Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,077 members, 7,849,368 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 07:45 PM

Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? (36654 Views)

Is Purgatory In The Bible? / Is There Anything Like Sinful Haircut? / Catholic Purgatory: An Absolute Insult To Jesus Christ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 05, 2013
No offence please,,but as regarding Paul's word, read 2 peter 3:16 there are some difficult things in his letter which unstable people explain falsely
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 11:03pm On Nov 05, 2013
JMAN05:

1 John 5:16 is the unforgiveable sin. sinning against the holy spirit.

The person who didnt ask for forgiveness. assuming he doesnt make practice of it, God will weigh his heart condition, it is now left for God either to accept Him or not. Remember the salvation is not strictly by works, but by grace. If by works, no one will be saved.

You see that you're not sure of what should happen to such a person. You are guessing.

Meanwhile, when people that are sure tell you that such a person should go to purgatory to be purged of the uncleanness, you'll start arguing as if you know.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 11:04pm On Nov 05, 2013
italo:
You mean some people heading for heaven will suffer loss after this life?

If yes, it is that state of "suffering loss" that we Catholics call purgatory. No one suffers loss in heaven...and no is saved in hell.
brother, if everyman does not pass through your 'assumed purgatory', then that passage is definitely not talking about purgatory! Because everyone does pass through that place.
See verse 13 of that chapter.

italo:
Matt. 12:32 clearly implies that there are sins that will be forgiven in the world to come.

I dont know why you are fighting me over words that aren't mine but the Lord's.
brother, I'm not fighting you over the Lord's words. Im only implying the sister statements of what you also implied from the Lord's statement.

If it clearly implies that, it also clearly implies these...
1. There are some other sins that wont be forgiven in this world (all sins are not forgiven in this world)
2. There are some other sins that will not also be forgiven in the world to come. (all sins are not forgiven in the world to come)

....and if these inferences are correct, which sin exactly did Christ pay for?
A general inference can even be drawn based on the ones above that 'Christ did not even pay for all sins'
are all these correct and clear implications too?

italo:
If you're not in a position to give a more guided study than mine, what then are you doing trying to give a more guided study on the same 1 Cor 3:15 above?

Or perhaps you wont because you haven't found Enigma to teach you how to twist the verse.
thats a 'literal' translation and not a guided study as you have written above.....and oh! You remember Enigma....perhaps, you have missed his posts. You know he'll not waste time with you as im doing. wink
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 05, 2013
@mavister
u ar makin dis discussiom a one-way thing.....we are still on a topic,but u dont wnt others to have their say
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Nov 05, 2013
If I am right, why mavister refutes the teaching is because he tinks "this will cause people to have a wrong mindset,,nd do evil tinkin dey will end up nd pay in purgatory".
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:17pm On Nov 05, 2013
Thanks very much 4 the answer, are you of the opinion that every believer who died was sinless?
Kei144:

My dear Ubenedictus, I am not yet sinless. But I know that we are the generation of followers of Christ who will attain perfection (sinlessness) in the land of the living. God is about to do a quick short work that will last for 1260 days; that is during the first half of the end-time tribulations. During this period, Jesus will open the seals of Revelation 6. Opening of those seals will release tremendous spiritual knowledge that Christians never knew before. The new knowledge will lead to full redemption in Christ. The people who get full redemption will ascend to heaven from the land of the living (rapture).

Re. 5:9 And they sang a new song: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.
Re. 5:10 You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.”

The 1260 days of God's quick short work starts in April 2014.

https://www.nairaland.com/1447777/apocalyptic-end-time-begins-2014
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 11:20pm On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

This is sufficient!

Your question was:
Concerning the bold, if you are still punished (temporarily) on earth (and even after death) after you've been forgiven, then what exactly is forgiveness?

That shows you what exactly (God's) forgiveness is.
Thats not sufficient.
Reason: Christ hasnt died then

as for the David's story,
clearly, you dont know why he was punished.
Certainly not cos of what he was forgiven for but the promise God made to punish Him...notice that the prophet said He was being (or going to be) punished cos his deed caused the enemies of God to blasphame against Him.
I'll recommend a re-study on that.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 11:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

You see that you're not sure of what should happen to such a person. You are not guessing.

Meanwhile, when people that are sure tell you that such a person should go to purgatory to be purged of the uncleanness, you'll start arguing as if you know.

