Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,528 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Marriage Proposal Without A Ring - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage Proposal Without A Ring (25542 Views)

This Lady Did All These To Her Man And Still Got A Ring! (photo) / Marriage proposal that Sent A Lady under the table (Photos, Video) / Pictures &Video:See The Marriage Proposal That Got A Lady Rolling On The Floor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:11am On Nov 18, 2013
jay bee:

Oga mynd, that's the angle that i'm trying to get uj sizzle to view it from as well hence my question.

Okay
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:12am On Nov 18, 2013
babe4chi: Sexkilz,tank u jare!

Necklace sha! Ohhhhhh! Chineka nna!!!
what does the ring do for you? Answer wisely ooo
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by babe4chi(f): 10:17am On Nov 18, 2013
Wearing d ring means I'm engaged to be married to a particular person! Wen people see it,they knw I'm taken!

But if u giv me a necklace,and smone else comes for me nd I tell him I'm engaged,showin him d necklace on my neck! What do u think wil be on his mind?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:18am On Nov 18, 2013
jay bee:
Phew, thanks for seeing my question for what it was really.

Here is another question, so if a ring is meant to be a sign of commitment and commitment is meant to be between 2 couples in love so why then must the ring be given to the woman alone?

It's still tradition. The same reason why some cultures have the man paying a bride price and others have a woman paying dowry.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Danhumprey: 10:20am On Nov 18, 2013
HisRib:

I can't believe this man proposed without a ring. Who does that?

Every woman deserves to have an engagement ring. If he can't afford it, he shouldn't be thinking of marriage in the first place.

Sweetheart, my advice to you is, call it off and tell him you want a ring & if he won't give you one, go find another man who will have enough love and respect for you to give you one.

Him not having a ring is NOT a good sign. Just think of all the other things he will disregard once you guys are married. RUN while you can!
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Are you the one in your d.p? If yes,I can understand why you are infatuated with getting an engagement ring. grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:21am On Nov 18, 2013
babe4chi: Wearing d ring means I'm engaged to be married to a particular person! Wen people see it,they knw I'm taken!

But if u giv me a necklace,and smone else comes for me nd I tell him I'm engaged,showin him d necklace on my neck! What do u think wil be on his mind?
So you are bothered about what other people think right? Does thru ring stop the guy coming from still pushing you? Does the ring stop you from cheating? Does the ring mean the guy is serious? Have you not seen girls who wear ring even though they ain't engaged?

So now you are saying a ring is to show others you are taken and it is no longer a sign of commitment right? You are saying it is a way to let peoplewho don't really matter in your life (cos face it only the both of you matter in this case) know you are engaged? Think about this and ask yourself if it makes sense
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:23am On Nov 18, 2013
Mynd_44:
Wait ooo. A ring signifies commitment and promise bla bla bla but why a ring? What not a diadem, a tiara, a scarf, a bracelet, necklace or waistbead? Why a ring?

We need to ask serious questions here oooo. What is the significance of a ring?
Rings are more conventional, but like I said earlier some people alter tradition somewhat and decide to use other tangible things to seal the deal.
Doesn't matter which way you decide to go IMO, my major concern is that something must be given.

She can find a way to explain why she has a tiara or wears the same purple scarf everday cheesy
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:25am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
It's still tradition. The same reason why some cultures have the man paying a bride price and others have a woman paying dowry.
That is what you would say....tradition and so you prefer the ring. It is the idea you have been sold to that is most important here sometimes trumping the thought and intent behind the ring.

About the bride price (not dowry, they are different), the significance of the bride price should overweigh the price itself hence some cultures accept just change. It stands for an idea.

Hence why a ring? Why not something else?
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:27am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Rings are more conventional, but like I said earlier some people alter tradition somewhat and decide to use other tangible things to seal the deal.
Doesn't matter which way you decide to go IMO, my major concern is that something must be given.

