Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? (3736 Views)

The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease / Prenatal Diagnosis Of A Baby's Genotype: Is It Been Done In Nigeria? / How Effective Is Nicosan For The Treatment Of Sickle Cell ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Genial(m): 8:45pm On Jun 17, 2006
The term 'hemoglobinopathies' refers to a group of congenital blood conditions, of which Sickle Cell Disorder (SCD) and Beta-thalassemia are good examples.

Prenatal Diagnosis (PND) is aimed at detecting the presence of the gene responsible for the condition in the unborn fetus. It determines whether the gene is present in homozygous or heterozygous form, and hence can differentiate between asymptomatic carriers and sufferers of the condition. In the case of Sickle Cell Disorder (SCD), the corresponding genotypes would be AS and SS respectively.

Please see the following link: http://www.blackhealthcare.com/BHC/SickleCell/Diagnosis.asp

I have been a part of a PND team dealing with SCD in Nigeria, and have observed the following:

1. The patients were from all walks of life and different ethno-religious persuasions. In the vast majority of cases, they said that they would terminate the pregnancy if the fetus was found to have the SS genotype. Some of these patients already had 3 or more children suffering from the condtion. In some cases, the patients had lost all but one or two of their children to the condition.

No significant correlation with ethnic origin or religion could be established among those that said they would not terminate the pregnancy. It appeared that those who would keep the pregnancy did so for mainly personal, health and family reasons.

2. We were criticized in certain quarters. Those that levelled the criticism said that by offering PND services, we encouraged people to engage in abortion. Please note that most of these people had not at anytime experienced SCD personally - either through friends or family.

Note also that we did not offer abortion services. According to recognised conventions on prenatal diagnosis, we counselled each patient before accepting to offer them the procedure. During the counselling sessions the patients were informed, among other things, about the procedure. We also offered them support if they decided that they would keep the pregnancy regardless of the test result.

In your own opinion, is prenatal diagnosis good or bad, seeing that it forces the parents to make a choice that they would otherwise not have to make?
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by kajad(m): 8:50pm On Jun 17, 2006
I will be back when you start speaking English! undecided

1 Like

Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Genial(m): 8:53pm On Jun 17, 2006
undecided  undecided  undecided

I'm sorry if that was too technical. What would you like me to explain?
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Shagari2(m): 12:37am On Jun 18, 2006
Its a good idea but there are certainly ethical questions to ask, as far as I know being SS is not incompatible to life, what then gives us the right to terminate the pregnancy you see this brings to front the whole abortion rights debate, if it were a dx that is incompatible with life then may be one can make a stronger case for abortion, an SS child in my view has the right to live and thrive.

More should be done in educating AS indivduals not to choose an AS partner
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Genial(m): 12:34pm On Jun 18, 2006
Shagari2:

Its a good idea but there are certainly ethical questions to ask

You're right about that. It is the point of this topic.

Shagari2:

Its a good idea but there are certainly ethical questions to ask, as far as I know being SS is not incompatible to life, what then gives us the right to terminate the pregnancy you see this brings to front the whole abortion rights debate, if it were a dx that is incompatible with life then may be one can make a stronger case for abortion, an SS child in my view has the right to live and thrive.

You're also right about that. The severity of SS condition is not the same in all cases. In some cases, possibly like one already mentioned on another thread on this site, the sufferers live relatively healthy lives. In other cases, however, it is very severe, and sufferers often do not make it past the first few years of their lives. There is at present no fool-proof way of knowing which case would be more severe, or less.

Shagari2:

More should be done in educating AS indivduals not to choose an AS partner

Good point. I can tell you that a lot of effort is being put into educating young people who are not yet married about the potential risk of marrying a "genetically incompatible" partner. They are encouraged to know their blood genotypes and offered premarital counselling with respect to SCD.

But what about the couples who have been married already? Some of those with whom we came in contact have been married for up to 20 years and more. Some were victims of the proliferation of ill-qualified medical laboratories in the country. I saw certain cases in which the couple took all the necessary steps to avoid genetic incompatibility - took genotype tests, etc. Unfortunately, the medical lab that did the test gave the wrong result and, in one particular case, it took the birth of an SS child to realise that something was not quite right. Needless to say, it also caused other problems.

