Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

How To Survive A Lion Attack - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Survive A Lion Attack (27637 Views)

Jos Wildlife Park Lion Killed {picture} / Little Girl Rescued From A Lion’s Mouth / Caption This Picture Of A Lion And Bulls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2013
Should you ever happen to be in the path of a lion while out on a walking safari in Africa (or any safari park) or due to the sheer bad luck of falling into the lion enclosure at your local zoo, then you'll need to know what to do. Like most information of this sort, it's better read now and tucked away for future reference, in the off chance you might actually need to draw on it when it matters most.

Steps

Tips and Warnings

See if the lion is not interested at all. In fact, most lions will choose to run when confronted by a human, especially if you show any signs of being scrawny, as they prefer to avoid confrontation with non-typical prey species. However, the desire to run away can't be said of all lions, especially those that feel cornered, are starving or feel that their territory or cubs are threatened.

1.Above all, do not run. Running around any animal that hunts for a living will incite its prey chasing mechanism faster than you can blink. It will be difficult but hold your ground and breathe steadily.

2. Tell yourself over and over, "I will not run, I will not bolt, for if I do, the lion will too."

Talk in a calm and firm voice to the lion. You can tell it anything you like really, provided it's calm and firm. After all, lions don't know a single human language, so it's all down to body and facial signals and a steady voice.

3. Try to make yourself appear larger than you really are. Lions are fairly lazy on the whole and if you look like a challenge, the chances are that the lion will treat you as such and be less inclined to attack. Things that might help increase your physical size appearance include:

4. Raising your hands above your head and keeping them there.

Pitching your jacket between your raised hands to look like a sail, and hopefully a bigger you.

Widening your stance gently and not so much as to overbalance.

Don't spend too long attempting this; it probably won't work that well.

Retreat very slowly backwards, continuing to face the lion. As you walk backwards, maintain eye contact. Never turn your back; this just makes it really easy for the lion to see a clear leaping space without eye contact to disarm him.

5. Clap, shout, and wave your arms. This isn't normal prey behavior, so this will confuse it, and give the lion the illusion that you are one noisy nuisance that needs to be avoided. Unfortunately, this conflicts with the next piece of advice, which is to avoid making sudden movements. So you'll need to clap and shout without being too effusive in the process.

6. Ready yourself for an attack. Most of the time a first and possibly even later charges are only a warning, but not always. Listen for a deep growling roar just prior to a charge. This means that you need to be prepared to do whatever you can to fight off the lion.

7. If a lion does charge you, then hold your ground, remain standing and do not bolt. Instead, clap your hands, wave your arms (no need to worry about sudden moves anymore, it's defend yourself time) and make noise like shouting.

If need be, fight back with whatever you have to hand, such as sticks, rocks, your backpack, your belt, your safari pack, your binoculars, whatever. Throw as hard as you can and aim for the face, the eyes and anywhere else likely to cause pain.

Lions will go for your throat; by staying standing and fighting back (punching, kicking, hitting with objects, etc.), you may survive––there are accounts of people having done so this way.

Only run if there is enough space between you, the lion and safety. Judging that is contextual.

Tips

Lions are powerful, beautiful animals. Take all necessary precautions to stay out of their way and let them live as nature intended. Especially as a tourist or visitor to Africa, don't do stupid things like walking alone or unaided in lion country, and going where you haven't a clue what's going on.

⁠Obey all the rules in safari parks. The rules are there to protect you; disobey them at your own risk.

-Wiki
http://m.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Lion-Attack

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/07/04/outdoors/california-man-survives-mountain-lion-attack/

PS:
The first thing to know about surviving a lion attack is to not run.

It should not surprise you that a lion is way faster than you, but in case you need numbers:
the fastest human to ever live, Usain Bolt, can run 27.79 miles per hour. A lion can run 50 miles per hour. So stand still. As one Quora answerer put it, “If you run, you’ll only die tired.”

While you’re standing still, the next thing to do is figure out what the lion wants.

Lions that are feeling threatened will swish their tails back and forth, much like your cat does.

Lions that are hunting try to stay as still as possible, holding their tails rigid.

If a lion is hunting you, this is very bad for you.

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/07/how-to-survive-a-lion-attack/

PS:
Whatever you do,
do not crouch/kneel/squat/RUN. You will only look more like an antelope hahaha..
Do not, I repeat, do not dare a lion. Retreat slowly rather than pose for an attack.
Lions climb trees. They are not referred to as the best hunters for nothing!

