Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,524 members, 7,826,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80366 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by HUBBI: 10:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
Can a family sponsored green card applicant awaiting I-130 form approval travel out and re-enter America without jeopardizing his green card processing?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by HUBBI: 11:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Babyosisi,

Can you please recommend a good vocation fashion designing school in Georgia especially Atlanta?
Thanks.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:35am On Oct 19, 2013
babyosisi: Oya if you have enjoyed this thread,please click on my signature ,join in and come and know more about me.
I will be grateful

But this is not right now
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 4:25am On Oct 19, 2013
HUBBI: Can a family sponsored green card applicant awaiting I-130 form approval travel out and re-enter America without jeopardizing his green card processing?

If you travel out of the USA with a pending approval without an advance parole permit,you cannot re enter and your green card application will be cancelled and you may not be eligible for a visa for many years
Don't try it.
The consequence is big
You cannot leave until a decision has been made

You should have applied for an advance parole at the same time

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 5:21am On Oct 19, 2013
babyosisi:

I di serious?
I am not joking too

Ngwanu you know how to reach me
I know decent girls from decent parents
One sef has Igbo mother and Yoruba dad like you
. Hi babyosisi, once again I am amazed at your patience and verse knowledge that's evident in the way you respond to practically every question asked on this thread! More grace! But on a lighter note, the highlighted post caught my attention, not for my self though (because I am happily married to the best wife in the world lol!) ,but for my immediate younger brother. He is an engineer (mechanical/production), presently working with a power firm here in abuja nigeria, so what's up? Are you for real? If yes then we can take it up from there. He is not on nairaland though, but I can handle all correspondence. Thanks in advance.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 5:26am On Oct 19, 2013
Hahaha
Na wife una want now?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nozzle(m): 6:35am On Oct 19, 2013
fratochi: . Hi babyosisi, once again I am amazed at your patience and verse knowledge that's evident in the way you respond to practically every question asked on this thread! More grace! But on a lighter note, the highlighted post caught my attention, not for my self though (because I am happily married to the best wife in the world lol!) ,but for my immediate younger brother. He is an engineer (mechanical/production), presently working with a power firm here in abuja nigeria, so what's up? Are you for real? If yes then we can take it up from there. He is not on nairaland though, but I can handle all correspondence. Thanks in advance.
bros take this ur wife hunting adventure to the romance/ dating section abeg let's focus on real issues here at least the reason for the thread. if if your brother, with his good credential and good job cannot find a wife for himself make he go wash him head for bar beach!
@ aunty osisi, na u biko, I can't thank you enough for this thread. for some of us you have answered some very critical questions we really had no answer to. I am a marine engr working here in nigeria my fiancé is a pharmacist currently lives n works in nigeria too. She just gt her PR (green card)last yr through her dad who is a medical doctor in d states and ofcos a citizen. Now the dad wants her to come for her MBA and work in the US. I am fine with that cos I am also considering doing my MSc in process control eng and work in the main stream energy sector and not shipping where I have worked as a marine eng here in Nigeria. However, i have my fears and the major ones are funding and time. MSc in US is 2 yrs, I will have to leave my job for 2 years. Within which we wud defintely get married and surely that's more expensive. Though her father will sponsor her MBA program as promised but I still have my reservations, what of If he decides to pull out after our marriage. As for the 2 years MSc program my company will not give a 2-yr study leave in other words going for MSc in the US is auto resignation for me. Uk schools on the other hand are a lot favorable I even got a school in Canada that offers process control eng MEng on just one year. So the questions are; how well do US fancy MSc from other countries like UK and Canada? Are there one year MSc degrees in eng. How available are jobs in d energy sector in the US? Is MBA ideal for my fiancé? She has BSc in Pharmacy from Nigeria. How can we use her status as a green card holder to our advantage?
Hope u understand my story. The thing dey confuse me self lol

