Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,700 members, 7,813,295 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? (13997 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Whizkeey(m): 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
The op is right tho like ashewo today become billionaire tomorrow morning, buh our present day producer av change tins
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by enigmang: 12:20pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!

Kaii.. God bless you plenty plenty plenty... i could almost kiss you #NOHOMO.. you've save me a lot of typing....
We are very quick to criticise naija without making any good contribution..

Does the OP want "typical village people" to speak english that no one watching the movie will understand the movie is targeted at a wide audience...they are actually speaking "village english" but sought of translated to good english for the viewers benefit...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by enigmang: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
vickyO:
Your post notifies anger.
You are quite correct but I don't think that's what the OP is talking about.
Our foreign counter parts are able to make the movies look real even if not perfectly but to a large extent.
But here in Nigeria, they barley appear real talk more of being close to perfect.
[b]The only movie I can single out in Nigeria, that was beautifully done is MR and MRS. [/b]Ije is not too good.
Nollywood needs to work on their scripts and performance cause majority of them make junks.
Let's be truthful.

How can you compare Hollywood to Nollywood?
Come on. The diff is clear.

The only movie among the few you've watched... Nollywood has actually improved... though there is plenty plenty room for more improvement... with more graduates and professional going into Nollywood we will definitely see more improvement... Besides Hollywood is more like "the whole World" while Nollywood is strictly Nigeria and perhaps Ghana
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Chimaritoponcho: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2013
taa make una shutup..nollywood till fowl grow teeth *sips my alomo while watching "mr ibu&widows"*
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by prettycee(f): 12:30pm On Dec 08, 2013
[quote author=speedyboi]Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry![/quot

WELL SAID

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by AmINotHuman(m): 12:35pm On Dec 08, 2013
Shallow thinking!

what will you say about;

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!

This is a very smart post and I agree whole-heartedly. I'm not a fan of Nollywood but Hollywood is way worse in terms of its 'delusion'. Permit me if this is slightly off-topic but at least we can say Nollywood 'lies' are harmless or even funny. But Hollywood loves to promote many false- even dangerous- ideas:

Africans are uneducated, starving savages;
The British are pompous, tea-loving and cruel;
Arabs are terrorists;
African-americans are criminals;
Russians are bitter against the US etc.

But almighty white Americans are perfect, awesome people who, in the time of danger, are the ones to save the world even though the average american is just some fat guy.

Besides, how often do you see a poor (white) American in a Hollywood movie?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by eluquenson(m): 12:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
They always borrow those apartments used in their delusion films grin
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by anthony500(m): 12:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
The worst? A certa film I stumbled upon in a hair salon: AFRICAN MICHAEL JACKSON. Most terrible film ever! no most terrible video file ever angry
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by anthony500(m): 12:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
one movie I stumbled upon recently, don't know the name, but tonto dike stole 10 billion from a bank in lagos! haba 10 billion haba reason am na
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by VillageBoi(m): 12:43pm On Dec 08, 2013
AmINotHuman?:

The British are pompous, tea-loving and cruel;
Errrrrmmmmm that actually is the British wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by mspee(f): 12:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always wondered by people portrayed as villagers speak good english with a foreign accent.

Thank you! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
Shallow thinking!

what will you say about;

You deserve an award.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Abbey2sam(m): 12:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
vickyO:
Our foreign counter parts are able to make the movies look real even if not perfectly but to a large extent.
But here in Nigeria, they barley appear real talk more of being close to perfect.
The only movie I can single out in Nigeria, that was beautifully done is MR and MRS. Ije is not too good.
Nollywood needs to work on their scripts and performance cause majority of them make junks.
Let's be truthful.

Once again your wrong,nothing is real about hollywood movies, (fiction) that's what most of their films are; though I must say I do enjoy their movies becuz they have everything put in place, what am I trying to say, even though you know that what your watching is not real, you still enjoy it, from the graphics to the sound and every aspect of that movie and this is where nollywood is lagging behind becuz its still a young movie industry.

Imagine acting a movie within one month, that's nollywood for you, imagine making a movie with less than five hundred thousand naira, that's a typical hand work of ibo producer............

