Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,261 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? (18567 Views)

Poll: How would you rate Governor Fashola's performance so far?

Poor: 14% (28 votes)
Acceptable: 49% (95 votes)
Excellent: 36% (70 votes)
This poll has ended

What Has Gej Really Done For The South East / What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? / What Has Fashola Really Done? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by galatico(m): 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2008
He has really tried alot just take a look at the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) he provided for the masses. Awesome you may say? kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 1:40pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Kobojunkie please do enlighten, which points do you think are outstanding so that i can focus and see for myself because i fail to see these points?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Jul 17, 2008
Pepeye:

Well spoken Sky blue but you seem to be missing the point here, when we place city beautification side by side with healthcare, food, housing, job creation and so on there should be a scale of preference; l sincerely think that city beautification is secondary. Now let’s assume Fashola actually succeeds in turning the city into Paris- investors ain’t going to still come down when there is still high crime perpetuated by the displaced people.

Fashola should be advised to embark on wealth creation for Lagosians, and then beautification will easily come on with an empowered person. He ought to first delve into the root of the problem of Lagosians, One thing leads to the other; abject poverty obviously led to the squalor. Fashola should address the root of this problem, Let him stop chasing shadows, he should create value for the system, ensure that people-oriented programs are embarked upon; and then this his much-touted beautification exercise will naturally fall in place.

Of course no one is quarrelling with city beautification exercise, but just as Wole Soyinka posited; “A Tiger does not need to proclaim its Tigeritude!”

So much for his “Eko O ni Baje!” -That is not all, how is Fashola to address the crime rates of the displaced populace, bad roads, education, healthcare delivery.

Prioritization is the issue here. The question is what place does he have for the poor, and vulnerable in his state in the scheme of this beautification exercise. A lot of these people are yet still groaning under the weight this administration. What is Fashola’s blue print for their welfare and well being. Please l am yet to know of a good leader who made it without putting the people’s welfare and interest first.

Finally Sky Blue it is cronies like you who turn leaders into tyrants. Why get so easily swayed away by the pretentious moves of maverick politicians-

I don't believe anyone here is saying that Fashola has not been involved in beautification of Lagos. That can be given to him.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by tundebabzy: 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2008
Fashola might not have done the best he can do for Lagos but how can someone boldly say he has not done anything. Let's take the BRT for example, hundreds of drivers and conductors have been employed. People would also have to maintain the buses don't you think? Also LASA was created. Is LASA made up of tables and chairs? Of course not.LASA serves the purpose of beautifying Lagos and has also provided jobs. These are just a few of the things we have seen in action in Lagos. Meanwhile the flood in the island area of Lagos is nothing compared to what it has been in years past when there wasn't even as much rain as there is now,
People, stop beefing the man abeg. He is doing what he promised to do if he got voted in (even though it is possible that majority didn't vote him).
No governor in the whole country has been able to spark up such radical change like Fashola has accomplished. The man should be encouraged abeg
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 1:54pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Kobojunkie, so how do you know that people oriented programs are not been put in place? Is beautification the only thing going on in lagos? And the idea that if people have money they will go and build roads and plant trees is just quite amusing. I don't know if i really have to explain the importance of transportation and infrastructure, say you build a people oriented clinic for a community, how are the drugs going to be delivered, by camel? Job creation from where exactly, thing air? Aren't all the ventures mthat have been mentioned throughout the thread including those that haven't been mentioned creating jobs? Should the governor of the state now go and start building banks to hire people or should an environment that attracts business and hence provide job creation and hence wealth creation not be an important factor? Why must the self perpetuating cycle of spending money without actually putting anything solid on the ground be kseen as something good? MWho is going to work in the Energy city when it is done? Who is also going to work in the Eko atlantic city project if it is completed? Who is going to work in businesses and investment ventures that are going on in Lagos due to the international appeal and adevertising that the present governor has been spearheading? Is it not Lagosians?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by javalove(m): 2:03pm On Jul 17, 2008
I voted Jimi Agbaje but unfortunately, he didnt win.

