Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,297 members, 7,811,889 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80258 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 24, 2013
Nemesis and OluOmo, please you guys should stop this bashing on each other.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Izyy: 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
sheniqua:

Go to the local school district and perhaps the surrounding ones too, armed with a good resume and tell them you want to apply to be a substitute.
Some may want your transcript evaluated
Check online,some of those school districts could have online applications
If they accept,they put you in the poll and call on you when needed
It is not a regular job,it is on a per diem basis when a teacher is sick or out etc
It's a good way to start building references here.
I know a few Nigerians that started that way.
Industrial chemistry is a good field
You can go the route you described or if you are into academics ,you go up to a PHD with that or biochem or molecular biology or biotech engineering and go into research either with biotech companies or academic institutions.
That is another big thing here.
Academicians may not make millions but they earn a decent living.
If you are into research,it takes a while to rise ,you have to work under mentors for a while but if you are gifted in that line ,with perseverance you will do well.
NIH and similar bodies give a lot of grants to people in cutting edge research

I wish you a smooth transition to your new life in the USA when you arrive
thanks sheniqua...i wouldnt mind more inputs from others
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by jokepearl(f): 8:43pm On Oct 24, 2013
codebrew85: @Nemesis, that's not true. You can actually change your status from tourist visa to student visa there in the US. You don't have to come back to your country to do that. Please see: www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=92f23e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

You can change your Status to F1, but to get a 'VISA', in order to travel in and out of USA with that status, you have to travel outside the US.

So your status changes, you are legal, but in order to get a VISA which enables you to come back into the US in-case you travel, you have to leave the US to get a VISA. You cannot be issued a VISA inside the US.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 24, 2013
jokepearl:

You can change your Status to F1, but to get a 'VISA', in order to travel in and out of USA with that status, you have to travel outside the US.

So your status changes, you are legal, but in order to get a VISA which enables you to come back into the US in-case you travel, you have to leave the US to get a VISA. You cannot be issued a VISA inside the US.
ok. Thank you for that info. I guess @Nemesis is right afterall. Sorry for the incomplete info.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babbs45: 2:21am On Oct 25, 2013
lorretta u: he's in Washington state. Is it a good place to be?

I rep the state of Washington. Yes, it's a good place to live but quite an expensive state. That is why we have one of the highest minimum wage in the nation and a lot of good paying jobs. There are not to many foreigners compare to other cities but nothing to worry about, most people are liberal minded here. It rains a lot, so if you don't like rain you'll hate it.

Seattle, is an emerging global biotech center and a hub of biotech activities with a ton of companies. For your background Seattle will be perfect.

Funny how I never hear people talk about WA on NL. Some of the corporations that call Seattle home, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Boeing, Paccar, Nordstrom, kenworth, Nintendo etc.

Bill Gates, Paul Allen Jeff Bezos all proud Washingtonian.

I won't trade Seattle for any city in the states.

PS: We have marriage equality and the use of marijuana is legal.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 2:53am On Oct 25, 2013
babbs45:

I rep the state of Washington. Yes, it's a good place to live but quite an expensive state. That is why we have one of the highest minimum wage in the nation and a lot of good paying jobs. There are not to many foreigners compare to other cities but nothing to worry about, most people are liberal minded here. It rains a lot, so if you don't like rain you'll hate it.

Seattle, is an emerging global biotech center and a hub of biotech activities with a ton of companies. For your background Seattle will be perfect.

Funny how I never hear people talk about WA on NL. Some of the corporations that call Seattle home, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Boeing, Paccar, Nordstrom, kenworth, Nintendo etc.

Okija juju is already packing his bags
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 7:40am On Oct 25, 2013
gud day house. few weeks from now i will be migrating to texas u.s.a under the dv program. i hope to start up a new career

pls what is the best career in u.s? and what field has more job opening or what career is hot in u.s? is it in engineering or medical?
and if it is medical or engineering field what part should i speciallize in?

gurus in the house pls i need your advice
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 25, 2013
babbs45:

wow. I'm already excited. Thanks for this bright review..

smiley smiley
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by glb2012: 10:01am On Oct 25, 2013
jokepearl:

.... Pls how long does it take to convert the B1 visa to an F1
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 1:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
gud day house. few weeks from now i
will be migrating to texas u.s.a under
the dv program. i hope to start up a
new career
pls what is the best career in u.s? and
what field has more job opening or what
career is hot in u.s? is it in engineering
or medical?
and if it is medical or engineering field
what part should i speciallize in?
gurus in the house pls i need your
advice
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by pickabeau1: 2:10pm On Oct 25, 2013
@baba ajala

