Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,776 members, 7,862,558 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:32 PM

Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State - Politics (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State (38197 Views)

Jarus-sponsored Buhari Jingle For Kwara State / A Thread For Kwara State Citizens And Inhabitants / Tony Tetuila Declares For Kwara State House Of Assembly Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Osoldier: 9:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
lertee:
Incase you do not know how to or be civil in a debate.
Go through the question again and answer properly if you got the brain to. I asked: will the igbiras,igalas and ogoris agree to go to the SW?
Simple as it is.

Is not debate, is a fact. Igbira are not northerner.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by hitman2911: 9:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
Oladiran: Pple always twist history as it pleases dem! It s not true dat 'yorubas' were never cooperating b4, yes dere were serious infightng but remeber,Ogedemgbe of Ijeshaland was trained by the Ibadans(Oyos) and they surely knew he was Ijesha as his tougue will always give him away, yet they trained him. When Ogedemgbe was to be sent away by the British, he was sent to an Oyo town and they did not mob him there, he lived there and returnd to Ilesha safely! Again, despite the rivalry between Ibadan and the Egbas, we all know that the Iyalode of Ibadan, Efunshetan Aniwura was an Egbawoman!
When dere is external treat, different group under the Oduduwa brotherhood usually come together to fight!

@ Oladiran.
You need to really understand the history and political intrigues of the Yoruba sub groups to be able to understand what Ommo was talking about.
Some of the groups were allies and see themselves as cousins while others waged wars against each other and sell themselves off as slave. Egbas are made up of different groups and see Owus, Ijaiye as cousins, same as Ekitis and Ijeshas. Pre colonial yorubaland had lot of slave raiding activities and this often encourages wars and distrust among them.

The examples you gave were that of Ibadan. Ibadan was a war camp made up of warriors from mainly Oyo , Ife, Egba and some other groups. Ibadan is a commonwealth of many yoruba war mercenaries and traders. They don't really care about where they get slaves and they subdued many other groups just as old Oyo Empire. Most Egbas left for Abeokuta with some like Efunseitan staying back. Ogedengbe was captured and was more or less a servant to the Ibadan warriors who eventually trained him and gave him tribal mark. He initially refused to fight against Ibadan during Kiriji war because of his earlier allegiance to them.

If other major yoruba groups like Egbas, Ijesha, Ijebu , Ekiti etc had joined Ibadan to chase the fulanis beyond Ilorin, it would have been reclaimed but Ibadan was busy fighting on four fronts with others.
The pre colonial Yorubas see themselves as Egbas , Ijebus, Oyos etc rather than one group. Others saw Oyo and later Ibadan as over lord and common enemies.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Osoldier: 9:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
Desola:

Ouch!

stayout of this matter, are you from Igala?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Desola(f): 9:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
O soldier:

stayout of this matter, are you from Igala?

Sorry sir/ma.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by lertee(f): 9:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
O soldier:

Is not debate, is a fact. Igbira are not northerner.
**sneezes**
I thought you were literate enough to answer well grin, I mistook you for someone else.
I give up on you. tongue

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Osoldier: 9:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
lertee:
**sneezes**
I thought you were literate enough to answer well grin, I mistook you for someone else.
I give up on you. tongue

You have no option than to give up cos you have seen the fact, study your map very well u can see how the river Niger seperate Igbira land from your musilem brothers, you are free to join them 'idiot'
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 9:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
there are 36 states in nigeria o, you folks (original posters) have done kwara and ondo, is there enough megawidth for the remaining 34.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 9:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
Governor Ahmed is from my senatorial district. He is 100 percent yoruba and"Aregbesola is not more yoruba than him"
Campaign don start ?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 10:04pm On Oct 22, 2013
bola4dprec: Governor Ahmed is from my senatorial district. He is 100 percent yoruba and"Aregbesola is not more yoruba than him"
Campaign don start ?
He don start oo
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by ilrn: 10:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
Ilorin is a city of settlers established to spread islam to the yorubas.Thus Ilorin speaks yoruba so as to communicate with people they intended in making muslims which they succeeded in achieving.Like Usman dan Fodio the fulanis were the champions of this cause.Salihu Jantar aka Shehu Alimi came to Ilorin in 1817 with him were so many fulanis ,some hausas ,nupes and kanuris for the purpose of establishing a muslim community.The structural divides exist up to present day in Ilorin.As an islamic state of 100% muslim with more than 70% of people of northern origin it makes alot of sense for them to rule by Emir(muslim leader).Second in command to the Emir is Magaji Aare the representative of the indigenous yorubas.Followed by four traditional leaders that report to the emir representing the major ethnic groups.Balogun(warrior)Ajikobi for yorubas,Balogun fulani for fulanis,Balogun gambari for hausas/kanuris.Balogun Alanamu also for yoruba came about as a neccesity of war to bribe a warrior in ogbomosho to join the Ilorin fold.There is no need crying foul about Ilorin.Ilorin are people that agree to speak yoruba as a language no matter there origin.Ilorin are people that agree to be northerners no matter there origin.Ilorin is so diverse but yet one living together as brothers in peace and harmony.Nonetheless if Nigerians had behaved like Ilorin people it wound have been better for all of us.It wound have been one united nation