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Fayrouzz(m): 12:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
Why do u keep watching nollywood movies??
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by TempleChinedum(m): 1:00pm On Dec 08, 2013
tsidra: Nollywood moves aren't the best in the world but seriously I think u are exagerrating. "A poor person driving a ferrari" in which movie did that happen

I think your criticism is a little toooooooo shallow

Thanks you for telling him that, I'll just say "our enemies are @ work again"
These days everyone needs to get to d front page #smdh.
I think its high time our people start seeing the difference btwn a low budget film and a standard nollywood movie...
Pls buy The Kingdom and watch and shutttt the f..uck up!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by collynzo2(m): 1:09pm On Dec 08, 2013
Shallow thinking!

what will you say about;

I have nothing more to add.
May you continue to grow from strength to strength because of this post alone.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by sportfeva(m): 1:13pm On Dec 08, 2013
CastingCrowns: Ave noticed most nollywood movies dont portray the happenings in Nigeria,everyone lives in palatial mansions complete with exotic super-cars parked all around the huge garage,the meals are eaten on dining tables complete with cutleries and the latest china in town,the phonetics are non-Nigerian,the clothes worn are designer duds complete with luxury bags even a character playing a poor person drives a ferrari....Nollywood i watch their movies for the laughs....if they wanna represent us properly on the world stage its high time they make realistic movies not delusional films depicting a utopic place
Maybe they need to learn from Uncle TK. His movie are filled with less critic. The quality outlook of a movie is largely control by the movie director. They control and even twist things beyond the movie original script.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Perfecter4real(m): 1:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
vickyO:
The only movie I can single out in Nigeria, that was beautifully done is MR and MRS. Ije is not too good.
Let's be truthful.

the fact still remains that HOLLYWOOD ET BOLLWOOD movies are more DELUSIONAL to a large extend compared to NOLLYWOOD movies..Deal with it.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by barneystinson(m): 1:27pm On Dec 08, 2013
speedboi has said nothing. You cannot compare the 'delusion' in hollywood action thrillers to what the op is talking about. A movie is meant to tell a story using motion picture to depict real life as much as possible. As such the need for good acting, well written scripts, appropriate casting, costume, props, location etc are important in delivering the desired effect. It is on this front that most nollywood movies have failed miserably. It would be argued that the industry is a small one ( in terms of funding) but most of the movies being churned out are nothing short of jokes. The op is completely correct. Ridiculous story lines, poor acting, forced accents and worst of all inept directing are synonymous with nollywood. but that is not to say there haven't been any good nollywood films. over the years, i have been impressed with the quality of some nollywood films like dangerous twins etc ( cant remember much of their titles) and with the advent of new nollywood, i find myself looking forward to seeing a nollywood movie.
It is true that hollywood action movies pull stunts that could be very unrealistic at times ( with the chinese taking it to another level). but speedboi is missing the point. That is what that genre is about. Most of these movies are completely engaging, thrilling, fun and sometimes still very believable. It is all make believe.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by eaglechild: 1:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
Shallow thinking!

what will you say about;

Thank you so much.
I am comforted knowing that there are people who still have brains.
Nollywood is tailored to appeal to a given audience and judging by the way it has grown it is not doing badly.
We should encourage it to expand and diversify and not just come up with destructive critisism.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by redsun(m): 1:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
Because Nigeria is a delusional country. People portray their thoughts and imaginations in their actions. That is why there so many churches and mosques in Nigeria,instead of functional schools and enterprises.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 08, 2013
eluquenson: They always borrow those apartments used in their delusion films grin

this is even another point sef. Contrary to hollywood that shoot their movies in the studio, the nollywood the op is refering to rent real houses. So i begin to wonder; did they import those houses from Ghana? Tschew! Because you live in face2face house you think the world revolves around you.