This is an aside but are u presently working and will u be movng wit your family

Whats your tentative game plan

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 10:23pm On Oct 25, 2013
Yes baba ajala it will be good to know what you had done previously
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 2:01am On Oct 26, 2013
sheniqua: Yes baba ajala it will be good to know what you had done previously
am still single nd i am having just waec (high school equivalent). and i hope to start a career in u.s @ sheniqua
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 2:03am On Oct 26, 2013
pickabeau1: @baba ajala

This is an aside but are u presently working and will u be movng wit your family

Whats your tentative game plan
sheniqua: baba ajala it will be good to know what you had done previously
@ pickabeau1 am still single nd i am having just waec (high school equivalent). and i hope to start a career in u.s
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 2:51am On Oct 26, 2013
baba ajala: @ pickabeau1 am still single nd i am having just waec (high school equivalent). and i hope to start a career in u.s

Wow
So young
A career in healthcare will be a good choice
Take time to read through the thread and see all the advise given and some to new immigrants just coming in about the things to do first.
Make sure you bring your official WAEC result

Don't be distracted
Remain focused
Some people come here in their youth and get carried away by the life and waste away precious years
Some go to get rich quick schemes and end up in activities that will land them in jail
Use your time well
Have a plan and stick to it.
Watch the people giving you advise,it they are not successes themselves,don't listen to them
Find a mentor,someone you would want to emulate,someone who has done well and go to him for advise when you need it
There will be many distractions if you allow it
Make good use of the opportunity you have

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by pickabeau1: 3:30am On Oct 26, 2013
baba ajala: @ pickabeau1 am still single nd i am having just waec (high school equivalent). and i hope to start a career in u.s

This is a very good time for you...

Read some articles on careers

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/six_high-earning_careers.htm

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/high-pay_high-growth_jobs.htm

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-paying-jobs-high-school-103628796.html

Good luck...
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by TCPonly(m): 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
@sheniqua et all,
My family and i are planning to come to the US early next year.But i hear the cold around Dec. and Jan. is too much.
So,when is the best time u will advice we come?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by manny4life(m): 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
TCPonly: @sheniqua et all,
My family and i are planning to come to the US early next year.But i hear the cold around Dec. and Jan. is too much.
So,when is the best time u will advice we come?

Firstly, it depends on the state you're staying at, for instance the NE states like NY, NJ, RI are very cold compared to the South Eastern/Western States) like FL and TX. I'd advice you come late Spring (First week of April to late Summer (Sept ending).
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Mamacita007(f): 7:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
baba ajala: am still single nd i am having just waec (high school equivalent). and i hope to start a career in u.s @ sheniqua

U said that u're in 500level engineering. why quit that for cna?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by TCPonly(m): 7:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
manny4life:

Firstly, it depends on the state you're staying at, for instance the NE states like NY, NJ, RI are very cold compared to the South Eastern/Western States) like FL and TX. I'd advice you come late Spring (First week of April to late Summer (Sept ending).
Thanks man,i will be heading to NJ.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 8:29pm On Oct 26, 2013
TCPonly:
Thanks man,i will be heading to NJ.

Anytime you get a cheap ticket come
You can wear jackets for the cold weather.
If my aged father survives it so can you
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by tpia5: 9:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
babyosisi: This is an answer to the other person trying to scare folks and paint pictures of America being an impossible place full of of ghettos
Don't let Nigerians who have no plans deceive you
Ask any questions and yours truly will give you an honest answer just like it is
I have lived half my life outside of Nigeria and mostly in America and [b]a proud Nigerian too [/b]so I should know what I'm Saying
Oya fire on.

from the same mouth:

https://www.nairaland.com/1490637/intending-immigrantsthe-12-most-dangerous#19048353
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 10:48pm On Oct 26, 2013
tanx for ur reply @ sheniqua, mamacita, nd pickabeau. for the links and advice. i couldnt finish my engineering in 9ja cos of ASUU strike. i feel the best idea is to start off in u.s and later come back to complete the engineering if possible
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 2:49am On Oct 27, 2013
tpia@:

from the same mouth:

https://www.nairaland.com/1490637/intending-immigrantsthe-12-most-dangerous#19048353

So the witch has flown into this thread
I bind you blood sucking demon in the midst of men
You agent of darkness
I paralyse you in Jesus' name
Back to the bottomless pit your abode
Die
Die
Die
Azu tilapia fall down and die

4 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by sheniqua: 2:50am On Oct 27, 2013
baba ajala: tanx for ur reply @ sheniqua, mamacita, nd pickabeau. for the links and advice. i couldnt finish my engineering in 9ja cos of ASUU strike. i feel the best idea is to start off in u.s and later come back to complete the engineering if possible

I think I told you many pages earlier not to do it
You will regret it
You have one year to go,finish your degree then come over
But it's your choice eventually

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Yvete(f): 9:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
baba ajala: i couldnt finish my engineering in 9ja cos of ASUU strike. i feel the best idea is to start off in u.s and later come back to complete the engineering if possible
Mamacita007: U said that u're in 500level engineering. why quit that for cna?

