Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:45 AM

Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? (18587 Views)

Poll: How would you rate Governor Fashola's performance so far?

Poor: 14% (28 votes)
Acceptable: 49% (95 votes)
Excellent: 36% (70 votes)
This poll has ended

What Has Gej Really Done For The South East / What Exactly Has Fashola Done In Lagos? / What Has Fashola Really Done? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Jul 17, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Kobojunkie you speak as if all the efforts are being expended on beautification which is not true. Most of the effort is not being expended on beautification it is just that beautification is the most obvious one at present. Have you gone through the projects actually being undertaken?
I never posted that ALL EFFORTS are being expended on beautification projects, I simply agreed with @Pepeye that progress when it comes to issues affecting the ordinary lagosian is coming on really slow in the state.  From what I understand she is saying that those do not seem to be high on the priority list right now. I have gone through the projects actually undertaken and if you think about it too, you would see that she does have a point there and your statements also point to that being the case as well.

Sky Blue:

Just out of interest. I named the biggest two i know which are energy city and eko atlantic city and there are more. So are those beautification projects? Can you imagine what is required to make such huge projects a sucess? So is it now fair to say that most of the effort is being expended on beautification projects?

To the average lagosian who is without job and without training or access to employment, yes they are.

Sky Blue:

With regards to free education, that is something that is if you believe reports being worked on. Considering the fact that this governor is addressing kssues he said he would address during election speeches i have no reason to be so quick to doubt him.

Look, up to this point, I have repeated myself over and over now. It is not that the man is not trying  hard, it is just that when you consider the average person who is jobless and in need of employment, all those mighty projects mean little in the end to them and that is what @pepeye is trying to point out, as I guess she is.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by fyneguy: 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
Kobojunkie and pepeye

Can you specifically mention what Fashola should do to create jobs for the poor? Please note that you should be specific.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 3:42pm On Jul 17, 2008
fyneguy:

Kobojunkie and pepeye

Can you specifically mention what Fashola should do to create jobs for the poor? Please note that you should be specific.

Go back and read all my posts so far to get an idea.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by madejibo: 4:33pm On Jul 17, 2008
hmmm, fashola if i shld talk people dat know me ll say i am biased. as a driver if you drive your car on the right side of the road is it worth comendation? look at the whole environment of lagos fashola has just done one tenth of wat we expect him to do. my brother ans sisters if yaradua does not tackle power wahala(nepa or Phcn) then i dont feel he has done anything so also if fashola has not tackled roads, shelter,water healthcare, then he hasnt done shit. what is the achievements he has got in the area of housin, roads, healthcare. please i want response. the brt project was not is iniatiatve it was tinubus and to me it is not really worth it but it is ok if it ll employ pple but to me it has not solve anything.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by redsun(m): 4:41pm On Jul 17, 2008
This is lagos,a mega slum.Lagos needs a whole lot of work for it to be habitable,alot rehabilitations,resettlements and proper town planning.I feel sorry  for people that prefer lagos to numerous villages and quite sparcely populated towns in nigeria,especially this time that communication is at every privates and harry's finger tips,you don't need to live in lagos to function in nigeria,like most people think.Be a farmer,be something else that you can control and make a sustainable living.

Lagos is one dangerous city,health and crime hazards,due to over population and lack of present and unforseeable future town planning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgb1BdPBZo
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by eudio(f): 4:47pm On Jul 17, 2008
u can never satisfy everybody, so dont even try cool
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by teetee2(f): 5:15pm On Jul 17, 2008
Fash is really trying but we lagosian need to change our attitude, some of us wud eat gala, drink wotsover and throw throu window.  Public buses should be implored to put thrash can inside their vehicles to avoid this habit, at least this would save our drainage from blockage. Let us preach sanity from this forum to make Lagos a 'Mega City' and appreciate Fashola for the spirit of boldness to make market women stay away from the road, those women dont value their life especially Oshodi.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Raimond(m): 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2008
He`ll be okay the day he`s able to lick up the flood in the city grin
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by gidig(m): 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2008
First, I did not really support Fashola during the election. Like most of my colleagues, I voted for Jimi Agbaje but I must say that I have been impressed with Fashola's performance in lagso thus far, given the limitation the state faces in terms of funding when compared with a place like Abuja for example. I think Fashola is only making the best use of the resources that is available to the government.I totally agree with the concept of beautifying our environment that the Lagos State govt is engaged in.

