Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,307 members, 7,836,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? (5285 Views)

Christianity; The Religion Not Founded By Jesus / Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 7:40pm On Dec 14, 2013
macof:

Yes and more...I once watched on the TV one Sango devotee who was possessed and began talking in a thunderous voice. They stopped the show right there

I later heard that such are very prevalent, That when Sango is well appeased with the dancing he starts hailing lightning.

Sango is also sometimes referred to as Orisha of dance, Osun fell in love with him because of his dancing talents
so Sango and osun are actually supreme beings? Falling in love things. Lol
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 8:14pm On Dec 14, 2013
Mr Troll: so Sango and osun are actually supreme beings? Falling in love things. Lol

grin no non of them is the supreme.
Olodumare is Great grand papa

I still try to understand the essence of the story of Sango and Osun falling in love

I guess it should be about sexual attraction between Masculinity and femininity
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 14, 2013
macof:

grin no non of them is the supreme.
Olodumare is Great grand papa

I still try to understand the essence of the story of Sango and Osun falling in love

I guess it should be about sexual attraction between Masculinity and femininity

You are full of shite

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 8:27pm On Dec 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are full of shite
grin grin grin
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by nnofaith: 8:42pm On Dec 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are full of shite
gbam!
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 9:45pm On Dec 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

You are full of shite
undecided

Like I said I haven't understood wat Sango and Osun's marriage symbolizes.

Maybe if u knew just a little about wat I have been talking about u would understand
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 10:14pm On Dec 14, 2013
macof:
undecided

Like I said I haven't understood wat Sango and Osun's marriage symbolizes.

Maybe if u knew just a little about wat I have been talking about u would understand
its simple really. Folktales and legends. Myths. Its alright though, at least you're not all in our faces like the abrahamics.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 12:44am On Dec 15, 2013
macof:
Did u read the link I sent to u?

I read it just now, sorry. There was not much information there. I'm unsure what you want me to glean from it. Can you enlighten me please? I should have looked at it when you posted it. Again I apologize.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 10:15am On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll: its simple really. Folktales and legends. Myths. Its alright though, at least you're not all in our faces like the abrahamics.

Not so.

As I always say, spirituality is at a level science is still building up to. philosophy is a Great part of spirituality and myths are symbolic
All myths have to say something about reality.

Like Oduduwa coming down from a chain to create earth after Obatala got drunk and slept off.
I have used the big bang theory to explain this
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 10:24am On Dec 15, 2013
texanomaly:

I read it just now, sorry. There was not much information there. I'm unsure what you want me to glean from it. Can you enlighten me please? I should have looked at it when you posted it. Again I apologize.

I wanted u to understand wat Osun is and not who
As u most have read Orisha are responsible for the existence of the universe.

Each and Every Orisha has a manifestation which Humans(and all living organism) are liable to experience or witness
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 10:47am On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

Not so.

As I always say, spirituality is at a level science is still building up to.
this is the bullshit religious people say that piss me off.

philosophy is a Great part of spirituality and myths are symbolic

Like Oduduwa coming down from a chain to create earth after Obatala got drunk and slept off.
on the contrary myths are realities embellished with a lot of nonsense.

They are just mostly entertaining stories used to explain natural phenomena.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:47am On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

Not so.

As I always say, spirituality is at a level science is still building up to. philosophy is a Great part of spirituality and myths are symbolic

people want to see the old monster who was drunk
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 10:59am On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

I wanted u to understand wat Osun is and not who
As u most have read Orisha are responsible for the existence of the universe.

Each and Every Orisha has a manifestation which Humans(and all living organism) are liable to experience or witness

Yeah, I understand. It bears some resemblance to American Indian beliefs. I enjoy Native American culture. Purhaps I will study this more. Its amazing what you can do with Google.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 11:06am On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll: this is the bullshit religious people say that piss me off.

on the contrary myths are realities embellished with a lot of nonsense.

They are just mostly entertaining stories used to explain natural phenomena.

My work here is done.

You probably see Europeans as master brains while ur ancestors are nothing but lame men making folklore
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 11:35am On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

My work here is done.

You probably see Europeans as master brains while ur ancestors are nothing but lame men making folklore

Lol. I'm a white American. I've never been outside the US. Btw...Europeans are usually much too liberal for my liking. I'm a pretty conservative gal.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by nnofaith: 11:42am On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

My work here is done.

you should stop attacking xtians, the only diffrence btw you and them is that your own BS is local.

3 Likes

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 12:02pm On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

My work here is done.

lol. Now you're sounding like folykze. Why do you think that if we don't accept local bullshit therefore we must be european wannabes? Its like a Christian saying that if you don't worship Yahweh then you must be a devil worshipper.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 12:05pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll: lol. Now you're sounding like folykze. Why do you think that if we don't accept local bullshit therefore we must be european wannabes? Its like a Christian saying that if you don't worship Yahweh then you must be a devil worshipper.

