Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? - TV/Movies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? (13998 Views)

Top 10 Nollywood Movies You Watched In 2014 / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by miss2895(f): 9:41pm On Dec 08, 2013
OlamideGirl: y will nollywood act a film like thor at first.....think about dat......does it av a correlation with 9ja abi africa.....smh
its jst an imaginaition
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by romme2u: 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2013
u guys are all silly. movies are meant to be entertaining wink wink and if it does not entertain u, u can pass to the next one.
#just passing buy# tongue tongue
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by barneystinson(m): 10:22pm On Dec 08, 2013
Some of you here are saying we are not being patriotic for stating the obvious and that we are to quick to bash our own. But truth be told, not until recently has Nollywood given us something to be proud of. Like someone mentioned here, there is ( was) no desire to be professional. Most movies in Nollywood were not made for the art of filmmaking but just to get a quick buck. Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of Ghanaian movies with the excessive sex scenes and all that, I respect their drive and ambition to tell better stories and push the boundaries of filmmaking within their industry.
However, I am very proud to observe that things have improved in nollywood. It's almost revolutionary. From the posters alone u can observe the difference. You can see the improvement in directing, casting, scripting, picture and sound quality. We even talk about movie premieres now. Movies like The Figurine, Ije, Last flight to Abuja etc show that some people have decided to step up their game and be set apart from mediocrity. just this evening I saw a review of Onye Ozi, an Igbo film featuring Okey Bakassi on Jara show. I was impressed already. It was shot in London and everyone in it spoke Igbo with subtitles including the white people. As i type this, I can't wait to see the movie to know how well they pulled it off. Now that is what I'm talking about. Someone said something about aliens speaking English and all, but here are whites speaking Igbo which if done well would make the film very entertaining. That's the essence of filmmaking. it is an art- not something you jst wake up and do cos u can afford a camera or two. Nollywood has evolved, really and are taking steps in the right direction. there is still alot to be done and great room for improvement though. And I totally support them in their bid to do so.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by bharyur2103(m): 11:09pm On Dec 08, 2013
obailala:
Gbam!.. you have said it all

We live in Nigeria, so we know what is realistic and what is not about our country... What baffles me however is how we sit in Nigeria and praise hollywood movies for portraying the 'real life' American situation when the only knowledge we have for comparison about the 'real life' America is from what we see in hollywood movies.. poor comparison I must say

The truth is that ALL movies are unrealistic... nollywood, bollywood, hollywood etc... that's why it's a movie. The same way we complain that our movies are not real, that's also the way Americans complain that movies are not real. Someone said in nollywood u see a villager speaking queens english but remember in hollywood, scientists fly to a planet where no man has ever been before yet the inhabitants of that planet speak pure english with an american accent grin grin

OMG!!Haven't you hrd of "sci-fi"??don't you know such films are based on the imagination of the writer?The Nollywood movie in question was trying to portray a real life situation and all it could give was that garbage...Can you believe I was watching a yoruba movie tonyt and there was this scene a doctor was telling the mother of the patient that the patient needed a kidney transplant immediately because "one of her kidneys is bad and we need to remove it before it affects the other one" he said.Assuming a 6 yr old was watching that,wouldn't he/she be of the opinion that a human cannot survive with one kidney?Let's call a spade a spade.Nollywood needs to improve on a lot!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Laitesmart(m): 5:56am On Dec 09, 2013
speedyboi: Hypocrisy!
Shallow thinking!
and more full this thread!

Of all things to criticize in the industry, this is what you think is important?

If you want to start criticizing delusional movies (leaving behind the fact that movies are not documentaries and not necessarily meant to be 'the real situation'), Hollywood movies and all other woods will come before Nollywood!

what will you say about;
A. -A single criminal defeating a battalion of well trained soldiers like say na ice-cream dem dey drink for army their whole life. Is that the situation in real life?
-In a movie like Olympus has fallen for instance; first part of the attack in white house, the Police or whoever were practically coming out of the building to be killed. I'm sure 'the grrreaat' american police force wouldn't be so dumb in real life, would they? undecided,
-Or in all action movies where lots of people could've taken the criminal at once, but they always prefer to go one by one... to be killed ofcourse - How realistic is that?

