Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo (6928 Views)

Blame Gowon And Awolowo For Biafra Genocide - General Madiebo / Abiola And Awolowo Who Is Greater?. / Interview With Ojukwu,comments On The Coup And Awolowo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 11:28am On Nov 11, 2013
As you foumites are aware, I am not known for verbosity. That honor would go to the likes of Sam_Ikenna, and other epistle writers like Gbawe or Kats(when he is cornered smiley ), so without further ado, here are my short, to the point, observations:

From the eve of independence, Awolowo led the Action Group as the Leader of the Opposition in the federal parliament, leaving Samuel Ladoke Akintola as the Western Region Premier. Serious disagreements between Awolowo and Akintola on how to run the Western region led the latter to an alliance with the Tafawa Balewa-led NPC federal government. A constitutional crisis led to the declaration of a state of emergency in the Western Region, eventually resulting in a widespread breakdown of law and order.

Awolowo insisted on interferring in running the Western Region instead of allowing Akintola to do his job, much like GEJ vicariously tried to do, through his wife in River state. We all saw the results of GEJ's actions which led to political crisis wherein the state legislature was seized by NASS, much like the Awo saga created a constitutional crisis in the Western Region. Thankfully, in River State, we have not yet seen the kind of violence, such as wetie where political enemies were doused with gasoline and burnt publicly - the barbaric acts which were reactions to Awolowo's interference. So far, all we've seen are disgraceful caining and beating inside of state assembly halls and intimidation of Amaechi by police. We hope things remain calm.

Secondly, Awo was big on Educating the masses, and in the spirit of Awoism, GEJ has ordered the building of over 400 Almajiri schools.

Thirdly, both Awo and GEJ are clueless when it comes to reading the handwriting on the wall, regarding when they need to stop running for office in the best interest of the nation. GEJ's 2015 presidential aspirations remain an open secret.

In Awo's case, his cluelessness and some would say, selfishness, kept him in the Presidential race in 1979. Even the blindman could see that if both Awo had stepped aside and gone into retirement thereby allowing younger and more progressive Nigerians to contest, we may all have been better off. The result of this cluelessness cum selfishness is the reason why Shagari won the elect by 33.7%, Awo 29.2, and Zik 16.8. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to note that if Awo and Zik had joined forces, the alliance would have won by 46% to Shagari's 33.7%. GEJ will follow Awo's lead and be booted out in 2015.

I can come up with tens of more similarities between GEJ and Awo, but as I stated, verbosity is not one of my skills, so it suffices to categorically state here that GEJ is an Awoist!

2 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by tomakint: 11:36am On Nov 11, 2013
Ndu, for the first time we are on the same PAGE! I just hope you are not trying to play out your occasional sarcastic personae!
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 11:42am On Nov 11, 2013
tomakint: Ndu, for the first time we are on the same PAGE! I just hope you are not trying to play out your occasional sarcastic personae!

You should have known by now that I speak the truth no matter whose Ox is gored. I am not one of those who cannot find anything good about GEJ's administration - the man has done well in several areas. I acknowledge that, but that does not mean that I will support him in 2015.

I stand by my observations in this thread.

1 Like

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by LadyExcellency: 12:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
I dropped within to check my ho'ney (maga or mugu shiny).

When he arrives, do well to contact me.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by GreatSkess: 12:26pm On Nov 11, 2013
The fact that a electric bulb produces light,does not means it serves the same function as the SUN!
Quite all right,^^^^Those point were congent,but let me infer in accordance to your post,the last sentence to be specific!
You said,Gej is an awoist,right? I must tell you, if a typical yoruba sees this post,they would come to a conclusion with this saying 'this dude just brought Awo low sha'
I must admit again, Gej has done some laudable effort just like in d case of EDUCATION, so do AWO!
But in terms of the River crisis and the earlier Western state crisis( state of emergency) i remain mute.
I would like to correct some+hing,it's satanic to quote a post online when the messages reads I wont vote Gej come 2015, some peeps here gullible. Dont change the orientiation they have!
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by MRWHINNIG: 12:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
Nigeria would have become another Iraq if Awolowo was allowed to become president. The best he could manage was to become Gowon's boy-boy.

sad smh. Nairaland is becoming boring.

