Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,426 members, 7,836,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? (5288 Views)

Christianity; The Religion Not Founded By Jesus / Belief In God Is A Mental Illness by APA / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 10:51pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

You know what is what. The only thing you looking for is a old monster called Obatala who got drunk. You want this for mockery.

Yes.... Eledumare is the cosmic singularity where the universe is birthed through massive explosion.

Obatala is the light particle that caused the explosion and which spread. The drunk state mean the cooling state of light particle.

Oduduwa is the womb of creation. The dark energy which produces the atom and compounds. It is said that it continued the task of Obatala when the later was drunk...cooled.

^^^does the above related with modern theory. Big bang?

Ogun is Iron leading the other Orisa into planet earth. Science said the outer and inner crust made up of Iron.

Yemoja is the icy comet that bombarded the earth. Yoruba people said she fell when she was running...and her belly gushed out water....from there vegetation and life came out. Modern Science said water on earth was as a result of icy comets that fell on earth. And this produces the life.

We were told Orisas climbed down on a chain in the water body....that is symbol which mean chain equates to dna and life sprang out of water body.

^^^does that sound like a primordial soup?

African man will accept anything of foreign even when they have the exact at home. This is inferior complexity on you.

Now tell me the philosophical state is only in my mind. You are embarrassing.
grin grin grin

nothing person no go see for nairaland.

when you can claim something is a metaphor then everybody will have a private interpretation of it.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:58pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll: grin grin grin

nothing person no go see for nairaland.

when you can claim something is a metaphor then everybody will have a private interpretation of it.

how?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 11:07pm On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

Goes to show how slave minded u are.

People like You are willing to accept that their origin is Mecca when Oral history clearly states Ile-Ife

let me stop this nonsense right here. just because it was said by my ancestors doesn't in anyway make it true. there is nothing slave minded about accepting scientifically verified findings even when they contradict previously held beliefs or when they are different from your ancestral history.

people don't breathe fire. it is impossible. so even if the most respected ifa adherent with the best memory says it, I will not believe it. simple and short.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

how?

Meaning, anyone can come up with his own interpretation. I can interprete it to mean the creation story in genesis. Someone else can interprete it to mean the creation story in islam. Someone who is very creative can even interprete it to mean evolution
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:11pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll:

let me stop this nonsense right here. just because it was said by my ancestors doesn't in anyway make it true. there is nothing slave minded about accepting scientifically verified findings even when they contradict previously held beliefs or when they are different from your ancestral history.

people don't breathe fire. it is impossible. so even if the most respected ifa adherent with the best memory says it, I will not believe it. simple and short.

grooving here with the God of Afropop.

Why black man dey suffer? - fela.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:14pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

Meaning, anyone can come up with his own interpretation. I can interprete it to mean the creation story in genesis. Someone else can interprete it to mean the creation story in islam.

You weren't interpreting anything but mocking those that did. Remember I came in between you and Macof?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

You weren't interpreting anything but mocking those that did. Remember I came in between you and Macof?

You don start o. This isn't about me. You asked how to what Mr Troll said and I only attempted to explain his statement to you.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 11:20pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll:

So wat if I say "people don't go into space. It's impossible"

pls don't try to justify mental slavery.
a man who is quick to accept western views and dismiss his ancestry is nothing but a slave
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 11:22pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

Meaning, anyone can come up with his own interpretation. I can interprete it to mean the creation story in genesis. Someone else can interprete it to mean the creation story in islam. Someone who is very creative can even interprete it to mean evolution

Lol cheesy lies, all lies

Let me see u try
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:25pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

You don start o. This isn't about me. You asked how to what Mr Troll said and I only attempted to explain his statement to you.

See brah. That is how I understand it. Let others come with their views so that we compare it. I don tire abeg. If I visit Igbodu, I will see the Orisas and Odu manifesting before me.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

Lol cheesy lies, all lies

Let me see u try

Lol, give me some days to think it through. I promise to get back to you.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

See brah. That is how I understand it. Let others come with their views so that we compare it. I don tire abeg. If I visit Igbodu, I will see the Orisas and Odu manifesting before me.

grin grin grin grin
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 11:27pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

how?
do you understand why in Christianity there are tithers and non-tithers? Trinitarians and Unitarians? hell fire and no hell fire proponents? all using one bible?

and finally Obadiah777?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:32pm On Dec 15, 2013
rationalmind:

grin grin grin grin

All you can.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Dec 15, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

All you can.

