Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,914 members, 7,828,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (295) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (455187 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 9:59pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
Yeah, you are. cheesy I thought you quoted the school ni. Lol. ridimic1 is just one naughty boy! cheesy

hahahahahaha... grin grin grin grin grin grin

I quoted the school before because Amefrica post i decided to edit it and he also edited it so that the name of the school wont show again
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2:

In Sarkodie's voice: You no know say money no be problem?

Some people get mind though — That annual sum will see me through 2years of college expenses

Lol... funny guy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
Why should I take it easy? angry Person leave me run go marry another girl and you're talking "Take it easy!". Mind yourself oh!! undecided undecided

Ah! Imperiouxx has a lot of explaining to do oh!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2:

Maybe true but these guys are native speakers, so sometimes, their questions could throw someone off-balance cheesy

Can she respond to the question first, so that you guys can guide her.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring:

Lol... funny guy

I'm dead serious — that amount is enough to see to my study costs for 2 whole years. Shiet mehn!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:06pm On Jul 15, 2014
Joenice: Maybe true but these guys are native speakers, so sometimes, their questions could throw someone off-balance cheesy

Can she respond to the question first, so that you guys can guide her.

Well, she should be aware that the study costs of her school is on the high side...very high side.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
Due to popular demand, I'll post a comprehensive guide to GRE and TOEFL for people who want to get at least 160 on both sections and 105 and above in Toefl.

Gre
What is Gre. It's basically a test that measures your quantitative and verbal skills as well as writing skills.
Now depending on your field, some people may find the quantitative easy and others may find that verbal difficult.
Usually the verbal is tougher for international students.

QUANTITATIVE
Now the Gre quantitative is graded from a scale of 0-170.
And it test basic principles ranging from numbers to coordinate geometry.
For engineers a score of 160 and above is considered average. For other fields a score of 160 is considered ok
The most tested concepts in quantitative in decreasing order are as follows
1. Numbers
2. Word problems/arithmetic
3. Statistics especially mean median mode standard deviation normal distribution and inter quartile range
4 coordinate geometry
5 data interpretation
6. Algebra

HOW TO SCORE HIGH WITH LITTLE READING
I scored a 168 in quantitative although I studied I felt it really wasn't my studying that determined my score. I'm good with numbers and it helped.

Now the tip to getting a high score if your maths is average is this
DONT ATTEMPT QUESTIONS YOU ARE NOT SURE OF GETTING AT FIRST TRY
Yes. Leave those questions you are not sure for later and solve the ones you know. If you solve 13 correct questions you can beat your chest then you won't waste time solving a question you will probably miss and then killing valuable time you could have used to solve the ones you know.
If you think a question is hard, mark it and move on and come back later after you've solved the sure ones.

Secondly. Get nova Gre math bible and Manhattan.
Although manhattan questions are not as dense and wordy like the real exam questions, they provide sufficient variety that can make your brain react fast tl the test question

Always remember that Gre maths is simple
They are just messing with your head. Everything has a shortcut most questions can be solved in 45secs - 1 min except a few.

Finally, make sure you cram some formulas like the algebraic formulas for expansion.
(a+b) (a-b) = a2-b2.
There are 3 of them.

Verbal will come up later . I'm tired.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by laura2014: 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2:

Some people get mind though — That annual sum will see me through 2years of college expenses

I will beat you oooo , Lol . Anyways the tuition fee is 28,000 but The school requested that I sent them my dad"s account then which i did and the amount on the account as at then was 45,000 . not the tuition . Sarkodie koor ,EMA nAIRA NIII. grin

NAUGHTY
"

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:18pm On Jul 15, 2014
laura2014:

I will beat you oooo , Lol . Anyways the tuition fee is 28,000 but The school requested that I sent them my dad"s account then which i did and the amount on the account as at then was 45,000 . not the tuition . Sarkodie koor ,EMA nAIRA NIII. grin

NAUGHTY
"

Lol. Well, that clears it up — glad you didn't make such a costly mistake.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by laura2014: 10:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
Graviton2:

Lol. Well, that clears it up — glad you didn't make such a costly mistake.

Infact , the 28k on I20 amount to (15k tuition , 11k living expenses and the rest) so its cheap . abii. no be only me waka come ooo.

