Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? (5254 Views)

Christianity; The Religion Not Founded By Jesus / Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready:

The story in genesis 1 is a heck of a lot more plausible than the big bang theory.

An intelligent creator creates the universe vs it appeared out of nowhere as a point mass singularity of zero volume and infinite density spinning furiously and then at some point it decides to explode and create a bunch of humans...

You find the story of plants created before the sun plausible and how the all powerful God rested because he was tired.

You agree with me the universe is expanding. If the universe is expanding, it must have started from a particular point.

The big bang theory is an attempt to try to explain that particular point where the expansion started. Its the best explanation for the evidences at hand. If anyother explanation or evidence comes out tomrw, it will be thrown out of the door.

No one is saying the theory is 100 percent true. Its just that, given the available evidences, its the most plausible explanation

3 Likes

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 9:09pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready:

The story in genesis 1 is a heck of a lot more plausible than the big bang theory.

An intelligent creator creates the universe vs it appeared out of nowhere as a point mass singularity of zero volume and infinite density spinning furiously and then at some point it decides to explode and create a bunch of humans...

The big bang is Intelligence at work.

You know the Yoruba creation story seems so similar with the bing bang theory
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by raptureready: 9:32pm On Dec 07, 2013
rationalmind:

You find the story of plants created before the sun plausible and how the all powerful God rested because he was tired.

Plants created before the sun? I'm quite sure the bible never said that.

That's probably a typo and you mean planets, hopefully. What stops him from creating the planets first? The bible did say he "set the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night" which is probably where he set the whole solar system and gravity gimmick in place, whether he chose to create the planets or sun first is immaterial.

The bible never said God rested because he was tired. That may just be metaphorically saying God stopped because he was done.

rationalmind: You agree with me the universe is expanding. If the universe is expanding, it must have started from a particular point.

Agree with the first.

Disagree with the second. Whenever something expands it does not mean it started as point mass.

For example, if you heat up a volume of air, it expands. Does it mean the volume of air began as point mass? Even if you remove every last amount of heat from it and take it to absolute zero temperature, it still retains some energy, called zero point energy. It still also retains some mass and volume. If the big bang theory were in any way true, then because all substances expand, thus at absolute zero, all substances will
be a point mass singularity.

rationalmind: The big bang theory is an attempt to try to explain that particular point where the expansion started. Its the best explanation for the evidences at hand. If anyother explanation or evidence comes out tomrw, it will be thrown out of the door.

No one is saying the theory is 100 percent true. Its just that, given the available evidences, its the most plausible explanation

Thank you.

You are the first atheist to willingly admit this to me on NL.

The last time I told your friends making fun of the creation story, that their darling big bang theory is also imperfect, they just jumped down my throat.

Please help me and tell them too...
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready:

Plants created before the sun? I'm quite sure the bible never said that.

That's probably a typo and you mean planets, hopefully. What stops him from creating the planets first? The bible did say he "set the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night" which is probably where he set the whole solar system and gravity gimmick in place, whether he chose to create the planets or sun first is immaterial.

The bible never said God rested because he was tired. That may just be metaphorically saying God stopped because he was done.

Agree with the first.

Disagree with the second. Whenever something expands it does not mean it started as point mass.

For example, if you heat up a volume of air, it expands. Does it mean the volume of air began as point mass? Even if you remove every last amount of heat from it and take it to absolute zero temperature, it still retains some energy, called zero point energy. It still also retains some mass and volume. If the big bang theory were in any way true, then because all substances expand, thus at absolute zero, all substances will
be a point mass singularity.

Thank you.

You are the first atheist to willingly admit this to me on NL.

The last time I told your friends making fun of the creation story, that their darling big bang theory is also imperfect, they just jumped down my throat.

Please help me and tell them too...

Pay attention to the bolded. Words in bracket were put by me for emphasis sake.
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the
earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and
darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the
Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was
light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God
divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he
called Night. And the evening and the morning were
the first day.
6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst
of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the
waters.
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the
waters which were under the firmament from the
waters which were above the firmament: and it was
so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the
evening and the morning were the second day.
9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be
gathered together unto one place, and let the dry
land appear: and it was so.
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the
gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and
God saw that it was good.
11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the
herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit
after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth:
and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb
yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding
fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and
God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third
day.
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament
of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and
let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days,
and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the
heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light(the sun) to
rule the day, and the lesser light(the moon) to rule the night: he
made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to
give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to
divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that
it was good
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 07, 2013
Hehehe, and what u said about metaphors is quite hilarious
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by raptureready: 10:06pm On Dec 07, 2013
What about verse 4 and 5?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready: What about verse 4 and 5?

