Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23126 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

See foolish Jewish slave. I should leave my language and culture for Jesus, because he left his own language to learn Yoruba abi?

Wat u are saying is for us to learn the language of God's chosen people- Hebrew?

I have not recommended Hebrew or any language for that matter, unless you didnt read my remarks properly.

Also, there is not need for you to call me a Jewish slave. That is a bit harsh!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by AbuMikey(m): 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
booqee: what about this language of fagafigifogofefe.. Blah blah blah. I think its called enor. Our generation don't know it. Dat one too go disappear

E nor go fit ever disappear gringrin

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by StarFlux: 4:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
@OP

I highly doubt those statistics are correct, and where's your source? Even then, it does not cover Nigeria as a whole.

That said, there are many parents who chooses to teach strictly English to their children, it's quite sad, but the question everyone should be asking is: why is English the official language, and not a native Nigerian language? It's beyond me why so much of Africa chooses to speak French or English. People think language = money. That is not correct, and a lot of these children end up not being fluent in any language. It's like being in a cage not being able to express yourself properly.

Do you think European countries would throw away their languages? No, they would not. Yet Nigerians are embracing a language that was forced upon us like we should do everything in our power to learn it.

If I had to unlearn a language, English would be my first choice.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Omila007: 4:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: Indians love their language...their movies are in punjabvi language

hausas love their language...their movies are in hausa language

yorubas love their language...their movies are in yoruba language

IGBOs love their language...their movies are in ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Cluelessness

When them say igbo get sense it's sounds like rocket science.
There movies are in English so they can sell it to everybody in the country.
Include your dumbskull.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 4:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2:

I have not recommended Hebrew or any language for that matter, unless you didnt read my remarks properly.

Also, there is not need for you to call me a Jewish slave. That is a bit harsh!
So, what were you trying to say with your comment? What language are you recommending that we throw away our language for?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by neohitler(m): 4:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
Nimen:

i hate ppl like you, you think you know something when you don't, comot your smelling self from my front
Thank God you also hate this Ape in human form.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by dridowu: 4:56pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Have you seen in your words, 'while' some parents insist on communicating with their kids in English?!
would that make them to speak more than Gordon Brown ? Get a life bro
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by ikenga67: 4:56pm On Nov 14, 2013
Any language that is not the language of instruction in schools is headed the way of the wooly mammoth.
Language is a organic, living thing which evolves. The English of today is very different from the english of Victorian times talkless of Shakespearean times. If you pick the Oxford dictionary of today and compare it to that of the turn of the twentieth century, you will be surprised at how much the english language has grown and evolved. If you go into the technical and scientific fields, the difference will be even a lot more glaring.
The most effective mode of adapting a language to changing times is to make that language the mode of instruction at schools.
Until we start to teach our children computer science and geometry and nuclear physics in Yoruba and Igbo and Hausa and Ibibio, etc, those language wil keep falling short in a world that is changing ever so quickly.
Ironically, the fact that Nigeria is a multi cultural society in need of a lingua franca has almost automatically doomed the future of all Nigerian languages. There is no way in today's polarised Nigeria that other ethnic groups will adopt another local language to replace English in all our schools. The paradoxical thing is that at the time of Independence, some "Nationalist" Southerners were actually pushing for the adoption of Hausa as Nigeria's lingua franca. The fact that such tought will be considered heretical today shows you how far we have come as a country.
In the final analysis, it is sad that languages spoken by just a few people in Europe are thriving while those native to tens of millions of people in Nigeria and other parts of Africa are falling behind and doomed to the exotic fate of latin.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by yousee(m): 4:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof: Yoruba can never be extinct, it can only evolve

Yea, it can only evolve into ENGLISH! grin
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by drake22: 5:02pm On Nov 14, 2013
I think every country i have been to UAE, China, Malaysia Hk. anytime i see black people discussing. I hear kedu,mba nna etc. Who says Igbo lang will go extinct. Even the last BBA you can most house mate joking in Igbo language.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
new maonza:
I strongly believe that the adoption of a foreign religion is the begining of this language crisis, the white men gave us Christ an colonized us and every body sees speaking english as being civilised.........The arabs were not dat successful,had they been,the bulk of us would be speaking arabic.... The Chinese are now perfecting how 2 sell Buddhism to the black world,,probably Mandarin is the universal language of the future...........
There is no language crisis. It is ethno-phobia in people's heads. The world is changing and so many people can not stand it. Let me tell you one thing, your children will not be to you what you are to your parents today. Cast your mind to the next 50 years and try to come of with a number of scenarios of what the world will be then. Language and culture are like currencies. They are determined by law of demand and supply. If people need your language (currency), they will learn it (demand for it). Most important thing is to speak the language that will help you fufil God's purpose for your life.
If you think Mandarin is the language of the 21st century (It may well be, but the jury is still out on that one), then do the needful for you and your family.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by hotwax: 5:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
yousee:

As it changed? No.

Yoruba is still spreading.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by hotwax: 5:08pm On Nov 14, 2013
Omila007:

Include your dumbskull.