Thanks and Goodnight.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:42pm On Jul 15, 2014
laura2014:

Infact , the 28k on I20 amount to (15k tuition , 11k living expenses and the rest) so its cheap . abii. no be only me waka come ooo.

Thanks and Goodnight.

Is your school locaated in California cos of that living expenses?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 10:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
laura2014:

Thanks and Goodnight.

I see, but I still won't call that cheap. My tuition is $13,000, living expenses (books/miscellaneous included) $8,000.

Anyway, all the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:44pm On Jul 15, 2014
Stewee:

You seem ok!
Isn't your passport suppose to be 5cm X 5cm?

2cm X 2cm and 5cm X 5cm are still the same
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 10:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring:

hahahahahaha... grin grin grin grin grin grin

I quoted the school before because Amefrica post i decided to edit it and he also edited it so that the name of the school wont show again
Yes, I wanted to know which of the AR schools you quoted grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
Yes, I wanted to know which of the AR schools you quoted grin

The one in ....

Edited
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 10:55pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring:

The one in ....
PIPO!!! cheesy Oya edit am before ridimic1 come and bomb me and my department! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 10:59pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
PIPO!!! cheesy Oya edit am before ridimic1 come and bomb me and my department! grin

Lol.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin............... Not PIPO ooooooo

I think say una get antibomb for that side nah
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:00pm On Jul 15, 2014
@stevecrun

Do you get my SMS?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 11:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:

Lmao!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 11:17pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring:

Lol.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin............... Not PIPO ooooooo

I think say una get antibomb for that side nah
We no get anti-bomb at all. I no trust my naija guys o grin
Graviton2:
Lmao!
Dey there, dey laugh. When Naija guys do you strong thing, you go be like this shocked angry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 11:24pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
Dey there, dey laugh. When Naija guys do you strong thing, you go be like this shocked angry cry

You're very correct. That's why most times I don't blame people who decide to retain certain bits of information — e get as you go take talk, dem go come arrange you grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jul 15, 2014
Walspring: @stevecrun

Do you get my SMS?
yea..i did bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:28pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
We no get anti-bomb at all. I no trust my naija guys o grin

Hmmmm... but not all naija guys be like that ooo... grin grin grin

Make God help us....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:30pm On Jul 15, 2014
stevecrun: yea..i did bro!

okay big boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by repsin(m): 11:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
andonajnr: Nice thread. Please, is there anyone in this
thread that is a student or an alumni of the
university of illinois. I want to knw what it
takes to study there, student life and all. And
again how long is four semesters over there.
Which of the campuses?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by tolutweety(m): 11:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
DanjaNinja:

GRE AND TOEFL REGISTRATION FOR THOSE WHO DONT HAVE VISA CARDS BUT HAVE GTBANK MASTERCARD[/size][size=8pt][/font]

Simple. Here's how i did mine.

1. Required Items
a. Visa Atm Card or Paypal Account
b. For GRE =$200.00 or its Naira Equivalent @$1=165
c. For TOEFL =$180.00 OR its Naira Equivalent @$1=165

2. Create an Account

a. For TOEFL, Create an Account @ http://www.ets.org/toefl?WT.ac=toeflhome_why_121127
b. For GRE, Create an Account @ http://www.ets.org/gre

3. After Creating accounts, register for Test and select your prefered date and test location. OR Skip this section[size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
to (5) if u already have a paypal account.

4. Pay for Test
a. Payment with Visa Cards is easy and straight forward. Just ensure you have the said amounts listed above and your good to go.

However there's an alternative means of payment: PAYPAL. I recommend this method for those who dont have VISA cards but have functioning Mastercards - in my case: Gtbank Mastercard. This method was previously unavailable to Nigerians but with the commencement of Paypal operations in Nigeria, its works full time. Its also highly secure since payments are made with your email address and not your atm card number.

Since i didn't have a VISA card and i didn't want the stress and hassle of setting up a new account, I made all payments for GRE and TOEFL via Paypal.

Here's how i did it:

4. Create a Paypal account @ https://www.paypal.com/ng/webapps/mpp/home . Its free and easy.
After setting up your paypal account, connect your GTbank Mastercard to your paypal account. Its the same as verifying your paypal account.