I'm pretty sure Alfa is the only one I've called a devil worshipper. grin
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 12:07pm On Dec 15, 2013
texanomaly:

Lol. I'm a white American. I've never been outside the US. Btw...Europeans are usually much too liberal for my liking. I'm a pretty conservative gal.

I was referring to Mr. troll
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 12:08pm On Dec 15, 2013
nnofaith: you should stop attacking xtians, the only diffrence btw you and them is that your own BS is local.

Because the only thing in ur head is BS
You can't see anything resourceful or constructive around u
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:12pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll: lol. Now you're sounding like folykze. Why do you think that if we don't accept local bullshit therefore we must be european wannabes? Its like a Christian saying that if you don't worship Yahweh then you must be a devil worshipper.

Jewish atheist gave naturalistic explanation to Mosaic Judaism. They still visit temples and involve in Jewish rituals. I dont do prayer and rituals though....i just find local to enjoy culture and tradition.

And how is a culture, tradition and spirituality bullshit? And who is asking you to accept it?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 12:12pm On Dec 15, 2013

First of all.
I explain The Yoruba creation story u claim it's just a lame folklore.

Many have said that to me too but it's funny how they subscribe to the big bang theory.
I have once explained the similarities between the Yoruba creation story and the big bang theory yet many call my ancestors bush men when they had already known wat science is just knowing
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 12:18pm On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

I was referring to Mr. troll
Oh..My bad. grin
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

First of all.
I explain The Yoruba creation story u claim it's just a lame folklore.

Many have said that to me too but it's funny how they subscribe to the big bang theory.
I have once explained the similarities between the Yoruba creation story and the big bang theory yet many call my ancestors bush men when they had already known wat science is just knowing

Hehehe, you mean the story of an ocean reaching heaven from earth and olodumare sending obatala to the earth with sand and chicken actually depicts the big bang theory.

Like I once said, everyone tries to be relevant to science. Muslims also claim the big bang was already foretold in the quran, christians claim there are scientific evidences in the bible.

How do you in good conscience dispel those beliefs of christians and muslims and boldly claim your own myth is correct.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

Hehehe, you mean the story of an ocean reaching heaven from earth and olodumare sending obatala to the earth with sand and chicken actually depicts the big bang theory.

Like I once said, everyone tries to be relevant to science. Muslims also claim the big bang was already foretold in the quran, christians claim there are scientific evidences in the bible.

How do you in good conscience dispel those beliefs of christians and muslims and boldly claim your own myth is correct.

Been called rationalmind doesn't equate being rational indeed.

What you got up there is lies and dishonesty. I personaly have explained this in many thread. Follow this link http://www.africaspeaks.com/reasoning/index.php?topic=3562.0;wap2 , you might get some sensible stuff there. I am tired typing epistle which later in the future you will deny
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Been called rationalmind doesn't equate being rational indeed.

What you got up there is lies and dishonesty. I personaly have explained this in many thread. Follow this link http://www.africaspeaks.com/reasoning/index.php?topic=3562.0;wap2 , you might get some sensible stuff there. I am tired typing epistle which later in the future you will deny

There is no lie nor dishonesty in my post. What I said was my literal understanding of the story. You were the one who is dishonest by trying to pretend you actually don't know I'm talking in the literal sense.

There is nothing in the link you gave me. Just someone using big words to say nothing.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 15, 2013
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

In addition to what I said earlier, there are christians who have also given symbolic and allegorical interpretations to the creation story in the bible. You people dismiss them all the same and expect others to take you serious.

Like I did say, you are not in anyway different from the christians and muslims you so much villify.

The only difference is, their BS is foreign, your own is local
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:24pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

There is no lie nor dishonesty in my post. What I said was my literal understanding of the story. You were the one who is dishonest by trying to pretend you actually don't know I'm talking in the literal sense.

Are you missioned on mockery with the literal sense when you were grinded with the philosophical sense in other threads and also the link I provided?

Apart from lies and dishonesty, you have proven you are insincere close minded folk. Your atheism should be hateism

rationalmind:

There is nothing in the link you gave me. Just someone using big words to say nothing.

Another lie. There is nothing like big words which you cant understand on that link. Tell us your other name is deceit.

The link explained the literal surface of how the universe came about. What you only want to see is an old man called Obatala who got drunk. Quit lying around like a kid
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

In addition to what I said earlier, there are christians who have also given symbolic and allegorical interpretations to the creation story in the bible. You people dismiss them all the same and expect others to take you serious.