Nevertheless, I cant be blind to the fact that Fashola has turned lagos around for good. If u follow the cries of pple sometimes, development no go happen. He's brave and intelligent. For anything to happen, lagosians need re-orientation and he's doing just that. The verage lagosin needs his/head turned around to think straight cos lagos don spoil tey tey.

Abegi, make we pray for this huy make all in efforts turn out productive oooooo.

And u said drainage, is dat d only problem in lagos.

@poster, i m sure u are one of those People Destrying People cheesy or u belong the People Destroying Party cheesy
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 2:04pm On Jul 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Kobojunkie, so how do you know that people oriented programs are not been put in place? Is beautification the only thing going on in lagos?
How many of those programs do you know of? Do share.
Sky Blue:

And the idea that if people have money they will go and build roads and plant trees is just quite amusing. I don't know if i really have to explain the importance of transportation and infrastructure, say you build a people oriented clinic for a community, how are the drugs going to be delivered, by camel? Job creation from where exactly, thing air?
Aren't all the ventures mthat have been mentioned throughout the thread including those that haven't been mentioned creating jobs? Should the governor of the state now go and start building banks to hire people or should an environment that attracts business and hence provide job creation and hence wealth creation not be an important factor? Why must the self perpetuating cycle of spending money without actually putting anything solid on the ground be kseen as something good?
For you, the solid is what Fashola is currently involved in but she makes a point when she says that it has to start at the root with poverty eradication programs.

Sky Blue:

MWho is going to work in the Energy city when it is done? Who is also going to work in the Eko atlantic city project if it is completed? Who is going to work in businesses and investment ventures that are going on in Lagos due to the international appeal and adevertising that the present governor has been spearheading? Is it not Lagosians?
You may not agree with her but she does make some good points. No one is denying beautification is happening but the main problem in Lagos, up to this date is the poor man not being able to get a break or employment. Far as I know, employment rate has not dropped by much in that states with all the developments you claim are geared towards creating jobs.

He has made quite a lot of progress in the beautification arena, but I have not heard or seen much of what he is doing in dealing with the problem that plagues majority of lagosians. As much as I am for beautification of Lagos, I can say that the problem with the poor needs to be dealt with to ensure progress in that state. He may have plans in the works but people are wondering why he did not start off with those from the beginning.

You can embark on beautifying the skidrow but if you do not deal first and foremost with the poverty problem, the people will suffer and progress made may be short-lived.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by lucabrasi(m): 2:06pm On Jul 17, 2008
@topic
and here we go again, so fashola  should create wealth with the same funds he is getting from the federal government and funds generated in lagos which is not even enough to sort out the problems being faced in lagos state,i dont understand we nigerians sometimes,on one hand you want him to sort the flooding out on the other hand you want him to create wealth for lagosians all within one year,if it was that easy why is employment rising in western world where things are supposedly perfect?? i would have though majority of the blame for wealth creation in a cosmopolitan city like lagos state would be jointly shared by the state and federal government ,bearing in mind lagos state attracts more people looking to "make it" from villagers all around nigeria,seems some people are basing their comments on the obviously flawed 2006 census, before jumping to conclusions go find out how much fashola gets from the government,how much roughly he generates internally and what projects he has in front of him,then check out the rough population of lagosians and then see how feasible it is for fashola to do all he is doing, his ongoing and future projects and then see where the money for wealth creating is coming from especially when the federal government is not assisting or giving him extra, pls stop with displaced priorities and face your president for problems bigger than a state governor, we are so used to corrupt and "carry go" "ebeano" kinds of governorship that any governor doing the right thing for a change is seen as alien or from another planet so should be thoroughly castigated      
folem:

Only AC apologists will boldy say Fashola has done well.

The type of flooding that the entire Lagos State is witnessing now shows that the "Progressive" Governments of the last 9 years have no clue about fixing the flood menace. It is certianly more important to fix roads and drainages than to plant grass and flowers (that will soon overgrow without proper maintenace) all over the state. The sand filling of Atlantic ocean is equally not a priority project since there is land at Epe, Badagry & Ikorodu to mention towns that also need development.

