Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,035 members, 7,863,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:39 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80549 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 1:43am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

My sister na you? grin Happiness don grip my bodi as i see your name for the thread.

Yep, not too long a story but came in 9 year ago with a student visa and a bachelors. Spent 5 yrs earning a masters and a phd. Got a job and already converting to a Green card in a few months. Everything came relatively easy for me (thank God). All that counts is to have a goal, stay on the right side of the law and work very hard. America is not as difficult as some make it to be.

Bros you don try o... Masters and PhD in 5years? You better be earning a $1million annually o... grin

You're just getting a GC now? Hang in there, few more years to go and you qualify for citizenship grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 1:45am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

Many people live in a 2-storey home with basement and dont pay the ridiculous amount you pay. The high cost is solely your choice. Its all a part of the nigerian mentality - they think high cost = how wealthy i am.

Dude stop judging, you don't know like that. Just because you lived in the US in the 80's 0r 90';s don't assume it still the same way. If you own a house in the DC area i bet you will pay at least $200 in Gaz and electric. Unless you don't live in there or you live there and don't turn the heat and hot water in the house. Now if you have kids your heat has to stay on or you will see the Doctor every week . just my 2 cents
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:45am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

My sister na you? grin Happiness don grip my bodi as i see your name for the thread.

Yep, not too long a story but came in 9 year ago with a student visa and a bachelors. Spent 5 yrs earning a masters and a phd. Got a job and already converting to a Green card in a few months. Everything came relatively easy for me (thank God). All that counts is to have a goal, stay on the right side of the law and work very hard. America is not as difficult as some make it to be.

Una don hear am?

Good to see you,longest time
How time flies
I remember when I first met you here in 2006, you were relatively new and doing a masters,I am happy to see how well things have worked out for you.

My dear could you answer these questions

1. Did you get your admission from Nigeria?
How?
What exams did you do before applying and how did u apply?i

2. Did you have a scholarship?
How did you obtain it?

3. How did you get a job?

I hope my questions are not intrusive
It will be good for the readers to hear from someone who has done it recently

Wow
I am so happy for you
You don marry ?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:47am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Bros you don try o... Masters and PhD in 5years? You better be earning a $1million annually o... grin

You're just getting a GC now? Hang in there, few more years to go and you qualify for citizenship grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin............. My point exactly!!!!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

Dude stop judging, you don't know like that. Just because you lived in the US in the 80's 0r 90';s don't assume it still the same way. If you own a house in the DC area i bet you will pay at least $200 in Gaz and electric. Unless you don't live in there or you live there and don't turn the heat and hot water in the house. Now if you have kids your heat has to stay on or you will see the Doctor every week . just my 2 cents

Take your own advice.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 18, 2013
For those of you interested in obtaining the Green card, you'll have to have an immunization card and apply thru a lawyer.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 1:50am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

How can you not turn heat or hot water? Hot water is minute compared to heat or other appliances in your home.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:50am On Oct 18, 2013
CFCfan: For those of you interested in obtaining the Green card, you'll have to have an immunization card and apply thru a lawyer.

WTF is immunization card?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:51am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Your average Phd program takes 5 yrs... what was your point?

I'm not in a particular hurry. Many with US passports can barely put food on their table.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Prymestrr(m): 1:52am On Oct 18, 2013
@davidylan n babyosisi... I need ur honest advice/opinión. I'm currently in my final year studying banking and finance in Nigeria n set 2 graduate in approximately 2 months tym. I intend 2 come 2 the states for my masters in finance field(maybe economics, biz admin, acct. Etc, just not certain yet) n if need be, settle permanently. I've been researching on public colleges in d US comparing cost n all but 1 college in particular did catch my attention - University of Florida. Pls can u tell me what's actually obtainable in my situation in respect 2 gaining admission in2 d college 4 graduate studies n also the basic requirements dt might be required of me by d college in terms of qualifications besides my b.sc degree. Also what r the challenges i might face in term of fees n my chances of qualifying 4 scholarship grants. Thanks y'all!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 1:55am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

Your average Phd program takes 5 yrs... what was your point?

I'm not in a particular hurry. Many with US passports can barely put food on their table.

I was congratulating you na, I only asked because my older sis who's working on her PhD in Finance is almost 3yrs on the program... Although you said Masters and PhD and I thought that was GREAT.

Abeg no vex o.... There's no point to it, I just thought it was amazing.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 1:56am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

How can you not turn heat or hot water? Hot water is minute compared to heat or other appliances in your home.
I doubt you stayed in Michigan before.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by adconline(m): 1:56am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

Most six figure earners do not have money saved up on somewhere, some have their money tied up in their asset, some have liabilities and the funny system here is: the more you earn, the more you're likely to pay more. So no, there's no money tied up somewhere, MOST people live from check to check, it's hard for people to save, it takes GREAT FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE to save.
Yes, most six figure earners have Naija " I have arrived mentality" yes, but you are no baller or celebrity. If you buy a used 2008 Toyota Camry instead of that 2013 GL450, it shall be well with u. Yes, you have a pay raise, but not in a geometric progression, so ur expenses shouldn't have to.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jerrytailad: 1:57am On Oct 18, 2013
@babyosis and others,u've done a great job here. Kudos to ur brilliant response to question frm diffrt background. @babyosis must av learnt great lessons frm d world. U're unique!!