Verse 4 and 5 talked about how he created day and night. It appears from the verses he created the day and night first, then later created the sun and moon. He then made the sun exist during the day, the moon at night.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by raptureready: 10:45pm On Dec 07, 2013
It says he created light, which you gotta admit is what plants basically need...
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) Who told you that I believe the crap in bold?

2)Bonobos are our cousins? You high, bro?

LB I've seen you say you don't believe in the Big Bang. If you don't believe the 'Big Bang' and you don't believe in creationism, what do you believe?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 07, 2013
rapture_ready: It says he created light, which you gotta admit is what plants basically need...

No, the light he created wrt the verse is day. The darkness, night. Its right there in chapter 5.

Plants don't need light. They need the sun for photosynthesis. God obviously created the plants after the sun. Is it that fable you find more plausible? Smh

Come to think of it, if the light in verse 4 was referring to the sun, why did he have to recreate the sun again in verse 16?

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 11:43pm On Dec 07, 2013
its funny how @rapture showed compelling evidence that we are actually related to bonobos but for some reason chose not to believe it. lol, cognitive dissonance.

as for evidence of genesis creation though... undecided

or 6000yr old earth... undecided

or creation of earth before the sun... undecided

or having night and day even before the sun was created.... undecided

or the moon providing its own light.... undecided

or the stars(which of course according to genesis is different from the sun) existing in a firmament just for our viewing pleasure.... undecided

or woman from a rib.... undecided

Funny funny religitards grin

4 Likes

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by bolaino(m): 11:53pm On Dec 07, 2013
Logicboy03: Seriously?

Let us examine the evidence

1) We have our resident Hell activist, Mr Olaadegbu- a christian that keeps posting testimonies about hell as if he has been to hell to verify these stories. Not only that, the guy keeps quoting constantly debunked creationist websites and people- (evolutionvsGod, Ray Comfort, answers in genesis)

2) We have people claiming that Mandela is in hell
https://www.nairaland.com/1546130/mandela-hell-fire-well-what-these

3) We have our very own tithe collector on Nairaland- Mr Joagbaje, claiming that
a) Real christians do not fall sick https://www.nairaland.com/599451/pastor-chris-oyakhilome-don-t
b) Demons can send texts https://www.nairaland.com/1469553/demons-send-sms-those-experience

4) We have Jehovah witnesses preferring a sick patient to die than to receive blood transfusion
http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2013/08/jehovahs-witnesses-and-blood
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2400938/Jehovahs-Witness-wife-died-refusing-blood-transfusion-jailed-13-years-child-sex-abuse-covered-religions-elders.html

5)We have our very own prophet of doom here on Nairaland- Obadiah777 (only 111 away from 666).
Obadiah gleefully waits for the world to be destroyed with very epic scenarios.

a) He sees supernatural plagues of bloody rivers (ignoring the red dye that explains a natural event) https://www.nairaland.com/1543983/rivers-turn-blood-red-lebanon-china
b) He sees some people getting nuked and some races becoming slaves after the armageddon https://www.nairaland.com/1451323/obadiah-777-how-relate-ideas#18330905

=======================================================================================
Imagine if an atheist did some of these things- the atheist would have been quickly branded as "crazy", "militant" or "dangerous". However, when it comes to religion, it becomes a matter of "let us respect their beliefs"

Joagbaje is a top pastor in Nigeria
Obadiah777 is a mod on Africa's biggest website
Jehovah's witness is a recognized christian denomination

smh

^^^^
. Logicboy my good friend, pls repent and beg God. For forgiveness, you do not know the error you're making in trying to ridicule christians, you are. Blaspheming against. God, and that's. A. Commandment you're breaking, thou shalt not use the name of the lord in. Vain, you insulting christians you are insulting our God indirectly, there are repercussions for that, pls change my dear brother, I will keep praying for you.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 12:02am On Dec 08, 2013
grin grin grin cheesy
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 12:07am On Dec 08, 2013
rapture_ready: What about verse 4 and 5?

Wat about verse 16?

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by irreligious: 12:39am On Dec 08, 2013
While the idea that humans and the earth are a product of events that took place yearsss ago might sound a little out of place to some people, one thing I am sure of is that the earth was not created by a magician who simply said ''let there be...''.

Also, man and woman were not created by this same invisible man who moulded a human life figure and breath the ''breath of life'' into him and then took a rib from the man to create a woman.

The biblical story of creation is one that was written by cave men who were trying to figure out how they and the earth came to be.

If some people can actually believe this dull story and build their lives around it, then I fear for the human race.

