Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? (14015 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 08, 2013
smith_sydny: I have asking my self dis question too..I topical villager speaking the best of English joind wit phonetics..ehhhh..na wa ooo

lol
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Influence01: 2:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
cheesy
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ettefiagold: 2:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
i love them
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Richy4(m): 2:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always wondered by people portrayed as villagers speak good english with a foreign accent.

Sorry to ask this question. are you saying that villagers in Nigeria cannot speak English? you have to know that the era that villagers cannot speak English is gone. this is 21st century, you do not expect them to portray villagers of those generation to this present generation. there are graduate villagers in Nigeria this days. those that some circumstances made to remain in the village who got no link to the city.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Orikinla(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
Please, give the titles of the Nollywood movies you have seen so far and tell us what makes them delusional.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
Richy.:

Sorry to ask this question. are you saying that villagers in Nigeria cannot speak English? you have to know that the era that villagers cannot speak English is gone. this is 21st century, you do not expect them to portray villagers of those generation to this present generation. there are graduate villagers in Nigeria this days. those that some circumstances made to remain in the village who got no link to the city.
Which graduates villagers are in the village. The ones that are there are in the minority. I'm talking about the real villagers. Even a lot of people in the city cannot speak good english while some cannot speak at all. Let alone people in the village. Most people in the village are English illiterates, so i'm shocked that they could be made to speak English in movies.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Ranchhoddas: 2:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
@speedyboi,ur post is one of the most stuupid posts i have ever read on nairaland i swear.a single person defeating a battalion always has an explanation say-the person is a highly skilled marksman,swordsman,etc.your statement tells me that you do not follow the dialogues in the movies you see.(read subtitles for your own good).you talk of many people going one after the other to fight a person instead of going at once to fight the person(i just dey laugh)-have you been in a crowd fight before?i guess not.you talk of slumdog millionaire,it is an adaptation of a book of the same name by vikas swarup,i guess what you saw was wat was in the book(i've read the book but i've not seen the movie).about russia,korea,and africa-for real?wat kind of movies do you watch?i know the nigeria depicted in monique's phat girls was almost better than the nigeria i know.pls i am tired of this crap.stop celebrating wat is below mediocrity eg heart transplant in one dingy room(yes that is how bad nollywood can get).pls follow dialogues attentively abeg.NOLLYWOOD IS BEYOND BAD!! PS:i am waiting for a movie titled ASUU strike, or 'go and die' cos i've seen oga at the top.that is how idiiotic they can be...QED

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by theripper3: 2:28pm On Dec 08, 2013
What have we learnt from

World War Z
Drinking buddies
2 guns
Pain and gain

and worst of all is "Machete kills", a movie so irritating, u could puke literally and the stupid movie is on Box office.

I ain't a Nollywood afficionado but they have their pros and cons just like a Hollywood movie where i am made to believe Sylvester stallione can whoop a whole battalion in an unfamiliar terrain or say if cat or spider bite me, i go turn cat boy or spiderman. These movies appeal to a particular audience (nollywood, ghollywwod and hollywood) and we honestly have to stop this jaundiced view about nollywood.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by OlamideGirl(f): 2:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ranchhoddas: @speedyboi,ur post is one of the most stuupid posts i have ever read on nairaland i swear.a single person defeating a battalion always has an explanation say-the person is a highly skilled marksman,swordsman,etc.your statement tells me that you do not follow the dialogues in the movies you see.(read subtitles for your own good).you talk of many people going one after the other to fight a person instead of going at once to fight the person(i just dey laugh)-have you been in a crowd fight before?i guess not.you talk of slumdog millionaire,it is an adaptation of a book of the same name by vikas swarup,i guess what you saw was wat was in the book(i've read the book but i've not seen the movie).about russia,korea,and africa-for real?wat kind of movies do you watch?i know the nigeria depicted in monique's phat girls was almost better than the nigeria i know.pls i am tired of this crap.stop celebrating wat is below mediocrity eg heart transplant in one dingy room(yes that is how bad nollywood can get).pls follow dialogues attentively abeg.NOLLYWOOD IS BEYOND BAD!! PS:i am waiting for a movie titled ASUU strike, or 'go and die' cos i've seen oga at the top.that is how idiiotic they can be...QED
biko help me to rate dis brain?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Rogers210(m): 2:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!
You got it all wrong. You need to read the post again.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 2:38pm On Dec 08, 2013
I have seen this a lot of times in Hollywood movies; a guy is shot on the chest, he falls on the ground gasping for breath, his partner partner runs to him and tries to hold him up while asking, ''are you okay''? ''are you okay''?
What kind of useless question is that?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Afam4eva(m): 2:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
collynzo2: I have seen this a lot of times in Hollywood movies; a guy is shot on the chest, he falls on the ground gasping for breath, his partner partner runs to him and tries to hold him up while asking, ''are you okay''? ''are you okay''?
It can happen in real life too.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
[quote author=rhowly][/quote] thank you very much.
imagine for you to know a wicked mother-in-law she has to wear a funny makeup that once you see it you will know she is wicked. because Kenneth okonkwo is poor he will wear dirty and torn clothes with one funny looking mustache that doesn't even look real as if poor men no dey shave. shaving stick and razor no dey again? abeg.....
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ababs001: 2:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
OlamideGirl: biko help me to rate dis brain?
0.0000001/100000000