B. -And that sh/itty british movie titled slum dog millionaire where people in the slums can speak proper english. Is that the real situation in India?
-OR another unrealistic part: the real slum little boys they used in the beginning spoke Hindi; then the India little actors (who were obviously from middle/high class family in real life) they used when the boys grew up (like 11years kinda) suddenly started to speak proper English without attending school! How real is that anywhere in the world?
-OR the who wants to be a millionaire questions that were turning out as 'fate' BS. - please save me! And the cheap questions that were being asked sef: Infact, who wants to be a millionaire in Nigeria have asked the name of 3 musketeers as a first question before, but lo and behold, that was the ultimate question in the who wants to be a millionaire in our 'slumdog'. mtcheeeew...what A load of crap!

C. Or about anywhere apart from US, UK, Australia and likes being depicted as the worst place on earth in hollywood movies. No? Lemme tell you what a typical shallow minded person thinks about these countries due to 'HOLLYWOOD'
- Russia / Russians - Terrorist Nation
- Korea - Terrorist nation
- Africa - Jungle with people and animals whining and dining together (even though me wey they live here have never seen a wild animal in my life sef). Other times, Africa is a desert with no houses.
- And probably the first movie they will shoot in India, India is already being given the first impression of a slum! And another stereotype begins!
And incase you haven't noticed, almost every bad guy in American movies always have foreign accents!

C. And 'about accents of people who arrive from abroad' that people always complain about...the fact is their accents are as shitty as the ones foreign actors speak in movies about other countries (despite the 'language coach' they get). There's no movie where actors are expected to speak like another country that the people of the country didn't complain about the accents. Even british people complain about Charlize Theron's accent in the movie 'Snow White and Huntsman). That's just how it is; unless you've lived somewhere for a while, you can never have their accent! If na to say few words, then the language coaching might be effective.

Conclusion: Delusional stuffs is not limited to Nollywood! Infact, it is mean't to happen! Why? Because it is a movie! There are are better things to discuss improvement on. It's good to point out things like this, but you need to know, it's not a reason to bash any industry!
Na this post be your project/thesis topic?
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Dannylux: 9:00am On Dec 09, 2013
miss2895: u ar right. Imagine nollywood acting a film lik Thor?
Hw will dey go abt it?
Who will play dat role?
The thought alone its hilarious.

lol I tire for them. Them no fit reason that kind one
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by meforyou1(m): 12:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
You even see NYSC members living in flats and driving big cars
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Dec 09, 2013
bigx: I watch them when I need to reduce my IQ

exactly, nollywood mentality is the worst thing that can happen to kids.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
bharyur2103:

OMG!!Haven't you hrd of "sci-fi"??don't you know such films are based on the imagination of the writer?The Nollywood movie in question was trying to portray a real life situation and all it could give was that garbage...Can you believe I was watching a yoruba movie tonyt and there was this scene a doctor was telling the mother of the patient that the patient needed a kidney transplant immediately because "one of her kidneys is bad and we need to remove it before it affects the other one" he said.Assuming a 6 yr old was watching that,wouldn't he/she be of the opinion that a human cannot survive with one kidney?Let's call a spade a spade.Nollywood needs to improve on a lot!

Actually, that statement is right. If you know anything about health you would know that most kidney infections will spread to the other kidney in a short while and that's why the infected kidney needs to be removed urgently.

Just as I said in my former post, you are just another one of 'Lemme just open my mouth and critize something too'. Hian!
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by novaman: 12:44am On Dec 10, 2013
the guys you are condemning are busy make money, and you are here fooling around, if you think you know what it takes to produce a 30sec clip, you will never say rubbish ever, or maybe you should make one movie, then we can start discussing you; you are not the best in what you do even in your locality but you are matching those guys against those in the US; I have seen guys making movie in very harsh condition, ask Afolayan; it is not easy that is why I can't even venture into that area; small time una go compare THUR and IJE
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by ugojamali(m): 1:38am On Dec 10, 2013
People stop criticising. Movies are meant to show you the good sides of life. More often than not the things we see on TV are fake. Its all in movies and music videos.

Movies are meant to give hope and dreams to people. That's why people worship stars. Because they look up to them and are attracted to the glitz and glamor they portray on the screen.

So its not a bad thing at all for those elements to be in nollywood movies. Well except the fake accents. But its okay for a movie to have a poor man living in a good house cause it gives the poor people in the real world hope that there could be a better life.

Its okay for an illiterate to at least speak manageable English cos it gives illiterates something to aspire for. Its okay to show all d glitz and the glamor cos that's what people need more.

People need to see the good life. In this depressing country we all know how bad things are. We don't need to be reminded by our movies. Our movies should show us how good life should be where low income earners could still afford good houses and neat cars and nice dinners and cool dresses....

