Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Nigeria's Disappearing Languages - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Disappearing Languages (23127 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / How Many Languages Can You Speak Fluently? / The Meaning Of Peace In The Different Nigerian Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by joycooten2002: 3:34pm On Nov 14, 2013
Ara re ya. Oruwo nda mu re @poster. "that is Ijebu Language that will remain till Christ come"
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by GeneralShepherd(m): 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:
@Bold...I've given so much thought and done some research on this topic. On the contrary, Igbo language is a living language and still very strong. The language IS NOT dying even in the next 200 years. You've failed to notice that the only subset of Igbos who don't speak the language are children who were born outside Igbo land. However, as these children grow up they pick up the language. It is very rare to find an Igbo adult who isn't an Igbo speaker. I, myself, am an example. I didn't speak Igbo as a child. Me and my siblings. But I speak it fluently now as an adult.

Visit secondary schools round Igbo land, over 95% of school children communicate in Igbo. The ones who were raised with English only by their
parents adopt the language from their friends due to peer influence.

If there's any language in Nigeria that deserves such attention being given to Igbo, it should be Bini/Ishan language. Over 50% of Binis/Ishans, both young and old alike, don't speak the language. Many are sadly unable to construct a simple sentence in Bini/Ishan.

True my girlfriend is Ishan and I wanted to know what good morning is in Ishan. Lo and behold she knew not!! But she speaks impeccable yoruba!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by mrgreen4real(m): 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
ochallo: If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.
Bros ye! All this tinz wey u dey write or talk dey confuse me, u sure say computer knw wetin u write? If not meet me @the bar for some chilling

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 14, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

If you want you language to be relevant go into production.

The chinese exported Mandarin to world when they decided to be printing the user manuals of their products in Mandarin or in combination with other languages!

As long as Igbo,Hausa,Yoruba and other ethnicities in Nigeria do not contribute meaningfullly to global development and economy our languages will always be irrelevant.

Imagine if University Of Ibadan was ranked maybe 4th in the world university ranking,do you think foreign students that come there to learn will not pick up Yoruba. Thank you. We are too arrogant, and have contributed little to the advancement of science and technology today. Do you think Americans will be learning how to speak Chinese and Japanese if they were under developed consumers? Think about this.

Stop this black man mentality of demanding undue recognition!
Very true. No need to make noise about Language. What are our linguists doing? how many Nigerian languages have a standard dictionary? As for those saying Hausa would not get extinct, na you sabi
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 3:41pm On Nov 14, 2013
Yoruba language is the best in africa.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by nnabuike1(m): 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
1 shortblackboy: a whole latin is all but extinct na our own una dey talk. its all part of civilisation. nobody speaks d language of the ancient Eyptians either

Wrong!! Latin is not extinct, it evolved into todays romance languages.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by neohitler(m): 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: Yoruba language is the best in africa.
Hey Chimp,please get a real job.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 3:44pm On Nov 14, 2013
ochallo: If those languages were useful, they would not disappear, while languages are disappearing, people are learning other languages. The best thing you can do for your child is to teach him fluent English without the hausa or igbo accent(base language), chinese (second best option) , french or spanish*( third best), german or korean or greek or hindi (fourth category).

But if you want them to become local government chairmen and councillors because your vision is extreemely limited , then go ahead and employ a teacher to teach them the thickest , toughest dialect of your village.

P.s
Zoque-Ayapaneco, an indigenous Mexican language is considered the most likely to become extinct, because the only two people in the world that speak it fluently, do not talk to each other!

And, it's not because they live in different countries, states or even villages - In fact, Manuel Segovia and Isidro Velazquez, both in their 70's, reside within 500 yards of each other, in the village of Ayapa in the Southern Mexican State of Tabasco. They however, refuse to converse because they simply don't have much in common. Segovia is apparently a little 'brusque' in nature whilst Velazquez is described as 'stoic'.
bro are you English or Spanish? no. your language is your identity make it useful and relevant by speaking it .
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 3:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
among d languages in Africa ; Swahili ; Zulu; our language is also reckoned with but don't flaunt it on others Like dt. We yorubas don't behave unruly cease to b a jerk.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by stevebond007(m): 3:47pm On Nov 14, 2013
among d languages in Africa ; Swahili ; Zulu; our language is also reckoned with but don't flaunt it on others Like dt. We yorubas don't behave unruly cease to b a jerk.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by sbeezy8: 3:50pm On Nov 14, 2013
[size=15pt]In Kogi, Fulani find new wealth, new tongue .
[/size]

Jibrin Abubakar, who was in Kogi .