She can find a way to explain why she has a tiara or wears the same purple scarf everday cheesy
that is the spirit. The ring merely represents something. The ring can be replaced with anything as long as they agree with.

Hell sometimes, you don't need an object as the word of the parties is enough(don't take this advice: humans can't be trusted grin)
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:29am On Nov 18, 2013
Mynd_44:
what does the ring do for you? Answer wisely ooo
Look at it this way-- I write a proposal for a partnership, you're cool with it and interested so you put your signature on the document.

I=Man
Proposal=Marriage proposal
Document=Ring
Signature=Letting you put it on my finger.

cheesy
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by jaybee3(m): 10:31am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
I'm not saying it isn't tradition. I just frown at people hiding under tradition/culture/norm whenever it suits them.

Getting engaged/married is a decision between two people willing to spend the rest of their lives together. They should decide on what works for them and not what the society deems acceptable.

The notion that a ring is a sign of commitment is all farce. Commitment is all about respect and values that the couple have for each other once they make that decisions to embark on the journey of no return. One of the main reason why this same ring has almost lost its true value/meaning is simply because most women want this same ring to show off or better still use to warn all their numerous admirers off.

Technically, being committed starts once you are in love and you both see each other as someone you had be able to spend the rest of your life with.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Danhumprey: 10:31am On Nov 18, 2013
I might give you a ring,but that doesn't stop him from cheatin on you. I guess you would prefer a mere object to a broken heart,right?

I guess you would prefer a mere object to a broken home and marriage. Because at the end of it all,after being divorced the ring is even more worthless.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by babe4chi(f): 10:32am On Nov 18, 2013
Mynd_44:
So you are bothered about what other people think right? Does thru ring stop the guy coming from still pushing you? Does the ring stop you from cheating? Does the ring mean the guy is serious? Have you not seen girls who wear ring even though they ain't engaged?

So now you are saying a ring is to show others you are taken and it is no longer a sign of commitment right? You are saying it is a way to let peoplewho don't really matter in your life (cos face it only the both of you matter in this case) know you are engaged? Think about this and ask yourself if it makes sense
well,I get what u're saying! Buh its evry man to his/her own point of view!
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:32am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Look at it this way-- I write a proposal for a partnership, you're cool with it and interested so you put your signature on the document.

I=Man
Proposal=Marriage proposal
Document=Ring
Signature=Letting you put it on my finger.

cheesy
Replace the document with Diadem and replace the signature with her head. Still works.

Or replace the document with a bracelet and the signature with her wrist.

Does this instances still work? Is the agreement still valid?

Now replace the document with a locally made wristbead and the signature with her wrist.

Rings are waaaaaay too overrated.
Disclaimer: to stop her from biting your head off, get a ring grin

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:33am On Nov 18, 2013
Mynd_44:
that is the spirit. The ring merely represents something. The ring can be replaced with anything as long as they agree with.

Hell sometimes, you don't need an object as the word of the parties is enough(don't take this advice: humans can't be trusted grin)
I think we're on the same side with what the object should be. I don't care if it's a ring oo, i'd even prefer a bracelet sef grin

Ok, like i told Jay bee before: blame humans and not tradition.
It's not our fault some men can't be trusted to keep their word, but there are those who see engagements as sacred.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by druid06(m): 10:33am On Nov 18, 2013
Being engaged is more emotional than physical. It shows that both party involved in a relationship are fully ready on evolving to the next level and becoming an entity. The ring signifies the seal to that commitment/engagement but to each it's own. I might want to divert from the traditional using of the ring to signify that bond and commitment by using a ribbon, a necklace, a watch because I'm not a copycat and I don't enjoy conforming to traditions. It all depends on what I want and if she's okay with it. We may decide to get a ring in the future just to please everyone else but that does not change the fact that my seal of engagement was something else. It all depends on individuals and how your relationship works.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Danhumprey: 10:33am On Nov 18, 2013
jay bee:
I'm not saying it isn't tradition. I just frown at people hiding under tradition/culture/norm whenever it suits them.