It is God who knows the heart, that is why I said that. The bible also supports salvation by grace, not so? I have not seen you prove from the bible against this. all I see is what you think you know without prove. Another person can as well come and say they will reincarnate, another can say they go to an underworld. So minus bible, why do you think that you are the only one with another unscriptural suggestion?

Prove purgatory, you cant. It is tradition.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 11:39pm On Nov 05, 2013
adsonstone:
Thats not sufficient.
Reason: Christ hasnt died then

as for the David's story,
clearly, you dont know why he was punished.
Certainly not cos of what he was forgiven for but the promise God made to punish Him...notice that the prophet said He was being (or going to be) punished cos his deed caused the enemies of God to blasphame against Him.
I'll recommend a re-study on that.

Clear road!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by adsonstone: 11:43pm On Nov 05, 2013
italo:

Clear road!

I don 'clear road'

shey you don dey see road? undecided
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by italo: 11:44pm On Nov 05, 2013
JMAN05:

It is God who knows the heart, that is why I said that. The bible also supports salvation by grace, not so? I have not seen you prove from the bible against this. all I see is what you think you know without prove. Another person can as well come and say they will reincarnate, another can say they go to an underworld. So minus bible, why do you think that you are the only one with another unscriptural suggestion?

I have shown you that Matt 12:32 clearly implies that some sins will be forgiven after death.

I have shown you that there is a state/place where people suffer loss yet are saved as through fire.

The Bible says no impurity will enter heaven.

Chukwudi has shown you that purgatory was referred to as prison.

What other proof do you want?

Video footage?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by freeradical(m): 11:48pm On Nov 05, 2013
mavister: The Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches false doctrine of "transubstantiation".The Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches are bitterly divided to this very day over the Eucharist, both claiming their own "church tradition" is the correct one. Transubstantiation is a close cousin to Gnostic theology because both false doctrines claim that "things are not what they appear".
Not even John Paul II can make right, a baptism that is wrong according to the Bible!
Catholic Baptism is not Bible baptism!
The following list give a summation of what we have been trying to emphasize. If the Bible is a Catholic book, and if the bible was compiled by the catholics just as they said :
*.1. Why does it condemn clerical dress? (Matt. 23:5-6).
*.2. Why does it teach against the adoration of Mary? (Luke 11:27-28).
*.3. Why does it show that all Christians are priests? (1 Pet. 2:5,9).
*.4. Why does it condemn the observance of special days? (Gal. 4:9-11).
*.5. Why does it teach that all Christians are saints? (1 Cor. 1:2).
*.6. Why does it condemn the making and adoration of images? (Ex. 20:4-5).
*.7. Why does it teach that baptism is immersion instead of pouring? (Col. 2:12).
*.8. Why does it forbid us to address religious leaders as "father"? (Matt. 23:9).
*.9. Why does it teach that Christ is the only foundation and not the apostle Peter? (1 Cor. 3:11).
*.10. Why does it teach that there is one mediator instead of many? (1 Tim. 2:5).
*.11. Why does it teach that a bishop must be a married man? (1 Tim. 3:2, 4-5).
*.12. Why is it opposed to the primacy of Peter? (Luke 22:24-27).
*.13. Why does it oppose the idea of purgatory? (Luke 16:26).
*.14. Why is it completely silent about infant baptism, instrumental music in worship, indulgences, confession to priests, the rosary, the mass, and many other things in the Catholic Church?
heheheheeh guy you just revealed what you truly are....anticatholic. Well you are not alone...keep on protesting while the Church still stands firm grin
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by freeradical(m): 11:54pm On Nov 05, 2013
basildemaria: If I am right, why mavister refutes the teaching is because he tinks "this will cause people to have a wrong mindset,,nd do evil tinkin dey will end up nd pay in purgatory".
Myself and every other catholic here have been trying hard to tell him that this isnt the case as any catholic that deliberately sins because he thinks purgatory can purge his sins after death and lead him to heaven will surely end up in hell but the dude still refuses to listen but prefers to rage on about how the catholic church is doing dis and doing dat and spreading false gospel. Just leave the dude he's not here to learn but spread anti-catholic propaganda. As if say na today we don dey hear all this things we he dey yarn grin
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:55pm On Nov 05, 2013
mavister: paul goes on to say that unless a person builds upon the foundation of Jesus, his work will be burned up the in the day of judgment (v. 13). See also, 1 Cor. 5:5; 2 Cor. 1:14; 1 Thess. 5:2).
Paul is simply using the terms that are familiar with the people of the time. Fire was the tool used to purify metals and to get rid of that which was unwanted, the dross. So too, on the day when our works are examined, the fire of judgment will both purify and remove. This will not affect our salvation, but it will affect our rewards. The theme of fire used as purification is also found in 2 Pet. 3:10-13. But this is not talking about becoming saved or staying saved.
1 Cor. 3:15does not teach purgatory as a place we go to in order to have some of our sins cleansed from us. It teaches that even though the person is justified by faith and cannot face damnation, his works will, however, be judged on "that day." Those works which are good will survive the fires of judgment the way gold, silver, and precious stones can survive fire. So too, on the day when our works are examined, the fire of judgment will both PURIFY and remove. This will not affect our salvation, but it will affect our rewards. The theme of fire used as purification is also found in 2 Pet. 3:10-13. But this is not talking about becoming saved or staying saved.
amen, amen, amen, what you explained above, is the catholic church teaching on purgatory, on the day of judgement your worth will be revealed, before you reach heaven the hay and straws (human imperfection) must be purged out, even if it is burnt you'll still be saved but 2 thing will happen 1st you'll suffer loss, 2nd you'll "escape as though by fire".
Dear mavister, in simple terms what u explained above is purgatory, the removal of human imperfection b4 entrance into heaven.