It's like people leave their brains at home when they wanna watch hollywood movies but they watch nollywood movies just to spot irrelevant mistakes. Because me o, i spot mistakes in every movie i watch....i just overlook most of it. But hollywood stands out mainly cos they are damn good in all aspect of the 'art' of filmmaking. Then Nairalanders would say hollywood increase their IQ. Yeah right, it shows how low your IQ is for movies to be the booster or reducing factor of your IQ. Kai smh, people dumb for this world.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by PHIPEX(m): 1:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
Anyone who has watched recent Nollywood movies especially those cinema worthy ones (and those shown on weekends by DSTV) and still says they are not improving is a big joker.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by eaglechild: 1:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
Afam4eva: I've always wondered by people portrayed as villagers speak good english with a foreign accent.
What a silly question.
Why would Spartacus speak English instead of Italian or French.
And how come all the slaves understood each other even though they came from different continents.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by valencia25(m): 1:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by turkish(m): 1:45pm On Dec 08, 2013
I think the point is being missed here. I've seen some well made nollywOod films eg. The amaka igwe flicks of yore where the right props were used to depict some scenery example, middleclass family living in what passes for an actual middleclass naija neighbourhood and driving the right cars. The plot of Hollywood flicks as compared to reality is false and laughable is some instances, but that is the point of a movie in the first place. Potraying figments of ppls imagination. Nollywood with all the native doctors and stuff is trying to do the same. In the end, as much as I don't see a lot of nollywood flicks, I still doff my cap for them and what they are able to achieve with limited resources. I suggest that maybe some of the talent that works on our music videos can maybe see how they will bring their expertise to nollywood. Also our producers should nto overreach when they adopt some stories for production. Eg. You don't need to pull off a political thriller involving the president when u know that securing resources to factually depict it will be difficult. U can scale smae story down to the level of a village council or local governemnt power struggle.
Long live nollywood.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
barneystinson: speedboi has said nothing. You cannot compare the 'delusion' in hollywood action thrillers to what the op is talking about. A movie is meant to tell a story using motion picture to depict real life as much as possible. As such the need for good acting, well written scripts, appropriate casting, costume, props, location etc are important in delivering the desired effect. It is on this front that most nollywood movies have failed miserably. It would be argued that the industry is a small one ( in terms of funding) but most of the movies being churned out are nothing short of jokes. The op is completely correct. Ridiculous story lines, poor acting, forced accents and worst of all inept directing are synonymous with nollywood. but that is not to say there haven't been any good nollywood films. over the years, i have been impressed with the quality of some nollywood films like dangerous twins etc ( cant remember much of their titles) and with the advent of new nollywood, i find myself looking forward to seeing a nollywood movie.
It is true that hollywood action movies pull stunts that could be very unrealistic at times ( with the chinese taking it to another level). but speedboi is missing the point. That is what that genre is about. Most of these movies are completely engaging, thrilling, fun and sometimes still very believable. It is all make believe.
that's why i said, we should not be talking about delusions, but important stuffs. That's misplaced priority! That's even if it's an issue
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by chubysoft1(m): 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2013
bigx: I watch them when I need to reduce my IQ

I wish ℓ̊ could like your post a million times.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by BlackHuman(m): 1:52pm On Dec 08, 2013
That's y I miss a certain mini series called "Wetin Dey" I think the series was created to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, the acting and directing was very realistic, the poor folks in d film lived in one room apartments(not 3bedroom flats), they spoke in pidgin and didn't wear fancy clothes. Somtin every nigerian can relate to.....It's a pity the film has stopped airing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by rhowly(m): 1:53pm On Dec 08, 2013
[quote author=speedyboi]^^^^^

That's why I said people should start criticising with sense! You don't just open your mouth and close it cos you wan join the caucus of gutter critics.

And I don't get angry smiley. Or is being blunt your definition of anger?[/quote
Guy leave that thing. You sound like an intelligent dude. Most nollywood movies don't in any way stimulate one's intellect. The plot is utterly predictable, every lady's dressing is ostentatious and whorish. A doctor receives the news of his 3 month comatose patient regaining consciousness from the nurse and asks the patient to come into his office. Where does that happen for Pete's sake? what happened to muscle atrophy? The movies are poorly researched, poorly scripted. Part 1,2 & 3 can be totally compressed into one movie of 45mins. Na the acting na im dey sometimes impress. Lets call a spade a spade even if na our country thing. Peace

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 08, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
Totally spot on! I used to wonder how every undergrad student lived in a mansion, when mist of their mates in other countries live in either studios or apartments.
The Nollywood writers, like some Nigerians, feel that one has to always show off. Another example is a man that always relaxes at home in agbada, or the lady who always wears make-up 24/7 shocked
It's getting ridiculous.

true
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 08, 2013
I have asking my self dis question too..I topical villager speaking the best of English joind wit phonetics..ehhhh..na wa ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: “I Am Here For The Money” – Tobi To Alex / Ebubu Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / BLINK - Best Nigerian Short Film Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.