Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,628 members, 7,809,340 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314389 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by 99cent: 4:17am On Oct 19, 2013
salsera: @99cent
Please dont let TV/film deceive you every race has women with thick hair, thin hair, hair that doesnt grow beyond their chin.
I see this every day.
What is common across board is that we all all have different curl patterns and just because some curl patterns are coily doesnt equal the fact that long length is not in our genes

I hate when people make the kind of ignorant comment you are making.
black women can grow hair beyond their chin. duh. But it will take years for the average black woman to grow that hair compared to mere months for the average non-black woman.
I know there are some exceptions but i'm talking about the predominant 4a and especially 4b texture of hair.
we don't have the easy "long-hair-down-to-my-butt" GENES. like other races.
I said it, GENES.

yes we can grow long hair but it's A LOT more challenging due to our genes. A LOT. even when it grows, it's a lot of work. with de-tangling etc.
ideally, our hair thrives better in a short/medium length but the society that we live in expect long hair from women hence why we go to all these lengths (pun unintended) for long hair. Myself included.

8 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 9:48pm On Oct 20, 2013
Please dont let TV/film deceive you every race has women with thick hair, thin hair, hair that doesnt grow beyond their chin.
I see this every day.
What is common across board is that we all all have different curl patterns and just because some curl patterns are coily doesnt equal the fact that long length is not in our genes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 3:35am On Oct 21, 2013
99cent: Nice thread. I love your hair.

I agree that black hair can grow long but I don't agree with the comparison to Asians, Brazilians and Caucasians. If these people followed your regimen, they will have hair almost down to their feet! Their hair just grows naturally fast even when they treat it poorly. it takes them less than 2 yrs to get their hair to ur length with very minimal care. just shampoo and condition. And their ponytail will look even thicker and shinier to boot.

Let's all just admit that most blacks or Africans have a hair texture that's difficult to maintain and grow long. It CAN grow long but the effort and time isn't worth it for most people. What tribe are you from? Even among west Africans, there is some diversity and variety in hair textures such that some people are able to grow their hair more effortlessly ex. fulani vs yoruba/igbo.

Overall, I think that with our hair texture, the best or most efficient state for us to wear our hair is medium/short. But due to the society that we live in that values western ways of beauty ie long, straight hair, we are all putting ourselves through a lot of pain and trouble to conform to these standards that will always elude us.

I agree that Caucasians and Asians may grow their hair to waistlength in a short time and this has to do with the nature of their individual hair strands and it's this difference that makes it easier to 'retain length'.

'Length retention' shouldn't be confused with 'hair growth'. Irrespective of race, we grow on average half inch to one inch of hair per month....half inch is for the slowest growth.

Why someone's hair will grow longer than others is 'length retention' by less breakage. This is where the difference comes in.
African hair is more 'tape like' in structure whether 'relaxed or natural' while the hair of other races is more 'rod like'......so which is easier to break? The rod or the tape?

This is why they are able to grow longer hair in a shorter space of time because they have less breakage.

With this understanding, to grow African hair long, you'll have to control hair care habits and methods that break the hair and incoporate strengthening products into your hair.
This is the way I've been able to grow my hair long.

Indians are known to have very long hair. Looking into the products they use, these strengthen the hair fibre from within.

African hair's particular challenge is moisture and strength, the absence of these makes African hair more prone to damage.

You can use the best products for haircare but if you have the wrong methods, you're just wasting money.
You can use the best methods but the wrong products can make your efforts seem useless.

Balance is the key. You don't really have to do a thousand and one things to grow your hair long.

.....A bit lengthy, I know ....but take time to read it and let me know what you think!

I'm Igbo by the way. Igbo mother and Igbo father.....and as far as I know, we have no mixed ancestry.

4 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:16am On Oct 21, 2013
caramel13: I dnt have money for hair trigger elixir that is mking ppl go gaga. I had to concoct my own. No time. Mixed my cayenne pepper with olive oil,castor oil, onion, moringa, coconut oil, basil, pepper mint oil. Leaving the additives to infuse into the oil. I'll let you guys knw how it turns out during my next wash. ;DI dnt have money for hair trigger elixir that is mking ppl go gaga. I had to concoct my own. No time. Mixed my cayenne pepper with olive oil,castor oil, onion, moringa, coconut oil, basil, pepper mint oil. Leaving the additives to infuse into the oil. I'll let you guys knw how it turns out during my next wash.

Wow...heard a lot about the hair trigger but for some reason wasn't really interested. I'm always skeptical about hair growth potions and lotions....since hair grows....if you have to retouch every 3 months, then the hair is growing!