Lol, what else do you want me to say?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 11:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
macof:

So wat if I say "people don't go into space. It's impossible"

pls don't try to justify mental slavery.
a man who is quick to accept western views and dismiss his ancestry is nothing but a slave
do you know anything about the laws of nature at all?

there is nothing western about scientific views. in your desperate attempt not to appear like a slave, you actually come across as foolish, irrational and dogmatic. I dismiss bullshit irrespective of origin. why should I hold unto bullshit just because it is local?

dragons don't exist, donkeys don't talk to humans, people don't breathe fire nor spit thunder. bullshit remains bullshit no matter how dressed up you try to make yours.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:34pm On Dec 15, 2013
Mr Troll: do you understand why in Christianity there are tithers and non-tithers? Trinitarians and Unitarians? hell fire and no hell fire proponents? all using one bible?

and finally Obadiah777?

Spirituality is personal. Religion is not and has rules.

Goodnight
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
@ macof, in addition to that, in any case I'm unable to do it, that doesn't mean someone else can't. People are more creative than each other and these type of things aren't my forte.

All the same I'll try
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 12:27am On Dec 16, 2013
Mr Troll: do you know anything about the laws of nature at all?

there is nothing western about scientific views. in your desperate attempt not to appear like a slave, you actually come across as foolish, irrational and dogmatic. I dismiss bullshit irrespective of origin. why should I hold unto bullshit just because it is local?

dragons don't exist, donkeys don't talk to humans, people don't breathe fire nor spit thunder. bullshit remains bullshit no matter how dressed up you try to make yours.

Then I would say u are not exposed
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 12:29am On Dec 16, 2013
rationalmind: @ macof, in addition to that, in any case I'm unable to do it, that doesn't mean someone else can't. People are more creative than each other and these type of things aren't my forte.

All the same I'll try

Pls stop giving useless excuses.

The Bible creation story is incomplete and NO CHRISTIAN WOULD AGREE WITH YOUR DELIBERATE TWIST OF THE BIBLE

This is not about creativity, I only interpret not create.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 12:56am On Dec 16, 2013
macof:

Then I would say u are not exposed
lol, ok.

macof:

The Bible creation story is incomplete and NO CHRISTIAN WOULD AGREE WITH YOUR DELIBERATE TWIST OF THE BIBLE

grin
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 1:17am On Dec 16, 2013
Mr Troll: lol, ok.

grin

When u go to a Babalawo he would dafa for u and Ifa's message would read in symbolic representation, it is the Babalawo that would interpret for u.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 1:22am On Dec 16, 2013
macof:

When u go to a Babalawo he would dafa for u and Ifa's message would read in symbolic representation, it is the Babalawo that would interpret for u.
how convenient!
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 1:27am On Dec 16, 2013
hello Mr Troll
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by MrTroll(m): 1:30am On Dec 16, 2013
texanomaly: hello Mr Troll
angry
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by texanomaly(f): 2:15am On Dec 16, 2013
Mr Troll: angry

What did i do now?
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 16, 2013
macof:

Can't you comprehend simple statements?

Anybody can come up with any interpretation. Is that too difficult for your brain to grasp?

Who cares whether christians agree with my interpretation, who do you think agrees with your twisting of a stupid story to mean the big bang.

To even show your silliness. The bible story is incomplete, its your obatala fable that is complete. What a doofus.

Abeg, shift
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 9:11am On Dec 16, 2013
rationalmind:

Can't you comprehend simple statements?

Anybody can come up with any interpretation. Is that too difficult for your brain to grasp?

Who cares whether christians agree with my interpretation, who do you think agrees with your twisting of a stupid story to mean the big bang.

To even show your silliness. The bible story is incomplete, its your obatala fable that is complete. What a doofus.

Abeg, shift

As I said before ur mentality is Christianised and u are not a true atheist because u still use Christianity to view every form of religion or spirituality.

Because ur brain has been so deep in believing skydaddy it's difficult for u to accept that skydaddy doesn't really exist in spirituality but just SYMBOLIC REPRESENTATION

It's like u trying to give ur own interpretation of wat u know nothing about.

Christianity u know, now give interpretation if that could ever be possible for a Christianised mentality who can't see anything other than SKYDADDY SITTING ON A THRONE

That's wat is affecting u atheist on NL, you truly haven't grown in consciousness, you only choose to disbelieve for pride and rebellion sake for somethings you find illogical and lame.
Now am explaining this seemingly illogical thing to show u wat My ancestors meant when they created Skydaddy personification.

