Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country (25090 Views)

Paying In And Withdraw Money In Foreign Country From Nigerian Bank Account? / Reasons, Ideas, Scopes & Aids . . Leaving The Country? Already In A Foreign Country? / Deportation Of Nigerian In Foreign Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by eme1n(m): 8:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
Moved to Tottenham in 1995, Rude londoners, Razzness, Crassness was beyond belief. Some guy was given a pound coin and the shock on his face as if he had been given a thousand pounds was amusing to me!!

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by UKBobo(m): 8:31pm On Nov 01, 2013
And for some reason, these guys are paranoid of malaria. They put nets against our windows) - Paraguay -

Because malaria kills my brother. When I reach Naija, I am always shocked at the lack of prevention, as though being morbidly sick for 2 weeks is mandatory behaviour. SMH :- shocked shocked shocked shocked

If I dey president, netting would be everywhere for that country, that even boko haram no fit move from one LGA to another. Ameen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Bsideboi(m): 8:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
ogugua88: I actually went to Nigeria for the first time in 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Lagos, Onitsha, the village... the entire experience. When one has everything in terms of basic amenities, it's easy to take little facets of life for granted. My parents and siblings were always complaining when NEPA took light. Instead I saved all my work, and would go outside for a stroll with my cousins, or find other ways to keep me busy. Funnily enough, bathing with dettol in my bath water and using bottled water to brush my teeth never fazed me. If other people can survive in that country, then so should I lol.

What SHOCKED me, however, were the lack of public toilets, the amount of trash in alleyways and gutters. The lack of public toilets didn't really hit me until we took a bus from Lagos to Onitsha lol. I drank no water and ate no food to survive that trip lol.
U were in Nigeria,in festac to be precise,attended a wedding with two other ladies about your age.You are good looking (facially tho),You have so much fat around your waist...wait!!! you look like someone from d carribeans ..how come you are half Nigerian?? and yea u gotta get married!!

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
ekaete: Ha swear, when a rish london, the cod reach -65C. I dey shake like udara tree for harmattan. Has i reach my pipu house, na shimney a enter.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Deschil: 8:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
Huh!?
havilaLAGOS:

there are so many places in Nigeria esp Lagos that has zebra crossing too and the cars also wait for pedestrian to cross
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
lastpage:

Same with me, the Prime Minister's car was pointed out to me (and he had one other unmarked car, no siren, nothing at all, just in the traffic like everyone else!) just as it passed us and l was like, this cant be true, where are the Mopols flogging everybody? How come other could still drive on the same road simultaneously? How come he was not "afraid of his own security" like Stella Oduah and other "big men" of Nigeria?

Now, that is one rude shock that stayed with me till today!
The next one was The lack of "respect" for elders and ability of children to do whatever they like
l saw one ten year old smoking cigarette after school hours (still in school uniform) in public view and l nearly slapped some sense into him before my fella warned me not to try it otherwise, l will be a guest at Mama Charlie Prisons, very quickly!
Everyone just walked-by as if the boy was invisible! shocked )

Of recent, it is watching two young Boys (of about 16years age) kissing themselves and groping each other's private parts, the broad day light!
Gosh, l just shake my head in disbelief.
Did l hear you shout "civilization and freedom"? You are Korrect, berry-berry Korrect! grin grin

Lastpage!
How u wan travel abroad go slap a white child before?
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Ndipe(m): 10:20pm On Nov 01, 2013
The unfriendliness.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by eeeeeee: 10:23pm On Nov 01, 2013
chelseabmw: The Road Network lipsrsealed lipsrsealed when I first got to south Africa I was confused because I actually thought I was in Holland......The OR Tambo international airport is one of the best in Africa.... When I see our MM airport here in nigeria I can't just help but cry embarassed embarassed
I thought Tambo was cool till i went to Changi.
Nature meets technology.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by youthmustwork: 10:45pm On Nov 01, 2013
Lovely comments, am enjoying. Gud thing d sweet ooo

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by obiphizzy: 11:09pm On Nov 01, 2013
bloglover: I couldnt find Okpa di óku angry
you dey think say na nsukka abi enugu u dey
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 01, 2013
Damojo:

They don't have Ijebu garri oh.

Onamore seriousnote tho', it's a wonderful place. Wifey n I were there 4 our 1st year anniversary n we were surprised 2 c a Nigerian who hs been dere for 12yrs. He claims 2 sell only straw hats but has 2houses in Lagos.

So u sef fit dey import straw hats smiley

Thank you. I go consider the straw matter
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by munky(m): 12:04am On Nov 02, 2013
first time i left Nigeria. September 2009.. landed in Amsterdam. was like another planet.. truth be told i was wowed. then wen i finally reached Manchester.. the cold was the first thing i noticed, then the taxis had meters and the buses had numbers on them. it was an exhilarating experience. since then i have traveled around the world, still cant shake off the feeling of surprise and awe whenever i land in another foreign land.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:10am On Nov 02, 2013
Oh poor me. How I wish I could have foreign experience and comment like many here.

If tomorrow sun still shine on me, I hold tears and accept it gon be a good day.

