Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,584 members, 7,955,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:03 PM

What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country (25282 Views)

Paying In And Withdraw Money In Foreign Country From Nigerian Bank Account? / Reasons, Ideas, Scopes & Aids . . Leaving The Country? Already In A Foreign Country? / Deportation Of Nigerian In Foreign Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by olumyde5(m): 6:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
llbhuds: The day i realised im always on d same train with uk prime minister everyday.
Cant imagine dat happening in naija

YOU DEY SURE?
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
My first time in a foreign country was in 1996; I went to London (on transit) with my dad and 3 of my siblings. I was shocked by the 'extreme' weather, it was so cold. Also, the sight of the famous 'double - decker' buses was totally fascinating.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Damojo: 6:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
sissy_ijebu:

Cape Verde shocked please tell me more . I want visit sometime

They don't have Ijebu garri oh.

Onamore seriousnote tho', it's a wonderful place. Wifey n I were there 4 our 1st year anniversary n we were surprised 2 c a Nigerian who hs been dere for 12yrs. He claims 2 sell only straw hats but has 2houses in Lagos.

So u sef fit dey import straw hats smiley
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by vivaciousvivi(f): 6:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
The weather. I was warned to carry a thick cardigan from Lagos and wear it just before disembarking. I decided to wear a long sleeve top and waist coat. Ol boy, the cold air that hit me eh! I was honestly shivering! That was London. In Addis Abba enroute to Dubai, I thought I would die and couldnt wait to enter the shuttle bus. who knew an East African country was that cold in Jan? It wasn't funny o.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by trolling(m): 6:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
me i no really get shock o but in a way na shock,na so my people been carry me go grocery store, na hin the sliding door open before i reach am,omo con see as i step back grin,this has been more than a decade sha grin

8 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by seangy4konji: 6:07pm On Nov 01, 2013
Went i sipped my Vodka from my little russian apamo at Dxb and remembered Naija.i wished the political leaders all dieded...or is it wen i wanted to go get rice and took along my charger thinking there will be no electricity when i get back i cried that Naija has twisted my brain.

7 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 6:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
Why the heck did I make that statement?
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by lastpage: 6:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
llbhuds: The day i realised im always on d same train with uk prime minister everyday.
Cant imagine dat happening in naija

Same with me, the Prime Minister's car was pointed out to me (and he had one other unmarked car, no siren, nothing at all, just in the traffic like everyone else!) just as it passed us and l was like, this cant be true, where are the Mopols flogging everybody? How come other could still drive on the same road simultaneously? How come he was not "afraid of his own security" like Stella Oduah and other "big men" of Nigeria?

Now, that is one rude shock that stayed with me till today!
The next one was The lack of "respect" for elders and ability of children to do whatever they like
l saw one ten year old smoking cigarette after school hours (still in school uniform) in public view and l nearly slapped some sense into him before my fella warned me not to try it otherwise, l will be a guest at Mama Charlie Prisons, very quickly!
Everyone just walked-by as if the boy was invisible! shocked )

Of recent, it is watching two young Boys (of about 16years age) kissing themselves and groping each other's private parts, the broad day light!
Gosh, l just shake my head in disbelief.
Did l hear you shout "civilization and freedom"? You are Korrect, berry-berry Korrect! grin grin

Lastpage!

7 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by MEILYN(m): 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
GustavoFring: As soon as I left Naija boundary, I just kneel down dey cry.

Then I tore my passport.

Omo Cameroon too fine, I aint going back... grin
grin grin lmao
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Miles78(f): 6:33pm On Nov 01, 2013
I went to Germany in Winter but hey it was full blown summer in SA. See me as I strutted my waist in Frankfurt airport with shorts and sleevless top..People were looking at me in a funny way but this Xhosa gal just held her head high. a nyways, that was when I was hospitalised for 3 weeks that I learnt to inform myself abt other countries before I visited them.

3 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Vicjay1(m): 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
the shock of my life was when i saw some conductors and bus drivers i know very well @ ring road (benin city) in Turin. i wad lyk am i still in benin!

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by MEILYN(m): 6:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
cry cry who go carry me Abroad nw? I never even see Cotonou or Ghana before, i dont even know what another country smells like. Chaii Poverty nah curse oo. grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by enomasly: 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2013
I was actually born and partially bred in UK so my first foreign country was Nigeria i remember how i got stuck 2 one position when the power supply got interrupted and an electricity generating machine was put on then i continued having fun wow....cant eva forget dat *cant wait 4 christmas*
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by MEILYN(m): 6:39pm On Nov 01, 2013
Vic-jay:
the shock of my life was when i saw some conductors and bus drivers i know very well @ ring road (benin city) in Turin. i wad lyk am i still in benin!
grin grin
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by lastpage: 6:42pm On Nov 01, 2013
chelseabmw: The Road Network lipsrsealed lipsrsealed when I first got to south Africa I was confused because I actually thought I was in Holland......The OR Tambo international airport is one of the best in Africa.... When I see our MM airport here in nigeria I can't just help but cry embarassed embarassed
You mean with "all the renovation" that Stella Oduah had just done on our MM-Airport, e never satisfy you?
You no see as she paint the thing and do roofing ..wey come dey leak after rain fall small! shocked
Abeg, left matter o! angry angry

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by kwajahafiz(m): 6:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
ogugua88: I actually went to Nigeria for the first time in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Lagos, Onitsha, the village... the entire experience. When one has everything in terms of basic amenities, it's easy to take little facets of life for granted. My parents and siblings were always complaining when NEPA took light. Instead I saved all my work, and would go outside for a stroll with my cousins, or find other ways to keep me busy. Funnily enough, bathing with dettol in my bath water and using bottled water to brush my teeth never fazed me. If other people can survive in that country, then so should I lol.