IMO Lagos State needs to be divided into 2 states for sustainable development all around the entire area.
do you realise the population of lagos state?
do you know that fashola has only been there for 1 YEAR?
do you realise that the flood problems has been there for upwards of 20 years or more??
do you see the changes fashola has done in about a year compared to toher state governors??
pls always get facts right before you guys crucify,when fashola was demolishing lean to s and what not these same nigerians were the one saying his government is heartless for being wicked and all sorts,
how come you are utterly focused on flowers rather than the rest of the stuffs the man has been doing?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by tall4real(m): 2:08pm On Jul 17, 2008
@pepeye
Skyblue just read my mind, shops that are illegal, before he came into power you could hardly walk the streets of Lagos without bumping into market women and their wares, there was no space to walk, besides the shops he broke down were illegal structures. To develop a state you have to step on toes, just like el-rufai, who restored the master plan of Abuja. If he didn’t do that the Abuja master plan will be destroyed. Do you want to tell me you do not know that private schools around are under standard? Someone will just come for nowhere and set-up a useless structure and call it a school.

@skyblue
God bless you. You have eyes and can see; you have a brain and can perceive what goes on in your environment. Do not mind people who cannot understand the plight of good governance

@folem
You say the filling of the Atlantic Ocean is not important. Some years ago when the bar beach over flowed it banks what was done. Now the man has an insight to foresee that the problem does not repeat itself. Anyway as they say you cannot satisfy everyone. Even JESUS CHRIST was considered a rebel what more a human being like Gov Fashola

@all
People saying that he is not tackling unemployment should take a look at the BRT, the buses do not drive themselves it needs drivers, conductors bus cleaners e.t.c. So tell me where they were gotten from. Is it not Employment?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by lucabrasi(m): 2:08pm On Jul 17, 2008
javalove:

I voted Jimi Agbaje but unfortunately, he didnt win.

Nevertheless, I can't be blind to the fact that Fashola has turned lagos around for good. If u follow the cries of people sometimes, development no go happen. He's brave and intelligent. For anything to happen, lagosians need re-orientation and he's doing just that. The verage lagosin needs his/head turned around to think straight because lagos don spoil tey tey.

Abegi, make we pray for this huy make all in efforts turn out productive oooooo.

And u said drainage, is that d only problem in lagos.

@poster, i m sure u are one of those People Destrying People cheesy or u belong the People Destroying Party cheesy
i wonder too o,
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by GoldCircle: 2:14pm On Jul 17, 2008
na wa oh! who started this irrelevant thread!!! Yes! dats wat i call it! where were u when Lucky Igbinedion was ruling Edo state or Saminu turaki of Jigawa or even the big mouthed orji uzor kalu Why didnt you start a thread for either of them here to assess them?? Now you see person wey dey try small small u wan crucify am! i dont even know if you stay in lagos, but i can tell you there is some level of security now in lagos compared to last year! Were you in lagos last december?? I mean, although we aren't there yet, but there's been some level of improvement! C'mon, lets give BRF some credit while constructively criticizing him!

He's just spent only 400 days in office for pete's sake!
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by dayokanu(m): 2:15pm On Jul 17, 2008
He is destroying illegal structures and people are complaining.

He is destroying street trading which cause traffic congesting and expose people to avoidable accidents yet we are complaining.

He is constructing/ renovating several road we are complaining.

He is not creating wealth? SHould he start distributing money round to know he is creating wealth?

Anyone who wants to criticise Fashola should please tell us his/her state of Origin and tell us what his/her governor has achieved in the last 1 year
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 2:16pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Kobojunkie, when you say unemployment rate has not dropped are you actually taking into account that a lot of people are still immigrating to lagos? You keep on mentioning employment and i keep asking whether all these ventures are not creating employment and hence wealth. I hope you do realise that with regards to employment although the government can do a lot there is a limit to which this government can do unless you want Nigeria to run a society where the government is in control of every single thing. So if employment can be mainly effectively tackled by investment from the private sector then what can the government do to address this and improve it? If it is not to create an kenvironment which attracts this then i don't know what else. What about the micro finance initiatives that have been spearkeaded by the current government which aims to provide loans for lower scale businesses so that such ventures can be kick started hence making it a reality that people with lower incomes can actually also invest and hence have an opportunity at this "wealth creation"?

