Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Should Students Be Paying Tithes. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Students Be Paying Tithes. (13519 Views)

Children Paying Tithes; IS THIS RIGHT? / Benefits Of Paying Tithes / Paying Tithes Or Giving To The Needy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Scream(m): 4:22pm On Oct 20, 2013
Perfecter4real: ignorant fellow is that what the bible told you huh? Read malachi 3:1o.

Why didn't Moses lead the children of Israel to the promise land?
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by robo247(m): 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
greatgod2012: As a student who come from a christian family, I believe your parents must have paid their tithe on their income, so, they don't have to give you another money for your own tithe and you don't have to pay tithe on the money given to you either.
May God help us all.
THATS D CONCLUSION OF THE WHOLE MATTER. BLESS U BRO.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by chy22(m): 5:27pm On Oct 20, 2013
These pastors are teaching money not gospel. I thought tithe should be paid from income, the question is how will students that collects money from their parents for feeding, school fees and transportation pay tithe. In reality students are among the less privileged and they should be the ones collecting tithe from their pastors, church members and their parents. But these greedy pastors will rather collect from them, what can be a big sin than deciveing a student who has no work to give you money in the name of tithe.

1 Like

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by aadejesu: 5:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
KwoiZabo: This is what I wrote on a tread that proceeded this on tithing I only bolded the student part.
Tithe is an erroneous msg so including students is unthinkable
1. We are against the pastors receiving tithes because they are not levites (Heb 7:5) and the doctrine because we are not of the law but of a better hope by which we draw near to God.(Heb 7:19).
2. I was paying tithe but as i matured in christianity and understood Grace and Truth (John1:17) i stopped but mind you my love for God and my service in the body of Christ at times takes up to 30% of my income.
3. Our mission on Nairaland is to save the body of Christ from wolves that have come in sheep's clothing Matt. 7:1-end(15), to halt the proliferation of criminals that have hijacked our pulpits today and to stop the wickedness of someone telling A STUDENT WHO CAN BARELY FEED, or a young man who cannot afford food and drugs for their aged parents or a market woman who cannot change the mosquito nets in her house to part with 10% of his/her income in the name of paying tithe. The merciful and compassionate God that i serve cannot make such demands only that people have not studied God's word properly and left themselves at the mercy of these greedy 'pastors'.
Please where is Frosbel we are missing him o!
the act of tithing did not start during the time of the Law. Heb 7:4-10, clearly shows how Abraham (who had been long before the law came into play) gave tithes, Gen 28;22 shows us how Jacob dedicated his life to God by committing himself to paying his tithes-- tithing is not just a command to us, it is a lifestyle of absolute dedication to God as our owner nd the owner of all we have. the problem here is that people believe that they are 'giving to the pastor' but that is a lie from the pit of hell. you are not giving to the pastor, you are presenting your tithe to God. every of your seed is all directed towards God please understand this. even the ones you give to the poor, you are giving them to God (Prov 19:17), (matt 25:35-40) proves what I'm saying. And this is a matter that's very serious to God. In Mal 3:8-10, God personally cursed his people who have chosen to be rebellious and disobidient not to pay their tithes, its like treason to God, and it has nothing to do with the pastor, its strictly between you and God. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by aadejesu: 5:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
The student that didn't go to church because his parents refused to give him tithes needs the understanding that he/she is not supposed to collect tithes from parents, from the money you have received over a particular time, removed the first one tenth of it, and that is your tithe, is not something you collect from your parents please, it is a personal committal to God where your finances are concerned.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by InvertedHammer: 5:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
/
NOBODY SHOULD PAY TITHE.
GOD DOES NOT NEED MONEY but your pastors do.

If you want to give some gifts to your pastor or the church, please do.

But don't act like you are bribing God on the insistence of the scammer man-of-God.

//

1 Like

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by kazyhm(m): 6:00pm On Oct 20, 2013
Conspiracy theory, what is the real purpose of TITHE in the first place, we're becominig more FOOLISH in dis country, why did GOD give everybody his/her own BRAIN, is it for shakomended ? ZOMBIE

1 Like

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by kazyhm(m): 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
Imagine, on inspiration FM this monin, a pastor called chris in his preaching said " God's response to ur request depend on the face jesus was putting on at the time of that request, jesus died with a face of a lamb he might come back with a lion face" I jst dn't undastand d statement
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by kazyhm(m): 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
Imagine, on inspiration FM this monin, a pastor called chris christian in his preaching said " God's response to ur request depend on the face jesus was putting on at the time of that request, jesus died with a face of a lamb he might come back with a lion face" I jst dn't undastand d statement
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by lomprico(m): 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
Alwaystrue:

Why will anyone be collecting tithe from his parents or anyone to give in church in the first place? Does he not have his own pocket money or the gifts he receives from people that he can give tithes from if he so wishes to? If he doesn't let him be.