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by mimicue(f): 2:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
Nollywood has so many problems what annoys me most is the fact that they keep using old actors d ones that have been there they don't try to use new people young people....honestly I detest nollywood I won't use my money to watch nollywood at d cinema
.......they need to to have so many actors use fresh people.... New ones too....and the fact that nkem owoh will be acting high school movies damn no child they can use...if they train them they will act it better...i watch Hollywood movies where children are stars and act very well...over here nothing like that just old cargoes
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Mansursani(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
Totally spot on! I used to wonder how every undergrad student lived in a mansion, when mist of their mates in other countries live in either studios or apartments.
The Nollywood writers, like some Nigerians, feel that one has to always show off. Another example is a man that always relaxes at home in agbada, or the lady who always wears make-up 24/7 shocked
It's getting ridiculous.
That's the most annoying part, all the women and in all movies tends to be in make up even in the morning.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 2:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
Ranchhoddas: @speedyboi,ur post is one of the most stuupid posts i have ever read on nairaland i swear.a single person defeating a battalion always has an explanation say-the person is a highly skilled marksman,swordsman,etc.
One person taking out a battalion is NOT REAL... it's fantasy just mead for the purpose of the film's story. There is not a skilled person on the planet that can do that. Film audiences go with it because they already know it isn't real. So now that we've established that you live in a 'fantasy' world, how does that make his post stuupid and not yours for falling mugu hook, line & sinker?! Just saying.

Ranchhoddas: Stop celebrating wat is below mediocrity eg heart transplant in one dingy room(yes that is how bad nollywood can get).
In that case I'm sure you never saw the Oscar nominated (for Best Original Screenplay) Dirty Pretty Things - were they not chopping out organs in filthy dingy hotels?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
collynzo2: I have seen this a lot of times in Hollywood movies; a guy is shot on the chest, he falls on the ground gasping for breath, his partner partner runs to him and tries to hold him up while asking, ''are you okay''? ''are you okay''?
it happens a lot in real life.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
I was watching another hollywood movie in one of the Mnet stations yesterday, (I don't bother with the movie names) a man who was portrayed as perfectly normal was lost in a forest with his son and daughter, on their way back they had to cross a fence made of barbed wires, so the man decided to check if it was electrified by placing his two hands on it. I mean, even if someone is foolish enough to test for electricity with his bare hands, why use his two hands instead of one?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by pendo89(f): 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2013
Because they are mostly watched and enjoyed by a delusional audience which forms a large % of the world's population and whose returns are sufficient to keep them under production year in and out.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 2:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
So back to this thread - https://www.nairaland.com/1148216/nigerians-really-know-good-movies
Apparently, from this thread, we really don't even 'know' movies at all... chuckle, giggle, groan!
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by mimicue(f): 2:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
collynzo2: I was watching another hollywood movie in one of the Mnet stations yesterday, (I don't bother with the movie names) a man who was portrayed as perfectly normal was lost in a forest with his son and daughter, on their way back they had to cross a fence made of barbed wires, so the man decided to check if it was electrified by placing his two hands on it. I mean, even if someone is foolish enough to test for electricity with his bare hands, why use his two hands instead of one?