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 10:06pm On Oct 22, 2013
bola4dprec: Governor Ahmed is from my senatorial district. He is 100 percent yoruba and"Aregbesola is not more yoruba than him"
Campaign don start ?

did someone say aregbesola is more yoruba than him?

didnt read through the thread.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Sloan: 10:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
This thread continues to be vibrant! I like that. Well, for those who are getting feisty, no need to tear down the house because of your charge of emotions as this is mostly an intellectual and awareness debate. What will be very good is to start talking to your people, the Kwarans (Yoruba, Hausa, and other tribes) and to prepare for an eventual referendum. I am a Yoruba, completely, and I am more than confident that even the Yoruba states as it is right now will best ALL the other 5 regions when (or if) we eventually get regional governance. It will be difficult for my brothers who have been misled to now want to be accorded any special privilege because we will take census and residency rights very seriously. If your chosen regions lags behind and is unable to create enough jobs for you and your children, don't think your Yoruba name will be enough for us to let you in through the back door because we will be financing our region with our intellect, energies and taxes! You will have to be fair and stay wherever you choose from day ONE except you are able to achieve another referendum in which you choose the West and THEN, WE ALSO MUST BE WILLING TO ACCEPT YOU! The people who migrated to the US in the 1800s did it without visa, just get on a boat, walk there, get there by any means and you could make your life there! Today, you could apply for a visa to visit and you cannot work there legally! Even if you do get a green card, you will have to wait in a line and for years before you become a citizen. Just some thoughts!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 10:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
tpia@:

did someone say aregbesola is more yoruba than him?

didnt read through the thread.
go through the main post
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 10:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
Why the op used Kwara as a case study ? whether you like it on not Emir as come to rule Ilorin and so shall it be Onilorin of Ilorin ko oniyonu of iyonu ni
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by tpia5: 10:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
bola4dprec:
go through the main post

the person has deactivated his account after posting his epistle, but this statement in his op shows what he's up to:

To some extent I can argue that there are more ibos reciding in ilorin than the fulanis but that is a topic for another day

i guess he just dropped aregbesola as a buzz word to keep the thread going.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by JaaizTech: 10:21pm On Oct 22, 2013
I really do not get what the OP is trying to drive at. Nigeria is indeed a diverse place, just like the rest of the world. States were not created in order to sectionalize tribes, but Nigeria was divided into states for administrative purposes. It really doesn't matter that KWARA is grouped into the Northern part, that is just a question of geographical location and has nothing to do with the people living states. Kwara being located in geographical North doesn't imply the people of Kwara can not be Yorubas!

We need to stop hating ourselves, because all I can see here is a by-product of the dislike south has for North and vice-versa, but let me tell you that even amongst the Yorubas there is in-fighting, Ife-Modakeke clash is still fresh in memory. Issues exist between the different Yoruba tribes, lump them together as one region and this issues will become pronounced.

We should not allow ourselves to be used to sow the seed of discord but the seed of unity; what I would encourage the youths of this Nation to clamour for is rotational Presidency & Governorship. We need a system that gives everyone a sense of belonging. There is ethnic strife within every region: Ijaw Vs Itsekiri; Igbira Vs Igala; Hausa vs Gbagi etc; and the reason for this strife is that the minority groups feel they are being marginalised. A system that ensures every ethnic group has a fair chance of participating at the highest level of Governance is what Nigeria needs now.