They are in a perpetual state of flux. Nomadic Fulani are the most widely travelled ethnic group in Nigeria. Many of them have become Hausa, some are now Yoruba. But there is fear that the Fulani tongue may disappear in years to come.

This is corroborated by the fact that many Fulani people cannot speak Fulfulde. In Kogi, they have found a new melting pot where the pasture is richer and greener.

In Kogi’s Bunu-Kabba Local Government, the story is not different but the evolution is taking business dimension where the Fulani assimilate Owe as a business language helped by inter-ethnic marriage. The Owe speaking people are scattered around Bunu-Kabba and Yagba West Local Governments of the state.

Zango in Bunu-Kabba is considered the goose that is laying the new ‘golden eggs’. It is seen as a melting point and a catalyst to the evolution of the new ‘tribe’. Zango is a place where both ethnic groups meet to do hard cattle business, and then all other things follow.

On daily basis, Zango causes the immigration of more Fulani people. It is a place to make money. The aborigines are said to be hospitable to their guests. The green grass also smiles at the nomadic pastoralists.

The daily value of trade in cattle is put at about N4 million in Zango, while an average of 20 heads of cattle are sold or bought. This is apart from the small auxiliary businesses flourishing around the area.

The chief Imam of the Hausa community, Malam Muhammadu Ahmad said that there is growing trend of inter-marriage taking place between the Hausa and the owe speaking people.

“We have been marrying ourselves. Our children speak the owe language fluently. This is not a problem, it is normal,” he said.

According to him, most Hausa people came to Bunu-Kabba to take refuge from South East of the country during the Biafran War.

“The people of this region gave us refuge and accommodation when we were being killed during the war. In fact, the sarkin Hausa of the town was born here.”

He said he came to the area in 1980s when he was trading in wrist watches and clocks. According to him, the Owe-speaking people are very hospital and peace loving.

Yakubu Haruna is in his 70s. He immigrated to Bunu-Kabba in 1980. He said nomadic life brought him to Kogi State from Plateau. He said he has about 200 cows and that the average price of a grown cow is N100,000. He said most of their children now speak the local dialect and that inter-marriages preceded his arrival. He, however, added that the only ticket needed for marrying a Fulani man or woman is Islam.

Speaking also, sarkin Zango (Head of the zango), Malam Abubakar Aliyu, who is also a Fulani, originally from Sokoto, said he left his ancestral home 27 years ago in search of green pasture; but when he arrived Bunu-Kabba, he said to himself he has found a new home.

Regaling our reporter with the story of Zango, he said: “The story of Zango is not more than 15 years back when we applied to use this land that was originally slated for market purposes. When they gave us the go-ahead, we started with three cows. Today, an average of 80 cows are sold on daily basis. This is in the region of N4 million.

“The cows come from Jega, Wudil, Shinkafi and Tambuwal. Our major problem here is that we have no tap water and we want the government to also contribute to environmental sanitation.”

He advised government to develop interest in what is happening in Zango as it generates about N50,000 into government coffers.

Alhaji Muhammadu Altini, who is the Sarkin Pawa (in charge of slaughtering) is Hausa, originally from Tambuwal, Sokoto State. He left Tambuwal 33 years back to join his elder brother at Ajaokuta. He left Ajaokuta to Bunu-Kabba eight years ago and was later asked to head the slaughtering segment of the Zango. He is credited with the construction of all the shops in Zango.

Speaking about his department, he said he has up to 18 staff in his unit.