Getting engaged/married is a decision between two people willing to spend the rest of their lives together. They should decide on what works for them and not what the society deems acceptable.

The notion that a ring is a sign of commitment is all farce. Commitment is all about respect and values that the couple have for each other once they make that decisions to embark on the journey of no return. One of the main reason why this same ring has almost lost its true value/meaning is simply because most women want this same ring to show off or better still use to warn all their numerous admirers off.

Technically, being committed starts once you are in love and you both see each other as someone you had be able to spend the rest of your life with.

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have said it any better.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by jaybee3(m): 10:35am On Nov 18, 2013
I'd propose to my girl with a ring if:
1) That's what she wants (This is the single most important reason why you should cos at the ed of the day we do everything for love)
2) I can afford one

Not because:
1) It's the norm
2) It's the only way to show i'm committed

1 Like

Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:36am On Nov 18, 2013
jay bee:

Fine, we're on the same page. Tradition in all it's purity has been raped.

@bolded. Very worthy cause if you ask me grin
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:37am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
I think we're on the same side with what the object should be. I don't care if it's a ring oo, i'd even prefer a bracelet sef grin

Ok, like i told Jay bee before: blame humans and not tradition.
It's not our fault some men can't be trusted to keep their word, but there are those who see engagements as sacred.
**off to buy a bracelet** gringringrin
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:38am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Fine, we're on the same page. Tradition in all it's purity has been raped.

But does a ring ward off intending men? Be honest
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:39am On Nov 18, 2013
Danhumprey: GBAM!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have said it any better.

Men. But you really hadn't said a thing yet undecided
Thank God for Jay bee sha.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by jaybee3(m): 10:40am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:

Why should a girl in a relationship be having all those admirers? If you focus on your relationship then surely you will have no reason to warn off admirers, no?

Commitment is all about mindset
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:42am On Nov 18, 2013
Mynd_44:
But does a ring ward off intending men? Be honest
Sometimes it does, but some men are stubborn and only understand the language of a fist in the face or acid in the brain undecided
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 10:43am On Nov 18, 2013
druid06:

Abeg go Sidon. You think say every man be WOMAN wrapper like you.

Fixed grin
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Danhumprey: 10:43am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:

Men. But you really hadn't said a thing yet undecided
Thank God for Jay bee sha.
I didn't to say anything more. I have express my view in the first page. You don't agree with it,then forget.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Smartiegurl(f): 10:44am On Nov 18, 2013
Two words! It matters...
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:44am On Nov 18, 2013
jay bee:
Why should a girl in a relationship be having all those admirers? If you focus on your relationship then surely you will have no reason to warn off admirers, no?

Commitment is all about mindset
I wish you could be a girl for a week, then you'd understand that admirers will always be there and sometimes seeing that you are about to wed is the only way to get some annoying pest-ly males off your back angry
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Polio: 10:46am On Nov 18, 2013
adaeze#123:
Do you guys think its necessary for a Guy to propose with a ring. Please give your suggestions....

The ring doesnt matter.
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Mynd44: 10:47am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Sometimes it does, but some men are stubborn and only understand the language of a fist in the face or acid in the brain undecided
how do women ward off men before they get engaged and the ring came?

The ring is for show off
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 18, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Please teach your brothers. I think globalization is becoming a curse angry
If he comes without a ring, say no. wink
Re: Marriage Proposal Without A Ring by UjSizzle(f): 10:53am On Nov 18, 2013
Mynd_44:
how do women ward off men before they get engaged and the ring came?

The ring is for show off
Maybe those men understood what the word NO meant undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Wofai Fada Hot In "Wonder Woman" Themed Bikini / Today Is My Last Day On Earth / Kim Kadashian, Goes Viral On Unclad Photo’s, Even After 3 Kid’s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.