4 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by benz50: 12:20am On Nov 02, 2013
mehn...mine waz wen i was in the university skool bus.... wen 2 guys starting kissing.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by turl(m): 12:24am On Nov 02, 2013
lol..when I finally got the concept of oyster cards..I cussed our naija govt for denying us many basic things. The thought that people have just one life to live and they're stuck in a country like naija is depressing.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by mansam15: 1:01am On Nov 02, 2013
it ws definitely the cold as I commot airport I think say God on ac fr outside and I come dey look fr am
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Dewze(m): 1:38am On Nov 02, 2013
Lachynos2k2: I served in katsina state so I take leg waka enta niger republic,what really surprised me was dat I take leg enta abroad.

my guy u too funny. U stroll enter abroad o!cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by skiesoduah: 3:40am On Nov 02, 2013
What shocked me was how much security we had throughtout our stay. From the abuja airport, abuja, Lagos and Anambra. At a point I thought there was some kind of war going on in Nigeria but as I grow up I get used to it.

Another thing was how dirty the airport was.

I didn't have bad experience.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by whitecat007: 6:19am On Nov 02, 2013
As a teenager then I was shocked when I saw a store on oxford street in London with wienner on everything
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by peteafrik88(m): 6:31am On Nov 02, 2013
emma_best2000: which town did u visited in Nigeria
She visited Awka, her home town...

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by peteafrik88(m): 6:33am On Nov 02, 2013
adaobi123:

I've been to a lot. Why do you ask ?
Awka was the first right?? Your home town
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by stylesco: 7:59am On Nov 02, 2013
skies.oduah:
What shocked me was how much security we had throughtout our stay. From the abuja airport, abuja, Lagos and Anambra. At a point I thought there was some kind of war going on in Nigeria but as I grow up I get used to it.

Another thing was how dirty the airport was.

I didn't have bad experience.

Your mother is in the position to change the face of that airport.

She's the one responsible for it.

3 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Intelligentman(m): 8:19am On Nov 02, 2013
From the Kuala Lumpur international airport,Malaysia access to free internet at the airport.There hotels inside the airport were i lodged for one week while waiting for my school to come and picked me up.The day i came out from the airport,there was a heavy rain but after 2 minutes it stopped the whole places looked as if there was not even a drop.This is how i can say for now.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by ThoniaSlim(f): 8:32am On Nov 02, 2013
That it was actually possible to have light 24hours daily! grin
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 02, 2013
bloglover: I couldnt find Okpa di óku angry

Gooonu okpa grin

Nwa nsukka!!
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by jeffizy(m): 9:53am On Nov 02, 2013
A 22 year old bar attendant saying I am not up to 18 in a Carli.. bar when my pikin don dey grow hair for in TOOL box! Lol
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by chineloSA(f): 9:55am On Nov 02, 2013
SA - The oversize butt that SA woman have shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Out of this world. At the same time the development that was there, didn't feel like Africa. Then again, going to their ghetto's changed the whole perception and made me have mixed feelings. How cold SA can also get shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. Apart from that everything is functioning.
Botswana - Just a replica of SA but was extremely hot that summer. Quiete small. Citizens not as friendly.
Mozambique - How dirty Maputo is and how different their Islands are. ( woooow, I enjoyed it )
Lesotho - How rural the whole country is. Goats running around in the capital city Masaru shocked shocked shocked shocked
London - How cold the place is. ( first time out of the country )

Zambia, Seychelles & Mauritius - coming soon. Africa is beautiful. wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by theripper3: 10:21am On Nov 02, 2013
Went to a mall in Frankfurt with my paddy from Naija who had been staying there for a while. Saw two grown a-s-s men hugging and kissing in the full glare of pple and pple didn't bother. I was shocked to my marrows, I had to wait and stare. My friend just tap me say, "Nna, u think say na Naija u dey? These ones no send u o. Na so I just waka dey shake head.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by debeey87(m): 10:52am On Nov 02, 2013
Mine was my visit to dubai this year. First time out of the country actually. Menn d airport make sense die. Was surprised that the same trolley you would have to pay to use in MMA was free in the Airport. You just pick one and put your luggage on it, finish.

Hitting the road, na him i come dey find pothole, Menn, I no see anyone. Everywhere was so clean and tidy. Then I saw this 5 lane dual carriage road. I was like no be this same oil wey them get we get for naija too and to dualise roads, govt go dey tell us say money no dey. the thing vex me o.

Entering the metroline was smtn else. Fast, clean no b naija railway where some mannerless persons wl be insulting you when you enter. The cul tn about the rails is that, every 5mins, another train is at the station.

Then, d last but not the least, nepa.... sorry no nepa there, electricity dey kampe for there. Though every apartment buildings have generators but in my 5 weeks, didnt see them use it once.

Was such a wonderful experience. I know Naija will get there one day soon.

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 11:10am On Nov 02, 2013
what shocked me when I visited Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) was that there were so many big and beautiful buildings and yet the people were so poor with so many beggars on the roads. wetin shock me pass be say fulani dey carry sheep waka all over the capital city even in front of the UN conference center shocked. also I found it difficult to breath, I was always gasping (I visited in November sha). But when I went to France, I was shocked by the roads!!!!! we drove from paris to Le Creusot (about 4 hrs) without meeting a single pot hole!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Car Crashes Into A Shop In Iyana Ipaja, Lagos After The Driver Lost Control / UK Announces New Visa Application Centre In Port Harcourt / Family Of Seven Die In Motor Accident In Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.