7 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
Goodluck Jonathan has nowhere NEAR the intellect, charisma and foresight of Awolowo.

13 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by owolabifunke14(f): 12:36pm On Nov 11, 2013
With what I was told and several articles I read,Obasanjo was the head of state then meaning that Awo had no incumbent power during the contest. So, can you please explain to me why you are so sure that Jonathan a sitting president in nigeria will lose an election?
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by GreatSkess: 12:38pm On Nov 11, 2013
HNosegbe: Goodluck Jonathan has nowhere NEAR the intellect, charisma and foresight of Awolowo.
On what basis do you compare both erudite intellect? Awolowo was intelligent but he has his flaw!
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2013
Great_Skess: The fact that a electric bulb produces light,does not means it serves the same function as the SUN!
Quite all right,^^^^Those point were congent,but let me infer in accordance to your post,the last sentence to be specific!
You said,Gej is an awoist,right? I must tell you, if a typical yoruba sees this post,they would come to a conclusion with this saying 'this dude just brought Awo low sha'
I must admit again, Gej has done some laudable effort just like in d case of EDUCATION, so do AWO!
But in terms of the River crisis and the earlier Western state crisis( state of emergency) i remain mute.
I would like to correct some+hing,it's satanic to quote a post online when the messages reads I wont vote Gej come 2015, some peeps here gullible. Dont change the orientiation they have!

Thanks for your comments, but I'd like clarification on a couple of statements you made. You stated:

Some of us are a bit slow: would you kindly explain what you mean in terms understandable by say, a 15 year old student? Secondly, what is offensive about stating that anyone is an Awoist? Being an Awoist is not the same as having the same achievements, skills, or notoriety as Awolowo, or is it? I detect a latent superiority complex in your remark and I hope you don't speak for a majority of Yoruba people.

I'll also be interested in the reason why, an intellectual such as you, is afraid to comment about historical events. Why have you, as you stated, chosen to remain mute about the 'River crisis and the earlier Western state crisis( state of emergency)' analogy? Let me state here that you are among friendly people so there is no need to be afraid or think that a muted response is appropriate.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
owolabifunke14: With what I was told and several articles I read,Obasanjo was the head of state then meaning that Awo had no incumbent power during the contest. So, can you please explain to me why you are so sure that Jonathan a sitting president in nigeria will lose an election?

I am not sure that Jonathan will lose the election, only a fool does not understand that the power of incumbency is almost supreme in Nigeria. Having said that, if GEJ does not put his PDP house in order and bring the nPDP governors back in the fold, I'm afraid he will be booted out come 2015.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by GreatSkess: 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
owolabifunke14: With what I was told and several articles I read,Obasanjo was the head of state then meaning that Awo had no incumbent power during the contest. So, can you please explain to me why you are so sure Jonathan a sitting president in nigeria will lose an election?
If i would infer to your post, you mean Awo would had rigged the election? hahahaha,
Dont get it twisted,I am nt saying Gej acceded on the post of Head of state/government through election malpractise, I only get the suggested assumption from your post!
Lemme tell you something, you have to do away with the mindset which suggests that a govt in power cant be moved.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by MRWHINNIG: 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
Awolowo is far worse than Jonathan. He is a a cunning crook.

7 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by Akanbiedu(m): 12:48pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

You should have known by now that I speak the truth no matter whose Ox is gored. I am not one of those who cannot find anything good about GEJ's administration - the man has done well in several areas. I acknowledge that, but that does not mean that I will support him in 2015.

You don't speak the truth, stop decieving yourself jare.

2 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by PaulJohn1: 12:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
A comparism of Awolowo's write-ups while in prison to that of GEJ's in Aso villa is one of the obvious dissimillarities between them.

You comparism is like that of gold and wood, Awo being the gold..

5 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by donphilopus: 12:53pm On Nov 11, 2013
I love most of the posts I'm seeing
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
Akanbi_edu:

You don't speak the truth, stop decieving yourself jare.