14 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Waspy(m): 8:18pm On Nov 03, 2013
Nice one Op...Comes in handy for Nightmares

47 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by OluwaKoopa(m): 8:39pm On Nov 03, 2013
Incrizz: "or due to the sheer bad luck of falling into the lion enclosure at your local zoo"

Lol grin

Lion: "Bless this food, oh lord......"

13 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 03, 2013
Thanks op! I hope our lions won't turned to wicked ones one day as they are not now(Yankari)
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Nobody: 10:22pm On Nov 03, 2013
Lion - "Lord, bless the food"
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by pimplucious: 10:29pm On Nov 03, 2013
Nice one, Op. But I kind of felt a bit awkward reading this piece. I actually pictured myself in front of a live lion carrying out the instructions and it charged at me. Scary.

instinctively na to run if I see lion o. I no be Samson. Hopefully I will remember doing all that u instructed while runing.

13 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 03, 2013
FP tinx abeg
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Vivly(f): 11:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
There are only 34 lions in Nigeria.
What is the possibility that I'll meet one.

9 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Emmyk(m): 11:25pm On Nov 03, 2013
I was picturing myself in front of a lion... tho the tips are cool, the shouting part, I had a problem there,.

While I was shouting mightily all names in Yoruba, the lion looked at me,

He chuckled and said,

"Bro, wont you just stfu and give that hole in your face a chance to heal See me see wahala ooo, I have not even taken bite fa!

Why are your two hands up?? Obawayray! I look like your class teacher" cheesycheesy

13 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Dannylux: 12:03am On Nov 04, 2013
God forbid!!!

The kind sweat wey go enter your nyash no go gree you remember these rules.
Running would be your automatic reflex reaction!!
grin

5 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Tolexander: 5:21am On Nov 04, 2013
Lion of Judea is my refuge when lion comes my way!

4 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by AbuMikey(m): 9:07am On Nov 04, 2013

I nor be Samson!!

If I see a Lion, I would just "Ben Johnson"!!

#Shikena.

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by 190: 9:55am On Nov 04, 2013
lwkmd

So Nigerians like their lives like this

ROTFL!!

See as them dey fear small and common lion
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by AbuMikey(m): 10:03am On Nov 04, 2013
190: lwkmd

So Nigerians like their lives like this

ROTFL!!

See as them dey fear small and common lion

Uncle Nwakego Gbadamosi , if you see Lion,nor run na angry

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by henryvirus(m): 10:18am On Nov 04, 2013
Simple Roar lyk Katie Perry.
But on a more crios note gud work op,av bin enlightened.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:32am On Nov 04, 2013
Your post made me laugh hard..lol
pimp_lucious :
I actually pictured myself in front of a live lion carrying out the instructions and it charged at me. Scary
2. Tell yourself over and over, "I will not run, I will not bolt, for if I do, the lion will too."

pimp_lucious :
Hopefully I will remember doing all that u instructed while runing.
1.Above all, do not run. Running around any animal that hunts for a living will incite its prey chasing mechanism faster than you can blink.

(*Face'sFlushed* Crush's here shocked)
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Nobody: 11:19am On Nov 04, 2013
op,Ain't nobody haff time to b dancing nd clapping when the lion Don already charge angry angry

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 12:21pm On Nov 04, 2013
In the latest incident, the man laid out his sleeping bag at around 10 p.m. Saturday, Foy said. The location was northwest of Nevada City along a tributary of the Yuba River.

Foy would not reveal the exact location, saying the department does not want people drawn to the area because wardens are still tracking the mountain lion and are wary of disturbing the animal’s trail.

The man had driven to the Nevada City area that evening to start his hike. He knew the area, Foy said, having made similar trips before. He did not use a tent, and wore a stocking cap on his head to stay warm.

Around 1 a.m. Sunday, Foy said, the man awoke to the sensation of something pressing on his head, and moved an arm to protect himself.

“He felt very much what felt like a big heavy paw on his head,” Foy said. “When he reacted to that, instantly the animal just ferociously attacked him. He didn’t necessarily fight back, but he did say he did his best to protect his head.”

The attack lasted less than 2 minutes, Foy said, and then the lion backed off.

From a distance of about 15 yards, the lion simply looked at the man for about 30 seconds and disappeared into the night.