I would also advise that people travel around this country, only that way would they appreciate the importance of the unity of this country. We have very little to gain dividing, but a lot to lose.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 10:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
There are well laid down criteria for creating a state including identifiable geographical area, cultural affinity, geographical contiguity, viability adequate population, linguistic similarity etc. Many of the areas being demanded to be carved as a state do not qualify to be a state with the above criteria in mind. Their demand is shrouded in creating a kingdom for their leaders.

The only geo-political zone that needs an additional state as a matter of necessity and priority is the South East zone of the country which has the least number of states among the six geo-political zones and which is being cheated in everything including revenue allocation, representation in National Assembly, ministerial appointment and other federal appointments.

However if equity and fairness are to be maintained each geo-political zone should have a maximum of seven states to bring the total number of states in the country to 42 to end state creation exercise in the country. This will necessitate the expunging of state creation from the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to end the malady. No one has heard how many new states are being created in USA, India, China, Britain or any other African country. Why should state creation be an endless exercise in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 10:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
As yoruba patriots,we must not shy away from our responsibilities.Ilorin must be won back because of the antecedents during imperial oyo empire.The fall of the city to fulani is not as a result of yoruba cowardice but political intrigues in oyo, afonja rebellion and internecine crisis.The name ilorin is yoruba derived,ilu ti won tin LO IRIN(blacksmith city).Oyo arms were manufactured there and horses were supplied for the cavalry due to the tse tse fly free savannah climate.Ilorin is not the only relegated yorubaland viz akoko edos,kogi west likewise sabe and popo in republic of benin,even katunga in present niger state is a yorubaland.As the most civilised black race,we have to return to our belligerent style and win our cause because that is that is the only coherent solution to the mortal blow.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by classicEntity(m): 10:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
Na wa oo, wel, The bottom line of all this arguement remains that Kwara state and Kwarans are NoRtHerNs. The Yorubas should stop this land grabbing and expansionism there are trying to do even to extent of trying to annex Itsekiri ethnic group, Please you guys should manage your geo-political zones first by removing those Agberos from ur streets nd looking what will sustain/boost your economy, mtsheew, mo fe sun jare, oda'ro..!
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Katsumoto: 10:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
classicEntity: Na wa oo, wel, The bottom line of all this arguement remains that Kwara state and Kwarans are NoRtHerNs. The Yorubas should stop this land grabbing and expansionism there are trying to do even to extent of trying to annex Itsekiri ethnic group, Please you guys should manage your geo-political zones first by removing those Agberos from ur streets nd looking what will sustain/boost your economy, mtsheew, mo fe sun jare, oda'ro..!

Perhaps you may have come up with something more sensible if you had slept and woken up before commenting.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 10:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
JaaizTech: I really do not get what the OP is trying to drive at. Nigeria is indeed a diverse place, just like the rest of the world. States were not created in order to sectionalize tribes, but Nigeria was divided into states for administrative purposes. It really doesn't matter that KWARA is grouped into the Northern part, that is just a question of geographical location and has nothing to do with the people living states. Kwara being located in geographical North doesn't imply the people of Kwara can not be Yorubas!

We need to stop hating ourselves, because all I can see here is a by-product of the dislike south has for North and vice-versa, but let me tell you that even amongst the Yorubas there is in-fighting, Ife-Modakeke clash is still fresh in memory. Issues exist between the different Yoruba tribes, lump them together as one region and this issues will become pronounced.

We should not allow ourselves to be used to sow the seed of discord but the seed of unity; what I would encourage the youths of this Nation to clamour for is rotational Presidency & Governorship. We need a system that gives everyone a sense of belonging. There is ethnic strife within every region: Ijaw Vs Itsekiri; Igbira Vs Igala; Hausa vs Gbagi etc; and the reason for this strife is that the minority groups feel they are being marginalised. A system that ensures every ethnic group has a fair chance of participating at the highest level of Governance is what Nigeria needs now.

