Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country (25104 Views)

Paying In And Withdraw Money In Foreign Country From Nigerian Bank Account? / Reasons, Ideas, Scopes & Aids . . Leaving The Country? Already In A Foreign Country? / Deportation Of Nigerian In Foreign Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Ezemust: 12:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
llbhuds: The day i realised im always on d same train with uk prime minister everyday.
Cant imagine dat happening in naija
pls 4get dos oyibo wit dia show biko
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 02, 2013
the_ripper3: Went to a mall in Frankfurt with my paddy from Naija who had been staying there for a while. Saw two grown a-s-s men hugging and kissing in the full glare of pple and pple didn't bother. I was shocked to my marrows, I had to wait and stare. My friend just tap me say, "Nna, u think say na Naija u dey? These ones no send u o. Na so I just waka dey shake head.

No lie, you been wan enter set abi?
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 12:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
peteafrik88:
Awka was the first right?? Your home town

Not really lol. I first went to places in Lagos and enugu before I got to anambra.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by rahjan: 12:51pm On Nov 02, 2013
Friend do you hear the flight of dark crows over our lands?

Friend do you hear the dulled cries of our country in chains?

Our once beautiful virgin country has been raped by men with no conscience

Shall we continue to standby while they plunder our inheritance?

Let us for once take a stand; take a stand for what is ours.

Let us say ‘’NO’’ to all that destroys our land.

NIGERIA can be a great country, standing shoulder to shoulder with all these countries you are admiring.

A collection of our tiny efforts can start a movement.

Let us do it; Let us change the way it is to the way it could be.

Our children shall bless us for it.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by airmark(m): 12:57pm On Nov 02, 2013
I was shocked when a lady called me AKON from a far and came to hug me at the schiphol airport. I was embarrassed. She later knew she goofed and apologised.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by UKBobo(m): 1:22pm On Nov 02, 2013
All of the above mentioned are basics - lighting, infrastructure, good roads, planning and order. The Naija man turns these things into 'miracles' and rather than the people facing their duty and calling politicians to order. They flock to mosque and church looking for 'signs and wonders' to escape the wahala.

Question is - when those that travel reach back to Naija - how do we effect change?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by dkings101(m): 1:52pm On Nov 02, 2013
From the Skies of Kuala Lumpur Int'l Airport, U see the design of the road like it's drawn on Paper. U can't help but open ur mouth to "WOW". The Airport is One of the Best. U have to take computer-driven train to the other axis of the Airport to cross immigration. Underneath the airport is another computerised train tat wd take u directly to the capital city (KL Sentral) where u final find ur way from there.

Na the road network u wan talk? U don't need to knw road, just buy/rent motor, dey drive, if u miss road, no worry, u wd surely reconnect back (but u might find ursef in Private Tolled road where u wd dull out some ringgit once u miss road, i call that business)

Fast internet, free wifi even in their local Mama Put restoran. There food is superb. They have more than 500 foods, and i no sure if i chop reach 50 sef. Nice Shopping malls wt good architectural designs and Chinese market where u can get ursef fake LV products and the likes tat looks Original where u fit take dey poo for Facebook hahahahaha.

Their politics there dey sweet me, them govt dey chop money oo but u can't know cos the citizen are all reaping the dividend of their manifesto. Na there road wen get expiring date u wan talk? Before u sleep wake up the next morning, u don see new road. Is it their LRT and Monorail?

For 5 yrs, dem no take light for one day. Na free newspaper u can get anywhere?? Is it the free air travel? Just pay for fuel charge and travel on a later date.

Visited Philippines, wow...nice reception. They like foreigners ehn, they don't care if u r black like back of pot. If u r a guy, u r advice to hide ur Int'l passport cos if dem girls go love u, na ur passport dem go dey find make dem flush am for toilet so u no go go again.. Na from tour guild lady wen dey work for Airport i from start from sef hahaha.

Cambodia....while abt to land, the country be like Ajegunle...woman can ask u to come disvirgin her daughter for a little token...

Singapore...that one be say the country clean die...if u throw rubbish for ground, b4 u knw, police don come issue u summon ticket and if u no pay the fine, u can leave the country.

Transit via Dubai, Doha...their buildings there ehn, u go dey ask God who design these buildings. It's just 2 out of this world.

In all sha...wen u step outta the shores of 9ja, the first thing u say is "God Punish Federal Government and the president in position as of then".

10 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:32pm On Nov 02, 2013
Hmmmm
Where did D 16yr old get the cigarrette from cos he is underage for any store to sell cigarrettes or alcohol to unlike 9ja where you can even send a 10yr old to buy u a crate of beer and rolls of cigarrettes without being querried lol,the seller will even pack it on his head as long as he can manage to leave his store and be on his own OYO.
Though children have rights,a 16yr old is underage to smoke in public especially with his sch uniform on,
lastpage:

Same with me, the Prime Minister's car was pointed out to me (and he had one other unmarked car, no siren, nothing at all, just in the traffic like everyone else!) just as it passed us and l was like, this cant be true, where are the Mopols flogging everybody? How come other could still drive on the same road simultaneously? How come he was not "afraid of his own security" like Stella Oduah and other "big men" of Nigeria?