“The animal just ceased the attack,” Foy said.

The man drove himself to a hospital in Grass Valley, where he was treated and released for cuts and bites on his head and left arm.

Game wardens interviewed him at the hospital and collected evidence, including the sleeping bag and the man’s knit cap, which had puncture marks in it.

They also visited the scene with tracking dogs, where they found mountain lion tracks. Not far away, they found a dead domestic cat, which later proved to have been killed and partially eaten by a mountain lion, Foy said.

In January 2007, 70-year-old Jim Hamm was jumped by a mountain lion while hiking at Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park in Humboldt County. He did what experts recommend in the event of a mountain lion attack:

He fought back as hard as he could, with help from his wife, who was just a few paces ahead.

Hamm survived, although with gruesome scars to show for it.

Mountain lions don’t normally look at people as food, said Tim Dunbar, executive director of the Sacramento-based Mountain Lion Foundation. When they do attack people, they usually attack from behind after mistaking the person for their typical prey, such as deer.

One well-known example is the 1994 case of Barbara Schoener, a distance runner who was jumped from behind by a cougar and killed while running on a trail at Auburn State Recreation Area.

It is possible the cougar in Sunday’s attack was either sick or simply a curious young animal investigating a strange new object in its territory.

Dunbar leans toward the latter theory.

“To have a story where a lion is waking somebody up because it’s putting its paw on the person’s head — that just sounds strange,” Dunbar said. “It’s not an action of an animal — especially a lion — attacking a food source.”

Fish and Game wardens were still attempting to track the mountain lion Monday. If found, it would be killed, Foy said, following state policy to kill cougars that attack people.

Dunbar has mixed feelings about that. He noted the incident is similar to one that occurred several years ago in which a mountain lion attacked a camouflaged hunter in bushes who was making turkey calls. The lion evidently thought it was attacking a turkey, and the state did not record the incident as an attack on a human, nor did it pursue the lion.

“If the lion had continued to show aggressive behavior toward the human, they would have to remove that lion,” Dunbar said. “But in this case, it’s almost like that isn’t quite what occurred. It really sounds like something that bit off more than it could chew, and really got scared of the human and ran off.”
-Bangordailynews
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 12:24pm On Nov 04, 2013
On the flip side, this woman didn't even get a chance to clap or dance..lol

Heading off on the African holiday she always wanted, Tina didn't expect to get this close to nature.

The doctor had been adamant. No bungee jumping, no skydiving, no scuba-diving... He'd given me a list of things I couldn't do on holiday - but he hadn't said anything about white-water rafting. Although I was five months pregnant, I wasn't about to lose my sense of adventure.

We'd been looking forward to our exotic adventure for ages, when, three months before we left, I discovered I was pregnant.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. We were thrilled but we decided not to cancel our dream trip. I knew there would be a few things I couldn't do, but if I was careful, what could go wrong? So with my 21-week bump proudly showing, we arrived in Africa. Our holiday was now a babymoon - a final holiday for the two of us before I gave birth - and I was going to make sure I enjoyed every minute.

'What about a bushwalk?' Jarrod suggested. The plan was to get up close to the local wildlife and perhaps even meet some tame lion cubs in a private game reserve.

There were about 12 of us on the hike. When we got to the game reserve the guides lined us up in a semicircle to introduce us to the animals.

I couldn't believe it when three 17-month-old lions, standing at around waist height, appeared and starting weaving between us. Each lion had a handler who carried a stick and a gun, just in case, and a bag of treats as a reward for good behaviour.

What a beautiful creatures, I thought as a lioness walked towards me, her caramel-coloured coat gleaming in the sunlight.

Then suddenly she flung her paws around my right leg and started clawing me! Her giant jaws clamped around my calf and she pulled me towards her. I lost my balance and fell.

Immediately, the guides began hitting her with sticks to get her off. Although they succeeded, it was too late.

'I've been bitten,' I cried as the guides quickly ushered the rest of the lions away.

I was confused when I looked down at my leg. My tracksuit bottoms weren't torn and there was no blood. Perhaps I wasn't injured. Then Jarrod was by my side. He pulled up my trouser leg and something pale and meaty fell out. A lump of chicken? I wondered. The lioness must have been eating it when she attacked me.

Then it hit me. That piece of chicken was actually a chunk of my right calf! And it was about the size of my hand.