He added, “we have some problems here. Our abattoir is not in good shape. Cows’ waste is not properly disposed of and this poses serious environmental hazard. We, that have titles are also not paid salaries or allowances. We want the local government and the traditional institution to show more concern in what we are doing here.”

Despite some of the concerns raised by the immigrants, Bunu-Kabba is a new home and Owe, a new tongue they have found. Salient cultural changes are also taking place, some are noticed, others are not. The underlying current now is business.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by sbeezy8: 3:52pm On Nov 14, 2013
^^^ I said before that tribes assimilate into hausa and yoruba majority of the time- I was right
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 3:55pm On Nov 14, 2013
sexkillzmother: no wonder my Igbo neighour's children preferring to speak Yoruba to Igbo here in Lagos. i dnt think Yoruba lang can fade away.

mtchew
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 3:59pm On Nov 14, 2013
sbeezy8: ^^^ I said before that tribes assimilate into hausa and yoruba majority of the time- I was right
It's true for Hausa but not Yoruba. Note than learning and assimilation are two different things.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 4:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I wonder why nairalanders paint a different picture from reality on nairaland.

There's no yoruba language in sierra leone. The descendants of former yoruba and Igbo ex-slaves who settled in Sierra Leone have mixed and are called Krio. They speak a language called Krio which is pidgin English language.

Also, Yoruba isn't spoken in Cuba and Brazil. It is only used as a liturgical language by santeria and candombele adherents who practise the religion just as catholics recite mass in latin. This population of this ifa-related worshippers is actually small compared to catholics, protestants etc in Brazil and Cuba. Brazil is a predominantly catholic country. Latin America or South America is catholic in population. As for day-to-day speaking of Yoruba in these countries, it is non-existent.

Jamaica doesn't practice ifa-related religions. They practice Obia instead which is a mix of Igbo's 'Obia or Dibia' and Akan's 'Obeyah' beliefs.

Dude I know cubans who recite odu ifa in Yoruba language

there is this Music group from Sierra Leone who adds a lot of Yoruba lyrics

I've never been sure of Jamaica but Cuba speaks Yoruba as a conversional language. And Yoruba religion is also practiced in properly in Brazil and Trinidad and Tobago, Ifa is best recited in Yoruba there. And many come to learn Yoruba language in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 4:01pm On Nov 14, 2013
Lilimax: It is true the children may find it difficult to see whom to converse with in Igbo but let them understand the language first. Presently my son is speaking the language which he could not speak until I forced him to be responding in Igbo whenever we're discussing.
Again I'm considering adopting my parents style of training when me and my sibblings were growing up. We all went to Primary School in Lagos but were all sent to the East for our secondary schools.
Today, all of us can write and speak Igbo fluently.
I think this is a very good model cos the reason Igbo language is dying is because a lot of Igbos migrate out of their ancestral home. If we had at leat 90% of Igbos living or having lived in Igboland then most Igbos will know how to speak the language. Most people who speak Igbo today are people who are either above 25 years and above or have lived measurably in Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
That's y I like the catholic churches.
At least in the east, the bible passages, prayer books, choir notes, sermons are written and read in Igbo
For u to follow in the prayer sessions in the church: be it mass, stations of the cross, anything sef, u must be able to read igbo.
Wish all these new generation churches will drop English and speak the indigenous languages.
It will help extra-school language education.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
I think this is a very good model cos the reason Igbo language is dying is because a lot of Igbos migrate out of their ancestral home. If we had at leat 90% of Igbos living or having lived in Igboland then most Igbos will know how to speak the language. Most people who speak Igbo today are people who are either 25 years and above or have lived measurably in Igboland.

u mean 90% of Igbo stay outside d east?
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 4:10pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

u mean 90% of Igbo stay outside d east?
I said IF 90% live in Igboland which would be an overwhelming majority. It doesn't mean that 90% live outside of it. We may not know exactly how many Igbos live outisde the SE but one thing is certain 40% of Igbos still live in Igboland. It could be more but this figure is closer to the truth. Mind you, more people will keep moving out cos it seems that to a lot of Nigerians, if you don't live in Lagos, Abuja or Port-hacourt, you can't make it in life.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2013

Statistics show that Swahili is Africa's most recognized language.