The BRT has to be the other plus. because of the State vs Federal roads wahala, the scheme was almost delayed. I did not know it was going to be this successful. Even when it started, I had my reservations but one day, I took the bus from TBS to surulere and sat beside an old man who was telling his friend how the bus has helped him during that fuel scarcity period, as there was no change in bus fare.

Our responsibility is to keep the govt on its toes so they do not go into the over celebration madness that all levels of governments are known for.

While we are talking about  infrastructure, it is instructive to ask how many people outside the formal sector- where monthly deductions are made- actually pay their taxes that will enable the govt fund the infrastructure we all need so much.

The fundamental challenge that Lagos faces is also that of derivation, where the state cant even draw from the huge VAT gotten from corporations. This is the tragedy of Nigeria. Lagos should be given a special status because of her human population and strategic economic position. If the PDP government is focused on the people who live there rather than 'capturing the state' during elections, much of the challenges can be dealt with progressively.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Jul 17, 2008
gidig:

Our responsibility is to keep the govt on its toes so they do not go into the over celebration madness that all levels of governments are known for.

This statement in bold basically sums up my idea on how best to deal with and approach development and progress in Nigeria. Not just over celebration in government, but within the population.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Wokeyim(f): 5:46pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ Post
Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State?

That's like asking "Has YarÁdua done anything in Nigeria?"
sucks
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by lucabrasi(m): 5:49pm On Jul 17, 2008
gidig:

While we are talking about infrastructure, it is instructive to ask how many people outside the formal sector- where monthly deductions are made- actually pay their taxes that will enable the govt fund the infrastructure we all need so much.

The fundamental challenge that Lagos faces is also that of derivation, where the state can't even draw from the huge VAT gotten from corporations. This is the tragedy of Nigeria. Lagos should be given a special status because of her human population and strategic economic position. If the PDP government is focused on the people who live there rather than 'capturing the state' during elections, much of the challenges can be dealt with progressively.

spot on,thats it right there
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by gongoaso1: 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2008
wonder why we (note the we) have myopic views and always refuse to see the larger picture. Rainfall isnt an act of man. and so one day, rain fell and the floods overran lagos. Coming from a comparison angle, was there anything the governments of the tsunami-affected countries in the east could have done to prevent the tsunami? Fashola isnt a superman, i mean this flood problem is almost synominous with lagos being a coastal city. The same poster that is hallaering fashola is destroying shops built on drainages and other wrong areas will still blab about lagos being flooded as a result of these same shops.
I want to put it to the poster and other myopic individuals, Asumme you won the 2007 elections in lagos, what would you have done in a spate of 1year to see that what happened at falomo and other areas of lagos would have never happened angry
common people, the man don try haba smiley
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by U1(m): 6:40pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ poster

I'm sorry to say this, blame yourself not Fashola. Has he not been fixing roads? I know a few which he has done already but flooding keeps spoiling them. Now, who do we blame for that? The people who throw dirts indiscriminately around town are responsible for that and they'd still be the same people complaining. Shame!
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by U1(m): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2008
Wokeyim:

@ Post
Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State?

That's like asking "Has YarÁdua done anything in Nigeria?"
sucks

No, it's not! I've seen something done by Fashola, but none from Yaradua from this end.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by gongoaso1: 7:06pm On Jul 17, 2008
gongo aso:

I want to put it to the poster and other myopic individuals, Asumme you won the 2007 elections in lagos, what would you have done in a spate of 1year to see that what happened at falomo and other areas of lagos would have never happened angry
common people, the man don try haba smiley
@poster, still waiting for an answer.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by felixdodo: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2008
Fashola, has done well for now because he has not spend up 4 yrs in office.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by xammy(m): 8:13pm On Jul 17, 2008
u must be blind not to see what THE FASH has done. I'm still waiting the GOV. beat him
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by rasputinn(m): 8:56pm On Jul 17, 2008
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by la1(m): 8:59pm On Jul 17, 2008
i confess that  i cant join in this debate and remain emotionally unattached and completely objective so i'll sit this one out , but to insinuate that the governor has done nothing is ABSOLUTELY LUDACRIS, absolutely,
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by davidif: 10:16pm On Jul 17, 2008
He might be trying but he still has a long way to go. What he should do is to depopulate the urban areas and he should do it by installing property taxes to deter people from settling in the city. For example, a $17000 minimum tax on all residents plus any additional percentage depending on your economic class (e.g 17,000 + 28% of income of tax per acre of land you own)would make people flee the city and resettle in the rural areas and the revenue would be used to transform the city to Dubai or Berne and make LASU and LAUTECH the next MIT, or Caltech.