Tithe is to be taken from increase, yield, of what God gives you and dedicated or set-apart in appreciation and acknowledgement. Even same for offering but many parents just give offerings to their children just to imbibe the culture of giving.

Any giving is based on the level of our faith.

From my early high school days I have been giving tithe of the gifts or pocket money I have, before I started working, and I used to give out my lunch money to beggars I often passed on my way home. I didn't start giving alms or tithe because I was expecting anything, I was a student, but because I was moved by compassion and because I appreciated God for even giving me anything at all.

Let our hearts be driven with the right spirit.

So tell your friend to go to church and stop being defiant.

2 Corinthians 8:12
For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

Giving tithe from gifts? I tot it should be from ur INCOME? What u earn from labour! Gift(s) is not earning. And don't tell us u were moved with compassion to give tithes form ur pocket money, u were told to do so by ur pastor in school. I was told same too.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by lomprico(m): 6:37pm On Oct 20, 2013
Perfecter4real: ignorant fellow is that what the bible told you huh? Read malachi 3:1o.
Onukwu! You go n read heb. 7: 5&19
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by PreciousGem(f): 7:05pm On Oct 20, 2013
KwoiZabo: This is what I wrote on a tread that proceeded this on tithing I only bolded the student part.
Tithe is an erroneous msg so including students is unthinkable
1. We are against the pastors receiving tithes because they are not levites (Heb 7:5) and the doctrine because we are not of the law but of a better hope by which we draw near to God.(Heb 7:19).
2. I was paying tithe but as i matured in christianity and understood Grace and Truth (John1:17) i stopped but mind you my love for God and my service in the body of Christ at times takes up to 30% of my income.
3. Our mission on Nairaland is to save the body of Christ from wolves that have come in sheep's clothing Matt. 7:1-end(15), to halt the proliferation of criminals that have hijacked our pulpits today and to stop the wickedness of someone telling A STUDENT WHO CAN BARELY FEED, or a young man who cannot afford food and drugs for their aged parents or a market woman who cannot change the mosquito nets in her house to part with 10% of his/her income in the name of paying tithe. The merciful and compassionate God that i serve cannot make such demands only that people have not studied God's word properly and left themselves at the mercy of these greedy 'pastors'.
Please where is Frosbel we are missing him o!

Jesus describe a woman in d temple as he was watchin pp give and d woman drop a penny and Jesus said this woman gave all she had. Now if the woman had looked at all the conditions u are describing for one not to give would she have given. God says 'try him and see if he wld not open windows of blessings' wat u say u won't do it is wrong to discourage others frm the blessings in it.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by bejeria101(m): 7:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
Students dont pay tithe,it is meant for income earners that have a job that pays a regular amount consistently,if u take 10% of ur fees to pay tithe,guy dat skook wll kick you out
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by chy22(m): 7:22pm On Oct 20, 2013
Students should be collecting tithe from their pastors

1 Like

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by theoctopus: 8:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
In the bible, particularly in the old testament where tithe was mentioned, only farmers and those that owned animals paid tithes. Other workers like carpenters, builders, etc never paid tithe. Tithe was specifically from the fruit of the ground. That is why Jesus never paid tithes, because he was a carpenter. Even if you go to Israel today, the Jew will tell you the same thing from their Thorah! The Israelites never paid tithes in the wilderness for the forty years they spent there. In fact, they didnt pay tithes from the spoils of war they got when they fought and defeated the moabites and amalekites in the wilderness. They where specifically told to start bringing in the tithes from their first harvest when they got to the promised land. That is why the teachings of tithe that is being spread around is wrong. If tithes is compulsory, then offerings must be compulsory too because, God said in Malachi 3:10 which these pastors always quote that, "you have robbed me in tithes and in offerings". So if you say you rob God in tithes and offering and that makes tithe compulsory, then it also makes offering compulsory.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Ife4real: 9:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
it s a pity dat many christians are just readin their bible frm d surface and even some ar jst readin it lyk a story book mostly for argument purpose. TITHE is one tenth of your income. It s a commandment frm d LORD. "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this", says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." (Malachi 3:10). You ar 2 bring it 2 storehouse and nt 2 ur pastor. Tithe s a commandment jst lyk other commandment that u may just choose to obey or choose not to obey. The benefits of tithing are for you and nt for ur pastors or whosoever spend it. The LORD says "test me in this", and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." You own s to obey and nt 2 worry abt wht it s used for and i tel u u wil never regret it. Now for students, yes, student cn pay tithe out of his/her pocket money or income. Your father paid his tithe frm his income and God wil bless in 4 that but if u say because of that u wil nt pay your own, u ar limitin God blessin for you self. Paying tithe s a commandment and at the same time is a choice. Make a right choice and promise you u wil never regret it.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Kujo(m): 10:03pm On Oct 20, 2013
aku626: You don't ask your parents for money to pay your tithe, you can ask for money for offering, His tithe would be from his own pocket, e.g. may be out of his allowance or if he has other means of income.