I would also advise that people travel around this country, only that way would they appreciate the importance of the unity of this country. We have very little to gain dividing, but a lot to lose.
My brother if you can comprehend what that 'baba were' was trying to draw out I mean the op he was trying to imposed Oniyonu of iyonu in Ilorin which is not possible Emirate is no 1 Insha Allah Kwara south is the only problem we have in Kwara State if you ppl tired kindly plead with Jona to carved you ppl out of state of harmony
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 10:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
honifome: As yoruba patriots,we must not shy away from our responsibilities.Ilorin must be won back because of the antecedents during imperial oyo empire.The fall of the city to fulani is not as a result of yoruba cowardice but political intrigues in oyo, afonja rebellion and internecine crisis.The name ilorin is yoruba derived,ilu ti won tin LO IRIN(blacksmith city).Oyo arms were manufactured there and horses were supplied for the cavalry due to the tse tse fly free savannah climate.Ilorin is not the only relegated yorubaland viz akoko edos,kogi west likewise sabe and popo in republic of benin,even katunga in present niger state is a yorubaland.As the most civilised black race,we have to return to our belligerent style and win our cause because that is that is the only coherent solution to the mortal blow.
Awolowo fought for it He regret his life, never start what you will never finish. Akoko is yoruba name in Edo State, Akoko Edo
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 10:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
honifome: As yoruba patriots,we must not shy away from our responsibilities.Ilorin must be won back because of the antecedents during imperial oyo empire.The fall of the city to fulani is not as a result of yoruba cowardice but political intrigues in oyo, afonja rebellion and internecine crisis.The name ilorin is yoruba derived,ilu ti won tin LO IRIN(blacksmith city).Oyo arms were manufactured there and horses were supplied for the cavalry due to the tse tse fly free savannah climate.Ilorin is not the only relegated yorubaland viz akoko edos,kogi west likewise sabe and popo in republic of benin,even katunga in present niger state is a yorubaland.As the most civilised black race,we have to return to our belligerent style and win our cause because that is that is the only coherent solution to the mortal blow.
bola4dprec:
Awolowo fought for it He regret his life, never start what you will never finish. Akoko is yoruba name in Edo State, Akoko Edo
honifome: As yoruba patriots,we must not shy away from our responsibilities.Ilorin must be won back because of the antecedents during imperial oyo empire.The fall of the city to fulani is not as a result of yoruba cowardice but political intrigues in oyo, afonja rebellion and internecine crisis.The name ilorin is yoruba derived,ilu ti won tin LO IRIN(blacksmith city).Oyo arms were manufactured there and horses were supplied for the cavalry due to the tse tse fly free savannah climate.Ilorin is not the only relegated yorubaland others are akoko edos,kogi west likewise sabe and popo in republic of benin,even katunga in present niger state is a yorubaland.As the most civilised black race,we have to return to our belligerent style and win our cause because that is that is the only coherent solution to the mortal blow.
it's unfortunate that many among us are ignorant of history
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 11:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
honifome: it's unfortunate that many among us are ignorant of history
Having firmly and solemnly resolve, to live in unity and harmony as one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation under God, dedicated to the promotion of inter-African solidarity, world peace, international co-operation and understanding
And to provide for a Constitution for the purpose of promoting the good government and welfare of all persons in our country, on the principles of freedom, equality and justice, and for the purpose of consolidating the unity of our people. Nothing like Yoruba nation neither otherwise wake up from your slumber historian
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by bola4dprec(m): 11:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
classicEntity: Na wa oo, wel, The bottom line of all this arguement remains that Kwara state and Kwarans are NoRtHerNs. The Yorubas should stop this land grabbing and expansionism there are trying to do even to extent of trying to annex Itsekiri ethnic group, Please you guys should manage your geo-political zones first by removing those Agberos from ur streets nd looking what will sustain/boost your economy, mtsheew, mo fe sun jare, oda'ro..!
its well with you, Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia that doesn't make it become yoruba city now
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by honifome(m): 11:25pm On Oct 22, 2013
bola4dprec:
Having firmly and solemnly resolve, to live in unity and harmony as one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign nation under God, dedicated to the promotion of inter-African solidarity, world peace, international co-operation and understanding
And to provide for a Constitution for the purpose of promoting the good government and welfare of all persons in our country, on the principles of freedom, equality and justice, and for the purpose of consolidating the unity of our people. Nothing like Yoruba nation neither otherwise wake up from your slumber historian
bola4dprec:
bola4dprec:
you are the one slumbering because you don't know what is going wrong with various ethnic divisions in this country or pretending in disguise
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by amakenny: 11:37pm On Oct 22, 2013
One could see with Nobody and his plight in Kwaea state,. His five regions suggestion as well as his suggestion of redemarcation of the fedearating units or regions by ethnic boundaries are very appropriate.. But one thing, considering the discrimination and rejectiion given to northerners who are not of Hausa/Fulani/Kanuri origin by them, why do Yoruba chieftains of old ACN appear very comfortable in the drive to use APC merger to consign apex political leadership of Nigeria to Hausa/Fulani in 2015? Have the ACN chieftains not heard Prof. Ango Abdul say that his north can tetake apex political power and can afford to keep the power as long as it wants?
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by hitman2911: 11:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
lertee:
Thanks.
No I don't have to see the map smiley,I have passed through the three out of kwara before.
Ilorin was intended for example not kwara.