Like I did say, you are not in anyway different from the christians and muslims you so much villify.

The only difference is, their BS is foreign, your own is local

This is silly. I didn't ask you to cry around.

There is nowhere I said am against christianity or hate the concept of christ. I once said I go to church on invitation even though I dont agree with most of their concepts.

I love some concepts of christianity like love, charity and respect for authority. Yes there are also some philosophical concepts like the tree of life which I agree mean intelligence.

I dont just believe in anthromorphical Gods with their omnis attribute because it illogical to my reasoning. If there is evidence today, I will believe.

I have agreed with some concepts in buddhism and hinduism. Both are the two eastern spirituality I read about. There is nothing like locality and foreign in what I accept or reject.

The greek spirituality is founded on cosmos. Zeus is sun, jove is jupiter. And what they called lucifer is planet venus. I know the real philosophical meaning relating to cosmos in this spirituality, why wouldn't I accept it?

Quit this self-obfuscation struggling to appear relevant through deceit.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Are you missioned on mockery with the literal sense when you were grinded with the philosophical sense in other threads and also the link I provided?

And if I see something that made me laugh, I shouldn't laugh because you will perceive it as mockery. Such nonsense.

The only philosophical sense is in your head.

FOLYKAZE: Apart from lies and dishonesty, you have proven you are insincere close minded folk. Your atheism should be hateism

Who cares about your silly opinion.
Yawns

FOLYKAZE: Another lie. There is nothing like big words which you cant understand on that link. Tell us your other name is deceit.

Then you go back to read the link. You must be impressed with the big words that are used to sugarcoat BS.

FOLYKAZE: The link explained the literal surface of how the universe came about. What you only want to see is an old man called Obatala who got drunk. Quit lying around like a kid

The link explained nothing. The only problem you have is confirmation bias. You are even worse than christians and muslims.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

This is silly. I didn't ask you to cry around.

There is nowhere I said am against christianity or hate the concept of christ. I once said I go to church on invitation even though I dont agree with most of their concepts.

I love some concepts of christianity like love, charity and respect for authority. Yes there are also some philosophical concepts like the tree of life which I agree mean intelligence.

I dont just believe in anthromorphical Gods with their omnis attribute because it illogical to my reasoning. If there is evidence today, I will believe.

I have agreed with some concepts in buddhism and hinduism. Both are the two eastern spirituality I read about. There is nothing like locality and foreign in what I accept or reject.

The greek spirituality is founded on cosmos. Zeus is sun, jove is jupiter. And what they called lucifer is planet venus. I know the real philosophical meaning relating to cosmos in this spirituality, why wouldn't I accept it?

Quit this self-obfuscation struggling to appear relevant through deceit.

Yawns
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:55pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

And if I see something that made me laugh, I shouldn't laugh because you will perceive it as mockery. Such nonsense.

You know what is what. The only thing you looking for is a old monster called Obatala who got drunk. You want this for mockery.

rationalmind:

The only philosophical sense is in your head.

Yes.... Eledumare is the cosmic singularity where the universe is birthed through massive explosion.

Obatala is the light particle that caused the explosion and which spread. The drunk state mean the cooling state of light particle.

Oduduwa is the womb of creation. The dark energy which produces the atom and compounds. It is said that it continued the task of Obatala when the later was drunk...cooled.

^^^does the above related with modern theory. Big bang?

Ogun is Iron leading the other Orisa into planet earth. Science said the outer and inner crust made up of Iron.

Yemoja is the icy comet that bombarded the earth. Yoruba people said she fell when she was running...and her belly gushed out water....from there vegetation and life came out. Modern Science said water on earth was as a result of icy comets that fell on earth. And this produces the life.

We were told Orisas climbed down on a chain in the water body....that is symbol which mean chain equates to dna and life sprang out of water body.

^^^does that sound like a primordial soup?

African man will accept anything of foreign even when they have the exact at home. This is inferior complexity on you.

Now tell me the philosophical state is only in my mind. You are embarrassing.

rationalmind:

Who cares about your silly opinion.
Yawns

It not for you to agree on. That is you in the mirror. You are a liar and clouded with pride. Your atheism is hateism. You hate truth that stand against your false knowledge.

rationalmind:

Then you go back to read the link. You must be impressed with the big words that are used to sugarcoat BS.

The link explained nothing. The only problem you have is confirmation bias. You are even worse than christians and muslims.

The link explained alot. You are blinded from seeing reality and truth. That is the effect of close mindness.

Just come out plain that you are looking for a monster that got drunk. I am not going down on your like. Be what you called...rational.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Reasons Christianity Makes No Sense / How Many Times Do You Have To "break A Curse" / Apostle Peter And The Principle Of Inclusivity Via Exclusivity Or The Remnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.