do you mean stealing
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Alwaystrue(f): 10:10pm On Oct 20, 2013
lomprico:

Giving tithe from gifts? I tot it should be from ur INCOME? What u earn from labour! Gift(s) is not earning. And don't tell us u were moved with compassion to give tithes form ur pocket money, u were told to do so by ur pastor in school. I was told same too.

I am sure you missed where I said early high school....secondary school NOT yet in Uni, so it was not university fellowship pastor. I was not even expected to be giving such then, so sorry to burst your bubble.
As I said it depends on your level of faith. Just take it or leave it. smiley
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by chrisme(m): 12:13am On Oct 21, 2013
if you can't give God 10percent of ur pocket money, it will b difficult to give him 10percent even when you start earning millions. Tithing is into God not pastor or giving alms
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Swiftboy(m): 4:19am On Oct 21, 2013
Stop paying tithes altogether! Its not new testament complaint! We're in the time of grace,not under the curse of non payment of tithe but God's commitment to bless us because someone paid the price. We get anything from God strictly by faith!it is however not a sin to pay tithe but one ought not to see it as its been preached today in most churches.
Furthermore,giving has no restriction.In obedience to God,one may give all! If you're Christian enough,giving wont be your challenge at all.Study Christ,the acts of Apostles and the early Churches.no tithe was mentioned.Christ taught us how to give using the widow as a blue-print of what our attitude of giving should be.The story of the widow and her 2coins which's all that she has taught us that we can freely give all we have not necessarily because we want to be blessed like the pharisees did.The book of acts said they share everything in common,such that non was poor!read the epistles we're to give to Churches,the poor and the men of God.Dont pay tithe because its lawful,pay it as offering unto God!
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by lomprico(m): 6:44am On Oct 21, 2013
Alwaystrue:

I am sure you missed where I said early high school....secondary school NOT yet in Uni, so it was not university fellowship pastor. I was not even expected to be giving such then, so sorry to burst your bubble.
As I said it depends on your level of faith. Just take it or leave it. smiley
Dear, u dint burst no bubbles of mine. Ur pastor in church or some of his agents told u then, cos u dint just wake up one morning n decided to start giving ur pocket money as tithe. D brainwash move has been made on u it only took time for it to sink in. Maybe in ur case, very fast.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by njuwo(m): 7:04am On Oct 21, 2013
ayusco85: From the little i knw, i think only those earning salaries are supposed to pay tithe, cos its ur sweat. As a student, u are not working, and ur pocket money is not a salary because u didnt worked for it. I dont think students are compelled to pay tithe. **my opinion*
Happy sunday to u all
Thank u my brother, dis is it. Sum pple dnt even knw d meanin of tithe which is one tenth of ur annual income.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by spark4daz(f): 8:07am On Oct 21, 2013
Tithe is not like offering you take from you parents. As for me as a student i pay my tithe, because it's an instruction from God and it benefits me greatly. And if the pastors use it wrongly, thats their own cup of MILK, and they will have to answer to the main BOSS someday

1 Like

Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by wyette: 11:31am On Oct 21, 2013
Yes students should pay thithe, from their pocket money and allowance (in my very personal opinion). It is not your place to judge if your pastors have private jets. Just Obey the biblical injunction. My personal testimony:

In the university I got only N500 (five hundred naira only) per week as allowance. (my parents tried but could afford more). I tried to always pay my thithe N50/week.

After uni without writing application for job, I got a placement in one of the "big four" first salary N110,000k per month and It has since increased. I passed from uni in flying colours. In an economy where work is hard to find. Not only that I got the job during service and this company kept my position for me for more than a year. If God had not work it out this way I would have been too "old" for the job after service.

God is indeed faithful. I can go on.

This is my testimony. anyone who has a different opinion just share. no need to insult me or my belief. notice i did not pass any insults to any1 either. this is my "personal" view and i am entitled to it. be mature enuf to understand this.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by madridsta007(m): 12:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
According to the Bible, giving of tithe (I don't like the word 'paying' because it sounds as if someone is forcing the other person with a gun to the head) is based on whatever you get as income.

By definition, income in anything that comes into you, as an outcome of either some service rendered or something given to you freely.

So students should give their tithe.

