Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

How To Survive A Lion Attack - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Survive A Lion Attack (27636 Views)

Jos Wildlife Park Lion Killed {picture} / Little Girl Rescued From A Lion’s Mouth / Caption This Picture Of A Lion And Bulls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Fulaman198(m): 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
cacius: is not a matter of self deceit I don't have to be oyibo to do what I want to do. That's the problem with the black man mentality always afraid to explore their environment. I am an adrenaline junkie and I do things to satisfy self not anybody. I guess u will never try bungee jump or even sky diving. I love vacations and when I do I let lose myself like a child and enjoy the moment because I work hard and I play hard also. Try something unusual it might help get u outa ur shell.

:-) well, you may say that but often the end results are bad. There was a fellow from California, United States who decided to prove that bears were not dangerous. He even took his girlfriend with him during this documentary. After some time, they were both devoured by bears. Lions are no joke, nor is any big cat. Whether it is Lion, Tiger, Leopard, Mountain lion (Cougar), they will all kill and eat a human being, if opportunity presents itself
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Hbuyosh(m): 10:01pm On Nov 04, 2013
Fulaman198:

:-) well, you may say that but often the end results are bad. There was a fellow from California, United States who decided to prove that bears were not dangerous. He even took his girlfriend with him during this documentary. After some time, they were both devoured by bears. Lions are no joke, nor is any big cat. Whether it is Lion, Tiger, Leopard, Mountain lion (Cougar), they will all kill and eat a human being, if opportunity presents itself
Exactly what i wanted to say. Those animals are unpredictable. They only like u cos, well u feed.
I realy doubt if my dog and cat love me for me or for my food.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by cacius: 10:01pm On Nov 04, 2013
Here are some of the pics.

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:02pm On Nov 04, 2013
Hbuyosh::
Dude, let's talk about the lions livin in the wild, not the tamed ones. Would ya dare that with them?
Do not, I repeat, do not dare a lion. Retreat slowly rather than posing for an attack.
Hm!

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by cacius: 10:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
Oh sorry wrong pic. I am not use to up loading pics here but I will try.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Fulaman198(m): 10:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
Hbuyosh:
Exactly what i wanted to say. Those animals are unpredictable. They only like u cos, well u feed.
I realy doubt if my dog and cat love me for me or for my food.

There have been so many reported Leopard and Cougar attacks on humans, tigers as well. What makes some people think that lions are any different. I agree with you my friend.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
Joshthefirst: If anyone tually encounters a lion for real, he should attack it screaming and clapping. It might scare it(the certainty of this point is not verified grin)

If you see a tall tree with mostly aerial branches, bolt and climb the tree if you're a good climber. Lions don't climb trees much. Leopards do though.

Do not, I repeat, do not dare a lion. Retreat slowly rather than posing for an attack.
Lions climb trees. They are not referred to as the best hunters for nothing.
Hm!
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by cacius: 10:10pm On Nov 04, 2013
I am going to post just this two here. Don't want to be all over the internet by posting to much.

3 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Amaobi07(m): 10:11pm On Nov 04, 2013
Incrizz: 5. Clap, shout, and wave your arms. This isn't normal prey behavior, so this will confuse it, and give the lion the illusion that you are one noisy nuisance that needs to be avoided. Unfortunately, this conflicts with the next piece of advice, which is to avoid making sudden movements. So you'll need to clap and shout without being too effusive in the process.

Lmao. grin grin
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by optimusprime2(m): 10:15pm On Nov 04, 2013
sucess001:

You are wrong sir. if you see a lion and run, it is 99% sure he ll kill you. cos he is faster than the fastest human.

like the op said...you should maintain your stand. since a human is taller than a lion, he ll struggle to get to your neck-the spot they always target. lions know the easiest way to kill is to 'go for the jugular' and block the windpipes.

if you dont run, the possibility is that they wont attack.

its important you kip these in mind.

altho i dont agree with the clapping thin.

i wuld even suggest that you run at the lion if you are sure if wants to attack. not fly run at it but run at it like you want to attack it. most lions would run when they see an animal bold enuf to attack it.
After trying this stunt on my Neighbours Rottweiler some minutes ago, and I barely came back with my Jeans intact...
I will not! "I repeat"
I WILL NOT! try it with a Leo @ alllllllllllllll
if common dog wan kee me because I no run, then I go try that rubbish with Lion abi?
OP you try...
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by cacius: 10:15pm On Nov 04, 2013
This is more visible.