He also need to develop the rural areas and the best way to do that is to invest in agriculture and tax the farmers to use the money to develop the rural areas by creating free education and free healthcare (people in the 21st century should not be dying of typhoid or malaria), then he should create a sophisticated transportation system. He should lead a state led industrialization drive in the rural areas by creating food processing plants and other light industries like textile factories in the rural areas, this would create jobs so that that all those guys who have gone to the city to look for work and ended up becoming agberos and ashewos to make ends meet would now come back home.

This how a city should look like.

Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by davidif: 10:21pm On Jul 17, 2008
, or this

Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by davidif: 10:23pm On Jul 17, 2008
and the roads should look like this

Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by 2sleek2NV(m): 11:39pm On Jul 17, 2008
@ DAVIDIF
nice pix u av here but dis wasnt done in a year, it took sustained devt to get there.
Fashola is working on a DECAYED lagos of over 20yrs and we all expect it happens in 1yr? HELL NO,
we are all complaining bout flood,we all need re-orienation bout this, we stil throw dirts on d road. During d flood of 3days ago, we say so many pure water satches, weavon and cut pieces od clothes swimming in d flood, na FASH put them there? if u pass thru ASWANI market after their tuesday market,u will be surprised @ D amount of dirt on d road cos they dont sweep it.all d dirt goes into d drainage and it blocks it.
sum1 mentioned mushin as not being in fasholas plan, i believe u knw dat those pple are PIGS fashola was there during d rain last year and WALKED ind dirty water,he told dem he wuld clear d drainage (which he did) and leaded wit dem not to fill it wit dirts again,we are back to square 1 cos d place is filled wit dirt and wat follows? FLOOD

As 4 accomodation and deconjesting d city, i knw that fashola has told all estate developers in d state to come forward and pick part of the lagos suburbs they would develop and build houses wit good facilities. I CANT GIV FULL DETAILS, WIL LOOK 4 D PAPER AND POST HERE.

we are complaining bout flowers, most od d roads dat used to b very bushy houesd robbers @ nite who attack commuters on d road. now dat d medians are clear, u can see ur enviroment even @ nite,

In summary, d guy has TRIED and we shld all comend n no destroy wat he has don in lass dan a year
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by blacksta(m): 11:53pm On Jul 17, 2008
I was is Lagos this April quite frankly saw a lot of thingable improvements but was upset as i believe the efforts by his governement is some how misplaced . I would rather concentrate on more important isuses such as housing, good roads, education and effective drainage system rather than spend billions on some beautification projects that only amounts to about 10% of the whole of Lagos
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by tpia: 1:11am On Jul 18, 2008
teetee2:

Fash is really trying but we lagosian need to change our attitude, some of us would eat gala, drink wotsover and throw throu window.  Public buses should be implored to put thrash can inside their vehicles to avoid this habit, at least this would save our drainage from blockage. Let us preach sanity from this forum to make Lagos a 'Mega City' and appreciate Fashola for the spirit of boldness to make market women stay away from the road, those women don't value their life especially Oshodi.

thank you oh.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by gidig(m): 9:32am On Jul 18, 2008
Since we are posting pictures. How about we begin to post our tax certificates, cos that is what help built those cities o!
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by joshu5: 10:01am On Jul 18, 2008
In my opinon so good so far but there is still a lot of work to be done but lets see after 4years then we can give a true assement of his performance, but there is the need for his government to create more people based policy insted of just concerntrating on making lagos state a mega city alone.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by SkyBlue1: 10:20am On Jul 18, 2008
One of the sectors the administration reports to be also focusing on is the issue of collecting tax and i think that is a good idea. The city is simply too congested at the moment, a situation that can be accomodated by investing in building vertically as well as taxation which can become a means of generating revenue and hopefully even control population by serving as a deterence. But the problem remains Nigeria. If the rest of the states continue to allow their so called "leaders" just rob from them and steal and hence stifle development in those respective states and cities then of course people will continue to swarm the very few places that are being developed. We all say the main cities are Lagos Abuja and Port Harcourt but to be honest port harcourt is not seeing any action what so ever due to a history of bad governance (mainly odili) so the only major cities seeing development seem to be Lagos and Abuja and to a lesser extent calabar. This just won't do in a country with such a population. The development should be spread and before anyone brings up any rationing rubbish you can't blame the governor of a state for doing his job.