Assin I tire oh...I watched one on afmag where they FedEx charm to America...mehn grin grin
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 08, 2013
Mansursani:
That's the most annoying part, all the women and in all movies tends to be in make up even in the morning.
them dey even wear high heels to bed.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
softsparky: it happens a lot in real life.
It doesn't happen. How can you be asking someone who has been shot if he is okay?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ipad(m): 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that....

Mister, you're missing the point...true, the concept and message of a movie does not have to be realistic (horror films, sci-fi are a case in point), but they have to be believable, and people should be able to relate with it....

for example, Superman Returns was not as well embraced by the audience, because they couldn't "feel" the movie...Man of Steel however was well received....and the avengers went on to garner way more than $1B dollars....

in the same vein, Eddie murphy's last 2 sci-fi films were woeful at the box office. Why? Not believable enough.

I'm very sure that you're one of the practitioners of this crappy industry called nollywood...even the name sounds like a nullification of hollywood and everything the make believe world stands for

Very few of you guys understand your trade...a lot of you ride on the wave of...it doesn't have to be realistic....yes, it doesn't have to be, but the trick of the trade is to make "eating shit" a believable exercise.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 2:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
pendo89: Because they are mostly watched and enjoyed by a delusional audience which forms a large % of the world's population and whose returns are sufficient to keep them under production year in and out.
That is the point, Nollywood is doing really well and is watched all over Africa even in non English speaking countries, so they must be getting something right.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by GetGuide: 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
monkey no fine but hin mama like am

i dont watch nollywood movies so
but holly blockbusters oya\\

https://www.nairaland.com/1489113/grade-5as-original-brazilian-peruvian
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 3:03pm On Dec 08, 2013
ipad:

Mister, you're missing the point...true, the concept and message of a movie does not have to be realistic (horror films, sci-fi are a case in point), but they have to be believable, and people should be able to relate with it....

for example, Superman Returns was not as well embraced by the audience, because they couldn't "feel" the movie...Man of Steel however was well received....and the avengers went on to garner way more than $1B dollars....

in the same vein, Eddie murphy's last 2 sci-fi films were woeful at the box office. Why? Not believable enough.

I'm very sure that you're one of the practitioners of this crappy industry called nollywood...even the name sounds like a nullification of hollywood and everything the make believe world stands for

Very few of you guys understand your trade...a lot of you ride on the wave of...it doesn't have to be realistic....yes, it doesn't have to be, but the trick of the trade is to make "eating shit" a believable exercise.

Absolute nonsense!
What is believable about a man flying?
What is believable about an unarmed ban beating up hundreds of armed men?
What is believable about someone growing a new arm immediately after the old one was cut off?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ababs001: 3:05pm On Dec 08, 2013
wetin i know be say if i dey watch american movies everytin just dey go jolijoli...but if i dey watch naija movies includin the yoruba ones oooo; they just dont add-up...
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 3:06pm On Dec 08, 2013
The same people complaining that Nollywood doesn't portray reality are still the ones who moan whenever they see a native doctor scene in the movies.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ipad(m): 3:08pm On Dec 08, 2013
mimicue: Nollywood has so many problems what annoys me most is the fact that they keep using old actors d ones that have been there they don't try to use new people young people....honestly I detest nollywood I won't use my money to watch nollywood at d cinema
.......they need to to have so many actors use fresh people.... New ones too....and the fact that nkem owoh will be acting high school movies damn no child they can use...if they train them they will act it better wesha watch Hollywood movies where children are stars and act very well...over here nothing like that just old cargoes

You're so right...Nulli-wood only reduces one's IQ...I won't even watch it on dstv, not to talk of renting their yeye dvds or going to the cinemas..tufiakwa.

Nulliwood..by retards for retards.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2013
CastingCrowns: Its ridiculous...u see genevieve signing a cheque of a million naira just for shopping in the movies....as if money grows on trees

Hahahaha what do u expect..
After all her money grows like grass

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wildfire - A Short Film Script / Ebubu Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / BBNaija: “I Am Here For The Money” – Tobi To Alex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.