I must confess, I personally did not give tithe while I was a student until after my first degree. A combination of factors- poor understanding of tithing, lack of faith or simply being nonchalant and spiritually mediocre caused it. Thank God for the grace of a second chance.

However while working in a foremost multinational, one of my colleagues told me of his testimony.

According to him, he faithfully gave his tithe while as a student. Faithfully, and attached a vow to it, one of a job after his youth service. He finished in the lower cadre of a 2.2 and when he was done with service, God instantly blessed him with a job in the multinational, a place where only 8-10 people are offered GMT roles once per year.

It was more miraculous as the company had for that year he applied, a trial-run of allowing applicants of 2.2 degree and above. The next year after he got the job, the company reverted to 2.1 and it has since remained like that up to today.

This is a close, personal friend of mine and a testimony attached to giving of tithes as a student.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by godman01(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2013
Point of correction, you don't pay tithe, you prove God with your tithe. If you want the blessings of tithe then, give it and if not...
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Dinakas(f): 12:39pm On Oct 21, 2013
teeo: Nobody should be paying tithe. Can you see how the message of tithe has hindered your friend from listening to the word of God.

as children of God, we shud pay our tithes, student or not. Any gift or allowances u get as a student, u shud deduct ur tithe frm it cos its God's own.

If u hav money issues n u dont want to giv ur tithes, endeavour to giv ur tithe. God cn surprise u n besides it God wil bring forth His blessing Malachi 3:10...NOTE: nt blessings, but blessing. Dis is because derz a blessing dahz to follow u. Buh if u dont do dat, u wil b robbin God. Malachi 3:8.

U cn read futher if u care to.
Buh lets nt get decievd, u re nt payin tithe to benefit d pastor, buh for ur own self n in obedience with the word of God.

N I cn go on n oncheesy
My hand ooo...to type isnt easy.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by michy99(f): 1:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
4rm w@ i no abt tithe, students shudnt b payin tithe cos tithe is 10 percent of ur income and students r nt salary earners.so i dont c any reason students shud pay tithe.as a student u can only pay tithe if ur workin or willingly decide on ur own 2 b doin d@.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by TSumthin: 5:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
So some pple still gullibly pay this tithe? I won't blame them, they are far from the truth.
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Swiftboy(m): 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
wyette: Yes students should pay thithe, from their pocket money and allowance (in my very personal opinion). It is not your place to judge if your pastors have private jets. Just Obey the biblical injunction. My personal testimony:

In the university I got only N500 (five hundred naira only) per week as allowance. (my parents tried but could afford more). I tried to always pay my thithe N50/week.

After uni without writing application for job, I got a placement in one of the "big four" first salary N110,000k per month and It has since increased. I passed from uni in flying colours. In an economy where work is hard to find. Not only that I got the job during service and this company kept my position for me for more than a year. If God had not work it out this way I would have been too "old" for the job after service.

God is indeed faithful. I can go on.

This is my testimony. anyone who has a different opinion just share. no need to insult me or my belief. notice i did not pass any insults to any1 either. this is my "personal" view and i am entitled to it. be mature enuf to understand this.
Brother! I bless God for the grace upon your life! Bro its not tithe but God's grace!
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Joeadamxx(m): 11:27pm On Oct 21, 2013
My grouse is not only about the payment of tithe. Recall that for O&G workers, resident tax in states like Lagos and Rivers is about 25% of income. Now we are told you must pay 10% to "God" as tithe. So that is 35% of my money gone. The the church is expecting you to also give offerings every sunday, that could probably take another 5 -10% if you go to church every Sunday in a month. On top of this, you are expected to still contribute to the purchase of infrastructures for the Church. Now tell me at the end of the day, how much will be my take home? Also, to ask the pertinent question; If tithe and offerings are to ensure "God's" works are progressing uninterrupted, why then do the parishioners still expected to contribute to the building of the church, buying of organs e.t.c.?

Please I want this to be a new thread, I need answers as I am losing my faith fast...........
Re: Should Students Be Paying Tithes. by Alwaystrue(f): 6:59am On Oct 22, 2013
lomprico:
D brainwash move has been made on u it only took time for it to sink in. Maybe in ur case, very fast.
For once you are right, possibly this will make you feel and sleep better so clap for yourself. I was indeed wholly washed by the word of God, my brain inclusive of course. cheesy so run along now and take your own brain for a wash by God, it will help you think righteously and then after the body wash, you will be able to type biblical sense.

Ephesians 5:26
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the WASHING of WATER by the WORD

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Baptist Convention Paid Bandits N250m To Release Abducted Bethel Student / Must A Christian Be Baptized In A River? / What Almost Broke Your Faith In GOD And How You Overcame It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.