IMPORTANT: Ensure you have at least $200 or the nairala Equivalent (for GRE) OR $180 or the Naira Equivalent for TOEFL, in your Gtbank Account. NOTE: You dont need a dormicilliary account, a Gtbank savings or current account works just fine. Transferring funds from your gtbank account to paypal is not neccessary either.

5. Log into your GRE or TOEFL account, register for the test, select your preferred test location and date, Proceed to checkout with "Paypal" and type in your paypal account details. Paypal makes an automated call/query to your gtbank to ascertain if you have sufficient funds. If funds are sufficient, paypal submits your payment to ETS. Thats all.

Here's a snapshot of my TOEFL payment on Paypal. If you have any questions, send a pm or mention me. I'd be glad to help.

Double thanks for this.
ebdib: Due to popular demand, I'll post a comprehensive guide to GRE and TOEFL for people who want to get at least 160 on both sections and 105 and above in Toefl.
Gre
What is Gre. It's basically a test that measures your quantitative and verbal skills as well as writing skills.
Now depending on your field, some people may find the quantitative easy and others may find that verbal difficult.
Usually the verbal is tougher for international students.
QUANTITATIVE
Now the Gre quantitative is graded from a scale of 0-170.
And it test basic principles ranging from numbers to coordinate geometry.
For engineers a score of 160 and above is considered average. For other fields a score of 160 is considered ok
The most tested concepts in quantitative in decreasing order are as follows
1. Numbers
2. Word problems/arithmetic
3. Statistics especially mean median mode standard deviation normal distribution and inter quartile range
4 coordinate geometry
5 data interpretation
6. Algebra
HOW TO SCORE HIGH WITH LITTLE READING
I scored a 168 in quantitative although I studied I felt it really wasn't my studying that determined my score. I'm good with numbers and it helped.
Now the tip to getting a high score if your maths is average is this
DONT ATTEMPT QUESTIONS YOU ARE NOT SURE OF GETTING AT FIRST TRY
Yes. Leave those questions you are not sure for later and solve the ones you know. If you solve 13 correct questions you can beat your chest then you won't waste time solving a question you will probably miss and then killing valuable time you could have used to solve the ones you know.
If you think a question is hard, mark it and move on and come back later after you've solved the sure ones.
Secondly. Get nova Gre math bible and Manhattan.
Although manhattan questions are not as dense and wordy like the real exam questions, they provide sufficient variety that can make your brain react fast tl the test question
Always remember that Gre maths is simple
They are just messing with your head. Everything has a shortcut most questions can be solved in 45secs - 1 min except a few.
Finally, make sure you cram some formulas like the algebraic formulas for expansion.
(a+b) (a-b) = a2-b2.
There are 3 of them.
Verbal will come up later . I'm tired.

THANKS A LOT !!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
MsNas:
Can see you're balling all over. cheesy Enjoyment Galore

Chai! shocked angry See as you dey carry me join body! cry

Diariss Goduu oh!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by zeezahbee(f): 12:52am On Jul 16, 2014
Walspring:

2cm X 2cm and 5cm X 5cm are still the same
wrong, how can 2cm be same as 5cm cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kpolli(m): 2:12am On Jul 16, 2014
MsNas:

Alhaja Nasirat, what have they done to you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 3:59am On Jul 16, 2014
kpolli:

Alhaja Nasirat, what have they done to you?
Pastor Kpolli (Nice name btw grin), Naija guys na the true definition of Nigga. Lmao. cheesy If Naija guy tells you good evening, go outside and look.... its not evening. it's morning.

No be so Imperiouxx do do, go carry another fine Nigerian belle put for house? After all our talk? Dia Ris Godu oo cry

Lest I forget....No be so 'Wale, your twin go do, do born baby? After all our paroles for Lagos? And you're there in New Orleans asking me wetin Naija guy do me?. Mind yourself oo angry

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Mjseun(m): 5:19am On Jul 16, 2014
zeezahbee: wrong, how can 2cm be same as 5cm cool

2 inches X 2 inches passport photo
= 5 cm X 5 cm passport photo I suppose
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by andonajnr(m): 5:34am On Jul 16, 2014
repsin:
Which of the campuses?
Urbana campus. Am luking at Electrical Engineering.

(1) (2) (3) ... (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Italian Student Visa-help! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.