Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,394 members, 7,836,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80414 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 4:59am On Oct 18, 2013
cogicero:
Thanks Babyosisi.

Hi Davidylan, I see you are in the bio/med line, and I am in Engineering so I am not asking to be spoon-fed any technical details wink. Do you have any hints on states / towns that I can consider for fall-backs just in case I don't get into the schools I actually want to? I was told there are some areas in the US that seek diversity so they are usually more eager to admit international students plus more likely to give them funding. If you tell me such states / towns I will search for programs there. Thanks
Google is your best bet. I see articles on such here and there on yahoo news and on forbes magazine. Seeking diversity does not mean you won't pay your fees. A whole lot if naijas skip school after arrival, which put dents on naijas in Nigeria. I think for one to embark on such journey to states, one has to be financially capable of sustaining themselves for a year .
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:00am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
You paid that much for hospital because you were undocumented and making minimum wage.

I was just describing the typical experience. I have full company-paid health insurance and have never even had to use it once. Sorry.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 5:01am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi: Did someone say tuition is free in California for residents?
Is that true?
CFC you live in Cali
It is not true. You get Calgrants which does not cover everything.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by InvertedHammer: 5:03am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:

But Brits here such as Piers Morgan, Georgie Thompson, Isha Sesay (Sierra Leonian that has an English accent), do very well in the US broadcast media.
All a Nigerian immigrant needs is to 'modify' his/her accent a little.

Easier said than done. You said Brits. OK. Until you meet a Nigerian using hammer and chisel to carve English, then you will
know that accent pass accent.

You have to know that in a place like California, there is some untold cold war among all races/nationalities. Whites vs. Blacks,
Blacks vs. Africans, Phillipinos vs Chinese, Blacks vs. Hispanics, etc. It is endless strife that sometimes is carried over to the
work place.

In some places, all you need is one Indian manager and fellow Indians follow. Likewise the Chinese, Phillipinos, Japanese, etc.
But Nigeria managers avoid other Nigerians like plagues for obvious reasons...bad belle things. Just as the person that may
give you the most problems at work could be an "akata" who has vowed to deal with any African b/c of the way one of
your folks might have treated her or her relations.

Wahala no be small thing o. The only solace could be that when people are backstabbing you here, they do it with smile on
their face. No food poisoning, no juju; just plain old "put sand sand for your garri".
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:04am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

I was just describing the typical experience. I have full company-paid health insurance and have never even had to use it once. Sorry.

Go for your annual physicals o
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cogicero: 5:04am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

No one can tell you such things, they are mostly untrue anyway. I find what works best is to look for your schools and get in touch with your program director personally.
Ah I see. Someone mentioned schools in Utah, Ohio, Arizona and North Dakota as such places but I thought I could get more info on such locations. So I guess it's a rumor then. I'll try your advice, thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cogicero: 5:05am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
Google is your best bet. I see articles on such here and there on yahoo news and on forbes magazine. Seeking diversity does not mean you won't pay your fees. A whole lot if naijas skip school after arrival, which put dents on naijas in Nigeria. I think for one to embark on such journey to states, one has to be financially capable of sustaining themselves for a year .
Thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:05am On Oct 18, 2013
Zeddicus:
Thank you Sir.
I don't intend going for Masters in Environmental Biology because it wasn't my chosen course. Studied it due to the Jamb factor.
And yes I have not done my due diligence on Masters in the US. If you noticed I mentioned I ignored everything about the US because of the cost of education there. Only picked interest a few weeks ago because I just felt I should know what is involved.
I just want to know if it is possible to leverage on the fact that I already have a degree to study that course without the shenanigans of a fresher. It is what I want to do and what I applied for all along as I had my wahala with Jamb.

About the SAT. I am one of those that are not ashamed to ask questions no matter how stupid. Some of us have never been to Lagos and so I don't even know those materials are sold.
Thanks.

You have a good shot at studying environmental biology at the masters level. This is one of the resources i used back then - http://www.gradschools.com/

Search by program and then narrow down your choices by looking at what they offer, cost, available funding etc. Another angle you could explore is Canada. Cost of education is cheaper and you can actually work (after the first year i think) while going to school. Besides, you will be eligible to apply for a Canadian residency permit after schooling for one year. They are usually easy to get as long as you maintain your status as a student. The website i put up can also search Canadian progs too.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:06am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Go for your annual physicals o

lol my sister i hear you. I missed the last one due to work pressures. Will go when they open up again.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 5:07am On Oct 18, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Easier said than done. You said Brits. OK. Until you meet a Nigerian using hammer and chisel to carve English , then you will

I literally rolled off my bed LMAO cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:07am On Oct 18, 2013
cogicero:
Ah I see. Someone mentioned schools in Utah, Ohio, Arizona and North Dakota as such places but I thought I could get more info on such locations. So I guess it's a rumor then. I'll try your advice, thanks.