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by immortallity: 6:41am On Oct 19, 2013
thank you very much everyone for this wonderful thread. I'm a medical student and would be graduating next year. I really want to get further trained in the u.s and if possible get a job and reside there. I would like to know 1. How advisable is this 2. When is the best time to leave 3. How realistic is this 4. How easy is it to get into residency or get a job 5. What are the requirements and how would i go about it. Thanks a lot. I would really appreciate an honest answer.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 7:59am On Oct 19, 2013
Nozzle: bros take this ur wife hunting adventure to the romance/ dating section abeg let's focus on real issues here at least the reason for the thread. if if your brother, with his good credential and good job cannot find a wife for himself make he go wash him head for bar beach!
@ aunty osisi, na u biko, I can't thank you enough for this thread. for some of us you have answered some very critical questions we really had no answer to. I am a marine engr working here in nigeria my fiancé is a pharmacist currently lives n works in nigeria too. She just gt her PR (green card)last yr through her dad who is a medical doctor in d states and ofcos a citizen. Now the dad wants her to come for her MBA and work in the US. I am fine with that cos I am also considering doing my MSc in process control eng and work in the main stream energy sector and not shipping where I have worked as a marine eng here in Nigeria. However, i have my fears and the major ones are funding and time. MSc in US is 2 yrs, I will have to leave my job for 2 years. Within which we wud defintely get married and surely that's more expensive. Though her father will sponsor her MBA program as promised but I still have my reservations, what of If he decides to pull out after our marriage. As for the 2 years MSc program my company will not give a 2-yr study leave in other words going for MSc in the US is auto resignation for me. Uk schools on the other hand are a lot favorable I even got a school in Canada that offers process control eng MEng on just one year. So the questions are; how well do US fancy MSc from other countries like UK and Canada? Are there one year MSc degrees in eng. How available are jobs in d energy sector in the US? Is MBA ideal for my fiancé? She has BSc in Pharmacy from Nigeria. How can we use her status as a green card holder to our advantage?
. My friend you sound like an educated and informed person but need I remind you that respect for peoples opinion and good manners (rather than insults and fowl speaking) is still part of education. I guess you get my message now! Mr MARINE ENGINEER! Without manners! God bless you real good! @ babyosisi please my. Post still needs ur response inspite of the rude interruption. Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 19, 2013
fratochi: . My friend you sound like an educated and informed person but need I remind you that respect for peoples opinion and good manners (rather than insults and fowl speaking) is still part of education. I guess you get my message now! Mr MARINE ENGINEER! Without manners! God bless you real good! @ babyosisi please my. Post still needs ur response inspite of the rude interruption. Thanks again.

cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by afroxyz: 10:08am On Oct 19, 2013
@OP: biko, answer my question in page 25 na
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ayodeji752: 10:37am On Oct 19, 2013
@Babyosisi,u are a wonderful woman. @everybody,pls i need ur advice cos u guys know more dan i do. I am a 600L dentistry student of ui.i'm thinking of relocating to either Canada or US after leaving school but i'm still confused which one would be better for me. I mean d beta country between d two countries dat supports my profession.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nozzle(m): 10:56am On Oct 19, 2013
fratochi: . My friend you sound like an educated and informed person but need I remind you that respect for peoples opinion and good manners (rather than insults and fowl speaking) is still part of education. I guess you get my message now! Mr MARINE ENGINEER! Without manners! God bless you real good! @ babyosisi please my. Post still needs ur response inspite of the rude interruption. Thanks again.
Jezzzzz engineer without manners! That's really bad for the Profession lol seriously now, Fratochi no vex abeg, u know say everybody get problem for this country and we all dey find find solution to our issues, I took my time to go through the whole thread and as I was about to share mine I come begin see "i need a wife". If you were in my shoes wetin you go do. I had to nip it in the bud at some point. No vex bros, it would interest you to know some one like babyosisi introduced my fiancé to me... So fratochi you are on track. Wish your brother the very best. Yours Sincerely
Nozzle

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by dolpaz: 11:07am On Oct 19, 2013
ayodeji752: @Babyosisi,u are a wonderful woman. @everybody,pls i need ur advice cos u guys know more dan i do. I am a 600L dentistry student of ui.i'm thinking of relocating to either Canada or US after leaving school but i'm still confused which one would be better for me. I mean d beta country between d two countries dat supports my profession.
@Ayodeji, do urself a favour of reading from page 15 upward..that question have been answered teytey...the bottom line is you will need a lot of ego (money) for funding..both countries are good..so make the wisest decision !!!