Your mix sounds interesting....I'm curious, what does it smell like?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:41am On Oct 21, 2013
rofemiguwa: I also want to grow my hair,I love urs.I normally retouch every 3months.don't know if that is too soon. Then I shampoo with dudu osun black soap.since I can't get sulphate free shampoo(I don search tire).I deepcondition with jus ORS replenishing conditoner den I rub coconut oil and sheabutter before I fix weaves or braid.I hardly leave my natural hair for more than 2days.its short nape of neck level so packing it is a problem.this is my hair regimen.please can u help me with adjusting it so I can grow and retain lengths.also please wats ACV.thank you dear

Thanks dear...apologies for the delay...very tight month for me.

ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. It's used to remove all the products in hair and scalp thereby restoring them to their default setting...haha....without dryness.
It's also used to control dandruff, detangle the hair and improve shine.

About your hair regimen, I don't see anything wrong with the current products you're using and since you retouch your hair every 3 months, it means your hair is definitely growing....

How long have you been growing your hair?
Do you relax your tips in addition to the undergrowth during retouching?

Problem areas I noticed in your regimen are:

During retouching, do you have sufficient growth to avoid overlapping of relaxers?

You said you only leave out your hair only two days in between weaves, I think your hair needs more than two days break to recuperate from the dryness it experiences under the weave.
How about investing in a nice wig to give your hair at least one week break. When you take off the week every day when you return from work, spritz the ends of the hair with a little water so it'll be damp not wet, then apply a 1:1 mix of coconut oil and shea butter concentrating on ends. Be sure not to use a lot so you'll not have buildup over the course of a week.
This method is to reduce possible breakage so you'll retain length better.

Also, do you have a silk cap or pillow to protect your hair? You can get this cheap in the market where they sell scarves. Look for 100% silk or silk/polyester blend.
Alternatively, you can purchase a satin bonnet.

Another thing, how to you comb your hair when you're taking off the weave?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:45am On Oct 21, 2013
romania: @nappilynigerian and @kaffy, how often do you wash your hair?

I shampoo my hair once a month and if my hair is out (not in weaves or braids), I'll cowash once a week or once every two weeks depending on how dirty my hair is and if I used any styling products within that period.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:47am On Oct 21, 2013
babylolaroy: whao! av neva ever heard or seen such a long nigerian hair! its cool yar nd yu r lucky. i ll try ur stuffs within 6months God willing. My hair is d good type too nd its natural. it adapts and i know ds will work for me

Thank you! I hope it works for you too. Lemme know how it goes and if you have any questions!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:58am On Oct 21, 2013
I see this every day.

@nappilynigerian
nice thread by the way, i'm gonna try the castor oil and acv again
By the way have you lived in different climates and if so how has your regime changed because of this?

Thank you! Unfortunately, when I travel, I have weaves or braids installed but now, I've decided to observe how my hair behaves in different climates.
I just came back from a conference in Ghana and I had my fro out all through. My hair got dry on the first day ( maybe cos of d A/C) but it behaved well after that.
...because of d busy schedule, I made a moisturiser to cut back on the time I'll spend moisturising my hair.

3 tbs of Cantu Shea Leave In Conditioning repair cream + 2 tsp each of coconut and palm kernel oil + 100ml of bottled water.

I applied this to the ends of my hair before bed.

Thankfully, the weather is as humid though the sun is hotter which dried out my hair more so I couldn't skip nightly moisturising like I could here.....#lazygal
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 5:04am On Oct 21, 2013
Anniebissy:
hw do u expect me to believe dis is ur natural hair,dis look more of a dread to me,so pls when it use for weaving,or adimale

Haha...the dreaded look is as a result of a twistout. This is what I do to give my hair a bit more stretch and to make sure it doesn't get too big.
Though I love the look of dreads and how long it grows, I get bored easily and free hair gives me more flexibility with styling.

P.S. what's adimale?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 5:25am On Oct 21, 2013
babylolaroy: sorry to bother the populee buh pls wat is dat Acv and wat is a castor oil. i think castor is a fruit?. wia can i get em all

Nah, it isn't a bother, that's what this thread is for!
ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. It's made from fermented apple juice and is acidic. It is diluted to 1 tablespoon of ACV to one cup of water and used to rinse hair to get rid of product buildup, dandruff and give shine.
In Lag, you may find it in Games.

Castor oil is gotten from castor seed. It is gel like in consistency and light yellow if cold pressed and dark brown if roasted. The cold pressed can be found in pharmacies. It is used to prevent breakage and encourage healthy hair growth. It's also used in the treatment of acne and dry skin among other things.