They lied to you. Arizona, for example, is quite an expensive place to live. Ohio is not cheap either. Areas like North Dakota and Utah are deserts lol.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 5:08am On Oct 18, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Easier said than done. You said Brits. OK. Until you meet a Nigerian using hammer and chisel to carve English, then you will

You have to know that in a place like California, there is some untold cold war among all races/nationalities. Whites vs. Blacks,
Blacks vs. Africans, Phillipinos vs Chinese, Blacks vs. Hispanics, etc. It is endless strife that sometimes is carried over to the
work place.

In some places, all you need is one Indian manager and fellow Indians follow. Likewise the Chinese, Phillipinos, Japanese, etc.
But Nigeria managers avoid other Nigerians like plagues for obvious reasons...bad belle things. Just as the person that may
give you the most problems at work could be an "akata" who has vowed to deal with any African b/c of the way one of
your folks might have treated her or her relations.

Wahala no be small thing o. The only solace could be that when people are backstabbing you here, they do it with smile on
their face. No food poisoning, no juju; just plain old "put sand sand for your garri".
You are right but this does not exist in professional job settings though. I witness same when I was working menial job while in college.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by cogicero: 5:09am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

They lied to you. Arizona, for example, is quite an expensive place to live. Ohio is not cheap either. Areas like North Dakota and Utah are deserts lol.
Lol
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi: Did someone say tuition is free in California for residents?
Is that true?
CFC you live in Cali
To an extent. In the uni, I was given state grants and federal grants. I also received some grants from the school itself. Yeah, if you are a California resident, there is a high probability of your tuition being essentially free.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:11am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

You have a good shot at studying environmental biology at the masters level. This is one of the resources i used back then - http://www.gradschools.com/

Search by program and then narrow down your choices by looking at what they offer, cost, available funding etc. Another angle you could explore is Canada. Cost of education is cheaper and you can actually work (after the first year i think) while going to school. Besides, you will be eligible to apply for a Canadian residency permit after schooling for one year. They are usually easy to get as long as you maintain your status as a student. The website i put up can also search Canadian progs too.
Thanks a lot.
Sorry if I am dragging things out but what are the prospects like for Environmental Biology and any reasons why you don't want me to go for the course I mentioned?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:12am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Very smart for a 20 sumtin year old I must say
Take your time
Around 31- 34 you start looking to settle
Not later
Definitely planning on getting married in my 30s, I still want to enjoy life cheesy
Thanks for the compliment though cool
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:16am On Oct 18, 2013
Zeddicus:
Thanks a lot.
Sorry if I am dragging things out but what are the prospects like for Environmental Biology and any reasons why you don't want me to go for the course I mentioned?

Because the visa officer will deny you straight up. They know you can take medical lab tech in naija for a fraction of the cost. Environmental biology on the other hand is not as common in naija (at least you can say that at your visa interview) and you stand a far better chance of getting a good masters program. My advice would be to actually look for and apply for a phd program, you will get full funding (or at least an assistantship position that pays your tuition and still gives you a stipend). After your quals, you can quit and still get your masters. Max 2 yrs.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:23am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

Because the visa officer will deny you straight up. They know you can take medical lab tech in naija for a fraction of the cost. Environmental biology on the other hand is not as common in naija (at least you can say that at your visa interview) and you stand a far better chance of getting a good masters program. My advice would be to actually look for and apply for a phd program, you will get full funding (or at least an assistantship position that pays your tuition and still gives you a stipend). After your quals, you can quit and still get your masters. Max 2 yrs.
Wow. So much info in so short time! Thanks a lot.
So it is actually possible to do phd before Msc? Please any info on requirements etc? Maybe a web portal or would the one you gave earlier suffice?
Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 5:24am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:
To an extent. In the uni, I was given state grants and federal grants. I also received some grants from the school itself. Yeah, if you are a California resident, there is a high probability of your tuition being essentially free.
I received financial aid, pell grants and calgrants yet paid huge chunk also. I am an American citizen, If its that easy how come a whole lot of white, asian and hispanic americans work in placea like subway, starbucks and then attend college part time? You still have to pay bro.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
I received financial aid, pell grants and calgrants yet paid huge chunk also. I am an American citizen, If its that easy how come a whole lot of white, asian and hispanic americans work in placea like subway, starbucks and then attend college part time? You still have to pay bro.

Bro, I attended a State university here (a CSU), and I never had to pay out of pocket. The federal grants I received were over $2,000 per semester, while the State grant covered the rest of my tuition. On top of that, I also received some "pocket money" from the govt grants: the balance left after the grants had paid the tuition. In the Fall semester of 2012, I received $2,100 as left-over from the grants.