Now, that is one rude shock that stayed with me till today!
The next one was The lack of "respect" for elders and ability of children to do whatever they like
l saw one ten year old smoking cigarette after school hours (still in school uniform) in public view and l nearly slapped some sense into him before my fella warned me not to try it otherwise, l will be a guest at Mama Charlie Prisons, very quickly!
Everyone just walked-by as if the boy was invisible! shocked )

Of recent, it is watching two young Boys (of about 16years age) kissing themselves and groping each other's private parts, the broad day light!
Gosh, l just shake my head in disbelief.
Did l hear you shout "civilization and freedom"? You are Korrect, berry-berry Korrect! grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by creativemusic: 3:54pm On Nov 02, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by whiteroses(f): 4:02pm On Nov 02, 2013
BILLS AND SCAM BUSINESSES FULL UK SUCH AS CARPHONE WAREHOUSE E-ON ETC, THEY HAVE A HABIT OF JOINING £25 CHARGE ON ANY LATE PAYMENTS FOR ANYTHING AND SHOULD YOU SKIP ONE MONTH? ITS DEBT COLLECTORS AND A BLACK MARK ON YOUR CREDIT RATINGS, OLUWA RE DI ONIGBESE NIYEN angry
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by MsNas(f): 4:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
deeptesting: Good road network and cars have to wait for pedestrians to cross the road where there is zebra crossing....i was like so motor dey wait for human beings to cross road and na so dem dey stroll dey cross...Chei i come remember Lasgidi sharply.
This!!!! When I came here, I used to run across the street too! cheesy Somebody was like "Don't run, pedestrians have the right of way"!!! But that didn't stop me from hastening my steps whenever I cross sha! Make the car no go get brake Failure grin grin
Another thing, people rarely use their car horns, unlike Nigeria where they've turned it into a Piano cheesy

3 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Olaone1: 5:55pm On Nov 02, 2013
BOUNTYDOG: Hmmmm
Where did D 16yr old get the cigarrette from cos he is underage for any store to sell cigarrettes or alcohol to unlike 9ja where you can even send a 10yr old to buy u a crate of beer and rolls of cigarrettes without being querried lol,the seller will even pack it on his head as long as he can manage to leave his store and be on his own OYO.
Though children have rights,a 16yr old is underage to smoke in public especially with his sch uniform on,
1 million-dollar question
Seeing is believing lipsrsealed
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by saintkola(m): 7:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
havilaLAGOS:

there are so many places in Nigeria esp Lagos that has zebra crossing too and the cars also wait for pedestrian to cross

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Illuminatus(m): 8:14pm On Nov 02, 2013
UK Bobo: All of the above mentioned are basics - lighting, infrastructure, good roads, planning and order. The Naija man turns these things into 'miracles' and rather than the people facing their duty and calling politicians to order. They flock to mosque and church looking for 'signs and wonders' to escape the wahala.

Question is - when those that travel reach back to Naija - how do we effect change?
The only thing I can say is, pal, you're welcome to try. You think sensitizing Nigerians is easy?
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by finestboy1: 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2013
Reading all the comments here made my day! cheesy My very first time abroad was in Manchester. I felt this breath of fresh clean air as I walked out of the Airport. Excellent Customer Service at the Banks, Efficient and Speedy Transportation Service, People looking Clean and well Fed. I wondered if it wasn't the same God that created us Nigerians grin Infact I almost wept for my People back home suffering and smiling. sad

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Validated: 9:47pm On Nov 02, 2013
josh4ever: The British COLD!

Na that day wey I know say my Naija AC na pupil grin

Guy no bi small! You need to experience it in Canada, Naija AC go be toddler na! grin

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by MrEverest(m): 10:05pm On Nov 02, 2013
havilaLAGOS:

there are so many places in Nigeria esp Lagos that has zebra crossing too and the cars also wait for pedestrian to cross
Oboy no try am for Lagos o, Lasgidi wey everybody na sadist not to talk of illiterate danfo drivers wey no fit wait make passengers go down for bus stop before they move. Hahahaha Zebra crossing in Nigeria is for road decoration.

4 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by richt75: 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2013
CCTV cameras in all corners. Roads been swept and washed by trucks. Underground train system. Well built sky scrapers. Underground parking lots. 90% of houses furnished and rent been paid monthly, you only move in with only your clothing. Police respond to calls and arrives in less than five minutes. Just to mention but few...

