.

Oh btw, the fee isn't $450, it's $585 plus $85 biometric fee ($680 total). undecided

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

The thing don increase massively!! That's like N105,000

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:11am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

You sef like better thin...

@babyosisi... Their waist, their waist, all he wants is their waist.. grin grin

My brother, if those chics are 50% as smart as babyosisi then my life is made for good. May God bless my hustle. Oya babyosisi i am not joking oh. Infact let me carry this convo offline.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Before nko

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy................. well with the benefits that comes with it, especially opportunities open to you if you're focused, then that's not bad
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:18am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

My brother, if those chics are 50% as smart as babyosisi then my life is made for good. May God bless my hustle. Oya babyosisi i am not joking oh. Infact let me carry this convo offline.
No be only you oh. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 3:19am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

I have been to a wedding in New Jersey, I think east coast got more beautiful naija babes than west coast. Why not try Houston, umu'asa are a whole lot out there
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:19am On Oct 18, 2013
Nemesis83:

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy................. well with the benefits that comes with it, especially opportunities open to you if you're focused, then that's not bad
Exactly. N105,000 shouldn't be too much for a banker to pony up cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:20am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
I have been to a wedding in New Jersey, I think east coast got more beautiful naija babes than west coast. When not try Houston?
Hmmm. I'm not sure about that.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 3:21am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
Hmmm. I'm not sure about that.
Where are the beautiful naija babes in west coast? I aint talking those artificial ones or big stomach girls.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:22am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
I have been to a wedding in New Jersey, I think east coast got more beautiful naija babes than west coast. Why not try Houston, umu'asa are a whole lot out there

So i hear. But if they exist here, they must live in cities i never visit.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:24am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

So i hear. But if they exist here, they must live in cities i never visit.

Yo, i got some connects for you in jersey city if you live in NJ........ sweet chic, doing her residency wink
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:24am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
Where are the beautiful naija babes in west coast? I aint talking those artificial ones or big stomach girls.
Ogugua88 is certainly a pretty babe, I've seen others in Los Angeles too.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 3:26am On Oct 18, 2013
Nemesis83:

Yo, i got some connects for you in jersey city if you live in NJ........ sweet chic, doing her residency wink

What? My friend's wife may know her. I'm all ears mr nemesis83
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 3:36am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
Ogugua88 is certainly a pretty babe, I've seen others in Los Angeles too.
I know a whole lot of naija LA babes, they kidnap ugly and are not well behaved. I have juggled both coast and will confidently tell you that east coast has more attractive naija girls than west.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (34) (Reply)

Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean / Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.