Same thing applied to my community college days.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:30am On Oct 18, 2013
Zeddicus:
So it is actually possible to do phd before Msc? Please any info on requirements etc? Maybe a web portal or would the one you gave earlier suffice?
Thanks.

You cannot do a phd without a Msc. However some programs are structured such that you apply for a phd while getting your masters along the way. Again you really shouldnt be asking for "info on requirements", these are things you should be searching for yourself. Its like many of you simply want others to do the work for you while you just sit and eat garri. the link i sent earlier has all the info you will ever need, including direct links to the schools. I doubt you even bothered to check it out.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dayokanu(m): 5:34am On Oct 18, 2013
Zeddicus:
Thanks.

You need to get on the web and research all these yourself. These are stuffs the consular officer would ask you and you saying I was given the information by Davidylan wont convince anyone

In the process of researching you would get many facts about what made you choose the course and school and who your intending academic adviser did and why you chose him
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:38am On Oct 18, 2013
dayokanu:

You need to get on the web and research all these yourself. These are stuffs the consular officer would ask you and you saying I was given the information by Davidylan wont convince anyone

In the process of researching you would get many facts about what made you choose the course and school and who your intending academic adviser did and why you chose him
davidylan:

You cannot do a phd without a Msc. However some programs are structured such that you apply for a phd while getting your masters along the way. Again you really shouldnt be asking for "info on requirements", these are things you should be searching for yourself. Its like many of you simply want others to do the work for you while you just sit and eat garri. the link i sent earlier has all the info you will ever need, including direct links to the schools. I doubt you even bothered to check it out.
dayokanu:

Thanks. I am already checking it out.
I am not looking to be spoon fed. Just felt I should ask for more specifics.
I have already seen valuable links on the site and on Google too.
Thanks a lot Sirs.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 5:40am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan:

Bro, I attended a State university here (a CSU), and I never had to pay out of pocket. The federal grants I received were over $2,000 per semester, while the State grant covered the rest of my tuition. On top of that, I also received some "pocket money" from the govt grants: the balance left after the grants had paid the tuition. In the Fall semester of 2012, I received $2,100 as left-over from the grants.

Same thing applied to my community college days.
I went to a UC and that's where I had my experience. I took classes in JC also and paid out of my pocket, they said I didn't qualify for financial aids.do you know that UC BERKELEY students were protesting school fees hike not too long?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 5:46am On Oct 18, 2013
bootlegaz:
I went to a UC and that's where I had my experience. I took classes in JC also and paid out of my pocket, they said I didn't qualify for financial aids.do you know that UC BERKELEY students were protesting school fees hike not too long?
Yeah, I heard about it too. The CA state govt is practically broke, hence the massive cuts in education funding.
To qualify for financial aid, I believe one has to earn less than $30,000 and/or be a dependent.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bassette(m): 5:49am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Wonderful!
Biko don't promise anyone marriage at home o
Just come here as an unentangled man and if you find nwa baby here that fits you marry am
Make sure you get signed copies of your transcripts in sealed envelopes or put machinery in place back home how it could be easily obtained when you need it.
Stay focused
Have your eyes on a goal and don't deviate from it
You will make it
My hubby and I came here with only about $350 in our pockets and the rest is history glory be to God
Don't let anyone discourage you.It is not easy but it is do-able
Chinese and Vietnamese come here speaking no English,learn English and excel how much more you
This is a land of opportunities
thank you thank you!!!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by iLUMeN8(m): 5:53am On Oct 18, 2013
@babyosis and uzoemeka.
Is it really possible for a graduate of life sciences (biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology etc) to get a fully funded Msc research scholarship in the US? If it is, how does one go about it?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by bootlegaz: 5:58am On Oct 18, 2013
iLUMeN8: @babyosis and uzoemeka.
Is it really possible for a graduate of life sciences (biology, microbiology, biochemistry, biotechnology etc) to get a fully funded Msc research scholarship in the US? If it is, how does one go about it?
I think you should apply through one of those black organizations in states. A friend got a full ride scholarship to Cornell which is an ivy league school
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by martyns303(m): 6:18am On Oct 18, 2013
@Babyosisi. My brother just got admission, we'v received a letter containing his CAS with which we processed his visa, but he's planning on also running another program in a different institution, am not sure how he plans on doing it, I just want to know, can he use the same study visa to study in another school beside the one the visa was issued for?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 18, 2013
martyns303: @Babyosisi. My brother just got admission, we'v received a letter containing his CAS with which we processed his visa, but he's planning on also running another program in a different institution, am not sure how he plans on doing it, I just want to know, can he use the same study visa to study in another school beside the one the visa was issued for?

Is he planning to run this program as part time? He has to be enrolled at the school on his visa full time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (34) (Reply)

Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria / 2 people Die As Helicopter Crashes Into Building in Opebi / How Much Does It Cost To Travel By Road From Lagos To Ghana?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.