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by richt75: 11:46pm On Nov 02, 2013
Food stuffs is been sold in kilos (no cheating ) taxis operates with meter. Price of buses is fixed,tagged with route numbers. Name but a few peeps. I weep for my nija land.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by whiteroses(f): 11:52pm On Nov 02, 2013
richt75: Food stuffs is been sold in kilos (no cheating ) taxis operates with meter. Price of buses is fixed,tagged with route numbers. Name but a few peeps. I weep for my nija land.

if naij has population of 60milli, it would be the same. Should you weep for India too? Damasiri in India is worse than Kano, even the villagers looks like Hausa eleyin goro that enjoys travelling on top of trains! Its the way that part of the world is and will continue to be. If your country is not a western one, there will be places that will be 100 years away from civilization in the same country so before you cry read your economics. Infact, this thread is a nonsense thread, each of you wailer shows an IQ of sub-zero we know naija sucks balls dont come and form Lamentation part 2 here abegi.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Ndipe(m): 12:07am On Nov 03, 2013
chineloSA:
SA - The oversize butt that SA woman have shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Out of this world. At the same time the development that was there, didn't feel like Africa. Then again, going to their ghetto's changed the whole perception and made me have mixed feelings. How cold SA can also get shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. Apart from that everything is functioning.
Botswana - Just a replica of SA but was extremely hot that summer. Quiete small. Citizens not as friendly.
Mozambique - How dirty Maputo is and how different their Islands are. ( woooow, I enjoyed it )
Lesotho - How rural the whole country is. Goats running around in the capital city Masaru shocked shocked shocked shocked
London - How cold the place is. ( first time out of the country )

Zambia, Seychelles & Mauritius - coming soon. Africa is beautiful. wink wink wink

I wanna visit Zambia, how was it?
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Illuminatus(m): 6:28am On Nov 03, 2013
whiteroses:

if naij has population of 60milli, it would be the same. Should you weep for India too? Damasiri in India is worse than Kano, even the villagers looks like Hausa eleyin goro that enjoys travelling on top of trains! Its the way that part of the world is and will continue to be. If your country is not a western one, there will be places that will be 100 years away from civilization in the same country so before you cry read your economics. Infact, this thread is a nonsense thread, each of you wailer shows an IQ of sub-zero we know naija sucks balls dont come and form Lamentation part 2 here abegi.
I didn't complain, like some people did, too. I just shared my experience, which is the reason why the topic was created. Don't insult the knowledge of the other posters.

5 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 03, 2013
BOUNTYDOG: Hmmmm
i don't know how the dude got the exact age of d kid. But these kids sometimes loiter around corner shops and shopping centres begging you to buy cigarettes for them. They would even pay you double the price of the cigarettes for your service.

I haven't really travelled much but here is my own little experience.

In Uk , the amount of CCTV, on your street, inside the bus/train, shopping centres. it feels like one is in a big brother show.

Ghana. The speed at which everybody drives like they are formula one drivers.

Paris. Beautiful city and wonderful layout.

Next place to visit is Calgary.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by shady26(m): 8:28am On Nov 03, 2013
havilaLAGOS:

Stop it there!were are you staying?I have been nearly ran down twice trying to use the Zebra crossing close to Alausa Ikeja,yes you'll see the lines but to cross them you'll to have to first beg the coming vehicle and then run like mad at his nod.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by chineloSA(f): 12:13pm On Nov 03, 2013
Ndipe:

I wanna visit Zambia, how was it?

I've never been there, I am going end of this month, cheesy cheesy cheesy.

Will tell you. Cant wait for Victoria falls, look good on pictures.

1 Like

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by Yeecar(m): 12:38pm On Nov 03, 2013
whiteroses:

SMH4U !! Typical Naija mentality.

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by whiteroses(f): 9:24pm On Nov 03, 2013
Yeecar:

SMH4U !! Typical Naija mentality.

Na so he pain you? i was not even born in Naija my own mentality na Brirish cheesy
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by optimusprime2(m): 12:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
What shocked me, was the Number of Nigerians I saw right from Ataturk airport Istanbul, even before entering the city... Dayyyyyyyuuuuuuum esp Igbo's... for a second, Turkey felt like Lagos

2 Likes

Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by optimusprime2(m): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2013
What shocked me, was the Number of Nigerians I saw right from Ataturk airport Istanbul, even before entering the city... Dayyyyyyyuuuuuuum esp Igbo's... for a second, Turkey felt like Lagos.
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by logica(m): 1:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
bestestgirl: I found it difficult to breath, I was always gasping (I visited in November sha).
High altitude perhaps. smiley
Re: What Shocked You. When You Entered A Foreign Country by davidif: 11:48pm On Jul 30, 2014
ThoniaSlim: That it was actually possible to have light 24hours daily! grin

Boy, there was no comparison mayne. It felt like it was world's away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Thought-provoking Facts About Africa / NAMA Ibadan Airport Bans Telemundo / 50 Weird Traffic Laws From Around The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.