So its not a bad thing at all.
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by Nobody: 8:56am On Dec 10, 2013
I am not criticising Nollywood, I'm just stating some things that are odd when am watching their films.
imagine say papa dey come back from travel and he drives into the compound, you go see how his wife go rush go hug am and the kids go sit down de look the man like Tv (na their papa oo) na the man go go meet them begin dey touch them for head dey ask questions like, Junior how are you? did you miss your daddy? ........and the kids go de look another direction.
but for oyibo film they go act am so well you go even think say them be real family. sometimes we go wait for film to end then check their names to confirm.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by mimicue(f): 9:25am On Dec 10, 2013
softsparky: I am not criticising Nollywood, I'm just stating some things that are odd when am watching their films.
imagine say papa dey come back from travel and he drives into the compound, you go see how his wife go rush go hug am and the kids go sit down de look the man like Tv (na there papa oo) na the man go go meet them begin dey touch them for head dey ask questions like, Junior how are you? did you miss your daddy? ........and the kids go de look another direction.
but for oyibo film they go act am so well you go even think say them be real family. sometimes we go wait for film to end then check their names to confirm.

Very true
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by teegrams(m): 9:28am On Dec 10, 2013
OlamideGirl: wat will u nw say about bollywood or ghollywood.......abeg do ur research well b4 typin jhare

Its all a syndrome for third world countries,spanish movies home are called what undecided you are the one who needs a reasearch,

Bollywood might be accepeted,but ghollowood,nollywood sounds dumb, for ur info hollywood is a place in America and thier film was named cos most stars lives there,where does nollywood
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by dannie04: 10:40am On Dec 10, 2013
When you watch a movie solely with the aim of criticism you will find nothing good about the movie. On the other hand when you are overwhelmed by the movie just because its Hollywood you'll definitely appreciate everything about the movie.
Nobody criticized the outrageous lavish lifestyle portrayed by the Royal family in coming to America but you will all join the bandwagon that criticize similar scenes in Nollywood.
When you condemn the accent used in Nollywood do you really think they always get it right in Hollywood? Its a known fact that different tribes have different accent and you could easily tell the origin of most Nigerians by hearing them speak in English my question here is Why do we see all east Africans and South Africans speak in same accent in different movies. I remember the movie Black Diamond where they had a scene in Nigeria about the civil war. The said Mr Azuka spoke in a strange accent that was not related to the Igbo tribe and he even had an uncharacteristic dressing that was not typical of a Nigerian Tribe. A mixture of an Igbo name, south-south Top, Black cap(igbos wear the red cap) and Kenyan accent all in one Haba!!!
If we must truly compare Nollywood with Hollywood why not start by comparing other aspects of our life so we can understand the disparity in both worlds. Can we compare a Nigerian Graduate Engineer to a stanford Graduate Engineer? How about MBA from Havard university to that of OAU abi you want try average Yam farmer with the average wheat farmer in america or try comparing the Nigerian Economy with the US economy or sincerely compare yourself in terms of your Age, Income level and your daily routine in office(teacher,civil servant,engineer,doctor etc) to that of an average american of your age
I would have loved to go on and on but speedyboi has already written them. Lets stop the slave mentality and try to appreciate what we have and please if we must criticize we should do that constructively
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by miss2895(f): 10:52am On Dec 10, 2013
softsparky: I am not criticising Nollywood, I'm just stating some things that are odd when am watching their films.
imagine say papa dey come back from travel and he drives into the compound, you go see how his wife go rush go hug am and the kids go sit down de look the man like Tv (na there papa oo) na the man go go meet them begin dey touch them for head dey ask questions like, Junior how are you? did you miss your daddy? ........and the kids go de look another direction.
seriously, especially yoruba movies
Re: Why Are Nollywood Movies Always So Delusional? by OlamideGirl(f): 10:39pm On Dec 11, 2013
teegrams:

Its all a syndrome for third world countries,spanish movies home are called what undecided you are the one who needs a reasearch,

Bollywood might be accepeted,but ghollowood,nollywood sounds dumb, for ur info hollywood is a place in America and thier film was named cos most stars lives there,where does nollywood
lolz....just tell us u hate naija nd we will undastand....give me tangible reason y bollywood shld b accepted den nd ao nollywood z soundin zdumb *smh*.....and 4 d spanish;ao many spanish movies ve u watchd or hrd about.....my guy inferiority complex is worrying u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

BBNaija: “I Am Here For The Money” – Tobi To Alex / Ebubu Evicted From The Big Brother Titans House / BLINK - Best Nigerian Short Film Ever?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.