And Chinese dont sell to the whole world?

Sir mumu, google the world "Subtitle"

Did you go to school at all?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 5:11pm On Nov 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
So, what were you trying to say with your comment? What language are you recommending that we throw away our language for?
people like you will waste their time trying to get their kids to learn how to speak Yoruba/Hausa/Ibo/etc. When they grow, they wont even be bothered.

What I am trying to say is that priority should be to speak a language that helps you fufil your potential. I am Ibo but speaking Igbo language is the least of my priority and that will apply to what i get my children to speak. I will focus on getting them to speak a language that prepares them for the future (unless they want to contest for local govenment election which i doubt will ever happen lol).

There is a story I would have love to tell your to educate you but because you abused me, i wont bother tongue
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by caukerzee(m): 5:18pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: Yoruba language is the best in africa.
Says someone who till has to type in English to pass his message across. We africans like to brag about utterly useless things. Other races are making technological breakthroughs left, right and center every now and then. You are on here on nairaland ranting and spewing rubbish about how your tribe is better than another (with nothing to show for it other than baseless sentiments).

P.S: Hausa has more speakers globally than yoruba.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by wickyyolo: 5:19pm On Nov 14, 2013
MamiWata:

Leaving our languages behind has nothing to do with being "civilized."

Things change. Always expect that change. I want to marry a yoruba girl and my children will speak only english and other international languages. I want to raise world class citizens.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:20pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Dude I know cubans who recite odu ifa in Yoruba language

there is this Music group from Sierra Leone who adds a lot of Yoruba lyrics

I've never been sure of Jamaica but Cuba speaks Yoruba as a conversional language. And Yoruba religion is also practiced in properly in Brazil and Trinidad and Tobago, Ifa is best recited in Yoruba there. And many come to learn Yoruba language in Nigeria

@bold...you're still saying the same thing that I said. They recite odu ifa in Yoruba as a liturgical language. Its the same way many catholics are able to say a mass in latin. But that doesn't mean Nigerian catholics are latin speakers. The usage of latin ends right there in the church.

That a music group in sierra leone learn and add yoruba lyrics to their song doesn't mean they speak yoruba. Some people in Nigeria sing songs in French, yet Nigeria isn't french speaking.

Learn to verify facts before spilling them out. That's why you're educated, I suppose. Don't blow things out of proportion unnecessarily. For a language to be said to be spoken by a people or country, that language must be used in the day to day lives of the people. It must be spoken at market places, buses, at schools, churches, public places, must be the daily language of conversation between people etc. Look up the languages of Brazil, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica etc Yoruba is not on the list of languages spoken in those countries. It is not a native language of the natives.

The population of Santeria/Ifa-related worshippers in Brazil is very small. You make it seem like all Brazilians practice Santeria. The actual population is very small - 0.31%.

Catholicism is the country's predominant faith. Brazil has the world's largest Catholic population. According to the 2000 Demographic Census (the PNAD survey does not inquire about religion), 73.57% of the population followed Catholicism; 15.41% Protestantism; 1.33% Kardecist spiritism; 1.22% other Christian denominations; 0.31% Afro-Brazilian religions; 0.13% Buddhism; 0.05% Judaism; 0.02% Islam; 0.01% Amerindian religions; 0.59% other religions, undeclared or undetermined; while 7.35% have no religion.
http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/estatistica/populacao/censo2000/populacao/religiao_Censo2000.pdf

For Cuba,

Languages
The official language of Cuba is Spanish and the
vast majority of Cubans speak it. Spanish as spoken
in Cuba is known as Cuban Spanish and is a form of
Caribbean Spanish. Lucumi, a dialect of the West
African language Yoruba, is also used as a liturgical
language by practitioners of Santería.
Haitian Creole is
the second largest language in Cuba, and is spoken
by Haitian immigrants and their descendants.
Other languages spoken by immigrants include
Catalan and Corsican.

Religion:
In 2010, the religious affiliation of the country was estimated by the Pew Forum to be 59.2 percent Christian (mostly Roman Catholic), 23.0 percent unaffiliated, 17.4 percent folk religion (such as santería), and the remaining 0.4 percent consisting of other religions.
Cuba is officially a secular state. Religious freedom
increased through the 1980s, with the government finally amending the constitution in 1992 to drop the state's characterization as atheistic.
Roman Catholicism is the largest religion, with its
origins rooted in Spanish colonization. Despite less
than half of the population identifying as Catholics
in 2006, it nonetheless remains the dominant faith.

Nobody doubts that Ifa-related religions are practiced in Cuba, Brazil, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago. They are. And the language of recitation is Lukumi, a dialect of Yoruba. The priests or Babalawos will have to learn the language of recitation properly if they want to function as Santeria priests. To do this, the priests come to Nigeria to learn the language. The same way catholic priests go to the seminary to learn catholic ways and latin. However, the usage of lukumi doesn't extend beyond religious settings. Santeria-practicing Brazillians will still go home and speak portuguese. Candomble-practicing Cubans and Trinidadians and Tobagoans will still go home and speak Spanish and English/French/Spanish respectively.