I stifled a scream as Jarrod tried to keep me calm. A few minutes later a truck pulled up and I was loaded into the back.

'Take this,' one of the guides said to Jarrod, handing him something wrapped in cloth. 'The doctors might be able to reattach it.' Somewhere in the back of my mind it dawned on me that Jarrod was holding a piece of my leg.

The journey to Victoria Falls Hospital passed in a blur but half an hour later, we arrived and I was given a local anaesthetic in my leg and some antibiotics to fight off any infections.

Doctors rinsed my leg and put a gauze pad over the wound.

'The wound is too big to stitch,' they told me. 'You'll need to go to Johannesburg for a skin graft.'

I don't think I had any idea how bad the wound was. I hadn't seen it. But poor Jarrod had, and he made the decision that we were returning to Australia.

The next few days passed in a haze. I must have been in shock and all I could think about was my unborn baby. Would he or she be okay? I desperately hoped so.

I was flown to Johannesburg and spent the next three days at Sunwood Hospital, where doctors gave me another anaesthetic and scraped the dead tissue out of my wound.

After the operation, Jarrod and I flew back to Melbourne, where I was immediately taken to Box Hill Hospital.

'You're going to need more surgery,' the doctors warned.

But what about my baby? Surely all the drugs I'd been given weren't good for it?

The doctor was grave. 'If we don't operate the wound could get infected and you could lose your leg or worse,' he said. 'But if we do operate you could lose your baby or go into early labour.'

I started shaking. My dream holiday had turned into a nightmare. I knew if the wound became infected my baby's life would be in danger too. It was a horrible decision, but eventually I agreed to have the operation.

The next day, in a two and a half hour operation, surgeons peeled the top layers of skin from my upper thigh and used them to fill the hole in my right calf.

When I came round my first thought was for my baby. I was relieved learn he or she was okay.

It wasn't until a week and a half after my surgery that I finally plucked up the courage to look at my wound.

The patch of skin was red and lumpy and there was a huge dent underneath. Not exactly pretty. But I was just thankful that both my baby and I were still alive.

Back at home, we were contacted by a representative from the park that ran the bushwalk, and he apologised for what had happened. We were told that the lioness involved was no longer allowed to take part in the tour, and had been moved to another enclosure for breeding. I was relieved.

I was finally released from hospital two weeks later, and four months on, I gave birth to my daughter Georgina, weighing 3.3 kilos.

I've been left with a huge scar on my leg but I know it could have been so much worse.

When Georgina is old enough I'll tell her all about the day Mummy was almost eaten by a lion.
-thatslife

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by everyday: 4:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
I do not pray to meet a lion
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by RockMaxi: 4:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
Surprised..
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
You've got to be kidding me.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Okijajuju1(m): 4:03pm On Nov 04, 2013
UNLESS YOU ARE BEING PURSUED BY SNOOP LION

Nna run....

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by gidzbobby: 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
we all are here talking lion.... ordinary Maloo(cow), we dey run.... Nansense angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by adora4u1: 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
All dis should be going through my head with a lion in my face?! No way! I'm taking off!
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by tbagjames(m): 4:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
forget about these theoritical tips. Only God can save u from a lion's attack but if u want to save yourself,the best tip is to run as if your want to break Usain Bolt's record

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:07pm On Nov 04, 2013
Layon, I mean Lion attack.
Most people won't be composed to remember any of the listed tips except running away. So, tip no 8: Compose yourself.
Last Bullet: The ultimate tip, run for your life.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by kingarizona(m): 4:07pm On Nov 04, 2013
hmm... I'm off to the ZOO, make I go try am

@ op,but no vex o, what of if pesin con jam 2 Lions nkor, wetin e go do? undecidedundecidedundecided

6 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by imperiouxx(m): 4:08pm On Nov 04, 2013
It seems this is the new thing on frontpage nowadays.

All I need to see next on front page is

[size=20pt]"How to survive Zombie and Dracula's attack"[/size]

angry angry angry
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by heed101(m): 4:08pm On Nov 04, 2013
read my signature and you will knw dat dis aiint going 2 work

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by sapguy: 4:10pm On Nov 04, 2013
Nice One!!!
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Goldenheart(m): 4:10pm On Nov 04, 2013
I bet you won't even remember a single line of this post when you come across a real lion.... grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Appliances From The Past. / Benin Boy Constructs A Caterpillar (Video, Pictures) / Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.