What SHOCKED me, however, were the lack of public toilets, the amount of trash in alleyways and gutters. The lack of public toilets didn't really hit me until we took a bus from Lagos to Onitsha lol. I drank no water and ate no food to survive that trip lol.

No public toilets......cmon now...Every bush or green pasture you see is a public toilet.....and those green leaves i spose make good toilet papers......because every time I look out the window on any of my within Nigeria trips..I see people doing thier bussiness in the bushes, dont see them holding toilet papers...Truth.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by kwajahafiz(m): 6:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
ogugua88: I actually went to Nigeria for the first time in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Lagos, Onitsha, the village... the entire experience. When one has everything in terms of basic amenities, it's easy to take little facets of life for granted. My parents and siblings were always complaining when NEPA took light. Instead I saved all my work, and would go outside for a stroll with my cousins, or find other ways to keep me busy. Funnily enough, bathing with dettol in my bath water and using bottled water to brush my teeth never fazed me. If other people can survive in that country, then so should I lol.

What SHOCKED me, however, were the lack of public toilets, the amount of trash in alleyways and gutters. The lack of public toilets didn't really hit me until we took a bus from Lagos to Onitsha lol. I drank no water and ate no food to survive that trip lol.

No public toilets......cmon now...Every bush or green pasture you see is a public toilet.....and those green leaves i spose make good toilet papers......because every time I look out the window on any of my within Nigeria trips..I see people doing thier bussiness in the bushes, dont see them holding toilet papers...Truth.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 6:47pm On Nov 01, 2013
Lachynos2k2: I served in katsina state so I take leg waka enta niger republic,what really surprised me was dat I take leg enta abroad.

I don die with laughter!!! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by dedarks(m): 6:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
Countdown to travel Yankee tic tic tic . . . .
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Exclibur(m): 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2013
On my first visit to India, it took about 2 weeks befor I saw another black person...I was like WTF?

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 01, 2013
Steady power supply,fast internet service and organized transport system.

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Asabeq(f): 7:18pm On Nov 01, 2013
Lol so you are just giving sexkillz hope since you have come to Nigeria just once! So its internet dating cuz am sure the poor guy have never gone to ghana not to talk of USA....
Pls what is the name of his bleaching cream cuz that creature on your profile is all bleached up!

@ topic,wasn't really shocked but wished the white men have stayed longer with us just like SA cry
The development would have bn faster and mentality,changed a bit!

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by rhames(m): 7:28pm On Nov 01, 2013
in Europe, the women smoke uncontrollably grin

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Sike(m): 7:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
Davo93: Poor me,,, i have not gone beyond the shores of Naija... lols. Na small time e remain sha cheesy
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
rhames: in Europe, the women smoke uncontrollably grin
So true!!

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 01, 2013
redcliff:

Bros. -45C? Haba. That one go quench hell fire 1ce! Fear God o.
Try Manitoba region in Canada

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
I found the level of infrastructural development in Jamaica admirable. Cities like Kingston and Montego Bay are well developed with good, clean roads with sidewalks and covered drainage. Excellent nightlife, great, hospitable people, and their Jerk pork national recipe is gorgeous.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Illuminatus(m): 8:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Illuminatus(m): 8:04pm On Nov 01, 2013
The first I noticed when I landed in Asciuon, Paraguay was that I would have a hard time communicating with other people. Most of them don't speak English - at all- and the only Spanish words I knew was Hola and Sí and I didn't know what they meant. We (I was travelling with a group) hired a translator who helped bridge the gap.
Then as we travelled, I noticed that although Nigeria is more economic potential that the country, it is more developed and organised. All the streets are cobble stoned and the streets aren't like something a madman designed. We moved down to Encanción where we were staying I had my biggest surprise. The food.
I don't know what they cook. The only thing I could there is this baked thing with a whole lot of beef in it in lunch. I always skipped dinner because I can't stomach what our hosts cook. The only time I really eat is breakfast. They have the tastiest milk fresh and they have this fabulous bread. I make four teacups of tea with the milk and take a loaf of the bread to my table and admist stares from the locals, I devor everything. I top it up with three bananas and an apple....
The communication barrier was another problem. There was this beautiful person I so much wanted to "chat up" but I just ended up doing sign language and feeling like an idiot the entire timesmiley.
I had fun visiting their museums, seeing their well preserved histories and art.
I was surprised at how clean everywhere was. Even though much of the area were ranches, the environment was clean and friendly.
And finally, the way they treated us. Not just our hosts, but the people in general. They asked us questions, very interested in us. They were very welcoming and didn't waste time warming to us. Even with the malaria scare we brought with us. (one of us had come down with malaria. And for some reason, these guys are paranoid of malaria. They put nets against our windows).
So that's it.

7 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Afam4eva(m): 8:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
josh4ever: The British COLD!

Na that day wey I know say my Naija AC na pupil grin
I've always heard that the British cold is severe. How can it be compared to that of Canada.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by jawjaw1: 8:15pm On Nov 01, 2013
redcliff:

Bros. -45C? Haba. That one go quench hell fire 1ce! Fear God o.

Yes o! Dats Calgary for you.
E fit reach -50C sometimes.
You go fear cold.
grin grin grin

To imagine that generations have been living here and surviving just makes you wonder.
God is indeed wonderful.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Governor Peter Mbah To Construct Enugu Central Terminal In 12 Months / Nigerian Man In France Calls The Police On His Fellow Nigerian (pics/video) / Nnamdi Ezechi Survives Accident As Mopol Attached To Him Dies (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.