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jidesp(m): 1:58am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

You started with posting pictures of abandoned houses as a picture of America
That is preaching falsehood

Most of believes America is paved with gold. I think its a good thing he showed what to expect if things go wrong. Both of you are doing great by showing us what it means to buckle up when you live abroad. I would even advice you tell people to look at his thread as well.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:58am On Oct 18, 2013
babyosisi:

Una don hear am?

Good to see you,longest time
How time flies
I remember when I first met you here in 2006, you were relatively new and doing a masters,I am happy to see how well things have worked out for you.

My dear could you answer these questions

1. Did you get your admission from Nigeria?
How?
What exams did you do before applying and how did u apply?i

2. Did you have a scholarship?
How did you obtain it?

3. How did you get a job?

I hope my questions are not intrusive
It will be good for the readers to hear from someone who has done it recently

Wow
I am so happy for you
You don marry ?

No shaking my sister.

1. Got my admission sitting in my small room in naija. Infact i had my interview lying in my bed. grin
I already knew what i wanted to do by my 3rd year in college so it was relatively easy to pick out 3-4 key schools, figure out the application requirements and contact the key folks a good 2 yrs in advance. The only exam i had to take was the standard GRE.

2. Yep, i had a full fellowship and it was part of the application process. One school i eventually turned down had me apply for a teaching assistantship right from naija (which i ended up getting). The NIH gives out huge grants to schools running Phd programs in the biomedical sciences that are available to international students... take advantage of it.

3. I searched for jobs in my field (most biomed fields have national organisations that run job banks - use them!) and landed an interview a few months before my thesis defense. Got a call after 3 months, company flew me out for an interview and i got an offer the next day. I have since changed jobs for almost double the pay. Easy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 2:00am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:
I doubt you stayed in Michigan before.

Shey na me talk say I live for Michigan?

I'm talking about Alexandria VA, where 1kw of electricity from Dominion is about 11cent/Kwh and that doesn't include taxes, transmission and county fees etc. Therefore, it requires GREAT DISCIPLINE to cut on electricity because it ain't cheap. In Michigan, it could be half the price or a lil higher than half, but cost wise isn't comparable to larger cities. NY for instance has a higher cost to DC, you can't compare both... So please, leave MI outta this. My focus was on Alexandria/DC Metro area.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:00am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

I was congratulating you na, I only asked because my older sis who's working on her PhD in Finance is almost 3yrs on the program... Although you said Masters and PhD and I thought that was GREAT.

Abeg no vex o.... There's no point to it, I just thought it was amazing.

thanks. If you work hard with a focus, you can make it. Someone i know did his in 4 yrs flat.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 2:03am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

Take your own advice.

I see you paying games . instead of addressing the issue which you clearly understood, you want to address typos. I'd better switch off this conversation with you.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 18, 2013
Pryme-st*rr:
@davidylan n babyosisi... I need ur honest advice/opinión. I'm currently in my final year studying banking and finance in Nigeria n set 2 graduate in approximately 2 months tym. I intend 2 come 2 the states for my masters in finance field(maybe economics, biz admin, acct. Etc, just not certain yet) n if need be, settle permanently. I've been researching on public colleges in d US comparing cost n all but 1 college in particular did catch my attention - University of Florida. Pls can u tell me what's actually obtainable in my situation in respect 2 gaining admission in2 d college 4 graduate studies n also the basic requirements dt might be required of me by d college in terms of qualifications besides my b.sc degree. Also what r the challenges i might face in term of fees n my chances of qualifying 4 scholarship grants. Thanks y'all!

Most requests like yours that come in the email i dismiss right away. If you need someone to look up your school requirements for you then you dont strike me as seriously interested in study. By now you should be able to recite your program director's phone number in your sleep. You have a computer... google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:04am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

I see you paying games . instead of addressing the issue which you clearly understood, you want to address typos. I'd better switch off this conversation with you.

you should. you ran out of points long ago. Take home message for you - just because you CHOOSE to overpay on your bills doesnt mean others should.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 2:05am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Shey na me talk say I live for Michigan?