E karo sir. Did I hit a raw nerve? Please point out any lie in any of my posts (views contrary to yours do not count).

Your post is encouraging because it shows that you agree with my original post. You are not a shy one who would not state his disagreement.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by MRWHINNIG: 12:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
Paul John: A comparism of Awolowo's write-ups while in prison to that of GEJ's in Aso villa is one of the obvious dissimillarities between them.

Gold? Lmao!

2 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 12:55pm On Nov 11, 2013
Paul John: A comparism of Awolowo's write-ups while in prison to that of GEJ's in Aso villa is one of the obvious dissimillarities between them.

Its not enough to make statements without adequately backing them up. Plese do the needful if you have the capability. What in your view makes one an "Awoist"?
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:05pm On Nov 11, 2013
Ere wo l'aja n b'ekun se? (dog and lion are now friends). Awolowo was a great politicians, and adverse at the nitty-gritty of it. He was recently described by Prof. Toyin Falola as having written more and better books on politics than our professor of political science. With all due respect, what does the President know about politics.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by GreatSkess: 1:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Thanks for your comments, but I'd like clarification on a couple of statements you made. You stated:

Some of us are a bit slow: would you kindly explain what you mean in terms understandable by say, a 15 year old student? Secondly, what is offensive about stating that anyone is an Awoist? Being an Awoist is not the same as having the same achievements, skills, or notoriety as Awolowo, or is it? I detect a latent superiority complex in your remark and I hope you don't speak for a majority of Yoruba people.

I'll also be interested in the reason why, an intellectual such as you, is afraid to comment about historical events. Why have you, as you stated, chosen to remain mute about the 'River crisis and the earlier Western state crisis( state of emergency)' analogy? Let me state here that you are among friendly people so there is no need to be afraid or think that a muted response is appropriate.
Actually in terms of the Awoism ish, what I meant was that the Western part of Nig see(s) Awo as their Nationalist. So,doing they believe so much in his ability. Cömparison in this phase deals with Individuality.
Concerning the constitutional crisis I remain mute.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Its not enough to make statements without adequately backing them up. Plese do the needful if you have the capability. What in your view makes one an "Awoist"?
You can only be termed an "awoist" is you are taking after the policies and vision of Awolowo. He was a great man. No wonder his style is a template in the SW, and to some extent in Edo State, which was part of the defunct Western Region. Before any person win a governorship election in the SW, he must be able to convince the electorate, who are always politically conscious, that would do like Awolowo. If you go to any village in the SW during any election, the old people would ask, "se egbe Awolowo l'egbe ye?" (is that Awolowo's party?)
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by 1Wilywily: 1:17pm On Nov 11, 2013
MR. WHINNIG:
Awolowo is far worse than Jonathan. He is a a cunning crook.
Jonathan can not be compared with that Tribalist cursed by Oba of Benin, That thief as the minister of Finance conspired with his Yoruba kinsmen descended on our National Coffers and committed one of the most secret looting of Nigeria wealth.

6 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 1:24pm On Nov 11, 2013
1Wilywily:
Jonathan can not be compared with that Tribalist cursed by Oba of Benin, That thief as the minister of Finance conspired with his Yoruba kinsmen descended on our National Coffers and committed one of the most secret looting of Nigeria wealth.

Please refrain from turning this thread into another tribal and bigotry ridden thread.

Orlando Owoh:
You can only be termed an "awoist" is you are taking after the policies and vision of Awolowo. He was a great man. No wonder his style is a template in the SW, and to some extent in Edo State, which was part of the defunct Western Region. Before any person win a governorship election in the SW, he must be able to convince the electorate, who are always politically conscious, that would do like Awolowo. If you go to any village in the SW during any election, the old people would ask, "se egbe Awolowo l'egbe ye?" (is that Awolowo's party?)

I'm glad we have students of SW history such as yourself here. I'd appreciate if you would itemize those policies and vision which would make a person an Awoist. If this political philosophy is documented anywhere, I'll appreciate a link, else I'll have to rely on historians like you to educate me. Please don't keep me waiting for too long.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 1:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
Great_Skess:
Concerning the constitutional crisis I remain mute.