2 Likes

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Ninilowo(m): 10:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
Sorry...... ........go U.I zoo go ask how far. That prophet elijah jaahh.....no be shout im shout before the felis grip am?
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Hbuyosh(m): 10:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
Incrizz:
Hm!
Like i said, if it is one, just remain cool and don't show it your back, ie as you try to run. Animal experts suggest that to them, that is a sign of weakness. Just step away backwards.
But if they are more than one, well, it'll take divine intervention to save u.
@joshthefirst
Your punches, to a lion feels kinda like a three year old kid smacking you on the face. I heard that on natgeowild...
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by chiefololade: 10:21pm On Nov 04, 2013
Incrizz: On the flip side, this woman didn't even get a chance to clap or dance..lol

Heading off on the African holiday she always wanted, Tina didn't expect to get this close to nature.

The doctor had been adamant. No bungee jumping, no skydiving, no scuba-diving... He'd given me a list of things I couldn't do on holiday - but he hadn't said anything about white-water rafting. Although I was five months pregnant, I wasn't about to lose my sense of adventure.

We'd been looking forward to our exotic adventure for ages, when, three months before we left, I discovered I was pregnant.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. We were thrilled but we decided not to cancel our dream trip. I knew there would be a few things I couldn't do, but if I was careful, what could go wrong? So with my 21-week bump proudly showing, we arrived in Africa. Our holiday was now a babymoon - a final holiday for the two of us before I gave birth - and I was going to make sure I enjoyed every minute.

'What about a bushwalk?' Jarrod suggested. The plan was to get up close to the local wildlife and perhaps even meet some tame lion cubs in a private game reserve.

There were about 12 of us on the hike. When we got to the game reserve the guides lined us up in a semicircle to introduce us to the animals.

I couldn't believe it when three 17-month-old lions, standing at around waist height, appeared and starting weaving between us. Each lion had a handler who carried a stick and a gun, just in case, and a bag of treats as a reward for good behaviour.

What a beautiful creatures, I thought as a lioness walked towards me, her caramel-coloured coat gleaming in the sunlight.

Then suddenly she flung her paws around my right leg and started clawing me! Her giant jaws clamped around my calf and she pulled me towards her. I lost my balance and fell.

Immediately, the guides began hitting her with sticks to get her off. Although they succeeded, it was too late.

'I've been bitten,' I cried as the guides quickly ushered the rest of the lions away.

I was confused when I looked down at my leg. My tracksuit bottoms weren't torn and there was no blood. Perhaps I wasn't injured. Then Jarrod was by my side. He pulled up my trouser leg and something pale and meaty fell out. A lump of chicken? I wondered. The lioness must have been eating it when she attacked me.

Then it hit me. That piece of chicken was actually a chunk of my right calf! And it was about the size of my hand.

I stifled a scream as Jarrod tried to keep me calm. A few minutes later a truck pulled up and I was loaded into the back.

'Take this,' one of the guides said to Jarrod, handing him something wrapped in cloth. 'The doctors might be able to reattach it.' Somewhere in the back of my mind it dawned on me that Jarrod was holding a piece of my leg.

The journey to Victoria Falls Hospital passed in a blur but half an hour later, we arrived and I was given a local anaesthetic in my leg and some antibiotics to fight off any infections.

Doctors rinsed my leg and put a gauze pad over the wound.

'The wound is too big to stitch,' they told me. 'You'll need to go to Johannesburg for a skin graft.'