Of course a radical impact might not be felt immediately because projects like Lagos Energy city, and Eko atlantic city are still ongoing and not yet completed. I am not even in lagos or a lagosian and yet even i can see these things.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 2:17pm On Jul 17, 2008
Do you all really need to ATTACK those who do not see him as the MESSIAH?? JEEEZZZ people, grow up!!!!
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by tinto(m): 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2008
Well, the man is trying we don't expect him to get every thing right instantly, So for me has done something and will do more
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 2:25pm On Jul 17, 2008
LOL, @Kobojunkie please who is that addressed to because speaking for myself i don't see Fashola as a messiah and i don't believe i have attacked you. I also don't see this misplaced priority that warrants rubbishing what is being done by the poster and such has been discussed. We don't have to always agree, that is fine. Have a nice day  smiley
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Godalone(m): 2:27pm On Jul 17, 2008
All i know is that even a blind person will know that this guy is trying.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Jul 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Kobojunkie, when you say unemployment rate has not dropped are you actually taking into account that a lot of people are still immigrating to lagos?
In the last year, Lagos has yet to register claims that population has increased over the norm. People enter and leave Lagos on a daily basis. The Unemployment rate has not been affected by much in the past year or two.

Sky Blue:

You keep on mentioning employment and i keep asking whether all these ventures are not creating employment and hence wealth. I hope you do realise that with regards to employment although the government can do a lot there is a limit to which this government can do unless you want Nigeria to run a society where the government is in control of every single thing.
Government does not have to control every single thing to help impact employment in any state.
Sky Blue:

So if employment can be mainly effectively tackled by investment from the private sector then what can the government do to address this and improve it? If it is not to create an kenvironment which attracts this then i don't know what else.
For an environment to attract businesses, it also has to have a skilled work force to help build those businesses. Oil areas in Nigeria attract businesses but notice at the end of the day, these companies go to foreign areas to find the skills they need to build these businesses. At the end of the day, the local unemployment rate likely remains same even with big businesses in the area.
Sky Blue:

What about the micro finance initiatives that have been spearkeaded by the current government which aims to provide loans for lower scale businesses so that such ventures can be kick started hence making it a reality that people with lower incomes can actually also invest and hence have an opportunity at this "wealth creation"?.
Providing loans to lower scale businesses is one thing but what about the poor people who make up the majority of the population in Lagos??
Sky Blue:

Of course a radical impact might not be felt immediately because projects like Lagos Energy city, and Eko atlantic city are still ongoing and not yet completed. I am not even in lagos or a lagosian and yet even i can see these things.

I am a Lagosian, have been for over 30 years. I have seen beautification projects after the other and I can say that this man is doing well but @pepeye has a point. In all I have seen in Lagos, not many have actually embarked on dealing with the poor as part of the main plan and that has mainly contributed to the failure of past beautification projects. I don’t believe she is saying that Fashola is not doing a good job. I mean in a period of one year, he has even outdone Mudashiru, if I can say that, but at the end of the day, poverty needs to be dealt with.

PS: the post before this was not to you but to the many other contributors who have resorted to insulting those who do not see the man as a messiah, like they seem to. I hate the way some Nigerians easily turn to worshipping these leaders and become blind to reason when they need it most.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by ziga: 2:30pm On Jul 17, 2008
[/quote]Pepeye I can not agree less with you, Government all over the world is about people and people alone. His intentions might be right but like you said his priority is misplaced. So much bravado little impact. Bulldozers has taken over from fire that ravaged markets in Lagos, now it is bulldozer all over the place with a claim that those buildings were illegally constructed.  [quote]

Speaking about the floods and demolishing

Flooding, a lot of times has to do with poor planning, a problem that has been present for ages, Lots of houses in Lagos have been built along drainage routes, And these houses ought to be removed.
Putting up markets in wrong places, and the huge amount of improperly disposed waste ( i know we will also blame the government for this but when will we stop throwing thrash in the streets and gutters)

Generally in life, you have to destroy in order to create.