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 19, 2013
@babyosisi, david, CFC et al...please, does having a good score in GRE qualifies one for a full or partial scholarship to study a postgraduate course in the States?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 12:14pm On Oct 19, 2013
Nozzle: Jezzzzz engineer without manners! That's really bad for the Profession lol seriously now, Fratochi no vex abeg, u know say everybody get problem for this country and we all dey find find solution to our issues, I took my time to go through the whole thread and as I was about to share mine I come begin see "i need a wife". If you were in my shoes wetin you go do. I had to nip it in the bud at some point. No vex bros, it would interest you to know some one like babyosisi introduced my fiancé to me... So fratochi you are on track. Wish your brother the very best. Yours Sincerely. That's more like it bros! Thanks for the maturity and God bless!

Nozzle
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 12:15pm On Oct 19, 2013
[quote author=fratochi][/quote]. That's more like it bros! Thanks for the maturity and God bless!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nozzle(m): 1:16pm On Oct 19, 2013
@ babyosisi, still waiting for your response ma.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2013
@babyosisi pls what is the best career that pays more nd with which someone can easily get a job with in u.s. is it nursing or elect engr? cos am interested in both

pls i rily need ur urgent reply on this cos i am trying to make a descision on career to choose to study in u.s. texas to be precise
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by ZionSpecie(m): 4:05pm On Oct 19, 2013
Mehn, I'm finally here!. I started from page one two days ago when I saw the link on FrontPage. it was a lil long journey. @mamaosisi you are a leader indeed. Kudos to all the Nigerian Americans that have contributed selflessly on this thread. Please keep it up. God bless you.
#NowFFing

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 4:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
immortallity: thank you very much everyone for this wonderful thread. I'm a medical student and would be graduating next year. I really want to get further trained in the u.s and if possible get a job and reside there. I would like to know 1. How advisable is this 2. When is the best time to leave 3. How realistic is this 4. How easy is it to get into residency or get a job 5. What are the requirements and how would i go about it. Thanks a lot. I would really appreciate an honest answer.

The rest of the questions are already answered
You need evidence of completion of house job and full registration with NMDC
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
Nozzle: bros take this ur wife hunting adventure to the romance/ dating section abeg let's focus on real issues here at least the reason for the thread. if if your brother, with his good credential and good job cannot find a wife for himself make he go wash him head for bar beach!

First of all,what does a pharmacist need an MBA for?
She has to define what she wants to do with an MBA
Rather than go that route,why doesn't she figure out the steps to obtain licensing in her field then update to a PharmD which is the terminal pharmacy degree in the USA
That IMHO will be more beneficial than an MBA
Yes it will also cost money but if her dad is willing yo support her in an MBA,I guess he will do so here too.

Concerning you,the USA and Canada have reciprocity in a lot of things
If you are licensed in the UK you will redo the exams when you come here but if you train in Canada and are licensed and come here,your qualification is just as good as if you got them in the USA ,you will just need to apply for medicine I know for sure
I suppose engineering will be same
If you had a choice of UK and Canada and ultimately planning to settle in the USA I will say move to Canada
You may even find out that you and wifey may prefer to settle there eventually.

If I could wind the clock back,knowing what I know now and I could pick where to move to
I would move to Canada.
I fell in love when I visited
It is like a mix of what I like in the USA ,and what I like in the UK

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 5:04pm On Oct 19, 2013
For those who want to know about violence in the USA

Yes there is gun violence and assaults but those of us here know where they are likely to occur in every city
Nigerians usually don't live in those areas and have no business in those areas for the most part.
Majority of Nigerians after settling ,live in the suburban areas with very low crime where you can leave your door or car unlocked and nothing happens.