The above is the true situation of things.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 5:25pm On Nov 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're wrong. Why don't you tell me why most International media outfits have Hausa as one of their broadcast language but not Yoruba or Igbo. Don't push it. Hausa is more widely spoken and more widely recognized.

Dude Imac has Yoruba keyboard format, wikipedia has hundreds of pages in Yoruba option. Google can be viewed in Yoruba
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by anulaxad(m): 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
Let them disappear at least it will get of all this wicked and racist bigots that this country has.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:32pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Dude Imac has Yoruba keyboard format, wikipedia has hundreds of pages in Yoruba option. Google can be viewed in Yoruba

You do realize the language translators for the Yoruba pages are Yorubas right?

Also, how many Yorubas while on the internet would rather ignore the English articles and read the Yoruba articles?

And you do realize that many Yorubas are educated such that when presented with two articles in English and Yoruba, many would prefer to read the English article? Same with other educated Nigerians from other tribes?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
LOL. I'm currently at a restaurant now and just across my table is this Lebanese man who's speaking fluent Igbo with his Igbo male friends here. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 5:44pm On Nov 14, 2013
wickyyolo:

Things change. Always expect that change. I want to marry a yoruba girl and my children will speak only english and other international languages. I want to raise world class citizens.

I can't let my daughter marry a non-Yoruba, or a Yoruba that can't speak Yoruba. I might even consider not marring her to a Yoruba abrahamic
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by bigfrancis21: 5:44pm On Nov 14, 2013
bigfrancis21: LOL. I'm currently at a restaurant now and just across my table is this Lebanese man who's speaking fluent Igbo with his Igbo male friends here. Lol.

This Lebanese man is really trying. He's speaking not just Igbo, but Owerri/Aba Igbo. He's impressing the people around here.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 5:48pm On Nov 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You do realize the language translators for the Yoruba pages are Yorubas right?

Also, how many Yorubas while on the internet would rather ignore the English articles and read the Yoruba articles?

And you do realize that many Yorubas are educated such that when presented with two articles in English and Yoruba, many would prefer to read the English article? Same with other educated Nigerians from other tribes?

I prefer to read in Yoruba, I once had a free 30days Yoruba keyboard, I always typed in Yoruba. If I can thousands who love the Yoruba language would too.

And to ur posts about cubans not speaking Yoruba. Maybe u don't know any Cuban santero. I chat wit them in Yoruba.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
jess5:

And because the Igbos love their language and make movies in English, they've been able to create an industry that every Nigerian can participate in. It doesn't matter whether they are Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa or Ijaw.

Aa a result, Nollywood movies were able to go global and help a Yoruba actress like Omotola to be recognised as one of the most influential personalities of TIMES 2013 award.
all of these you have done to the detriment of your own language. Mumu
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 5:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
yousee:

ode osi
English is already a language.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Gamboh55(m): 5:58pm On Nov 14, 2013
booqee: i agree with you

Very TRUE..cos dey rarely speak English, only when necessary.they never use English as a means of communication with deir kids nd oda family members.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
EBK2:
people like you will waste their time trying to get their kids to learn how to speak Yoruba/Hausa/Ibo/etc. When they grow, they wont even be bothered.

What I am trying to say is that priority should be to speak a language that helps you fufil your potential. I am Ibo but speaking Igbo language is the least of my priority and that will apply to what i get my children to speak. I will focus on getting them to speak a language that prepares them for the future (unless they want to contest for local govenment election which i doubt will ever happen lol).

There is a story I would have love to tell your to educate you but because you abused me, i wont bother tongue

So as an Igbo speaker, am not prepared for the future, o kwa ya?
One's indigenous language cannot prepare him/her for the future, o kwa ya?
When some ppl talk, I marvel at .............

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2013
Omila007:

Include your dumbskull.
that is what they call mumu sense- neglecting your language for the love of money- and its thesame igbo people you'll find selling korean movies e.g JUMONG , BAEK DONG SU etc done in korean language which are popular than the best nollywood movie.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
Most of us watch Korean, India, Philipine and chinese films, we cnt deny the fact that 99% of languages used in their films are purely their native languages yet we appreciate and buy this films even wen we dnt understand a bit of the language, I know this films have subtitles but then, they could have easily spoken in english for the convinience of people that wud buy it right? It only showz that Nigerians have no confidence in their spoken language. Most parents doesnt even know how to speak good english so their kids wud grow up not knowing how to speak good english and they wunt know how to speak their mother's tongue too. Where has this spoken enlish gotten us self? I am a proud yoruba somebody, cos there is no how a yoruba parent wouldnt speak at least a bit of the language to their kids!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Inyanga(m): 6:10pm On Nov 14, 2013
Efik & Ibibio (Calabar) can never be an extinct, it can only evolve

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Fulani Siddika Sanusi's Bridal Shower (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.