You know you're not going back to complete your engineering degree in Nigeria anytime soon. cheesy My conscience won't let me ignore you so lemme break down viable options.

First off, you're coming with a green card unlike those of us that went through F-1, H1B and AOS. You are not required to maintain 12 semester credit hours. I advise that you transfer all credits and enroll in school at least part-time. You spent 4 years at a university, should it go to waste? Don't start over.

1. If you would like a career change to Nursing, you're better off transferring credits for RN or BSN. CNA is a good stepping stone to garner healthcare experience, pay tuition, bills, etc. Basically, work as a CNA while at school for RN/BSN. Forget LVN/LPN ... waste of time plus credits don't count for RN, I think!

2. If Engineering makes sense to you, transfer credits from any university in Nigeria to universities in TX. This option is wiser IMO unless Engineering is no longer your thing. Should take at most 24 months to round up an engineering degree over here. Try the link below, workforce, Walmart, etc.... Whatever you choose, come with no less than 6 official transcripts from your school. Hope you make the best decision.
https://www.nairaland.com/1142956/state-texas-important-information-inside

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by rauly: 6:16am On Oct 29, 2013
sheniqua:

I think I told you many pages earlier not to do it
You will regret it
You have one year to go,finish your degree then come over
But it's your choice eventually
Please i happen to be in the same shoe with this man,i have one year left to complete my engineering degree but my host is telling me to ignore the degree and start over in the US,the instance my host gave was that she also has a Nigerian degree but it wasn't recongnised,so she had to start over.I am adamant to complete my degree before finally migrating.My question now is can i shuffle Nigeria and US for a year without applying for a re-entry permit?? Because a semester in my school is 3.5 months.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by babaajala: 8:36am On Oct 29, 2013
Yvete:

You know you're not going back to complete your engineering degree in Nigeria anytime soon. cheesy My conscience won't let me ignore you so lemme break down viable options.

First off, you're coming with a green card unlike those of us that went through F-1, H1B and AOS. You are not required to maintain 12 semester credit hours. I advise that you enroll in school at least part-time. You spent 4 years at a university, should it go to waste?

1. If you would like a career change to Nursing, you're better off transferring credits for RN or BSN. CNA is a good stepping stone to garner healthcare experience, pay tuition, bills, etc. Basically, work as a CNA while at school for RN/BSN. Forget LVN/LPN ... waste of time plus credits don't count for RN, I think!

2. If Engineering makes sense to you, transfer credits from any university in Nigeria to universities in TX. This option is wiser IMO unless Engineering is no longer your thing. Should take at least 24 months to round up an engineering degree over here. Try the link below, workforce, Walmart, etc.... Whatever you choose, come with no less than 6 official transcripts from your school. Hope you make the best decision.
https://www.nairaland.com/1142933/state-texas-employment-opportunities-all
tanx @yvete i rily appreciate your advise. am going to take the second option since i cant waste 4yrs i schooled in nigeria, i am going to transfer my transcript. and since i read elect elect nd comp engr in nigeria i am going to take up computer engineering in u.s as a transfer student. tanx alot
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by pickabeau1: 10:10am On Oct 29, 2013
baba ajala: tanx @yvete i rily appreciate your advise. am going to take the second option since i cant waste 4yrs i schooled in nigeria, i am going to transfer my transcript. and since i read elect elect nd comp engr in nigeria i am going to take up computer engineering in u.s as a transfer student. tanx alot

dude.. why are u so much in a hurry to complicate your life
You will be going as a LPR

Finish your studies here, do your GRE then go for Masters...

Why will u want to start over aagain... no be people for here dey get full scholarship to IVy Lig school for there...

Ok ooo
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Ndipe(m): 12:24am On Oct 30, 2013
pickabeau1:

dude.. why are u so much in a hurry to complicate your life
You will be going as a LPR

Finish your studies here, do your GRE then go for Masters...

Why will u want to start over aagain... no be people for here dey get full scholarship to IVy Lig school for there...

Ok ooo

If you are still in college back home studying Engineering and have the opportunity to move to America, transfer your credits immediately to a college out here and continue from there. You stand a higher chance of getting an engineering job with an American degree than with a Nigerian degree.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by toshmann(m): 1:34am On Oct 30, 2013
Ndipe:

If you are still in college back home studying Engineering and have the opportunity to move to America, transfer your credits immediately to a college out here and continue from there. You stand a higher chance of getting an engineering job with an American degree than with a Nigerian degree.

FACT !!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by pickabeau1: 6:55am On Oct 30, 2013
Ndipe:

this lad is almost in final year.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.