Yoruba comes second, that's why we Yoruba most develop and appreciate our culture, spirituality and language more.

We should look forward to having Yoruba as Oodua nation's official language

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 4:15pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Statistics show that Swahili is Africa's most recognized language.

Yoruba comes second
The person you quoted says BEST and here you're saying MOST RECOGNIZED. Why don't you ask him what he means by BEST. And btw, the most recognized languages in Africa are Swahili and Hausa before any other.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by jess5(f): 4:16pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: Indians love their language...their movies are in punjabvi language

hausas love their language...their movies are in hausa language

yorubas love their language...their movies are in yoruba language

IGBOs love their language...their movies are in ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Cluelessness

And because the Igbos love their language and make movies in English, they've been able to create an industry that every Nigerian can participate in. It doesn't matter whether they are Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa or Ijaw.

Aa a result, Nollywood movies were able to go global and help a Yoruba actress like Omotola to be recognised as one of the most influential personalities of TIMES 2013 award.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2013
SPEED5: Op your statistics is unacceptable. I live in the east, and presently I shuttle owerri and aba. And I go to other eastern cities a lot.
What children ages 1-5, and ages 5 and upwards speak on the street is igbo. Igbo is the predominant means of communication in the east.
Its mostly children born in lagos that have challange some times with learning igbo.
Igbos born in the east speak igbo, so in the next 50 years igbo language will still be vibrant

Please help me out.
I wonder what unesco think they speak in the east.
English?
Hia, in my sec sch, ppl that speak English because they were based outside igbo land, had the fewest friends and acquaintances
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by macof(m): 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
The person you quoted says BEST and here you're saying MOST RECOGNIZED. Why don't you ask him what he means by BEST. And btw, the most recognized languages in Africa are Swahili and Hausa before any other.

Hausa is second most spoken in African territories

Yoruba is second recognized in the sense that people learn it outside Africa, just little less than Swahili
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by neohitler(m): 4:21pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Please help me out.
English?
Hia, in my sec sch, ppl that speak English because they were based outside igbo land, had the fewest friends and acquaintances
Educate that local Ape #sessegs.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 4:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
macof:

Hausa is second most spoken in African territories

Yoruba is second recognized in the sense that people learn it outside Africa, just little less than Swahili
You're wrong. Why don't you tell me why most International media outfits have Hausa as one of their broadcast language but not Yoruba or Igbo. Don't push it. Hausa is more widely spoken and more widely recognized.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Please help me out.
English?
The thing is, most of the recognized Igbos live outiside the east and because those in the east have not been able to sell themselves to the outside world, the ones who live outside Igboland are used as the parameter to judge Igbos. I used to belong to the school of thought that thought Igbo language was dying but i realized that i thought so because i was judging based on people that i encounter in Lagos and i don't think those people are a true reflection of Igbos. But that's not to say more and more people are refusing to speak and learn Igbo.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Xyge(m): 4:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
Freiburger: shocked shocked shocked This calls for some concern. But we 've got a federal Ministry that should be taking care of this.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Onyenna(m): 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
venous:
i di kwa sure?

Venous bụ kwa nwa-afor!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Onyenna(m): 4:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
venous:
i di kwa sure?

Venous bụ kwa nwa-afọ!
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Omila007: 4:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
sexkillzmother: no wonder my Igbo neighour's children preferring to speak Yoruba to Igbo here in Lagos. i dnt think Yoruba lang can fade away.

Children easily pick up the local language anywhere they grow up. While I was in enugu I had hausa neighbours whose children spoke igbo fluently. And all so spoke there native language.
Re: Nigeria's Disappearing Languages by Nimen(m): 4:45pm On Nov 14, 2013
Segeggs: how come we dont see them on shelves in places like idumota, alaba and even in alaigbo dat is pronounced aleegbo?

i hate ppl like you, you think you know something when you don't, comot your smelling self from my front

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13)

Pictures Of Calabar Carnival / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Fulani Siddika Sanusi's Bridal Shower (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.