It will take a giant to move Lagos forward by an inch, BRF has already move 3 inches forward.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Carlosein(m): 2:30pm On Jul 17, 2008
Fashola has not done anything

Do you leave in lagos at all

imho, the flowers and trees translate to better living and that suits me just fine.

i get greetings from ticket vendors when i  board brt bus as opposed to some smelling, shirtless molue or danfo conductor, i am happy.

those guys and girls in the brt office who clean and punch tickets b4 u board are they not employed?

i don't consider fashola to be a messiah but please the man dey try. NOTHING!! HABA!!!
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Godalone(m): 2:32pm On Jul 17, 2008
Fashola is not the messiah of Lagos state and he will never be because being a Messiah is beyond mortal body,but as far as Lagos state is concern he has done very well.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 2:34pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Kobojunkie, fine we all agree poverty needs to be dealt with but on the other hand i believe with current actions such is being addressed with the job creation that i speak of and attracting foreign investments which is still going on, as well as projects which when copmpleted will create large scale employment which can then be radically felt. What i don't get is why you seem to speak as if all that has been going on in Lagos has been beatification and planting of trees which is simply not true, so why allude to such? Education is important yet some posts on this thread so it fit to lambast the closing of illegal schools that even lacked proper teachers. And meanwhile free education has been on the cards and is hopefully going to be a reality soon. Has this even been mentioned? It just seems that people are going out of their way to ignore everything to prove some sort of a point and sorry but i won't jump on that train.

P.S. nobody here has given me the impression of worshipping Fashola, rather it just seems as seeing a good thing and not being able to reconcile such initiallly blind and what seems as completely unobjective rubbishing to what is actually being done.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Carlosein(m): 2:38pm On Jul 17, 2008
Kobojunkie:

In the last year, Lagos has yet to register claims that population has increased over the norm. People enter and leave Lagos on a daily basis. The Unemployment rate has not been affected by much in the past year or two.
[b]Government does not have to control every single thing to help impact employment in any state. For an environment to attract businesses, it also has to have a skilled work force to help build those businesses. Oil areas in Nigeria attract businesses but notice at the end of the day, these companies go to foreign areas to find the skills they need to build these businesses. At the end of the day, the local unemployment rate likely remains same even with big businesses in the area.Providing loans to lower scale businesses is one thing but what about the poor people who make up the majority of the population in Lagos??[/b]I am a Lagosian, have been for over 30 years. I have seen beautification projects after the other and I can say that this man is doing well but @pepeye has a point. In all I have seen in Lagos, not many have actually embarked on dealing with the poor as part of the main plan and that has mainly contributed to the failure of past beautification projects. I don’t believe she is saying that Fashola is not doing a good job. I mean in a period of one year, he has even outdone Mudashiru, if I can say that, but at the end of the day, poverty needs to be dealt with.

in order for it to be otherwise, indigenes should try and acquire the necessary skill and build their cvs such that they can be noticed and employed.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by quadrillio(m): 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
Our problem is adapting to change

If u really want to say something a fash, then start by saying what am I doing the right thing

if the road is cleared and everywhere is looking tight u will be proud to tell others about ur area,
the different btw AJ and AJAH is the setting of the place. mind u, there are rich people in both places.

he's jus trying to brigde the gap and give everybody a sense of belonging
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Jul 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Kobojunkie, fine we all agree poverty needs to be dealt with but on the other hand i believe with current actions such is being addressed with the job creation that i speak of and attracting foreign investments which is still going on, as well as projects which when copmpleted will create large scale employment which can then be radically felt.
It is possible that when these are completed, the jobs will go to foreigners and not lagosians due to lack if skills as well. Educating the people has to happen even as the project is in progress, don’t you think?
Sky Blue:

What i don't get is why you seem to speak as if all that has been going on in Lagos has been beatification and planting of trees which is simply not true, so why allude to such?
What I am saying is most of it happens to be beautification, as in superficial, not really impacting the poor people in the state much? If my priority is getting a job and fending for my family, do you think not think good roads will come off as nothing more than beautification to me?