The federal government should give assistance if it can to enable the development of cities like Port Harcourt, Calabar, Kano, Ibadan so that not everybody would want to rush to lagos. The infrastructure is already being stretched and much more are coming. At the end of the day the problem remains bad governance on the path of a majority of states and hence the lagos population situation just serves as a lens into the Nigerian developmental situation. Other states should call their "leaders" to order and i see no reason why there can't be a wider spread in development in Nigeria.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by Alapomeji1: 10:23am On Jul 18, 2008
Pepeye/kokobunje

I have carefully read thru ur posts b4 d arguement with sky blue and i must say u guys r right n all sense and equally sky blue.

U guys r trying to make a sense dat jobs shuld be created to eradicate poverty and so , on rit?

But have u guys looked at the oda side of the coin in terms of the project dat as been embarked on, as also created jobs for THOSE dat want to WORK?
the diff agencies dat as been created, pple have gotten jobs there because they r willing to work n change their lifes 4 d beta, while u n i knw dat quite a number r just bent on being lazy, miscriants, n finally become thiefs/robbers n cause insecurity for the citizens. i am a withness to two bad guys in this state dats as changed thier lifes just by seeking n findinga job with LASTMA. there r several pple like this dat odas will knw as well.

see there is no amount of job dat is being created dat can totally reduce the number of pple living in poverty, cos some r just bent on being lazy n dellight in just stealing.
enough on this.

Now lets talk abt wat he has done n soo , on

U guyz equally r like u cant really see wat he has done just like the starter of this thread cos he as not done something dat will really touch n blow ur mind away abi? (my own opinion) but look at the oda side of the coin again. wat he as done so far, has any guv in the history of lagos done 1/10 of this even the so called enemy of baba(Bola Ahmed Tinubu) apart from the road rehabilitaion done in the last year of his tenure on Lagos Island. but here is a guv with a difference dat sees things from the future perspective. i give him kudos.

The question here is dis from all u both ve said on oda areas like health etc, how r u sure he does not have plans or he is not doing anything in respect to this? just a qtion.

or is your arguement based on the fact dat because u ve not seen, den u can assume? hum!

Sky blue, thanks for the info, i never knw the reclaiming of land was for the energy project. this tells me something again dat this gov is a forward thinkn n action oriented person. Atleast he makes plans n follows with action.

From all that he as done n is still doing, wat i noticed is dat work is always on the continuing basis no stop until it is accomplised.
i once heard from someone close to the lagos state officials, dat dey always complain abt this gov(Fashola) dat there is to much work, he loads them with work everyday n ask dem for feedback/report every 21 days. waoh! wat does dat tells u? to me dat the system as always been built on lazyness n stealing  but he is bent on changing that.
not saying there wont be loop holes still.

But i think this guy shuld be commended on his, courage,tenacity n vision.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by dayokanu(m): 11:39am On Jul 18, 2008
hmmm, fashola if i shld talk people that know me ll say i am biased. as a driver if you drive your car on the right side of the road is it worth comendation? look at the whole environment of lagos fashola has just done one tenth of what we expect him to do. my brother ans sisters if yaradua does not tackle power wahala(nepa or Phcn) then i don't feel he has done anything so also if fashola has not tackled roads, shelter,water healthcare, then he hasnt done shit. what is the achievements he has got in the area of housin, roads, healthcare. please i want response. the brt project was not is iniatiatve it was tinubus and to me it is not really worth it but it is ok if it ll employ people but to me it has not solve anything.

@madejibo,

You this Koro Supporter again!!!! How can anyone sane person support Koro who is a fraudster even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Hope you have not forgotten the 1 million Naira you are owing me?

if yaradua does not tackle power wahala(nepa or Phcn) then i don't feel he has done anything so also if fashola has not tackled roads, shelter,water healthcare, then he hasnt done shit. what is the achievements he has got in the area of housin, roads, healthcare

This is the most senseless post that i have ever read Yar Adua should tackle NEPA only while Fashola should tackle all the problems in the world. including Global warming and wild fire. Any sense in that?

If you cant see anything he has done. You can jump into the Lagoon.
Re: Has Fashola Really Done Anything In Lagos State? by obitobe: 1:24pm On Jul 18, 2008
@poster
sorry to ask are you blind or do you stay in Lagos at all.take a look around you and see what Fashola has done in his regime.take a trip to VI,Ikorodu road,iba road,Ago palace way to festac and more and see what he has been doing and lots more that is coming.i have never seen a governor that is working the way fashola is working.ACEko o ni baje ooo
Guy open your eyes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Execution Of Notorious Nigerian Robber ‘doctor’ Ishola Oyenusi On Sept 8th 1971 / Ugonna Ozuruigbo Donates House To Physically Challenged Man (Photos) / The Story Of Col Frank Omenka, The Butcher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.