7 Likes

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by UKDBOSS: 2:12am On Dec 08, 2013
The spiritual works based on totally different principles 4rm d physical. In the physical, seein is believin but in the spiritual many @ tyms believn is a perequisite for seein. Faith defies logic, but this itself is a logical statement so faith is logical. D fact dat u hv not seen or experiencd sumtin doesnt mean it is false and d fact that u ve seen or experiencd sumtin doesnt mean its true either because d apparent is not always d truth. Dis is not to say dat i believe d hell stories, doom prophecies, etc, but they cannot b described as insane because to the insane d sane looks insane. What we must be interestd in findn out is wat d truth is and not in critisizn other ppls beliefs......... #my longest post on nairaland
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

Wat about verse 16?

grin grin the verse 4 and 5 he even mentioned had nothing to do with the sun.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 08, 2013
UKDBOSS: The spiritual works based on totally different principles 4rm d physical. In the physical, seein is believin but in the spiritual many @ tyms believn is a perequisite for seein. Faith defies logic, but this itself is a logical statement so faith is logical. D fact dat u hv not seen or experiencd sumtin doesnt mean it is false and d fact that u ve seen or experiencd sumtin doesnt mean its true either because d apparent is not always d truth. Dis is not to say dat i believe d hell stories, doom prophecies, etc, but they cannot b described as insane because to the insane d sane looks insane. What we must be interestd in findn out is wat d truth is and not in critisizn other ppls beliefs......... #my longest post on nairaland

CRAP

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 7:44am On Dec 08, 2013
UKDBOSS: The spiritual works based on totally different principles 4rm d physical. In the physical, seein is believin but in the spiritual many @ tyms believn is a perequisite for seein. Faith defies logic, but this itself is a logical statement so faith is logical. D fact dat u hv not seen or experiencd sumtin doesnt mean it is false and d fact that u ve seen or experiencd sumtin doesnt mean its true either because d apparent is not always d truth. Dis is not to say dat i believe d hell stories, doom prophecies, etc, but they cannot b described as insane because to the insane d sane looks insane. What we must be interestd in findn out is wat d truth is and not in critisizn other ppls beliefs......... #my longest post on nairaland

If this is your longest post, I'm afraid what your shorter posts look like.

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by nnofaith: 9:04am On Dec 08, 2013
Why do xtians act as if yahweh literarily wrote the bible?!

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 9:52am On Dec 08, 2013
nnofaith: Why do xtians act as if yahweh literarily wrote the bible?!

True! "Word of God"...."God said" etc.
As if they ever heard Yahweh?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by nnofaith: 11:34am On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

why would any intelligent person not find "The holy book was written by men inspired by the holy spirit" disturbing?! What is the evidence that god inspired these men?.

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 11:55am On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

I have. I guess that makes me mentally ill to you.
If that's your definition, then I must be.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
texanomaly:

lol...you are.....

Mental illness doesnt mean one is crazy.......for instance, people have OCD some people cant miulti-task.....

I had the same affliction you had....believing in stories that you know are false....do you really believe in witches and wizards? Because they are in the bible
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Dec 08, 2013
texanomaly:

grin grin its just your mind playing tricks on you. Several other peeps have also claimed to hear the voice of allah, krishna and buddha. How do you explain that

3 Likes

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by nnofaith: 12:55pm On Dec 08, 2013
texanomaly:

Lol!
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 2:18pm On Dec 08, 2013
texanomaly:

Lol grin u heard Yahweh?

How was his voice? Soft or bold? Does he talk in rhymes or acappella mode

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

Lol grin u heard Yahweh?

I heard that his voice was thunderous cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 4:59pm On Dec 08, 2013
Logicboy03:

lol...you are.....

Mental illness doesnt mean one is crazy.......for instance, people have OCD some people cant miulti-task.....

I had the same affliction you had....believing in stories that you know are false....do you really believe in witches and wizards? Because they are in the bible

I said God has talked to me. What does that have to do with witches and wizards?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 5:04pm On Dec 08, 2013
rationalmind:

grin grin its just your mind playing tricks on you. Several other peeps have also claimed to hear the voice of allah, krishna and buddha. How do you explain that

I am only talking about my own experience. Their experiences are theirs to attest.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 5:07pm On Dec 08, 2013
macof:

Lol grin u heard Yahweh?

He was soothing a child in a very confusing, frightening and painful situation. How do you think he sounded?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 5:25pm On Dec 08, 2013
texanomaly:

He was soothing a child in a very confusing, frightening and painful situation. How do you think he sounded?

I think he sounded like ur brain playing tricks on u

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Will You Vote For An Atheist In An Election? / Christians In Jerusalem Want Jews To Stop Spitting On Them / The Birth And Death Of Yahweh(from The BOOK OF TRUTH)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.