Paul goes on to say in 1 Cor. 4:5,"Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of mens' hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God."
Note also, 1 Pet. 1:6-7,"In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials,7that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."
2 Pet. 3:10-13,"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up.11Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,12looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, on account of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!13But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells."
you have just proved purgatory.
You've saved me a lot of trouble, thankyou and weldone.

2 Likes

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by sixone: 12:08am On Nov 06, 2013
free radical: heheheheeh guy you just revealed what you truly are....anticatholic. Well you are not alone...keep on protesting while the Church still stands firm grin

You mean the political entity still stands firm?

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:14am On Nov 06, 2013
free radical: Myself and every other catholic here have been trying hard to tell him that this isnt the case as any catholic that deliberately sins because he thinks purgatory can purge his sins after death and lead him to heaven will surely end up in hell but the dude still refuses to listen but prefers to rage on about how the catholic church is doing dis and doing dat and spreading false gospel. Just leave the dude he's not here to learn but spread anti-catholic propaganda. As if say na today we don dey hear all this things we he dey yarn grin
cool down and read his post. If you are not calm enough you'll fail to recognise when he unknowingly teach the exact thing the was condeming.

1 Like

Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:15am On Nov 06, 2013
six one:

You mean the political entity still stands firm?
if this tickles your fancy then open a thread to discuss it. Don't derail.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by binhozie(m): 12:30am On Nov 06, 2013
amara.lizzy%40y:
I strongly believe that there is nothing like purgatory,is either hell fire or heaven. Some people said if you commit sin and die you go to purgatory and do six months frog jump before you enter heaven that is a pure lie.

believe me if there is anything like purgatory and i miss batch A to heaven
six months frog jump na small thing for me.
I go add back flip on top "chuku-chuku" and butterfly stroke inside shiit water
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by sassy4ever: 1:00am On Nov 06, 2013
The Bible says dat "not all sins lead to hell" and it also says dat "nothing impure shall enter heaven". 4rm d above,it shows dat certain sins wont lead 2 hell and shuld one die in such sin,dat means dat person would go 2 heaven.But wait! Such a person cant enta heaven because ntin impure can enta it! So dat means there must b a place where pple are purged of such sin dat wont allow dem enta heaven and wont take dem 2 hell either!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Deschil: 2:48am On Nov 06, 2013
To enlighten others.
italo: If you have made up your mind, why are you asking?
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Walexp(m): 4:06am On Nov 06, 2013
Lobatan ooooooooo
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by SalC: 4:26am On Nov 06, 2013
Some people can be really funny.

So far no single protestant have been able to prove nada against the existence of purgatory. Some even go about proving it's existence. Something like...............

1cor3V15 is not about purgatory, it doesn't concern your salvation, it only says on that day if your work is liken to wood or hay it will be burnt and you will be saved but not rewarded, blablabla. Isn't that exactly the teaching of purgatory? Smh for ignorant people.

Still they will open their mouth wide and say no catholic has proven purgatory yet. Lol you are proving thesame thing as we do yet you are too blind to see it.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by woky: 4:40am On Nov 06, 2013
Sal C: Some people can be really funny.