There are places I couldn't stop at night to buy gasoline
I could never go to an ATM machine in the open in the down town area
Things like that
Avoid check cashing places in lower income areas of town
Be aware of your environment
Even if you go to the not so good areas for business or work,you leave when others are leaving
Don't be caught up in a shady place
Don't take up dangerous jobs like cab driving to those areas or work in convenience stores in those areas or near them
Any places they have projects ( govt apartment housing for lower income) and run down hoods,you have no business getting close
Most gun violence is during robbery or as a result of keeping bad association,random shooting are not as common
ultimately na God dey protect persin

The four Nigerians I Knew that were shot to death

1. One was married to a black American and when he wanted to leave the marriage she killed him

2. One was my babysitter's son who had joined a gang and was killed by a rival gang

3. One was a cab driver killed by a passenger who robbed him

4. One was also involved with gangs and thugs.he was my husband's childhood friend that came here after secondary school and got lost ,probably a coke deal gone bad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by obiflex: 6:30pm On Oct 19, 2013
@ Poster:
Hello Babyosisi, i'm a lawyer currently practicing in LAGOS. I'm planning to join my fiancée in the US sometime next year. My question is;
is it possible to get the certificate to practice law in New York?
What are the likely obstacles i may encounter?
Do you know of other Nigerians who studied law in Nigeria but now practice in the US?
I know people from my university who now practice law in the UK after studying law in Nigeria and doing additional exams and masters in the UK but, i don't know about the US and my fiancée is a doctor.
Please reply me. I know I'm coming late to the party as the thread is over 12 pages now but, please respond still. Thanks a million for your honest and selfless advice on this thread
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 6:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
obiflex: @ Poster:
Hello Babyosisi, i'm a lawyer currently practicing in LAGOS. I'm planning to join my fiancée in the US sometime next year. My question is;
is it possible to get the certificate to practice law in New York?
What are the likely obstacles i may encounter?
Do you know of other Nigerians who studied law in Nigeria but now practice in the US?
I know people from my university who now practice law in the UK after studying law in Nigeria and doing additional exams and masters in the UK but, i don't know about the US and my fiancée is a doctor.
Please reply me. I know I'm coming late to the party as the thread is over 12 pages now but, please respond still. Thanks a million for your honest and selfless advice on this thread

This is me grin

New York is the only state I know where a foreign trained lawyer can be allowed to take the bar exams ( there could be others)
Yes I know a lawyer in the Atlanta area,a graduate of UNN that practices federal law( mainly immigration) with a New York license
I don't know all the steps though
I will advice you contact the New York bar online and they could give you all that info
But you will be limited in scope

There is a law school in the Minneapolis area that admits foreign trained lawyers for an accelerated program and they qualify with an American law degree JD
I know two lawyers that went through it
I like that option because you will then have no limitations
It will be expensive I suppose
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by obiflex: 7:00pm On Oct 19, 2013
Thanks Sheniqua for this prompt response. I have googled this already and have an idea of the requirements. I'll also love to know if its possible for an immigrant married to a citizen to obtain a student loan for the one year law school. I am particular about New York since my fiancée lives and works there and her parents also live there. I'll just keep an open mind. God bless you and Babyosisi though i'll still love to hear her view on my question.

sheniqua:

This is me grin

New York is the only state I know where a foreign trained lawyer can be allowed to take the bar exams ( there could be others)
Yes I know a lawyer in the Atlanta area,a graduate of UNN that practices federal law( mainly immigration) with a New York license
I don't know all the steps though
I will advice you contact the New York bar online and they could give you all that info
But you will be limited in scope