I'm talking about Alexandria VA, where 1kw of electricity from Dominion is about 11cent/Kwh and that doesn't include taxes, transmission and county fees etc. Therefore, it requires GREAT DISCIPLINE to cut on electricity because it ain't cheap. In Michigan, it could be half the price or a lil higher than half, but cost wise isn't comparable to larger cities. NY for instance has a higher cost to DC, you can't compare both... So please, leave MI outta this. My focus was on Alexandria/DC Metro area.
I live in MD i guess you can google it to find how much we are paying here.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:06am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

My cousin lives there with a husband and 2 young daughters. She has a home there too. She doesnt pay $300 in G/E. Perhaps you should go to sleep.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:07am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

My cousin lives there with a husband and 2 young daughters. She has a home there too. She doesnt pay $300 in G/E. Perhaps you should go to sleep.

Bro nobody dey see you for religion section again?

How's work?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 18, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Bro nobody dey see you for religion section again?

How's work?

bros lol, na devil full there now. I get work abeg. We dey, thank God. contribute to thread oh make we no derail am.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 2:10am On Oct 18, 2013
davidylan:

This what i pay i said average $250 to $300 , i pay not what some imaginary sister told me
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 18, 2013
Nemesis83:

WTF is immunization card?
When you arrive in the US, a tuberculosis immunization card is necessary before you can even apply for the green card. You'll have to go to a primary health centre to take the shot.

To become a naturalized US citizen, one has to be a permanent resident (green card holder) for a minimum of 4 years. The application fee to the US Dept of Homeland Security is $450.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 2:11am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

Bros, MD is cheaper in electricity than it is for VA, Pepco got it good for you guys, MD has consumer protective laws, we in VA DON'T. Then again, the topic @ hand is relative (based on individual experience), though I do not have friends ith kids who live in MD, however, homes being cheap there makes it easier for them to buy bigger houses. They don't pay $250 a month let alone $300. That's way too much.

Central heating accounts about 55% of electricity in your home, you should look into that

Your hot water heating account for 10-14%, you should look into that as well

My final recommendation, do like my sister did.... Hire a HOME ENERGY AUDITOR to audit your systems for you. This will give you a clear view of what's consuming so much electricity in your house. No one should be paying $3,600 annually in electricity and gas.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Gayigaskia(m): 2:14am On Oct 18, 2013
manny4life:

Bros, MD is cheaper in electricity than it is for VA, Pepco got it good for you guys, MD has consumer protective laws, we in VA DON'T. Then again, the topic @ hand is relative (based on individual experience), though I do not have friends ith kids who live in MD, however, homes being cheap there makes it easier for them to buy bigger houses. They don't pay $250 a month let alone $300. That's way too much.

Central heating accounts about 55% of electricity in your home, you should look into that

Your hot water heating account for 10-14%, you should look into that as well

My final recommendation, do like my sister did.... Hire a HOME ENERGY AUDITOR to audit your systems for you. This will give you a clear view of what's consuming so much electricity in your house. No one should be paying $3,600 annually in electricity and gas.

Bro i am paying close to $3000 a year that is what i'am telling you. Delivery charges maybe higher in MD than VA ok.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by nigerfine: 2:17am On Oct 18, 2013
nigerfine lives in Houston ,tx.... This tread is full of arguments and counter-arguments. everyone has his opinion.
my perspective in this regard are as follow;
1.PAPER.......if you like have a phd if you have no work permit ,you will work someone else paper and be paid less than 10 dollar per hour if you are lucky
2.if you a doctor, you huddle is much, at the end if you are not so determined......prisons becomes your parmernent work place
3 if you ve a good job in Nigeria...hold it tight
4 more than 80 per cent of non American school graduate[schooled abroad],starts afresh in their course or other courses; if you cant spear 3to 5 years more in school...forget it.
5i will hussle...ok, you earn 3k per month, not bad; rent 1 bed room[fairly developed area]500, light 80, phone 50, food[one person] 300,fuel and others, you will find it hard to save 1k, if married ; you are on your own.
by and large, come and suffer if you don't ve green card, but at the end you either regret or love it.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:20am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia: This what i pay i said average $250 to $300 , i pay not what some imaginary sister told me

No one has argued with you with regard to your bill. This whole discussion started with you questioning manny4life's electric bill by comparing to what you pay. Apples and oranges. Just because you choose to pay that amount doesnt mean others do.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 2:22am On Oct 18, 2013
Gayigaskia:

Bro i am paying close to $3000 a year that is what i'am telling you. Delivery charges maybe higher in MD than VA ok.

I'm not saying you aren't, but for cheaper electricity in MD and you're paying that exorbitant amount, my concern is that amount is WAY TOO HIGH. Honestly though, please contact an "ENERGY AUDITOR" from a reputable company. They will assess your entire system and provide necessary recommendation. Like they recommended to my sister, they had to purchase newer appliances, did some insulation work from windows to walls, I mean it was worth the money. Guess what, two months after the audit, their bill shrunk to 40% of what they paid...Three years and counting, their bill is in same range.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (34) (Reply)

Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean / Beautiful Pictures Of Most Nigerian Cities / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.