Sky Blue:

Education is important yet some posts on this thread so it fit to lambast the closing of illegal schools that even lacked proper teachers. And meanwhile free education has been on the cards and is hopefully going to be a reality soon. Has this even been mentioned? It just seems that people are going out of their way to ignore everything to prove some sort of a point and sorry but i won't jump on that train.
I don’t think she was trying to prove anything but simply state that she is frustrated at how all the ‘good’ the government has been working on does not seem to be changing things for the average lagosian. If you ask me, free education should be top on the list. Here is a fear I have for lagos. I am afraid the governor will succeed in attracting big businesses from all around the world and at the end of the day, most of those jobs will end in the hands of non-lagosians. Look at portharcourt. I happen to believe that the welfare of the people should be at the top of the list and education should be a plan for now and not for future.
Just cause some are not mightily impressed as others are does not mean the man is doing a terrible job. Like I mentioned before, Fashola is not the first to try such plans in Lagos, we have had so many good governors in the past who have done really good jobs but as you can see, many of those plans have ended up in the dust because most all did not deal with the base problems as well. I lived through mudashiru and I can tell you for a fact that the man did a great job as well when it comes to beautification and attracting of investors but the majority of those jobs ended up in the hands of foreigners who migrated to Lagos. Lead to population increase but unemployment with the locals did not change much.

Kicking over 300 thousands street traders, most of whom have next to no education off the streets and then creating 1000 jobs is not really going to change things for the poor much, you know. Bringing in large industries into a place with more people with next to no skills does not work either. Training programs would be nice.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by TheSly: 2:54pm On Jul 17, 2008
No doubt. . . . . . . . .Fashola is one of the best Governors in Nigeria at present. cool
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by ukukaegbu(m): 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2008
hi, what of nairalandars that haven't been to lagos?
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by lucabrasi(m): 2:59pm On Jul 17, 2008
ziga:

Speaking about the floods and demolishing

Flooding, a lot of times has to do with poor planning, a problem that has been present for ages, Lots of houses in Lagos have been built along drainage routes, And these houses ought to be removed.
Putting up markets in wrong places, and the huge amount of improperly disposed waste ( i know we will also blame the government for this but when will we stop throwing thrash in the streets and gutters)

Generally in life, you have to destroy in order to create.

It will take a giant to move Lagos forward by an inch, BRF has already move 3 inches forward.

whoever you are GOD bless you extra today for this comment,
rather than looking at the problem in its entirety,its always easier for nigerians to jump on the blame bandwagon because its easier,when  war against indiscipline started with idiagbon,this is how nigerians were crucifying the man as being wicked and all sorts we can blame fashola for the drainage but what are the attitude of the average nigerian to dirt,pure water nylons e.t.c
maybe they want fashola to wave a magic wand and then make lagos be like central london or fifth avenue, hate to burst your bubles but fairies and magic wands are not real abeg!!
thank GOD, NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA ARE IN AGREEMENT THAT FASHOLA IS DOING A GOOD JOB!!
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 3:04pm On Jul 17, 2008
@Kobojunkie you speak as if all the efforts are being expended on beautification which is not true. Most of the effort is not being expended on beautification it is just that beautification is the most obvious one at present. Have you gone through the projects actually being undertaken? Just out of interest. I named the biggest two i know which are energy city and eko atlantic city and there are more. So are those beautification projects? Can you imagine what is required to make such huge projects a sucess? So is it now fair to say that most of the effort is being expended on beautification projects?
With regards to free education, that is something that is if you believe reports being worked on. Considering the fact that this governor is addressing kssues he said he would address during election speeches i have no reason to be so quick to doubt him.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Emperoh(m): 3:06pm On Jul 17, 2008
folks,
i have no intention of insulting anyone but i wish to say that, if as an outsider, i am to judge Fashola by the arguments so far posted,
I will say Fashola has done good and even Very Good. Those in opposition have not pinned something down on him.
I mean juxtapose what he has donewith what Lagos was before his ascension to office with what he has done and what outght to be done
Do the calculation and give me the reply.