We were able to counsel this couple, re-test them, and discover that they were both AS, contrary to what they previously believed.

What do you say about such a case? How would you advise them on the choice of partner, seeing that the choice was already made?
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Shagari2(m): 10:46pm On Jun 18, 2006
I understand their plight, but where do you draw the line, what of parents that want boys can they terminate the girls, should we give the right to 'choose' blonde kids blue eyed kids I mean the list goes on. May be there should be some gray areas allowed and not complete open or closed case but its a very thin line that must be walked with care and the upmost respect for the right not only of the parents but even more important, the child. Choose life.
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Genial(m): 10:54pm On Jun 18, 2006
Once again you make very good points, Shagari.

We actually had some couples call us to demand that we run sex determining tests for them. In one case, the couple had 6 daughters and wanted a son.

We purposely declined to include the test for the reason you adduced.

But does it mean that couples, especially the women, who have a genuine need should be denied access to the service?

Remember that not all of them choose to terminate the pregnancy, although the majority said they would.
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Shagari2(m): 11:24pm On Jun 18, 2006
I don't think the services shoud be denied them, as long as the technology is available they have a right to know what problems may lay ahead particularly as both parents know they are carriers, my problem is when they come to make a choice of termnating the pregnancy. 1st I think they should not be encouraged to take that path as SS individuals these days can live an almost normal life, our knowledge of SCDx has improved so much and hence the quality of life of SS sufferers has improved (in the west) 2nd; they need appropriate councelling and must be well informed to make their choice but still who protects the poor child?
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by parosky(m): 3:15pm On Jun 29, 2006
Guess you people talking are doctors. At least Genial.
This is basically an ethical issue. In medicine there are many factors that come into play before taking a particular decision. If SCD is determined in-utero and the mother decided on terminating the pregnancy, I think she should be allowed to take such decision. Do you imagine what agony you have saved a woman who would add another sickler to about 3 she already had. Some of them had died and her in-law (in African setting) are breathing down her neck that she is a witch who killed her own children. Marital, psychological, economic, social problems and all. The problem is almost similar to that faced by some families plagued by some congenital abnormalities such as erythroblastosis fetalis,congenital thrombocytopenic purpura to mention a few. (A woman would actually be reluctant to be discharged home from the hospital because she lost another newly born as she would not want to meet her in-laws with the story)
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by milayo(f): 3:54pm On Sep 24, 2011
Great topic, I really need to do the prenatal test to know the genotype of my baby. Pls how can I get ur contact Mr genial?
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by BIL2010: 5:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
@Milayo Did you end up going to any of the hospitals ? Which one ? Please do share your experience!!! Eagerly waiting!!!!
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by kevoh(m): 10:07am On Mar 08, 2015
In reference to the previous Sickle Cell thread that made frontPage recently, https://www.nairaland.com/2182489/wife-divorce-husband-because-he , I propose this as a worthy material for frontpage to create awareness for intending AS couples and the options they're unaware they have.

CC the Oga moderators: Obinoscopy, lalasticlala, OAMJ4, Ishilove
Re: Prenatal Diagnosis Of Sickle Cell Disorder: Good Or Bad? by Abali1(m): 9:54pm On Mar 08, 2015
My opinion will be this; why spend a lot of time and money going through PND, when you can spend little of that time and money educating the public about the dangers of AS/AS marital union.
In the other thread I was against the woman divorcing her husband simply because she was already married to him. If they were still at the courtship stage I would have adviced that she break up the relationship.
Adults often make mistakes, and some think that it is okay to use a wrong to right a wrong..... She had the time during courtship to drag the man to any reputable laboratory of her choice and get him tested, but no. She was so much in love (or was it lust) that she believed his words.
Then, she instead of taking responsibilities for her oversight and giving her child the best she could, she goes ahead to get a divorce thinking it will right her mistake in not doing what she was supposed to do initially.
PND, supports abortion pure and simple. And since you can't say which case would be severe or mild, then who are you to decide which fetus lives or is terminated.
Memo to Dyt
I was banned in the other thread and I don't know why.

(1) (Reply)

Garri And Mango / Help With Acne{pimples} Treatment And Dark Spots / Help! How Do I Gain Weight?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.