Why? What are you afraid of?
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by tomakint: 1:27pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Ok then Ndu! I totally concur with most of your submissions here, in as much as you did not talk about their intellect, because you and I know that only one SAGE had graced the political landscape of Nigeria till date and that one and only candidate remains, Chief Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo of blessed memory! GEJ is my choice till 2019! Good job all the same Ndu!
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by Akanbiedu(m): 1:57pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

E karo sir. Did I hit a raw nerve? Please point out any lie in any of my posts (views contrary to yours do not count).

Your post is encouraging because it shows that you agree with my original post. You are not a shy one who would not state his disagreement.

You and I know this is not about Awo and GEJ, this is about getting Igbos and Yorubas on each others throats. Since that is not my interest here, I would leave those people who are interested to attend to the thread.

4 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by nduchucks: 2:01pm On Nov 11, 2013
Akanbi_edu:

You and I know this is not about Awo and GEJ, this is about getting Igbos and Yorubas on each others throats. Since that is not my interest here, I would leave those people who are interested to attend to the thread.

But you are understandably wrong, your prejudices helped you reach the above conclusion. Reread the thread carefully and you'll note that Awoism or being an Awoist is more of the issue, as opposed to being in the same 'category' as Awo, or an Igbo vs Yoruba issue.
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 11, 2013
Was Awo Great?
Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by LarryTreash(m): 2:25pm On Nov 11, 2013
both of dem na human being anoda similaity na say i no lik both of dem.

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:50pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Please refrain from turning this thread into another tribal and bigotry ridden thread.

I'm glad we have students of SW history such as yourself here. I'd appreciate if you would itemize those policies and vision which would make a person an Awoist. If this political philosophy is documented anywhere, I'll appreciate a link, else I'll have to rely on historians like you to educate me. Please don't keep me waiting for too long.

Ask yourself why the SW still celebrates Awolowo. His wife, even at over 90, is still contacted to resolve political crises in the SW. And Azikiwe is remembered by the SE?

4 Likes

Re: Remarkable Similarities Between Goodluck Ebele Jonathan And Awolowo by BLS1: 2:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
@OP

It's been ages since I have read such pretentious garbage and that's saying something as I view NL regularly. Your desperate attempt to create your own dots and connect them into some sort of articulate argument is entirely laughable. You compared a. humble scholar with a charlatan, a man of honour and forthrightness with one who surrounds himself with crooks and nincompoops, a beloved leader with an unfortunate accident, a true serious Christian with one who makes one question "Christianity" and uses it to score cheap political points.... OP you are a big BIG fool. Infact I take that back, this must be some sort of temporary INSANITY, how can anyone sane compare the educational record of AW0 to JONATHAN... Are you trying to rewrite history.. Show me a school DR Jonathan built and I'll show you a 100 AWO birthed. Show me a student of DR GEJ (you will only be able to show me one, PATIENCE) and I will show you 1000s of real Professors our beloved letter writer produced, influenced and inspired. Or should we ignore the fact that DR GEJ has been a political power broker since 1999 till now, the richest era in Nigerian History (Financially) and he has nothing but a falling standard of education and incessant strikes to show on his CV.... While a man used cocoa to make the Western Region of Nigeria the envy of Africa? Even till now you cannot compare Ogun with Bayelsa in anyway educationally and you have the gall to bring up such a laughable comparison... you must have lost your senses!

Anyway I will leave others to savage the stupidity of your claims.... But the way you fools keep brining up this dead mans name and comparing him with all your failed leaders needs to be checked! The fact remains Chief Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo was never the President or defacto leader of Nigeria and cannot be blamed for your woes, he offered and you fools refused... live with it and deal with it. We in the Western Region are happy to assess his legacy over and over again.

18 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch / Impunity In The Villa As Aisha Buhari, Kids Confront Husband’s PA, Shots Fired / Emir Of Gumel Blesses SDP Presidemtial Candidate, Adewole Adebayo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.