On the other hand, I think he has done well. Though not exceptionally but enough to say that he is keeping to his campaign promises
He is the second Governor to do so. The first is the cat with Nine lives in Anambra Peter Obi.

To a large extent, we are the causes of the problem that we are accusing fashola of not solving.
who blocked the drainages? WHo built on sewer lines and sold lands that where to take care of water coming from the city into the atlantic ocean. The water that are now blocking our streets when it rains. We throw cellophane and nylon bags, peels and rubbish garbage on water ways and gutters.
All the canals are blocked. He is now trying to open them. Check the one at Iganmu and the one at Coker. Work is gradually going on on them

Nigerian are soo industrious and will take no time in snapping every available space to trade. Poverty has not helped matters.
The Agege Motor, though a Federa High way, has been taken over by street trading and indiscriminate bus driving
CHeck the oshodi end of Apapa Oshodi express to mention a few.

Is it road construction, go to Olodi Apapa, Amuwo Odofin. Ikoyi, V.I, Ozumba Mbadiwe to menton but a few.
Youth empowerment thru Sports, reorientating our values, traffic decongestion, natural environmental recreation.

As for job creation, lets use past experiences to learn. I don't know which telecom company would have provided jobs like te CELTELS and MTNs without
operating in a 'conducive' environment. This guy mind u are working on a less then normal environment. Think of what it will b e likle if Lagos becomes lik Malaysia. Whic is according to him (fashola) what he is working towards.

Guys before u post eject that mindset of yoursd
He is doing well. though not excellent.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by debosky(m): 3:23pm On Jul 17, 2008
I think the beautification thing has now become the scapegoat for everything else wrong with Lagos - Don't tackle the egregious nature of public spaces in Lagos, fix everything first before that can be done, right?

First of all, if we had some concrete information as to how much time/money was being devoted into the beautification projects vis a vis other more pressing needs, then we would be able to make some reasonable conclusions.

Now to simply state that a couple of things have gone wrong or not benefited the poor people and use that as a justification to say the governor has not performed is wrong in my view.

As Luca clearly stated, state resources are highly limited, coupled with the copious migration into the state on a daily basis. The truth is, Lagos is growing by the minute, far more people are coming in than going out, so it may be very difficult to put a dent in the unemployment figures.

Another thing to note is this - Lagos is carrying out many paradigm shifting development projects - the energy city, eko atlantic developments among others, which will, in the long run, create many jobs. I don't buy the argument that the people being driven off the streets should not be driven off, or that they must all be given training first.

As long as people believe they can get these kinds of opportunities to trade and otherwise without any fees or levies or control, they will continue to stream into Lagos uninhibited. When these people realise that such opportunities do not exist anymore, they will return to their states and make a living there. Lagos has finite resources, you cannot allow people to come in and do whatever, or provide endless training to everyone - that will simply foster more untoward migration.

Fashola is carrying out his campaign promises and working towards achieving what was promised. He isn't perfect, not by a long shot, has not achieved everything possible; but to make selective criticisms without evaluating the whole sum of what he has done is doing both him and Lagosians a disservice.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by ehie007(m): 3:29pm On Jul 17, 2008
fashola has done fair, but more important work needs to be done, the heavy rain that fell three days ago shows he still got a long way to go. and he needs to reach out to the real surburb area like Agege, Mushin, Abulu-egba area, alimoso, and the likes, for what i see its only area like the island and yaba and ikeja, ikorodu  that are just benefiting from the beautification, lets wait and see till next year before i fully judge him.

the roads are still bad, transportation is still terrible, but lets still give him some time before we completely judge him.

and besides not all blame should go to the govt, we the people should look inwards, there are still lots of lagosians that still disobey the laws of lagos.
most of the flooding are caused by the citizens themselves, throwing garbage into the gutters and wait for govt to come help them clean up,

we need to support the govt. to make things move faster as we all want it to be,

eko oni baje oh!!!! wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

History Lessons: Who Was The Minister That Drank 42cups Of Tea? / EFCC Storms Okupe’s Home / EndSARS: Governor Okowa To Police 'Allow People To Express Themselves'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.