@ Lertee

I have been reading your comments. It is obvious that your knowledge of Ilorin and Kwara is very limited for a so called Ilorin indigene as you want us to believe. You have been missing up facts here.
For your information Kwara is not just Ilorin. Most purely Yoruba towns in Kwara will not follow Ilorin since they are always at logger head. Kwara has border with many SW states not just Oyo. Ofa, Igbominas, Kwara Ekitis will rather join SW where they will not be a minority. You need to take the map of Nigeria and see that Ilorin is surrounded by Yoruba towns and failure to join SW while other towns joined will let her an island.
Get your fact right before posting comments.
Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 23, 2013
bola4dprec:

You are really ignorant of ur history. You as a result don't know Where ur coming from and thus can't know Where you're going to.

1 Like

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by filebe777: 12:50am On Oct 23, 2013
I can't wait for true federalism to happen.All the yorubas coming together as one.from there we invite our brothers in benin and togo and also the carrabean(trinidad and tobago,brazil et al).I see a beautiful nation with no hurdles one ideology reigns.
ODUA NATION
We will write our books,showcase our civilization and tell our stories the way it is rather than telling my kids how mary sclessors stopped the killing of twins in Nigeria(I want my kids to go to school and Read about the greatness of their people that long before mary sclessors.the yourabs stopped killing twins before the white man came (*p.s Read about ondo and ileoluji,why the call each other omo iya kan kan)
This beautiful yoruba stories let me see the greatness of my people rather than a pale skin white lady came to rescue the niggers.
I believe the yorubas will right these stories,make video games of their own heros(imagine playing shango combat on play station! Awesome and priceless.
We will build our skools,roads hospitals,utilise our resources gainfully etc
I'm I saying too much? Well I will finish by saying welcome to my new world
DAMN!!! I can't just live with the IGBOs.
Terrible people...... ERANKO NI WON!!!!

4 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by filebe777: 1:04am On Oct 23, 2013
silent don:

You are really ignorant of ur history. You as a result don't know Where ur coming from and thus can't know Where you're going to.

No external foe ever defeated Yoruba in any war. Afonja was a Yoruba who Alimi betrayed and killed to take over rulership of Ilorin.

Ilorin is a Yoruba town, with typical Yoruba people inhabiting it but an illegal rulership who came in ruthlessly because of the rebellion of a Yoruba son (Afonja) and who must leave, albeit ruthlessly because of the illumination, anger and determination of the new generation Yoruba sons.

I've been so close to the rulership of this city even as a very young boy.

I was well aware when the emir and his irks packed their baggage and were set to flee Ilorin if Lawal wins the gubernatorial election IN THE DAYS OF LAWAL. IF NOT FOR SARAKI THAT SAW LAWAL DIE, THE STORY WOULD HV BN DIFFERENT.

WELL, THE D-DAY WAS ONLY POSTPONED.

call for back up in ondo,owo,ikare,ekiti,ijaw,ishekiri,osun,badagry,ibadan,ijebu,egba,ijesha,ilesha,ile-ife,lagos ati be be looo. when the die is cast.
we will come around and they will flee kabakaba.

2 Likes

Re: Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State by akigbemaru: 2:02am On Oct 23, 2013
Very excellent article

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

EndSARS: The Soro Soke Radio Twitter Account Has Been Suspended / El-rufai To Critics : GO AND DIE If You're Not Happy Over My Appointees / Stop Using French Flag As Profile Picture, It's An Act Of Slavery - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.