You just can't except that ancient men living in mud houses and caves were smart folks who had crack the universe open and found it's mysteries.
It's difficult for u to accept that philosophy didn't start with modern science.

You are an Egba do u know ur history? off course not, how would you when you think those cave men living under Olumo rock couldn't be trusted with oral history.

The fact is that you have self hate within you, and pride takes it to a whole new level.

I am waiting for anybody with sound knowledge of Yoruba paganism to prove me wrong

1 Like

Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 9:15am On Dec 16, 2013
macof:

As I said before ur mentality is Christianised and u are not a true atheist because u still use Christianity to view every form of religion or spirituality.

Because ur brain has been so deep in believing skydaddy it's difficult for u to accept that skydaddy doesn't really exist in spirituality but just SYMBOLIC REPRESENTATION

It's like u trying to give ur own interpretation of wat u know nothing about.

Christianity u know, now give interpretation if that could ever be possible for a Christianised mentality who can't see anything other than SKYDADDY SITTING ON A THRONE

That's wat is affecting u atheist on NL, you truly haven't grown in consciousness, you only choose to disbelieve for pride and rebellion sake for somethings you find illogical and lame.
Now am explaining this seemingly illogical thing to show u wat My ancestors meant when they created Skydaddy personification.

You just can't except that ancient men living in mud houses and caves were smart folks who had crack the universe open and found it's mysteries.
It's difficult for u to accept that philosophy didn't start with modern science.

You are an Egba do u know ur history? off course not, how would you when you think those cave men living under Olumo rock couldn't be trusted with oral history.

The fact is that you have self hate within you, and pride takes it to a whole new level.

I am waiting for anybody with sound knowledge of Yoruba paganism to prove me wrong

Na you know brother. All these are your SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS.

So, if I don't accept oral tradition as reliable, its the same as I don't know or haven't heard those oral traditions.
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 9:29am On Dec 16, 2013
rationalmind:

Na you know brother. All these are your SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS.

So, if I don't accept oral tradition as reliable, its the same as I don't know or haven't heard those oral traditions.

Do u believe them is the issue.

About 300yrs ago, No one had a pen and paper in yorubaland, it wasn't until the Arabs came that Oyo knew how important writing was.

calculation of items in farm stores and other things were all done without paper
History classes were done Oral by the elder to the little children.
The Yoruba people(at least our ancients) have this attitude of extreme love for their culture and as the saying goes "Odo to gbagbe Orisun re a gbe"
This was the motto of Yoruba people that always kept it necessary to know their origin.

Another one was "a man who doesn't know where he is coming from can never know where he is going to"

Oral history I trust
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 16, 2013
macof:

Do u believe them is the issue.

About 300yrs ago, No one had a pen and paper in yorubaland, it wasn't until the Arabs came that Oyo knew how important writing was.

calculation of items in farm stores and other things were all done without paper
History classes were done Oral by the elder to the little children.
The Yoruba people(at least our ancients) have this attitude of extreme love for their culture and as the saying goes "Odo to gbagbe Orisun re a gbe"
This was the motto of Yoruba people that always kept it necessary to know their origin.

Another one was "a man who doesn't know where he is coming from can never know where he is going to"

Oral history I trust

Good for you.

And I never told you I don't accept oral traditions to some extent. I only said I don't consider it reliable.

Let's look at this scenario, tradition tells us that lisabi delivered the people of egbaland from the oppressions from the old oyo empire. This is sensible.

Now, look at this one. Same tradition tells us lisabi didn't die but varnished into the earth in a forest. Is this sensible?

That is where I start having problems with oral traditions and its because of such reasons I can't trust it 100%
Re: How Is Religion Not A Form Of Mental Illness At Times? by macof(m): 9:48am On Dec 16, 2013
rationalmind:

Good for you.

And I never told you I don't accept oral traditions to some extent. I only said I don't consider it reliable.

Let's look at this scenario, tradition tells us that lisabi delivered the people of egbaland from the oppressions from the old oyo empire. This is sensible.

Now, look at this one. Same tradition tells us lisabi didn't die but varnished into the earth in a forest. Is this sensible?

That is where I start having problems with oral traditions and its because of such reasons I can't trust it 100%

In the Bible. It was written Elijah entered heaven with a Chariot of fire horses.

It is also written that Jesus born of a virgin

Same Jesus died, resurrected and elevated gradually until he reached the sky and disappeared.

Now do you believe this because it was written and not passed through generations Orally?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

God Wants Me To Kill My Dad / Christians Worship Zeus As Their Christ With All Their Heart, Soul And Strength / Atheist Christian:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.