I don't think I had any idea how bad the wound was. I hadn't seen it. But poor Jarrod had, and he made the decision that we were returning to Australia.

The next few days passed in a haze. I must have been in shock and all I could think about was my unborn baby. Would he or she be okay? I desperately hoped so.

I was flown to Johannesburg and spent the next three days at Sunwood Hospital, where doctors gave me another anaesthetic and scraped the dead tissue out of my wound.

After the operation, Jarrod and I flew back to Melbourne, where I was immediately taken to Box Hill Hospital.

'You're going to need more surgery,' the doctors warned.

But what about my baby? Surely all the drugs I'd been given weren't good for it?

The doctor was grave. 'If we don't operate the wound could get infected and you could lose your leg or worse,' he said. 'But if we do operate you could lose your baby or go into early labour.'

I started shaking. My dream holiday had turned into a nightmare. I knew if the wound became infected my baby's life would be in danger too. It was a horrible decision, but eventually I agreed to have the operation.

The next day, in a two and a half hour operation, surgeons peeled the top layers of skin from my upper thigh and used them to fill the hole in my right calf.

When I came round my first thought was for my baby. I was relieved learn he or she was okay.

It wasn't until a week and a half after my surgery that I finally plucked up the courage to look at my wound.

The patch of skin was red and lumpy and there was a huge dent underneath. Not exactly pretty. But I was just thankful that both my baby and I were still alive.

Back at home, we were contacted by a representative from the park that ran the bushwalk, and he apologised for what had happened. We were told that the lioness involved was no longer allowed to take part in the tour, and had been moved to another enclosure for breeding. I was relieved.

I was finally released from hospital two weeks later, and four months on, I gave birth to my daughter Georgina, weighing 3.3 kilos.

I've been left with a huge scar on my leg but I know it could have been so much worse.

When Georgina is old enough I'll tell her all about the day Mummy was almost eaten by a lion.
-thatslife
summary please
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:22pm On Nov 04, 2013
cacius: I am going to post just this two here. Don't want to be all over the internet by posting to much.
Awww..o ma gosh..this is so touching..*tears*
I want to do that too.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:25pm On Nov 04, 2013
cacius: This is more visible.
Aww..this is so nice. Thanks for sharing.
I wish I could snap a pix of my face for you, I am grinning from ear to ear..lol
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Fawklicant: 10:26pm On Nov 04, 2013
cacius: I am going to post just this two here. Don't want to be all over the internet by posting to much.

Wetin this one dey feel like now? You are in a cage with cubs and you dey claim? Didnt you see the grown a.s.s. lions' cage to enter and let us know how far? What you did is comparable to playing with a rotweiller puppy. Try it with an adult rot and see.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Hbuyosh(m): 10:28pm On Nov 04, 2013
Incrizz:

Lions climb trees. They are not referred to as the best hunters for nothing.
Hm!
Like i said, if it is one, just remain cool and don't show it your back, ie as you try to run. Animal experts suggest that to them, that is a sign of weakness. Just step away backwards.
But if they are more than one, well, it'll take divine intervention to save u.
@joshthefirst
Your punches, to a lion feels kinda like a three year old kid smacking you on the face. I heard that on natgeowild...
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:31pm On Nov 04, 2013
optimus-prime1:

After trying this stunt on my Neighbours Rottweiler some minutes ago, and I barely came back with my Jeans intact...
I will not! "I repeat"
I WILL NOT! try it with a Leo @ alllllllllllllll
if common dog wan kee me because I no run, then I go try that rubbish with Lion abi?
OP you try...
But dogs arnt lions..come on. Do not, I repeat, do not try this on your neighbour's dog hahahaha..
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:33pm On Nov 04, 2013
chiefololade:
summary please
Lol..sowie.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by stdammis(m): 10:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
Okay....so the thing is, while you are maintaining your stand just like d op has said....just say some silent prayers(forgiveness)......no allow d lion hear am o, you might provoke am and that might b the catalyst............if you have ever seen a matured lion (not talking about the cubs in local zoos) then you will know that for you to survive a lion's attack? You'll b needing sumfin out of the ordinary....ask d zebras
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Incrizz(f): 10:45pm On Nov 04, 2013
st.dammis:
You'll b needing sumfin out of the ordinary....ask d zebras
Hahahahahahahaha..
That is why you must not do anything that would make you look like Zebra steak lol..
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by cacius: 10:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
Fawklicant:

Wetin this one dey feel like now? You are in a cage with cubs and you dey claim? Didnt you see the grown a.s.s. lions' cage to enter and let us know how far? What you did is comparable to playing with a rotweiller puppy. Try it with an adult rot and see.
I am very sure you don't know the difference between a cub and a matured lioness. It's because of people like I posted the picture of a cub along side that of the lioness.

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Hbuyosh(m): 10:47pm On Nov 04, 2013
chiefololade:
summary please
He he he. I think he copy pasted that. Typing that whole story man.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by MOORCHMOORE(m): 12:50am On Nov 05, 2013
Yeah nice thread, I tried it last time and you won't believe it. The lion started laughing at me. Lol
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by InvertedHammer: 1:13am On Nov 05, 2013
//

OP:

Do you have a demonstration video?

//
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by guiddoti: 2:08am On Nov 05, 2013
I'ii have a copy of op outline and standing before the lion to practise every points. grin
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by whatofyou: 3:37am On Nov 05, 2013
I dey feel the guy wey open this thread. Another safety tip- speak all the languages you can think of, even the lion's language! That is, roar as loud as fear of danger would let you. And be serious about it. I dey laugh.
Note: These steps are to be taken if there is only one lion. If there are many lions, become Daniel in the lions' den.
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Hbuyosh(m): 4:50am On Nov 05, 2013
Check out this tv ad from Kenyan, it shows the best chance 4u to survive lion attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YqYb2UEHU8&gl=KE&hl=en-GB&guid=&client=mv-google
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by Mustay(m): 6:13am On Nov 05, 2013
cacius: I am very sure you don't know the difference between a cub and a matured lioness. It's because of people like I posted the picture of a cub along side that of the lioness.

Sometimes, don't honor some posts with 'Quotes' if you know what I mean. Interesting responses here. NatGeoWild is one of my fav stations - someone has told me the best way out is to hold the lion by its throat since that's their 'gun' but how easy is it to do that realistically Some of the OPs point especially that of standing firm makes sense but most times, the fear overwhelms our reasoning - it's survival instincts in whatever way we can think of.

I recently saw a documentary of a girl that survived the attack because her friends were drawing her lower body from the lion but the girl's face was battered severely! It took reconstructive surgeries to ameliorate the disfiguring.

Similarly, like the OP said, I watched one where the monkey charged back at the lion, the lion scampered for safety but later on, the colleagues came back as they couldn't imagine such disgrace to their kingdom cheesy

In summary, animals are simply unpredictable, they can never behave rationally like humans despite exhibiting good behaviors at times. Pray that whatever means you use, you're favored by The Creator cool
Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by komek(m): 7:31am On Nov 05, 2013
Hbuyosh:
You can't outrun a lion. Get real.

Yes, u can't out run a Lion, buh standing there and applying those tips, is still not an option at all. Run first .

1 Like

Re: How To Survive A Lion Attack by komek(m): 7:48am On Nov 05, 2013
Of a truth, why wud one go for a Lion in the cage or even go close to a Lion's Habitat, wetin u dey look for? Can't one watch these Lions from afar incase u are in a Zoo. Must u touch them.

I remembered the very first time I saw a Hyena in a Zoo in the North, till date I still have the size of its eyes in my brain. The looks alone made me to stop going close to its cage.

Moral lesson, stop going to countries where Lions exist in there forest. They are other places where u can go for ur sight seeing. Let's stop playing with wild animals.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Appliances From The Past. / Benin Boy Constructs A Caterpillar (Video, Pictures) / Amazing Halos Of The Sun Captured By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.