If you have any difficulties getting these, send a mail to nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com to place an order.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by mitchyy(f): 8:27am On Oct 21, 2013
@Caramel and others,

There's this site I found which sells most of these oils(castor oil, palm kernel oil, coconut oil and all). I tried them out by ordering for almond oil and they delivered. It was 100% natural. I think you should try them www.naturalnigerian.com

My only problem is where to get the Cantu Leave in conditioner in Nigeria. The site the op recommended is not based in Nigeria
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by queenesthr(f): 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2013
mitchyy: @Caramel and others,

There's this site I found which sells most of these oils(castor oil, palm kernel oil, coconut oil and all). I tried them out by ordering for almond oil and they delivered. It was 100% natural. I think you should try them www.naturalnigerian.com

My only problem is where to get the Cantu Leave in conditioner in Nigeria. The site the op recommended is not based in Nigeria

Cantu products are available in Nigeria at www.sizzelle.com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by demelza: 2:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
queenesthr:

Cantu products are available in Nigeria at www.sizzelle.com
Do they deliver to all states?
@Nappily, why arent you updating your blog? undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by queenesthr(f): 4:29pm On Oct 21, 2013
demelza: Do they deliver to all states?

Yes, they do

Also to a few West African countries.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by chidarl85: 6:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
NappilyNigerian...I'm jealous of ur hair. Can I have it in exchange for any meal u find on http://chichiscuisine..com/ pweeeeez!?!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:47pm On Oct 21, 2013
chidarl85: NappilyNigerian...I'm jealous of ur hair. Can I have it in exchange for any meal u find on http://chichiscuisine..com/ pweeeeez!?!

LOL! How about a week of Abacha made by you... fair exchange?! Oh ...and nainamo bars.....and chocolate tart.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
demelza: Do they deliver to all states?

Sorry dear....have had a really busy week! Will update soon!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Anniebissy(f): 7:18pm On Oct 21, 2013
This is mine,just for two yrs

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Anniebissy(f): 7:28pm On Oct 21, 2013
This is mine for two years

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 8:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
@ NappilyNigerian, the concoction smells of onion but my cream of nature sulphate free shampoo gets rid of it. My undergrowth is so soft and obedient,even though I haven't combed my hair since thursday. I got my Cantu from casabella in shoprite, Adeniran ogusanya

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 9:07pm On Oct 21, 2013
Anniebissy: This is mine,just for two yrs

Wow! It's beautiful! You retained almost all your length for two years!
What's your regimen like?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by mspee(f): 10:43pm On Oct 21, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Yes, I'd like to know too.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by 99cent: 10:53pm On Oct 21, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

I agree that Caucasians and Asians may grow their hair to waistlength in a short time and this has to do with the nature of their individual hair strands and it's this difference that makes it easier to 'retain length'.

'Length retention' shouldn't be confused with 'hair growth'. Irrespective of race, we grow on average half inch to one inch of hair per month....half inch is for the slowest growth.

yup although i'm prettysure my hair grows less than that per month lol
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Janeify(f): 8:40am On Oct 22, 2013
i luv this!got it
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Drpazienza: 12:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
rate me over 10
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Anniebissy(f): 8:52pm On Oct 22, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Wow! It's beautiful! You retained almost all your length for two years!
i dnt really have any
i just make use of organic relaxer,
i use organic hair booster as hair cream nd coconut oil
i style my hair wit dark n lovely leave in corrective.
I dnt do my hair.i just comb nd style my hair

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by GennyOma: 10:28am On Oct 23, 2013
@op, am jealous #crying n beating my midget hair#...... pls hw long hve u been doin dis?

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 23, 2013
I retouched my hair two days back and some parts got burnt

Pls any help
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
GennyOma: @op, am jealous #crying n beating my midget hair#...... pls hw long hve u been doin dis?

Don't worry...baby steps and it'll grow. I've been growing my hair since birth with intermittent chops but I haven't had a major cut in about five years now.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
mechummy: I retouched my hair two days back and some parts got burnt

Pls any help

Ouch! Sorry o! Do you have castor oil? If not, a light coat of olive oil on the injured parts would get the healing going. Try to minimize manipulation in the meantime.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
Anniebissy:
i dnt really have any
i just make use of organic relaxer,
i use organic hair booster as hair cream nd coconut oil
i style my hair wit dark n lovely leave in corrective.
I dnt do my hair.i just comb nd style my hair

Wow. Low manipulation babe! Your hair is beautiful!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
This weekend is my henna weekend. I usually apply henna to my hair once every two months to strengthen it and give it a reddish tint. I get my henna leaves from Wuse Market, Abuja.

If you have fine stranded hair like me, this is a natural method to strengthen your hair as henna binds irreversibly to keratin.
To know if your hair needs a strengthening treatment, take a shed strand of hair and pull gently between your fingers. If it breaks easily, then a henna or protein treatment is necessary to reinforce it.

Alternative strengthening treatments include

Egg mask
Aphogee 2 step protein treatment
Yoghurt mask
Coconut milk mask.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.