So far no single protestant have been able to prove nada against the existence of purgatory. Some even go about proving it's existence. Something like...............

1cor3V15 is not about purgatory, it doesn't concern your salvation, it only says on that day if you work is liken to wood or hay it will be burnt and you will be saved but not rewarded, blablabla. Isn't that exactly the teaching of purgatory? Smh for ignorant people.

Still they will open their mouth wide and say no catholic has proven purgatory yet. Lol you are proving thesame thing as we do yet you are too blind to see it.
Lol.. they ar perplex
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 5:27am On Nov 06, 2013
basildemaria: No offence please,,but as regarding Paul's word, read 2 peter 3:16 there are some difficult things in his letter which unstable people explain falsely
this one always saying read this read that. Ever since u came on here, u havent even prooved a thing of the existence of purgatory. U only post some bible verses and 'waka pass' u ought to give us the indept explanation. You said their are some difficul thing in his letter which unstable people explain falsely. Am not surprised u made this statement. If u had the holy spirit indwelling in you, you u realize that the meaning of that passage doesnt in anyway relate to what your saying. U are not representing your church well here..
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 5:33am On Nov 06, 2013
basildemaria: @mavister
u ar makin dis discussiom a one-way thing.....we are still on a topic,but u dont wnt others to have their say
hahahhah i dont want others to have their say? Or maybe u meant am not giving u the chance to twist the bible to ur tune. And how am i making the discussion a one way thing? U want me to calm down isn't it? Hehehe
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 5:39am On Nov 06, 2013
basildemaria: If I am right, why mavister refutes the teaching is because he tinks "this will cause people to have a wrong mindset,,nd do evil tinkin dey will end up nd pay in purgatory".
so you too know all this that it will mislead people making them live a careless chrictian life and u still continue peddling your lies? Purgatory is a traditional belief which started long ago from pagans even before the catholic church began..u need more explanation, tell me i'd give you
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 6:05am On Nov 06, 2013
JMAN05:

exactly bro. The guy is just using his feeble human wisdom to explain all this.. And as u correctly, he cant proove the existence of purgatory. Because it is tradition. Even the ancient egyptians , when the catholic church had not started believed in praying for the dead and all that.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 6:12am On Nov 06, 2013
@italo , woky, ubenedictus ,free radical and others. Now i'd give u this answer. How funny you all are twisteing the bible..nevertheless take a look at this. The typical conversation between a roman catholic and non-catholic goes something like this:
Non-Catholic:“So you’re a Roman Catholic?”
Roman Catholic:“That’s right. I’m even a Notre Dame fan.”
NC:“Do you believe everything the Church teaches?”
RC:“Well, yeah, I guess so.”
NC:“Even purgatory?”
RC:“I think so.”
NC:“Well, let me get this straight. You believe in an all-loving God, don’t you?”
RC:“Yeah!”
NC:“Do you believe that this God sent His only begotten Son to die for you?”
RC:“Sure!”
NC:“So let me get this straight: You believe in an all-loving God, who loved you so much that He sent His only begotten Son to die for you, just so you can go to heaven when you die. Yet, this loving God first sticks you in a ‘cosmic oven’ and bakes you for a couple hundred years or so until you’re done?”
RC:“Well, I’ve never really thought about it that way.”
NC:“Where in the Bible does it say ‘purgatory’?”
About this time, our Catholic friend is looking for someplace to hide! He seems to have three equally unsatisfactory options. Option number one is blind faith: “I don’t know why I believe it, but I’m going to keep right on believing it anyway. After all, I’m Catholic, so don’t confuse me with the facts!”
Option two is an over-confident triumphalism: “Silly Fundamentalist! Where in the Bible really!”
The third option is to run for the hills.
Each of these options fails to take the situation seriously. Blind faith ignores the importance of an answer. Triumphalism ignores the importance of the question. And running away fails to see the importance of reality.
There is, however, another way: the way of constructive apologetics, which takes the question and the answer very seriously, and prayerfully begins to search the sacred texts and the storehouses of apostolic Tradition to find the truth about these important issues.
The case against purgatory seems to be based on three major objections. First, the teaching of purgatory seems to contradict the finished work of Christ and offend the basic understanding of God as a loving, all-caring, all-merciful God who has forgiven our sins in Christ Jesus. Second, purgatory seems to offer a “second chance” for those who did not follow Christ in this life. Third, purgatory does not appear to be a biblical teaching. Before examining the truth about purgatory, let’s take a look at these objections and see why they should be taken seriously.
Scripture stresses the truth of God’s love, and Evangelical Protestants have frequently had a powerful experience of Christ’s forgiveness. St. John explains: “In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his son to be the expiation for our sins” (1 Jn. 4:10). Jesus Christ Himself stresses mercy over judgment, stating,
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life” (Jn. 5:24).
Scripture teaches us about a God who “so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (Jn. 3:16). The Christian believer is called to accept the mercy of God as all-powerful, capable of overcoming all sin, and yet the Catholic who holds the teaching of purgatory seems to belittle God’s forgiveness. From this perspective, God appears almost schizophrenic, wanting to forgive our sins and yet meticulously hold us accountable for them, at one time cleansing us from all unrighteousness (cf. 1 Jn. 1:9) and then later deciding to “fry us” for displeasing Him. Have we “passed out of judgment” (cf. Jn. 5:24) or haven’t we? Has Christ forgiven our sins, or hasn’t He?
The second objection against purgatory is that it is a manufactured second chance. If you don’t really want to follow Christ, you can still get to heaven through the “backdoor.” Yet Scripture is clear that spiritual mediocrity is unacceptable (cf. Rev. 3:15-16). Jesus calls for complete commitment. He is either Lord of all, or He isn’t Lord at all. There is no second chance; we are either for Christ or against Him (cf. Lk. 11:23). The doctrine of purgatory seems to be an “end run.” But Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me” (Jn. 14:6).
The third argument against the doctrine of purgatory flows from a main dogma of Protestant theology, sola scriptura (“the Bible alone”). After all, where in the Bible do we find purgatory? A quick word check in any concordance will demonstrate that the word is nowhere to be found in Scripture. There’s no discussion of some third place between heaven and hell. Surely something as important as purgatory would be clearly taught in the pages of Scripture!
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 6:22am On Nov 06, 2013
Moreso... Purgatory also appears to be “guilty by association”: The doctrine is caught up in the “Catholic collection” of the intercession of the saints, indulgences, the sacrifice of the Mass, and other items that are perceived as “unbiblical” and the fruit of mere human tradition. As Christ warns, “[F]or the sake of your tradition, you have made void the word of God” (Mt. 15:6).
These views are held by very sincere Christians, men and women with whom we are united in Baptism. Catholics have an obligation to take these issues seriously.
When I began to investigate the teaching of purgatory, I knew that it wasn’t enough to simply ask, “Where in the Bible is purgatory?” As a Christian, the two most fundamental truths that I held were the Trinity — three Persons in one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit — and the Incarnation, that the eternal Son, at a point in history, took on human nature and became man like us in all things but sin. And yet the words “Trinity” and “Incarnation” were nowhere in Scripture. That is to say, the words weren’t, but the teachings were.
I now needed to go to the Bible and examine whether the teaching of purgatory — whether the word was there or not — was to be found in the teachings of Christ and the apostles. I began to search the Gospels to see if Jesus gave any teachings concerning judgment or purification at the end of our earthly life. I began to see that several of Our Lord’s teachings, far from disproving purgatory, seemed to point to the possibility that there might be some debt of justice that would be paid after our earthly life.
As Christ teaches about the importance of forgiveness, He gives the example of a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. He brought in a man who owed a great deal of money and forgave him the debt. The forgiven man in turn went out and met one of his fellow slaves, who owed him but a fraction of the amount, and demanded repayment. The just king summoned his slave back and said,
“You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you besought me; and should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?” And in anger his lord delivered him to the jailers, till he should pay all his debt (Mt. 18:32-34).
What was Jesus talking about? Scripture clearly teaches, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 8:1). And yet Our Lord Himself gives the example of a man who had been forgiven, afterward acted unjustly, and finally was handed over to repay all that he owed.
Again in St. Luke’s Gospel, Our Lord challenges His followers to make peace with one another, so that they will not be handed over to the magistrate who would throw them into prison: “I tell you, you will never get out till you have paid the very last copper” (Lk. 12:59; cf. Mt. 5:26). Christ calls the believer, who has passed out of condemnation — the sentence of hell — to live a life of justice which will be exacted to the last cent. If this is not the case, then the teachings of Jesus make no sense. The Catholic teaching about purgatory is that if, at the end of a Christian’s earthly life, this debt of justice was not satisfied, he shall be purified in purgatory before entering heaven. The teachings of Christ did not seem to contradict this. But lack of contradiction is still a long way from proof.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 6:41am On Nov 06, 2013
The major objection to purgatory is that somehow it undermines the finished work of Christ. Is Christ’s death sufficient? Of course it is! It is sufficient to win our redemption and to allow the Holy Spirit to sanctify us. The work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer, however, is the work of purification and sanctification. It is the application of the divine life won by Christ. Purgatory in no way should be viewed as a “second chance,” by which those who did not believe in and follow Christ can somehow “suffer their way into heaven,” despite their rejection of the Christian life. Jesus is clear that those who refuse to follow Him are guilty: “[H]e who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God” (Jn. 3:18). Spiritual purification is possible only for those who have been reconciled to God in this life (cf. 2 Cor. 5:18-20).
The concept of purification after death dates back to the Jews of pre-Christian times. Evidence of this can be seen in the Second Book of Maccabees. Catholics will quickly cite this as scriptural evidence for the reality of purgatory, but we must remember that Protestants do not accept 2 Maccabees as scriptural.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 06, 2013
italo:

I have shown you that Matt 12:32 clearly implies that some sins will be forgiven after death.

I have shown you that there is a state/place where people suffer loss yet are saved as through fire.

The Bible says no impurity will enter heaven.

Chukwudi has shown you that purgatory was referred to as prison.

What other proof do you want?

Video footage?

Did that Matthew mention purgatory? Did 1cor. 3:15 mention purgatory? which prove did you give me?

If you call it purgatory, another can come and say it is talking about the underworld, another can say another thing. who said you are the only one with unscriptural guess?

1. Jesus words refers to the coming new system of Christ's thousand year reign.

2. 1cor is not talking about the dead but the living. the work talked about is not the person himself but those he helped become xtians, if those persons fell to persecution, the work is burned up. then the individual who converted them will suffer lost. he will however, be saved, if he was saved, it will be as thru fire. It never said THROUGH fire but "AS through fire". the fire in that place is not a literal fire, just like the gold, silver, stone and wood there is not talking about literal materials, but showing that if you inculcate spiritual teachings to people so strong as fire resistant materials, when a firy persecution comes, your work (those you converted) will withstand it.

Let me stop here. read the context very well. I dont know how tradition came in there.
Re: Please Is There Anything Like Purgatory? by mavister(m): 6:55am On Nov 06, 2013
Where did purgatory come from? It originated with Greek and pagan philosophy, in particular Plato, and was introduced into the church through Origen in the 3rd Century, who is considered a heretic by the Roman Catholic Church. In addition, the teaching of purgatory is contradictory to Scripture for it undermines its clear teaching of the sufficiency of Jesus Christ and is not taught in the Old and New Testaments.
When was purgatory introduced to the church? Sometime before the 5th Century, the Roman Catholic Church took advantage of the idea of purgatory and used it in conjunction with selling "indulgences" to help put money into the Catholic Church.
An "indulgence" is the idea that by contributing some money to the Roman Catholic Church, you could "indulge" in a certain sin and not have to worry about the punishment for that sin.
In conjunction with purgatory, parishioners were assuming that something divine was taking place when they gave the church money to have their loved ones released from that imaginary place. By giving their money, they would also have their own time reduced. I didn't know that the pope and priests had the keys to death and hell.
What does the bible say happens when you die? "absent from the body, present with the Lord" 2 Cor. 5:8. Of course, that only applies to those who have put their trust in Jesus. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8: 1
What happens to those who die who don't believe in Jesus?And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment. Hebrews 9:27When you die, judgment is immediate. Either your sins have been washed away by Christ's shed blood or they haven't been. Those who have rejected Christ still have the wrath of God abiding on them and they immediately go to hell not purgatory. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideson him. John 3:36
When we die, we will not be routed to a waiting room to await entrance to heaven. Either Christ's death paid the full price of our sins or it didn't. We will either go to hell or heaven. There is no in between. The Catholic Church is promoting a lie with its position on purgatory. Who is the father of all lies? Satan.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states All who die in God's grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (33) (Reply)

Ibadan Baptist Pastor Locked Out By Church Members Over Embezzlement (Photo) / Governing Body Of Jehovah's Witnesses Warns Against Ponzi Schemes / CAN Reacts To Buhari's Sack Of Jim Obazee, FRCN Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.