There is a law school in the Minneapolis area that admits foreign trained lawyers for an accelerated program and they qualify with an American law degree JD
I know two lawyers that went through it
I like that option because you will then have no limitations
It will be expensive I suppose
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nozzle(m): 7:23pm On Oct 19, 2013
@ Sheniqua Thank you so much for takin your time to respond I really do appreciate. As for her case, personally I am not in support of the MBA and I have made my position very clear from the onset, I also made her to understand that a PharmD will be preferable, but to be sincere with you, going through another 4 yrs to get a pharmD having spent 6 yrs in sch back in Nigeria is difficult. She doesn't really wnt to go through that ordeal. Secondly, the owner of the pay cheque is saying he wants MBA and that's what he's payin for. So some how our hands are tied except I decide foot the bill myself believe me I don't have such funds. So you see the long duration the pharmD program and the dad insistence on the MBA prog are the major reasons she's going that route. So we are considering health related MBA programs. What do you think?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2013
codebrew85: @babyosisi, david, CFC et al...please, does having a good score in GRE qualifies one for a full or partial scholarship to study a postgraduate course in the States?
Yes. However, the scholarship committee would also factor in any volunteer work you've done, when making their decision.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by mario2575: 8:11pm On Oct 19, 2013
I have silently been following this thread and I must commend all contributors because lots of us have learn so much from it. I have a friend in the US about one month who arrived on an F1 visa to study an Mba with a promise from the school to work on campus but unfortunately when he arrived there where no more jobs for him so couldn't afford to enroll but differed till the next semester and sadly he had to spend out of his available funds to settle his accommodation and living expenses. What would you advice this person to do in order to make his stay permanent since that is everyones dream in the US. Serious and honest response needed. Thanks
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 8:20pm On Oct 19, 2013
Nozzle: @ Sheniqua Thank you so much for takin your time to respond I really do appreciate. As for her case, personally I am not in support of the MBA and I have made my position very clear from the onset, I also made her to understand that a PharmD will be preferable, but to be sincere with you, going through another 4 yrs to get a pharmD having spent 6 yrs in sch back in Nigeria is difficult. She doesn't really wnt to go through that ordeal. Secondly, the owner of the pay cheque is saying he wants MBA and that's what he's payin for. So some how our hands are tied except I decide foot the bill myself believe me I don't have such funds. So you see the long duration the pharmD program and the dad insistence on the MBA prog are the major reasons she's going that route. So we are considering health related MBA programs. What do you think?

I don't think the pharmd will take 4 years with someone who already has a Bpharm
She doesn't need a pharm D to practice as a pharmacist too just that it is now common to have one
I know many pharmacists from Nigeria that just took the exams to get licensed and didn't go back for a pharmd
If papa wants her to get an MBA,it may be tough
Maybe she can do that while pursuing her pharmacy licensing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 8:22pm On Oct 19, 2013
obiflex: Thanks Sheniqua for this prompt response. I have googled this already and have an idea of the requirements. I'll also love to know if its possible for an immigrant married to a citizen to obtain a student loan for the one year law school. I am particular about New York since my fiancée lives and works there and her parents also live there. I'll just keep an open mind. God bless you and Babyosisi though i'll still love to hear her view on my question.

Babyosisi speaking grin

When you marry a citizen you get a green card and qualify for school loans
So the answer is yes
If u are a Lagos,Aba or Onitsha type of person person you will love New York
I am an Enugu babe so New York dey me too chaotic
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nozzle(m): 8:59pm On Oct 19, 2013
sheniqua:

I don't think the pharmd will take 4 years with someone who already has a Bpharm
She doesn't need a pharm D to practice as a pharmacist too just that it is now common to have one
I know many pharmacists from Nigeria that just took the exams to get licensed and didn't go back for a pharmd
If papa wants her to get an MBA,it may be tough
Maybe she can do that while pursuing her pharmacy licensing
exactly my point, sincerely I didn't even know about the pharm licensing and am sure she doesn't too. I'll do my research so we know when and how to start while she prepares for her MBA. For me, I had always felt inclined towards Canada and it sure holds lots of career prospect for me. Though Canadian schls are expensive but I think the give faster ROI. I may try visiting next year so i can make a formed decision. By God's grace everything will fall in place. I want to believe babyosisi = sheniqua,madam u don try, i am very impressed by ur wealth of knowledge graced by experience. Thanks for being a blessing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (34) (Reply)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / Asaba And Benin City: Which Is More Beautiful? (pictures) / Longest And Most Confusing Pedestran Bridge In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.